• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be happy with this level of graphics next gen?

Stuart360

For an open world game -

Its from a Unity demo made using the HDRP Pipeline, which Indies are saying is very advanced.

For reference, the demo on my PC (I7-6700K, 16GB DDR4 Ram, GTX 980ti) runs at 40-60fps at 1080p with max settings. So its safe to assume that at 4k/30, or especially at 4k/60, this would be pushing next gen consoles HARD.

You can download the demo if you want to try it out, you need Unity 2019 1.0 Beta 7. Both links are at the bottom of this page -

Be warned though, it takes an AGE to load, and you will think your PC has frozen. Just leave it until it loads.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Found a 4k vid running on a 2080ti -

And yeah it struggles to hold 30fps at 4k in some areas. Obviously there will be little optimization in this demo but i think its fair to say that what you are seeing here is probably the pinnacle of what we can expect next gen graphics wise.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
For an open world game -

Its from a Unity demo made using the HDRP Pipeline, which Indies are saying is very advanced.

For reference, the demo on my PC (I7-6700K, 16GB DDR4 Ram, GTX 980ti) runs at 40-60fps at 1080p with max settings. So its safe to assume that at 4k/30, or especially at 4k/60, this would be pushing next gen consoles HARD.

You can download the demo if you want to try it out, you need Unity 2019 1.0 Beta 7. Both links are at the bottom of this page -

Be warned though, it takes an AGE to load, and you will think your PC has frozen. Just leave it until it loads.

I'd rather expect this and hopefully be pleasantly surprised. Tech demo usually don't pay off the way we hope them too

mango drank

Aside from the higher density of the geometry on screen, it's hard to tell the difference between that stuff and this gen, in terms of overall image quality. There were massive and obvious jumps in previous gens:
  • 6th gen -> 7th gen: huge resolution bump (HD), huge detail bump w/ normal mapping and higher-res textures etc, more geo on screen
  • 7th gen -> 8th gen: PBR shading makes stuff look photo-real, more geo on screen
  • 8th gen -> 9th gen: RT that no one notices, and ... more geo on screen
Hooray? I'm sure devs will find ways to use the new power to wow us, but dang, the diminishing returns are real. Are there any other big graphical technologies being introduced next gen? RT isn't cutting it.

VFXVeteran

Banned
For an open world game -

I'll try it and give you some numbers

LordKasual

Banned
I've never, ever wanted a city this big in an RPG, and i never will.

There's only so far you can stretch good level design, and sprawling cities are rarely examples of good level design.

Hell, just thinking about the amount of "?" quest popups in a super massive RPG/MMORPG city just gives me gross anxiety

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Before we all veer off on a tangent discussing what is viable for next-gen, can we all agree that we would like to see this kind of graphics in ACTUAL GAMEPLAY? Cinematics has been a thorn in my side when discussing graphics tech to people. They think that the cinematics is what rates the game's graphics tech. It's not. It's the actual in-game graphics that should be weighted.

Stuart360

I've never, ever wanted a city this big in an RPG, and i never will.

There's only so far you can stretch good level design, and sprawling cities are rarely examples of good level design.

Hell, just thinking about the amount of "?" quest popups in a super massive RPG/MMORPG city just gives me gross anxiety
Well i was talking more about the level of graphics, not if you would actually like to see this as a game next gen.

GHG

Gold Member
I'd be happy with this to be honest:

In particular the detailed physics and destruction on show.

That's where we really need to see some big steps forward, in the areas of physics and AI. I'm of the opinion that the graphics these days are mostly more than good enough.

LordKasual

Banned
Well i was talking more about the level of graphics, not if you would actually like to see this as a game next gen.

Oh, i forgot to put that part in

I mean i guess? I guess it's alot of geometry but it's mostly just eye noise, nothing really grabs you in that demo.

I'm not really sure how this would look in a more measured creation so i can't really say, but i'd like to kneejerk and say "not really"

Zero707

If I carry on trolling, report me.
i think all i want from next gen games is better facial expression

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's very detailed, but it doesn't really shake my world.

I'm not paying $500 or so for just that.

Stuart360

It's very detailed, but it doesn't really shake my world.

I'm not paying $500 or so for just that.
To be honest, it blew me away. Its more impressive actually seeing it on your screen, and it very much reminded me of Mega City One from the Dredd movie, and with the lighting, it really didnt look much worse.
I'm sensing that we really should keep expectations in check for next gen games, if some of you are not impressed by this.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
If its just lots of flying cars and big buildings for the sake of it, no.
It kind of reminds me of ac unity with there big crowds, it make look impressive, but it isn't when they are all no more smarter then npcs from GTA3.
I guess it would be needed for a blade runner style game, but lots of simple models just does not impress me that much.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I'd be happy with this to be honest:

In particular the detailed physics and destruction on show.

That's where we really need to see some big steps forward, in the areas of physics and AI. I'm of the opinion that the graphics these days are mostly more than good enough.

Isn't this more about cool angles? Put a boring behind the car camera on that video and it's pretty meh.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Large scale is only impressive if it has depth.

Which is why I dont like just cause and ubisoft open world games.

I will be more than happy if we knew more about the launch games for both. But yes OP, it's a great tech demo and i'd love to get something like that for next gen... in the 1st year? 2nd?3rd? 😍

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm honestly fine with the current level of graphics and would be more than pleased if devs just put the horsepower into increasing resolution, framerate and other stuff like AI and physics simulation/destructability.

GHG

Gold Member
Isn't this more about cool angles? Put a boring behind the car camera on that video and it's pretty meh.

No, you can clearly see the particle and dust effects are a step above anything we get today in off-road racing games. The accuracy of the damage deformation for the vehicles is also something we don't see today.

This is the current "gold standard" for damage deformation in an off-road racing game today:

Mudrunner is the current gold standard for terrain deformation:

I think we should reach a point next gen where what is displayed in that original motorstorm trailer is finally possible in high resolutions at a playable framerate. It only took 15 years :messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

Myths

Not a fan of the mods since all of them are 2D space solutions. Framerate is low as well.
The FPS could easily skyrocket with the adjustment of AA (it’s at 4x), and as it already is it’s running at 4K. It’s overkill if nothing else.

I don't care that much really. I will certainly be happy to see the improved visuals and physics, but I go back and play 3D games from the 90s no problem.

RedVIper

Banned
I don't really care about image quality anymore. I want devs to focus on AI and Physics and stable performance.

Reactions: GHG

Saber

Gold Member
But at what cost?

Oh yeah...fps.

I'm cool with this gen though. No need for ultra realistic graphics. Realism kills the games imo.

Exactly the reason why I think the hellblade 2 trailer wasn't far from real-time, considering the specs of the Series X.
To get more accurate, those i posted most likely on a 2080TI, you just have to imagine how it would be on a 2080Super = Xbox series X.

Top Bottom