• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be disappointed if big current gen games released at 30fps next year?

It seems like theres a lot of expectations for games to look like a “generational” leap from last gen. A lot of people think games like Ragnarok didn’t do enough to upgrade the graphics even though it had unlocked framerates and you could play the game well above 60fps.

Everyone is expecting spider-man to look mind blowing but are people willing to sacrifice 60fps and other performance options for it, especially if it has ray tracing?

In an interview last year with IGN, Todd Howard was asked about how the game would perform. He confirmed that the Series X would run it at a dynamic 4K at 30fps. When asked about a performance mode Todd didn't commit to anything. Todd said he believes that Bethesda games play fine at 30fps and that the headroom not only allows for nice visuals but the ability to interact with all the small objects in the world.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
no. I don’t care. And people shouldn’t too. Dropping a game because it’s 30, means you don’t care to play games.
But 30 fps this gen has been terrible. It needs good motion blur to be ok on oled and proper lock.

Most games this gen have terrible very slow 30fps. Demons souls 30fps mode is 75ms slower to control than bloodborne. I will take bb 30 fps over any other 30fps this gen even with bb frame pacing issues which don’t matter to me too much.

or uncharted 4 remaster. Example of great 30 fps lock this gen.
Best games like dark souls were 30 fps and we never cared. If a game is good, you will not care.
We talk way too much about technicalities this gen. We are losing our way as gamers

Last edited:

SeraphJan

All the more reason why a mid gen refresh is needed, better frame rate and graphic fidelity just can't co-exist without better hardware, especially with how terrible the ray tracing performance were in RDNA2

However, if they decided to go on with 30 fps standard, I think I'll be fine as long as its stable, after all it was how all console generation end up like, there is no reason for me to not to be able to survive this one.

I think for people that cared performance more than graphic, a 1440p 60fps without ray tracing performance mode will likely be there for most games, I can't think of a reason for not giving player the option

Last edited:

radewagon

Yes. It's not 2002. My console is capable of much more than 30fps. I hope the game devs don't fuck this up.
For the most part, your consoles have always been capable of much more than 30fps. Low framerates are not a result of hardware limitations as much as they are the result of decisions made early on in development as target performance is weighed against other factors.

Ultimately, things like framerate are not as consequential as the echo-chamber would have you believe.

I think any game releasing at only 30fps is going to lose sales, and deservedly so. Of the games that have recently released for console that don't support any 60fps mode, I have no intention of ever playing them.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
We all know they will inevitably become 30fps machines as the generation goes on. It happens every single time.
Of course we do, I already said it when they launched.
But its still dissapointing.

Reactions: GHG
QCjbz17.gif

Go_Ly_Dow

Yes as there are a lot of action focused current gen only games I'll be picking up, such as Stellar Blade, FFXVI and FFVIIRebirth. Would be disappointed if FF has no 60fps mode, as the PS5 update for Remake had an excellent one that made the game a joy to play.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Depends on the trade off, some games actually need 60 fps, fighting, certain action games, shooting, racing. Some not so much.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Disappointed, sure. Although it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker for me.
It largely depends on the title and gameplay of said title.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
no. I don’t care. And people shouldn’t too. Dropping a game because it’s 30, means you don’t care to play games.
But 30 fps this gen has been terrible. It needs good motion blur to be ok on oled and proper lock.

Most games this gen have terrible very slow 30fps. Demons souls 30fps mode is 75ms slower to control than bloodborne. I will take bb 30 fps over any other 30fps this gen even with bb frame pacing issues which don’t matter to me too much.

or uncharted 4 remaster. Example of great 30 fps lock this gen.
Best games like dark souls were 30 fps and we never cared. If a game is good, you will not care.
We talk way too much about technicalities this gen. We are losing our way as gamers
The issue is most 30fps does not stays at 30fps, Input lag , awful frame pacing (witcher 3).

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nah, I gave up after A Plague Tales and updated my GPU instead of getting a console, only Nintendo can make me play at 30fps and because they're mostly fixed

JeloSWE

I've had it with sub 60 fps games, horrible input lag and motion clarity. Only exception is Switch exclusives such as Zelda or Xenoblade. Now days I buy everything I can for my PC if possible so I can game at ideally 120fps when possible.

I might even wait for the PC release of Sony's games such as Spiderman 2, Wolverine etc if they only come with 30 fps. But I hope Sony have noticed how important a performance mode is these days and that it will continue be an option with the non cross gen games.

I am hopeful when looking at what UE5 manages to do with Lumen (RT, GI ) and Nanite at 60 fps in the latest Fortnite update.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
no because frankly i will be expecting it. Cross gen games don't fully take advantage of the hardware. Rift apart never ran at 60fps, i have no reason to think any of the future next gen titles will either

if you're disappointed or angered about that, you've got yourself to blame for having high expectations. get a PC

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I think any game releasing at only 30fps is going to lose sales, and deservedly so. Of the games that have recently released for console that don't support any 60fps mode, I have no intention of ever playing them.
jesus fucking christ dude im sorry to tell you but most gamers do not care THAT much. you saw how much GOW2018 and Spiderman sold.

Again if you got a console expecting 60fps on all games including next gen exclusives, you're a moron. you should temper your expectations because these are not wonder machines they're midrange PCs from 2018.

Top Bottom