• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be interested in a PC water cooler that has an LCD screen [NZXT KRAKEN]

So recently, an AIO came on the market that has an lcd screen. I find that fascinating. It's NZXT's Kraken lineup of water coolers.
It has an lcd screen that is customizable. It can display your cpu temp and your gpu temp as well. But here's what's even more cooler (pun intended). It can display a gif as well.
Isn't that amazing? You could have a nyan cat gif on top of your cpu, if you want. Or if you have a newer intel cpu, you could have a fire gif on a loop. :) joking :)
bb59d072-df2f-4a1a-ad1c-0bb0bbfd6a71.png

c939a579-9295-4e62-ac6c-63b418c90fb7.png

Now I've always had air coolers and I currently have one (artic freezer esports duo) but I'm thinking of getting this. The artic does it's job perfectly on my ryzen 3700x and I really have no need to water cool it, but my god this looks amazing. It is a bit pricey, around 250 usd, so it is a bit hard to swallow.
Are there any lcd water cooler fans here on GAF?

I think it's pretty cool depending on how accurate it is. But I'd rather have a built in reservoir like my swiftech for cooling purposes. Obviously having both would be nice though.

XEzGLgP.jpg

Plus the fans light up on mine... bwahaha

ZdS8j5C.jpg

Also, I'm pretty sure you get better thermals if you mount your block to the front no?

Anyway, my pc became the product of the best deals I could find. But if I had a choice I'd go either go completely open case mounted to the wall, or a sleeper style case. But it's hard to find those at a decent price with good thermals.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
While it’s certainly interesting, I can’t see the point, other than to be more “look at me!”, which I guess is the point of these things?

I mean, this looks just like my Nest thermostat, only in my computer?

My computer already has an LED read out for temp, that’s fine for me 👍🏻

$$$. Companies always has to come up with new ideas so people will buy the newer product which costs more.
Yep, nearly every company does this. Which is why everyone should do their homework when buying a PC... or anything really. I hunt for deals but I always read reviews and compare anyway. Sometimes it just happens that the best parts on sale at the time have all the lights of the Trans Siberian Orchestra.

While it’s certainly interesting, I can’t see the point, other than to be more “look at me!”, which I guess is the point of these things?

I mean, this looks just like my Nest thermostat, only in my computer?

My computer already has an LED read out for temp, that’s fine for me 👍🏻
Where is the readout on your PC? I think mine has a digital readout that I could switch to cpu temp but it's under the flipping gpu. So for people like me who have their PC on the floor where it is cooler it might make it easier to glance at. Like if someone is doing some benching or rendering and didn't want to sit there the whole time but wanted to be able to just glance in on the PC every once in a while to see if it's all good. I don't really know lol I'm spitballing here.

I ALMOST went with a Kraken. But I hate the price and software it uses. Went with the trusty Corsair h150i pro cooler this time. I’ve never had issues with any of my corsairs. Had a Deepcool leak on me once and said I’ll just go with Corsair from now on.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Where is the readout on your PC? I think mine has a digital readout that I could switch to cpu temp but it's under the flipping gpu. So for people like me who have their PC on the floor where it is cooler it might make it easier to glance at. Like if someone is doing some benching or rendering and didn't want to sit there the whole time but wanted to be able to just glance in on the PC every once in a while to see if it's all good. I don't really know lol I'm spitballing here.

Mine is on my actual case, at the top, it’s easy to see. It’s in classic alien pulse rifle red font as well, haha.

It works well enough, but to be fair I keep after burner on with cpu and GPU temp, so I don’t really look at it.

It's Christmas all year around in my living room.
Haha! That reminds me how I try to keep my tree up all year.. Have to take the ornaments off though. Wife hates it, she says, "I want Christmas to feel special." But we have a vaulted ceiling and I've always wanted a tree inside... Plus after we take the ornaments off, the cats love playing in it. (And it's a pain to put away...)

What is it with pc's and their quest to be the gaudiest things on the face of the earth??
It looks cool man. I'm not liking gaudiness as well, I prefer an understated look. Minnimalistic. I really hate rgb and especially rgb that constantly changes colors. I for the life of me cannot figure out how this doesn't bother people. But this looks cool to me. I dunno, having an lcd screen displaying temps inside my cpu is just cool to me.

I've always liked the look of the Kraken X62. In fact, I fancy going all NZXT in my next build. The Kraken, the ARGB fans, some nice custom cables, and the H510 Elite. Tasty. Not bothered about the temp reading, though.

I know the thermals aren't great, but it looks damned good.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
I love AIO coolers and have a window that it would shine nicely through but my tower sits on the side of my PC, I can't look into it.

I have an ROG Front base to see temps and stuff though:

Display_ON-700W.jpg

Paracelsus

I love AIO coolers and have a window that it would shine nicely through but my tower sits on the side of my PC, I can't look into it.

I have an ROG Front base to see temps and stuff though:

Display_ON-700W.jpg

Why do I feel that this is more expensive to buy a generic 1080p monitor just to feature MSI afterburner and Aida 64 on it?

