• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be disappointed if big current gen games released at 30fps next year?

Xdrive05

Anything that needs or benefits from a fast panning camera, or fast reaction times, really needs a 60fps mode option. Most racing games, shooters, etc., fit this.

Some amazing games don't. A Plague Tale: Requiem, as a great recent example.

But everything, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING, plays better at 60 than 30, even the games that don't "need it", just for the lower input latency if nothing else. That's kind of a big deal and people need to stop pretending like it's not.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
They will.

Can’t wait for the rude awakening when frame nerds to lose their minds over amazing looking, next gen games running at 30fps.

I’ll be disappointed if they DONT release at 30fps.

Fuck 60. Let performance mode be 40fps.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
If they're really pushing the envelope visually, then I have no problem with it.

These consoles don't have infinite power. If you really want "next-gen", jaw-dropping looking games, there's going to have to be concessions.

40fps mode rather than 30fps would be great though.

Last edited:

sachos

If it has proper framepacing and good per pixel motion blur then im fine with it, also if i can see the perfomance tradeoff for IQ is valuable enough.

Hate to tell you this because it could result in an i-feel-old moment but those lower frame rate 3d games were 20 years ago.
Shoot. I misread your original post. I legitimately thought it said 30 years ago. Regardless, today's consoles are more than capable of providing resolution and framerate options, unlike the 3d machines of 20 years ago.

Last edited:
I'm currently replaying The Witcher 3 on my XSX using "Ray-Tracing" mode at 30fps and although most analysis sites like Digital Foundry and NX Gamer say performance mode is the way to go, I have had absolutely no problem enjoying the game. As long as the framerate is stable and I'm not playing a competitive multiplayer shooter, 30fps is just fine.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I'm currently replaying The Witcher 3 on my XSX using "Ray-Tracing" mode at 30fps and although most analysis sites like Digital Foundry and NX Gamer say performance mode is the way to go, I have had absolutely no problem enjoying the game. As long as the framerate is stable and I'm not playing a competitive multiplayer shooter, 30fps is just fine.
Animated GIF

TheTony316

No, i don't care. You can't expect every single console game to run at 60fps. If framerates is your priority, get a PC.

Mercador

They said the same thing about 4K when 1080p was hot, and now everyone is drooling over 4K. 8K it's coming, and so is 16, 24, 32, 64K eventually. It's easy to market and people is super easy to deceive. I have a couple of friends who believe all PS5 games play at 8K 120 fps because of the logos in the box.

I personally don't give an F about 4K, but I'm sensitive to FPS when gaming and I've been spoiled by my PS5. After Part I and U4 at 100 plus FPS I moved on to Arkham Knight's 30 FPS, and yes, it's playable, a playable slideshow.
The step from SD to 1080p is quite impressive. The step from 1080p to 2160p is way less impressive but it is still visible, at least for me. I want to change my gaming PC to get 4k@60, once I've seen how good the game look in 4K, I want it unfortunately. However, I did see a 8K tv and really, it's hard to tell. Pretty much the same way the difference with HDR and Dolby Vision.

Top Bottom