• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be happy with this level of graphics next gen?

The series X GPU is more powerful than the 2080 super. somewhere in between the two.
xbox-series-x-vs-sony-ps5-graphics-performance-2-2048x1182.jpg

mortal

Gold Member
I'm not particularly interested in seeing more massive game worlds that are pretty on the surface but are barely interactive.
It'll look nice in a sizzle reel, but It's immersion breaking.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
While what was posted in the OP might be very technically complex and demanding, you can't forget that a major component of graphic content is art, and artful use of the tools available. The video in the OP looks ugly and worse than most current gen games I've played. It might have MOAR GRAPHFVICKXZ but it doesn't have good graphics. Good graphics will, as always, rely on both technology and artistry next gen, and I expect better than what's in that video.

For an open world game -

Its from a Unity demo made using the HDRP Pipeline, which Indies are saying is very advanced.

For reference, the demo on my PC (I7-6700K, 16GB DDR4 Ram, GTX 980ti) runs at 40-60fps at 1080p with max settings. So its safe to assume that at 4k/30, or especially at 4k/60, this would be pushing next gen consoles HARD.

You can download the demo if you want to try it out, you need Unity 2019 1.0 Beta 7. Both links are at the bottom of this page -

Be warned though, it takes an AGE to load, and you will think your PC has frozen. Just leave it until it loads.

Nope this isnt next gen graphics its current gen shit, its running on a 980ti for gods sake, what do people tale next gen of?
Plus its an open world demo full of procedural tricks already in use this particular one was about instancing and efficient draw calls, its shit only demo that looks next gen is the other new unity demo

You cant run a demo on a 980ti and call ot next gen you mist be retarded you only call something nextgen when you run it on top of the line gpu at 30 fps or below its why series x demos are compared with the 2080ti

And the worlds will be entirely empty with a character standing in a corner with a ! over their head. You clowns been blinded and its a shame instead of developing better AI and better game play, all the power of these machines has been allocated to one place, graphics.

If games look like Horizon or God of War on PS4 Pro but run at 60 fps I'll be ok with that.

I hope that games get more innovative with environment in it - something that Half Life 2 or Dark Messiah of Might and Magic tried to do early last gen

Fbh

That looks really nice, but I hope "Size" isn't the focus of next gen.
A big city like that might be visually awesome the first time you reach it, but it's ultimately worthless if there aren't fun/engaging things to do in it. Next gen hardware will make it easier to make big and nice looking worlds/cities, but it doesn't magically make it easy to give them good level design and fill them with meaningful content. Current gen sized games already struggle with that, so just going for even bigger world doesn't make sense to me.

Like Altissia in FFXV. One of the nicest looking cities this gen IMO. But it's boring as fuck to play

Last edited:

Stuart360

You cant run a demo on a 980ti and call ot next gen you mist be retarded you only call something nextgen when you run it on top of the line gpu at 30 fps or below its why series x demos are compared with the 2080ti

Found a 4k vid running on a 2080ti -

And yeah it struggles to hold 30fps at 4k in some areas. Obviously there will be little optimization in this demo but i think its fair to say that what you are seeing here is probably the pinnacle of what we can expect next gen graphics wise.

:messenger_winking:

Velius

Banned
I wish just for one generation they would completely forego any graphical improvement and just make better, more content. Make 15 hour campaigns a thing of the past, and make like minimum 40 hours of good, tight gameplay.

That isnt pinnacle next gen its simply a demo showing procedural effects used to optimise rendering its a demo about instancing and draw calls nothing here is next gen the silly demo as your seeing can run on current gen consoles, infact this demo was shown running on mobile phones what makes u even more retarded is running it on a 2080ti at 4k and calling it next gen,

Anything pushed to the limit can be hard to run on any hardware you cant just plug in anything and increase resolution then call it next gen that is obscene stupidity.

