• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be disappointed if big current gen games released at 30fps next year?

It’s going to happen eventually. Might not be next year but it’s coming at some point. Games get more technically demanding and need more power to hit higher frames.

I don’t mind personally, developers need to ensure they sort out the fucking frame times though. Most games have been shocking at 30fps this gen so far.

NahaNago

I wouldn't be. I did kind of expect a quality and performance modes for games, but I wouldn't be disappointed in a 30fps game. If 60 fps or more is a must, then buy or build a pc that can do that.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

I feel for you guys not using a plasma. Saw 4k30fps on a game playing on a modern tv and was in love until the camera started moving.
Plasma has it's advantages but I'm very much happy with my 1700+ nit HDR TV at 4K 60hz or 120hz :) I just try to avoid <60 fps as much as possible. For lower fps content such as movies and shows I'm okay with motion smoothing as it that helps a lot with flicker and judder.

Last edited:

clampzyn

have both on PC because 99% of pc games are made with the lowest spec console in mind anyway, which will be the Series S when cross gen stops being a thing. People saying 30 fps is unplayable are delusional.
What ? Multi plat games are made with the PC lowest specs devs can make, this generation is not the same as last generation. You think if games were made with Series X / PS5 specs PC gamers with 1060/1650 will able to handle those games? LOL hell nah, people on PC, majority of them are using 1060/1650/2060/2070 cards, those cards are weaker than seriesx/ps5 let alone the cpu, the cpu is far worse on PC on the low-mid end builds vs consoles, why? because PC builds usually upgrade their GPU most of the time and leave their cpu behind

Last edited:

MikeM

So someone who is not obsessed by framerate and focused more on his ... GAMES, is not indoctrinated ?
Nah. I think people need to understand that some are most affected by low framerates than others. I’m one of those people. But if you enjoy 30fps then all the power to you.

I find it odd that 30fps would come back being the norm considering it is outside VRR windows. VRR was to be an important feature and is but won’t be effective in 30fps scenarios. Unless i’m missing something.

Rykan

jesus fucking christ dude im sorry to tell you but most gamers do not care THAT much. you saw how much GOW2018 and Spiderman sold.

Again if you got a console expecting 60fps on all games including next gen exclusives, you're a moron. you should temper your expectations because these are not wonder machines they're midrange PCs from 2018.
What kind of utter nonsense is this?

You're out of your mind if you think that having something as straight forward as a 60 FPS mode as a standard requires a "Wonder machine". This statement is just as flatout wrong as your statement that current gen consoles are comparable to a midrange of 2018.

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
After seeing cross-gen, open world, Horizon FW performance mode look better than any thing else out there, I don't see why others cannot do it.

Drizzlehell

Banned
So someone who is not obsessed by framerate and focused more on his ... GAMES, is not indoctrinated ?
No, someone who sincerely regurgitates this "cinematic experience" propaganda, originally started by none other than Ubisoft.

And for the record, movies are actually running at 24 frames per second so if you truly want to have a "cinematic experience" then just go play your games on the Switch and let normal people play comfortably in higher framerates.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Nah. I think people need to understand that some are most affected by low framerates than others. I’m one of those people. But if you enjoy 30fps then all the power to you.

I find it odd that 30fps would come back being the norm considering it is outside VRR windows. VRR was to be an important feature and is but won’t be effective in 30fps scenarios. Unless i’m missing something.
vrr is great but nobody understands it.
Nobody know what it is and let alone that their tv supports it.
Asking my cooworksers and friends and they have no idea. Even gamers lol.

I have handful of friends who know what vrr is.
We are in a bubble here. Check out twitch... these big time streamsers have no idea about vrr, vsync, dlss and other stuff... and they beat world records in games

rofif

Banned
No, someone who sincerely regurgitates this "cinematic experience" propaganda, originally started by none other than Ubisoft.

And for the record, movies are actually running at 24 frames per second so if you truly want to have a "cinematic experience" then just go play your games on the Switch and let normal people play comfortably in higher framerates.
you are delusional. Nothing wrong liking QUALITY single player games. it does not equal = cinematic.
But ok, if uncharted 4 is a cinematic game? I want more cinematic games.

