• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would Steam change drastically if Gabe Newell ceased to exist?

Gamezone

Gold Member
I think this is a valid question. How much do one man control the entire infrastructure? I remember when the Steam employes didn`t want to allow Hatred on Steam, but suddenly Gabe found out, and suddenly these people couldn`t do anything about the situation. I can imagine that things doesn`t work that way in huge cooperations like Microsoft, Sony and EA.

MrToast

I'm going to assume you mean if Gabe were to retire or passed away all of a sudden. That would probably depend on who would take over after him, as will happen if the company doesn't fold beforehand for whatever reason.

If it was someone within the company, depending on Gabe's influence it might stay somewhat the same, maybe it wouldn't change much, depends on their corporate personality and goals.

If it was family or some other 3rd party, who knows but it'd probably lead to some sort of buyout from someone else, could also happen in the case of the 1st example.

_Aaron_

Gabe's pretty intelligent and rich.

Probably found a way to preserve his mind like Mr House in New Vegas.

I imagine he got everything planned out. I could see someone like Erik Johnson, Robin Walker or Doug Lombardi taking over. Nothing would change probably.

Shifty

Are you organizing a hit, OP?

The situation of employees not wanting a thing to happen and then management coming down and saying "nah the thing is happening and there's nothing you can do about it" is super common in any big company with a bureaucratic structure.
If anything I'd say it would be more common in companies like Microsoft, Sony and EA since their structures are more traditional than Valve's crazy desk nomadism model.

JP

Seems a bit extreme. I know he's not perfect but couldn't you just tell him that he smells, or something?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
"Yes" is a common concern, but if you read interviews with or listen to presentations by other Valve employees regarding Steam, you do get the sense that they understand it is successful as it is precisely because they don't operate it with short-term gains in mind. Additionally, Newell owns 51% of the company (which is where the 10-figure net worth estimations come from) and I assume he'll hold on to that when he inevitably does retire, which will probably be within the next five years.

It'll be interesting to see who inherits the torch. I've long assumed either Doug Lombardi (head of marketing) or Erik Johnson (head of the business side of Steam).

ehead

Jeez, all these talk about PC storefronts changing management makes me think that MS will eventually own them all. Humblebundle was bought by IGN, Bundlestars is now Fanatical, what's next?

"If it ain't broke...". Current model makes money hand over fist, and from reading on the structure of the company (or lack there of) Gabe isn't necessarily the main driver of the "vision" these days. Unless of course there was some move to restructure things in his absence, but who knows.

Look at Apple, it could be said that it's "different" from under Jobs, for sure in some respects, but things kept on going as usual for the most part.

Blam

"If it ain't broke...". Current model makes money hand over fist, and from reading on the structure of the company (or lack there of) Gabe isn't necessarily the main driver of the "vision" these days. Unless of course there was some move to restructure things in his absence, but who knows.

Look at Apple, it could be said that it's "different" from under Jobs, for sure in some respects, but things kept on going as usual for the most part.

Yeah it won't change that much unless they decide to change the actual management system they have now then that's a different story.

Shifty

Jeez, all these talk about PC storefronts changing management makes me think that MS will eventually own them all. Humblebundle was bought by IGN, Bundlestars is now Fanatical, what's next?

"GOG in chinese poultry firm buyout shocker"

Film at 11

Bickle2

They might actually get a non-court mandated customer service number, or st least competent email support. Perish the thought! It’s only a $10 billion company.

SoulUnison

Banned
"Ceased to exist?"

We're not a heavily censored Saturday morning anime, OP. You don't have to say "captured" or "destroyed."

...Now, what have you done with Gabe?

Ubername

Banned
I think he has been remarkably benevolent. To think that Steam would be anywhere near as good and consumer-friendly of a service under someone else's direction is fantastical. When Gabe does leave, the bad practices that you currently see happening in great frequency in other big companies like 2K and Rockstar and whoever else will become commonplace. A "slippery-slope" no doubt but we really are spoiled by Valve's current mgmt

DarkestHour

Banned
I think this is a valid question. How much do one man control the entire infrastructure? I remember when the Steam employes didn`t want to allow Hatred on Steam, but suddenly Gabe found out, and suddenly these people couldn`t do anything about the situation. I can imagine that things doesn`t work that way in huge cooperations like Microsoft, Sony and EA.

Sounds like you've never worked for a corporation. The top dogs can do whatever they want.

Azyreal

Neo Member
I don't think so, I think it's run by a completely different team than the internal devs of Valve. Of course most new feature should be approved by him beforehand, but I think he just lets them mostly do what they want.

Velius

Banned
"What if Gabe... went away?"

"You mean like moved?"

"No, not moved... maybe, he just goes somewhere else?"

"I dunno man... like space?"

"Yeah. Space."

DiscoJer

You'd see them do more to take advantage of their near monopoly. Like reduce the cut developers get. Have exclusivity agreements.

Like right now I think they take 30%. I sell RPG on One Book Shelf which owns both major RPG fronts and it's 35% there unless you let them sell your products exclusively. And honestly, the extra 5% probably is worth being exclusive. I've made probably $1000 there over the last few years and $5 at other stores combined. So by even selling other places I've cost myself $45

They might also try charging for multiplayer. Steam Gold or somesuch.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
things will defitivily not get better, that's for sure. Guy is totally hands off in 99% of the things that go inside the company. things would only change if someone with a lot of ambition grabs the company.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
If Gabe Newell would cease to exist, he'd leave a hole that would be difficult to fill.

Compsiox

Banned
As greedy as Valve is becoming already, I can't imagine what would happen to Valve without him. It would be a disaster.

The potential for them to become public scares me more than anything. Having to meet quarterly demands of share holders would most likely prevent the type of steady growth that has made the platform such an influential success. I'm no expert in corporate pressures but it seems to me that Valve was built with a purpose in mind that was largely cultivated by an independence that would not exist in a publicly held company. I'm sure Gaben has prepared well enough for a like-minded successor to follow whatever vision he has for the empire he's built.

I believe Steam is going to become much more than what it is, given its hold on PC software and the freedom that revenue stream allows in R&D. Further expansion into all areas of entertainment and convenience related tech seems assured based on the company's behavior over the past few years. They've lost a lot of the old/founding talent but it will always attract top minds of various fields(relatively high compensation and freedom in work always will).

Saichi Shuuhara

Neo Member
At this point, I doubt it. Steam's focus on becoming the domineering PC marketplace is very clear and differing values between prospective CEOs or no, I don't see that changing.

ancelotti

I think it's a bit like George Lucas at LucasArts. Once he goes (or ceases to exist) there won't be a direct replacement for him. His responsibilities will be shared amongst several people, including whoever his successor happens to be. The culture (for better or worse) seems fairly entrenched so I doubt they'll find someone overly contrarian to that.

At this point, I doubt it. Steam's focus on becoming the domineering PC marketplace is very clear and differing values between prospective CEOs or no, I don't see that changing.

He is the sole reason why Valve isn't a publicly traded Company..there aren't that many huge, successful companies that are owned by a private entity. People bitch about Valves loot crates and marketplace, but imagine what would happen if Valve had to answer to shareholders every year.

After reading just the thread title, I knew there would be posts assuming it was some kind of genuine threat. Could it possibly be that Neogaf has always had its share of 4chan loners? That’s my current hypothesis.

Top Bottom