Last edited:

Stuart360

That isnt pinnacle next gen its simply a demo showing procedural effects used to optimise rendering its a demo about instancing and draw calls nothing here is next gen the silly demo as your seeing can run on current gen consoles, infact this demo was shown running on mobile phones what makes u even more retarded is running it on a 2080ti at 4k and calling it next gen,

Anything pushed to the limit can be hard to run on any hardware you cant just plug in anything and increase resolution then call it next gen that is obscene stupidity.
First off cut the hostility, we are all suffering from the quarantine. And the question was 'would you be happy with this level of graphics next gen?', its a simple question, if a game looked like this, would you be happy?.
And if you think you are going to see games much better looking than this, you should get your expectation in check. We have already seen the likes of Godfall, which looks nowhere close to this level. There is that looter shooter (forgot the name), looks nothing like this level, Hellblade looks a similar level i suppose, but people are saying thats not real.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Is the demo using that variable rate shader thingy?
That technique where not everything is using the same level of triangle detail?

Probably not.
Would likely run like 4x better with it.

First off cut the hostility, we are all suffering from the quarantine. And the question was 'would you be happy with this level of graphics next gen?', its a simple question, if a game looked like this, would you be happy?.
And if you think you are going to see games much better looking than this, you should get your expectation in check. We have already seen the likes of Godfall, which looks nowhere close to this level. There is that looter shooter (forgot the name), looks nothing like this level, Hellblade looks a similar level i suppose, but people are saying thats not real.
The stupid demo your showing was running on a mobile phone its not next gen none of the visuals here are next gen, its simply a demo about instancing objects to save draw calls its nothing new and it certainly doesnt look next gen in any angle,

What i consider nextgen is something close to cgi if not completeley cgi the heretic demo from unity is close to next gen as weve seen hellblade 2 trailer is also close to next gen as weve seen, games made to run on a ps5 with 16gb vram and a ssd blowing data at 5.5-9gb/s would look miles detailed than what your showing here infact theyll look better than the heretic or that that hellblade 2 demo.

Stuart360

The stupid demo your showing was running on a mobile phone its not next gen none of the visuals here are next gen, its simply a demo about instancing objects to save draw calls its nothing new and it certainly doesnt look next gen in any angle,

What i consider nextgen is something close to cgi if not completeley cgi the heretic demo from unity is close to next gen as weve seen hellblade 2 trailer is also close to next gen as weve seen, games made to run on a ps5 with 16gb vram and a ssd blowing data at 5.5-9gb/s would look miles detailed than what your showing here infact theyll look better than the heretic or that that hellblade 2 demo.
lol fair enough, we will know soon enough anyway.

lol fair enough, we will know soon enough anyway.
You think engineers sat down engineering a ps5 or a series x just to load a flying car passing around city blocks, this demo is simply a procedural asset streaming demo its showcasing trickery of how to efficiently stream data in and out of ram to save memory and also showcases object instancing its a trick of loading one asset multiple times at once hence saving cpu draw calls this tricks have existed since 3d videp games existed, they use the same tricks on every game out there

Its how you get games like doom eternal or gears 5 look so good and also run at 60fps, there is nothing new here.

GymWolf

I expect more, to be honest.. i expect unprecedented interactivity.. i think eventually immersion via interactivity must become more important than graphics that are rapidly getting to a point where huge improvements are superfluous
yep, they have no excuse for simple physics and interaction with the game world.

GymWolf

If games look like Horizon or God of War on PS4 Pro but run at 60 fps I'll be ok with that.

I hope that games get more innovative with environment in it - something that Half Life 2 or Dark Messiah of Might and Magic tried to do early last gen
if you haven't played yet, just go and buy immediately dishonored saga and new prey.

Pidull

All I really want is insanely detailed giblets. Where is the next game that is so graphic it has parents boomers everywhere freaking out about the violence? I'm talking about disemboweling Nazis with my chainsaw and watching the enemy AI try to put the intestines back inside. Full musculoskeletal renders in which things can be blown to bits in infinite permutations and AI reacts accordingly.

Honestly I thought this generation would have it, but the best we've gotten is scripted animation deaths in games like God of War/Doom Eternal or at best what you have in Sniper Elite 4. Make it better.

19fp9luqz3yz3gif.gif

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i don't think games are going to look much different. a lot of the power of these new consoles will be quickly eaten up by having to run at 4K native and not the fake 4k that is on Pro/X. if a game uses raytracing then that will largely be the biggest difference because that will take a chunk of performance. we might see some better physics/animations but nothing crazy.

as for framerate the XSX has the better chance of having a 60fps target but probably still have lots of drops. the PS5 will struggle and likely will be capped at 30fps or have unlimited (up to 60fps lol) framerate with the option to cap to 30fps.

