• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would this charge my iPad mini a lot faster?

Karmic Raze

I found this on Amazon:

I assume it’s a lot better than my current slow ass charger they gave me? Lol.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Changing chargers for a proprietary battery? I really don’t know if that’s very smart. Messing with power isn’t recommended beyond what is required. Maybe invest in a new battery for it? That saved my iPhone which had a bad health status on it. That’s just my two cents. If it somehow actually boosts performance without overcharging it then I guess it was worth it. I know people who installed cordless chargers on their iPhone. There might not be any harm to it. I’d just check to see what the health is for your battery.

Best Buy are registered Apple techs. They run a device check on it. You have to make an appointment with them.

Last edited:

jts

...hate me...
iPad mini comes with a 5W charger right? Lol yeah that is super slow. Even with a 10W/12W from Apple you'd get a massive charging speed improvement (same for the iPhone).

I don't know if the iPad mini can actually use the full extent of 30W of the charger you're linking but USB charging is pretty smart and basically negotiates and draws only the max power it can use.

Feels like $30 is pretty steep for a no brand thing though, even if it comes with the charging cable. I think I'd rather just get a brick from Belkin etc, like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GM4H849/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Skyr

Changing chargers for a proprietary battery? I really don’t know if that’s very smart. Messing with power isn’t recommended beyond what is required. Maybe invest in a new battery for it? That saved my iPhone which had a bad health status on it. That’s just my two cents. If it somehow actually boosts performance without overcharging it then I guess it was worth it. I know people who installed cordless chargers on their iPhone. There might not be any harm to it. I’d just check to see what the health is for your battery.

Best Buy are registered Apple techs. They run a device check on it. You have to make an appointment with them.
Nah that is a common misconception. The peak output of a power adapter does not matter. Modern phone/tablet battery’s take as much power as they are designed for and can not “overcharge”.

It’s just that Apple likes to save money on these kind of things and ships these minuscule power adapters with their lower end products.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Nah that is a common misconception. The peak output of a power adapter does not matter. Modern phone/tablet battery’s take as much power as they are designed for and can not “overcharge”.

It’s just that Apple likes to save money on these kind of things and ships these minuscule power adapters with their lower end products.

I went through my battery pretty quick, probably by placing it back on its charger. Person at Best Buy said to only charge it when it’s down to 15% or below. I know with computers, having the wrong Watt/V can cause lots of issues. I’d just imagine those tiny adapters they sell are different in many ways.

kingbean

Hey guy, I work with Apple and can tell you that charger won't supply 30watts to the battery. You'll at best get ~20watts because the ipad mini is spec'd to charge at 1.2amps/10watts normally and fast charge at 2.1amps/18watts.

V2Tommy

It will charge faster, likely. I always use the beefiest charger possible and the device will charge as fast as it can handle itself.

Top Bottom