LOLCats

Banned
I've seen that, and while my water days are over, if i was into water, id consider this for sure. However it is nzxt and likely requires some software running in the background all the time... so there'd be some research and probably in the end wouldn't put it in my computer. maybe if it just had a temp sensor and didn't require software always on.

id like to show you my sensor panel... give me a few and ill snap a shot. BRB.

Okay, i'm back!

So my sensor panel is honestly just thrown together with the information i need, you can really take it much further if you desire. I've been working on a better one, but it takes a bit of time to get the layout the way you want it.

This display is on a an inexpensive Samsung tablet on my desk and runs with Aida64 as the host. There are other solutions to do this, but this was the easiest route for me.

6dvwWz6.jpg

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
Why do I feel that this is more expensive to buy a generic 1080p monitor just to feature MSI afterburner and Aida 64 on it?

Invoice says I paid $72 for it at the time, which is about between the two listings for it right now on eBay.

I shamelessly acknowledge that it's a "treat yoself" luxury item. ASUS was plugging it as a companion item for their Maximus VII Hero motherboard I bought for my 4790k, but I got a bit down the line when I was itching for something to add to my system. It's a lot cooler to look at this thing flush against my DVDRW instead of a bunch of empty bay slots.

THAT SAID, you can overclock and adjust your fans on it, a long with a headphone jack and USB port. I would always rather have that on a nice little panel on the tower rather than adding a second monitor the desk.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
No this cheesy shit does not interest me, I have way more hurdles than I thought to disable the "woke shit" on my new board with upgrading to R3900X... If the motheboard or any other shit inside my case lights up, I find it to be an issue, rather than fashionable thing.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

No this cheesy shit does not interest me, I have way more hurdles than I thought to disable the "woke shit" on my new board with upgrading to R3900X... If the motheboard or any other shit inside my case lights up, I find it to be an issue, rather than fashionable thing.
The older I get, the more I tend to agree...

LOLCats

Banned
Well because video cards run at a higher idle freq with two monitors, which one raises average idle temps by 10 degrees and two, adds unnecessary load on the video card during gaming. So i stopped the second monitor for PC telemetry a long while back.

For about 10 years i used a logitech lcd panel on my speakers, but they died and were discontinued... so sad... then i switched to an android tablet solution and its been reliable so far.

Last edited:

M1chl

M1chl M1chl I only liked light and so during my adolescence. Today I'm more a fan of clean designs. Anything like a white Corsair Carbide 400c will please me.
Still to much glass, for the current trend of christmas tree on motherboards. Hey, I don't want to deal with I/O shield, so it's better to be directly implented on the board, but then you run into problem when you have a lot of surface area to add LEDs to...

LOLCats

Banned
Still to much glass, for the current trend of christmas tree on motherboards. Hey, I don't want to deal with I/O shield, so it's better to be directly implented on the board, but then you run into problem when you have a lot of surface area to add LEDs to...
my thermal-take case is an all glass year round christmas tree... or a gay rights parade, depending on my mood.

Last edited:
I actually just ordered one of these by accident in my new build.

• CAS: CyberPowerPC ELUNA 242V Premium RGB Gaming Case Mid-Tower w/ Tempered Glass Window Panel (White Color)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz [4.6GHz Turbo] 12 Cores/ 24 Threads 70MB Cache 105W Processor [+150]
  • FAN: NZXT Kraken M22 120mm RGB CPU Liquid Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate - Extreme Cooling Performance [+16] (Dual (Push-Pull) Standard 120MM Fans [+5]
  • HDD: 1TB WD Blue SN550 Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 2400/1950 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 410/405k [-19] (Single Drive)
  • HDD2: 10TB WD Easystore (Shucked external)
  • MEMORY: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/3200MHz Dual Channel Memory [+123] (GSKILL Ripjaws V [+18])
  • MOTHERBOARD: ASROCK X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4 ATX w/ WiFi, RGB, Intel LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 8 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe [-3]
  • VIDEO: AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 [Navi]
  • MONITOR: TCL 6 Series 55” 55R613
    My birthday present to myself. Looking forward to it. Should be here in about a week and a half.

• CAS: CyberPowerPC ELUNA 242V Premium RGB Gaming Case Mid-Tower w/ Tempered Glass Window Panel (White Color)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz [4.6GHz Turbo] 12 Cores/ 24 Threads 70MB Cache 105W Processor [+150]
  • FAN: NZXT Kraken M22 120mm RGB CPU Liquid Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate - Extreme Cooling Performance [+16] (Dual (Push-Pull) Standard 120MM Fans [+5]
  • HDD: 1TB WD Blue SN550 Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 2400/1950 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 410/405k [-19] (Single Drive)
  • MEMORY: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/3200MHz Dual Channel Memory [+123] (GSKILL Ripjaws V [+18])
  • MOTHERBOARD: ASROCK X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4 ATX w/ WiFi, RGB, Intel LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 8 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe [-3]
    My birthday present to myself. Looking forward to it. Should be here in about a week and a half.
That one doesn't have the lcd.
I think only the Z series of the Kraken lineup has the lcd.

Either way, congrats on the build. It seems pretty sweet.
I'm totally jelly of that 3900x.

Last edited:

M1chl

I hope you know what you are doing with that ASRock mobo, because it's not like I haven't have an issue with same chipset on the product twice that price.

How much did this cost?

Asking for a friend :)

Top Bottom