• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would Smash Bros be a success if it DID NOT have the Nintendo properties?

Kagey K

Banned
There are too many Smash clones out there that tried and failed, only because they didn’t have Nintendo’s properties.

I mean look at Brawlhalla, it has all Ubi properties, plus WWE and some other crossovers, and it doesn’t get anywhere near Smash in terms of popularity.

There are too many Smash clones out there that tried and failed, only because they didn’t have Nintendo’s properties.

I mean look at Brawlhalla, it has all Ubi properties, plus WWE and some other crossovers, and it doesn’t get anywhere near Smash in terms of popularity.
Out of all the smash ones brawlhalla has the biggest audience. It consistently has around 10k people on the pc servers alone at all time so combine consoles and your looking at 30-40k or so. Plis brawlhalla has something smash doesnt. Functioning net code. The brawlhalla netcode is damn good and uses a ggpo variant.

Kagey K

Banned
Out of all the smash ones brawlhalla has the biggest audience. It consistently has around 10k people on the pc servers alone at all time so combine consoles and your looking at 30-40k or so. Plis brawlhalla has something smash doesnt. Functioning net code. The brawlhalla netcode is damn good and uses a ggpo variant.
But it still doesn’t have the same draw as Smash, why is that? Nintendo.

I’m not saying either of them are bad games. I’m just trying to draw a comparison.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The qu

The question is of the game itself. Would smash bros be as big a success on the merits of its gameplay alone without the nintendo properties. Of course nintendo would make new characters for the game, but no mario, samus, link, donkey kong, zelda or any already made characters.
Gamers could be distracted by the characters yes, other fighting games are VERY TOUGH. I like the gameplay thought despite that statement though.

Shifty

The Smash mechanics and their various derivatives are worthy of merit in their own right.

Rivals of Aether was a fun time.

No. Inclusion of Nintendo characters was one of the ideas that led to the very first game.

Super Smash Bros. was developed by HAL Laboratory, a Nintendo second-party developer, during 1998. Masahiro Sakurai was interested in making a fighting game for four players. As he did not yet have any original ideas, his first designs were of simple base characters.

He made a presentation of what was then called Kakuto-Geemu Ryuoh (Dragon King: The Fighting Game) to co-worker Satoru Iwata, who helped him continue. Sakurai understood that many fighting games did not sell well and that he had to think of a way to make his game original. His first idea was to include famous Nintendo characters and put them in a fight. Knowing he would not get permission, Sakurai made a prototype of the game without sanction from Nintendo and did not inform them until he was sure the game was well-balanced.

The prototype he presented featured Mario, Donkey Kong, Samus and Fox as playable characters. The idea was later approved. Although never acknowledged by Nintendo or any developers behind Super Smash Bros., third party sources have identified Namco's 1995 fighting game The Outfoxies as a possible inspiration.

Wikipedia
The Cutting Room Floor
Iwata Asks: Dragon King: The Fighting Game

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Like most Nintendo games, the draw for me is the snappy, responsive, satisfying gameplay loop.

Most of the characters mean little to me personally despite growing up with the NES, SNES and N64.

Top Bottom