Drizzlehell

Banned
you are delusional. Nothing wrong liking QUALITY single player games. it does not equal = cinematic.
What the fuck are you smoking? We're talking about the fact that major game publishers such as Ubisoft are pushing their propaganda about 30 FPS being this alleged "cinematic experience", and that it's complete horseshit.

What does ANYTHING you said has to do with this topic?

Soodanim

There's a difference between obsession and having standards for quality when it comes to something inherently visual. Granted, pretty much anyone can and will adapt back to 30fps over time, but to some people the smoothness is more important than resolution or lighting. I haven't even mentioned responsiveness of controls. Everything about playing a game gets better at 60, or even 40. You're absolutely right in that not all games need it, but I will always take it over 30 when given the option.

It's not quite the same as something which looks like the spin of marketing departments. "It's not a poor performance, it's actually better and we want it that way. Cinematic!" That isn't to say that everyone who says they're going for that is lying, but the idea is certainly bullshit to most who know what framerate is.
30fps only ever disappoints elitists.

It will never disappoint me as I prefer to play all 3rd person cinematic action adventure games in the closest to film like quality I can get.
FPS elitism is 120fps minimum, not 60fps. 60fps was the standard going back generations and only became an issue when 3D rendering crippled framerates, it's not a pretentiously unreleastic goal like demanding 120fps from all games and that 60 is unplayable.

Banned

Quality, as in really dumbed down casual games then

rofif

Banned
What the fuck are you smoking? We're talking about the fact that major game publishers such as Ubisoft are pushing their propaganda about 30 FPS being this alleged "cinematic experience", and that it's complete horseshit.

What does ANYTHING you said has to do with this topic?
you were not clear about this

JeloSWE

The idea that cross gen games aren't pushing the the games to their full potential and once we go current gen they need to go 30 for it to happen and that a game at 60 fps can't or isn't truly pushing the systems to their limit is sad. Sure you can render a higher resolution image with more fidelity in the graphical features the lower the frame rate you go. But if that is the case, we should really keep lowering the fps for the whole generation, say why not 20 fps and then 15 fps, it would be great and we could push so much more fidelity every second year or so. I know it sound ridiculous but how low a frame rate is too low. Past games did indeed end up in the 10s, what is stopping us now. For some people 30 is fine but it really is too low for modern gaming. I'm perfectly fine with what ever graphical quality the game wizards can push within the 60 fps limit. Just look at the gorgeous Demons Souls, it's a great example of a game developed with 60fps first in mind and then tacked on the 4K30 more as an after thought. That game is one of the best looking games on the system still. 30 fps should ideally never be the target but rather an additional option for those that are okay with it.

Markio128

I have to be honest - I used to be happy as Larry with 30fps, but having played HFW, GOW:R amongst others at 60fps (and them still managing to look better than most other games), I reckon I’ll find it tough to play a game at 30fps.
It depends on the game though.
But surely the challenge for developers going forward is to see how good looking they can make a 60fps game?

Skifi28

Yes, we now have 40fps if your game is so heavy it can't do 60. There's little excuse for not at least having a second mode that hits a consistent 40fps given the hardware.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I won't pass on a game if it's only playable at 30fps and I fully expect expect Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom to be locked at 30fps as well

...but come on man! Enough with that prehistoric framerate! It's even worse when they say that it's to provide a more cinematic feel to the game.

A great game locked at 30fps is still a great game of course, the best games of the last generation were locked at 30 but having the option to play it at 60 is ALWAYS a better experience

#ChangeMyMind
That's the thing, some games can't be helped like Zelda or Xenoblade since they're on a closed system, I'll enjoy them at 30 but because they're mostly slower paced games, but temporal resolution is a thing, it's not only that games play better, they LOOK better at higher frame rates, they look smoother and just better, and when they drop frames they're mostly above 50, which won't feel as bad as a game trying to run at 30 and falling into mid-high 20s... that feels just wrong, and uncomfortable.

One of the reasons I haven't played SMTV is because it constantly runs at 27 fps or so as per others say. Zelda BOTW for as much hate it gets by usual haters, feels smooth almost all the time with just small peaks here and there on specific intense moments (that don't last more than a second mostly), apart from the Koloks village but that's not only because of performance, the entire zone feels unfinished.

