• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be satisfied only owning the Nintendo Switch as your ONLY game console?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Probably, it's the only console I still consider buying to have alongside my PC whenever a cool game is shown, from BOTW early on to Astrail Chain as a recent one. But then I remember I can't even buy all the great PC games to also spend on another system and its own games, lol. If only.

Last edited:

Fbh

Not really, no.
Most of my favorite games this gen and most of my most anticipated upcoming games aren't on Switch

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I have a job, so I don't have to worry about that.

It's pretty much the IDEAL 2nd console. They have a ton of stuff you can't get anywhere else on it. I can't imagine ever skipping Nintendo's stuff. But obviously lots of other games run better on PS4 that I enjoy as well.

I wouldn't be satisfied with any console as my only console. I am extremely used to having two consoles at least, plus portable consoles. For several years. If you told me PS4 was my only console, I would also be EXTREMELY unsatisfied.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
No. I love mine as I love a lot of Nintendo exclusives. But they aren’t my favorite and I don’t like enough of them to stay busy with how much gaming I do.

If I could only have one platform a generation it would be PlayStation as their exclusives are my favorite and I play a lot t multiplats AAAs and indies.

No, you'd be stuck retreading the same franchises over, and over, and over again while getting virtually nothing else from larger outside developers and publishers.

Mista

Banned
Many of my favourite franchises aren’t Nintendo so that’s why I said no. Also I’m not the type of a man that loves missing out on many great experiences just because I wanna own one platform

I still want and need to buy a switch lol. But I couldn't live without the Xbox one. I love halo far too much and actually enjoy some of the other exclusives to the system. SSO and Ori were worth the price of entry. That and I try and get in a few games of CE matchmaking everyday on the master chief collection.

GametimeUK

I hate to be this guy, but what about PC? If it was only consoles my priority would be...

1. PS4
2. Xbox One
3. Switch

The Switch is the one I'd hate to own as a sole gaming device. I would be ok with an Xbox, but still massively disappointed. A PS4 could work and has worked.

If we are including PC my priority would be...

1. PC + PS4
2. PC + Switch
3. PC + Xbox One

Nintendo just can't stand solo for me and haven't since the Snes days as far as I'm concerned. They make great secondary consoles.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i would have said no

but somehow i always go back to the switch.

modern in app shit dlc season pass crap. it's all less on the switch.

Pff hahaha no. The last Nintendo console that was satisfying as my ONLY console would've been the SNES. That released almost 30 years ago. Every Nintendo to some since then has been the secondary console to the others.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I'm PC only but I'm planning on getting a Switch since Vita is finished

Xbox is redundant since I have a PC

Don't care about PS4 exclusives at all...bunch of really dull games this gen things I'd play once and forget about...between that and the censorship and VR focus they have completely lost me

I don't think the Switch lineup is great or anything but its pretty much the only choice for me

Last edited:

Vayne

Neo Member
I have a Switch and I'm glad I have it cuz it brings me very good games but honestly, I use it more as a complement of my PS4.

StormCell

Maybe.

I wasn't satisfied with Wii or Wii U, so at various times I owned a 360 and then later on a PS3. And I've always gamed on PC too.

But Switch offers a lot of older games and some new games that can be played anywhere. It's an intersection of gaming.

PlayStation offers content not found anywhere else too. I'm not going to find the latest sports titles on Switch, nor will i will find CoD, Borderlands 3, GTA, and such on Switch.

But I don't really play those types of games a lot. The AAA market is losing my attention. I'm not really their audience. I prefer the games they basically stopped making.

Meanwhile, Nintendo has got my attention. They're making games I want. Third parties are porting what they can to switch, which happens to be some older games I'm interested in. It works for me. I'm happy with it.

I do play on PS4, but if Switch was all I had, I think I would be content. I can't say that about PS4 though... I would have said it about PS2 though

Solo Act

Would and am. I have the older Nintendo systems in a closet, but Switch is my only current-gen gaming device.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Thoughts ?

No. I can see the fun others have with it but PS4 is my go to. My son is 12 has a Switch and so do I but we are not drawn to their ips and never play it. Funny enough right before I saw this thread I told him "I hope you plan on playing your switch soon because I paid 400 for it!!!"

BlackTron

Only console? It's essentially what I'm doing now, I haven't touched any other console in about a year (although I own way more than I should).

Only game playing machine? Hell no. PC gets the most of time usually, but I'm not sure if it counts as a console in this case?

Barnabot

Ignorance would be a bliss in case I didn't know about any other console or even PC. But my cramped hands would constantly keep me reminded of finding a better controller with better ergonomics.

Shiken

Considering that I play on my Switch 80% of the time, yes I could easily be satisfied if all I had was a Switch. I buy all multiplats on Switch because the portability yields me an extra 4 hours a day to play them. While there are games on my PS4 Pro that do not come out on Switch, there are plenty of games that interest me that are on Switch. In fact, I find it hard to make time for PS4 games with my Switch backlog as it is, and the rest of the year has already been claimed by 8 Switch exclusives I have already pre ordered (thats not even counting multiplats). There are still games on PS4 that I will make time for such as God of War, Horizon, Persona 5, REmake 2, and DMCV but as time goes on I find myself less motivated to.

What people need to realize is that not only is Switch a viable primary/only console, but many already treat it as such. All gamers have different needs, and there are just as many that prefer the portability of the system with the benefits of being a hybrid as there are those who only game on a TV. Those that deny that fact either want Nintendo to fail anyway and are bitter about their success, or they are only looking at their own personal preferences and wrongfully jump to the conclusion that most people must feel the same way.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely NOT.

For me, Switch is currently my tertiary console and is only used for exclusives. After 2019 concludes, it could become my secondary console but even then, it will never ever be my primary console because I would never ever play any multi-platform games on it or play it undocked. Just no way.

Would be fine with Switch being my secondary console but as a primary console or only console, fuck no.

Despite being a huge Nintendo fanboy, I only recently purchased a Switch because games for it are stupid expensive in Brazil. Absolutely fantastic hardware, it's downright hypnotic how great it feels to play games in it. I think Nintendo makes the best games in the business by a comfortable margin and it's been bad not playing Odyssey in particular up until now. I think they're hitting a very good stride with their games, their output since the Wii U is mostly pristine.

Having said all that, never go Nintendo only. It's a terrible idea. At least pick one between the PC, PS4 or Xbox One. But definitely do not avoid Nintendo stuff unless you have to.

yoyo67

No, because I need to play Cyberpunk, Vampire:Masqurade, and Halo infinite. Now I have a PC+switch combo. Technically pc isn't a console so in a sense then yes....

Meesh

Previous gens had me with Nintendo and PC, very little Xbox or PS at all.

This gen? All Switch, all the time. That's all I know 😁

Top Bottom