HarryKS

The problem is scaling and diminishing returns. Most of it has to do with TIME X HEADCOUNT within game studios. You want more details, that means you need either more people or more time, At some point, you can't justify the budgets being put forward.

Kenpachii

With games as zelda breath of the wild running on handhelds, with games as star citizen on PC with games as ac odyssey on current gen consoles. I would say the only problem we have right now is that company's are idea bankrupt.

Everything can already be made that they want to be made, yet only everybody does is copy past the same shit over and over again. Which results after 5 minutes of playing "oh its this game with a reskin".

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
With games as zelda breath of the wild running on handhelds, with games as star citizen on PC with games as ac odyssey on current gen consoles. I would say the only problem we have right now is that company's are idea bankrupt.

Everything can already be made that they want to be made, yet only everybody does is copy past the same shit over and over again. Which results after 5 minutes of playing "oh its this game with a reskin".

Everybody wants videogames with 4K resolution and Hollywood production values. That means investing tens, if not hundreds, of millions of dollars into creating a single videogame. That's why you're getting "Game X with a Re-Skin."

nextgen consoles ssds will change game design especially the ps5 with no loading screens more games will have god of war like designs more filmic, having no load screens sounds like something passive but itll bring a whole new spectrum in game designs because itll free developers on what they couldnt do before cause up until now loading screens where part of the games pipeline.

Another thing is lack of free or more indie games on consoles if consoles where more open and more people where freely allowed to design and port games into consoles itll improve game design since big companies or anybody can see a variety of game designs in the indie market, ideas/ education starts in the street then goes to universities and on this case goes to big AAA developers.

Lastly its game engines mostly open source engines like unreal and unity, i still feel game engines are still low level, you need prior knowledge of how 3d softwares work before you even try to engage in one and a game like dreams completely shames game engines, i cant help but feel if media molecules dream was a pc game engine normal people would be able to make AAA quality games easily as pie.

For any revolution to take place it needs a disruption, and no disruption will happen if power wont go to the gamers as things go along the way they are going along today i wont be surprised if more wokeness continues, more generic fps games every year, more fortnites and player unkowns will continue.

I dont mind the usual mario, fifa or cod with next gen graphics but everyfucking body wants to do the same this is what grinds my gears.

Sagii86

If they managed this with less than 2 TF that has PS4 almost at the beginning

I hope to see wonders in the next year.

I don't think most people really understand the leap forward we are making (specs wise) this time around.
You might not be able to see it right away because most devs are still just tweaking the engines based on current hardware but later on we will witness the biggest difference we've ever seen in gaming history. That's not an opinion. It's a fact.

Last edited:
Everybody wants videogames with 4K resolution and Hollywood production values. That means investing tens, if not hundreds, of millions of dollars into creating a single videogame. That's why you're getting "Game X with a Re-Skin."
Most of those millions of dollars are spent on asset creation and trying to force high resolution visuals to work on smaller memory budgets this is why every gen we get more ram and especially why sony invested so highly on a high speed ssd, cause with great power comes great responsibility,

Making toy story in 1990 took millions and making it today would simply take a nvidia gpu and a good gaming pc

I don't think most people really understand the leap forward we are making (specs wise) this time around.
You might not be able to see it right away because most devs are still just tweaking the engines based on current hardware but later on we will witness the biggest difference we've ever seen in gaming history. That's not an opinion. It's a fact.
Its a big leap but considering 4k 60 that 16gb wont be revolutionary although the ssds are but the ram is still dissapointing. But yeah cgi visuals are an obvious thing, last of us 2, the order, uncharted 4 where already that close and all used 5gb of vram cant wait to see what theyll do with 14-15gigs of vram

Banned
Found a 4k vid running on a 2080ti -

And yeah it struggles to hold 30fps at 4k in some areas. Obviously there will be little optimization in this demo but i think its fair to say that what you are seeing here is probably the pinnacle of what we can expect next gen graphics wise.

this is Unity Engine we're seeing here xD can't expect anything to run well on that thing

Top Bottom