As long as I know I can play a game at 60 fps, playing it at 30 will always feel wrong. I'm ok with a PC that runs games with same settings as consoles but at least at constant 60 fps, it just LOOKS and FEELS better, if I cannot and there's no chance, then I'll have to decide if it's worth it the initial adaption.

I don't bother if games are 60fps or 30fps, what I don't want is the option to choose. I hate choosing between modes and losing something, performance or quality, I want a single mode that matches developers vision.
There is something to be said for lack of choice and no faffing about!

Maybe Fromsoftware are on to something...

damidu

its not 2010 anymore people.
your decade old examples don’t mean much. console peasants got used to high framerate.
barely hitting 30fps will not cut anymore.

especially for games like starfield, which doesn’t even have anything to show for in return.

MikeM

vrr is great but nobody understands it.
Nobody know what it is and let alone that their tv supports it.
Asking my cooworksers and friends and they have no idea. Even gamers lol.

I have handful of friends who know what vrr is.
We are in a bubble here. Check out twitch... these big time streamsers have no idea about vrr, vsync, dlss and other stuff... and they beat world records in games
I don’t think you need to understand something to still benefit from it. Just like people don’t understand shaders, physics etc and yet they still, combined, make for a solid experience that everyone benefits from.

ungalo

Given the visual fidelity of those titles in particular yes a little bit. But i expect 30 fps to return in general, i hope it will be for real technical leap.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

There will be some 30fps games and some 60fps games, just like there always have been. When you are getting a complete system for $500 including nvme SSD don't expect to be guaranteed 60fps on every game (outside of maybe the ugly modes :messenger_winking_tongue:).

Portugeezer

Maybe there's a reason. Like if GTA6 is 30fps but has an incredibly detailed and complex world, it may be understandable if they can't achieve 60fps.

5 minutes in I won't give a shit.

Moses85

I am a graphics whore, so

No Way Meme GIF

OuterLimits

You can forget about 60 fps on base consoles in the long run. Just hope the mid gen upgrades will be able to do 60.

Sony just raised the price of their console.(so imagine how much a Pro console would cost). Plus for the first couple years the system wasn't readily available in most stores and cross gen software releases have lasted long into this gen.

I'm not even sure pro consoles will be a thing this generation. The current consoles may be the only game in town until later this decade potentially.(besides a new Switch obviously)

Plus to be honest, the Pro console by Sony last gen was kind of a disappointment overall.(and often sounds louder than a vacuum cleaner). Any Pro console this gen would need to be better than their half ass product last gen. Particularly for the price it would cost.

Last edited:
So many gamers complain about graphics and resolution, so that's why a lot of games are still 30fps. God forbid they cut down on graphics for a better frame rate, and all the graphics whores will be on twitter complaining and making a federal case about it.

I even see a lot of posters on this site talking about graphics, but not much about gameplay.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I feel for you guys not using a plasma. Saw 4k30fps on a game playing on a modern tv and was in love until the camera started moving.
I had one of the best if not the best plasmas on the market at the time and I'd never go back to plasma after going OLED.

ReBurn

Gold Member
This is the generation of choosing performance mode or fidelity mode. At least we finally get performance options on consoles.

TonyK

So many gamers complain about graphics and resolution, so that's why a lot of games are still 30fps. God forbid they cut down on graphics for a better frame rate, and all the graphics whores will be on twitter complaining and making a federal case about it.

I even see a lot of posters on this site talking about graphics, but not much about gameplay.
60fps doesn't guarantee any gameplay quality. A game would be shit at 30 or 60, you can only choose if it will be shit with RTx30fps or shit at 2Kx60fps. Same applies for great games, 30fps will not make them unplayable.

As you said, the discussion should change from technical preferences (resolution, framerate...) to real gameplay, to the design of the games.

plip.plop

It seems to me every generation when devs get more power they apply it to visuals, instead of performance. The people clamoring for 60fps are the hardcore crowd, Casual gamers don't really care or can't even tell, but they will buy a game based on how it looks, and unfortunately, they also make up the majority of purchases.

nikos

I don't play anything at 30 FPS unless it's on Switch. There are less than a handful of games I'd consider playing at 30 or 60, only because I wouldn't want to wait for the PC release.

SoraNoKuni

Depends on the game, if they really make use of the extra horsepower to make something state of the art eye candy and it's not an FPS, then, big maybe.

Top Bottom