• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy a Wii U for $100?

Nags

Banned
Would you buy one then?

Got mine at launch. Can't say I regret it, but it is my least played console across the board. On top of the Wii U, I own a Vita, PSP, PS4, PS3, PS2, Wii (for GC games), 360, Dreamcast and a current gaming PC with a 770. Money is not the issue for me when it comes to games.

The last game I got for it was SM3DW, which I was under the impression (from reviewers and some GAFfers) is suppose to be one of the best games this year.
What I found was just another solid Mario game. Nothing more, nothing less. There were plenty of other games this year that I would put before SM3DW. I found W101 to be much more enjoyable actually. Right now all I'm looking forward to X, SMT x FE, Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart. There's a good chance two of those games won't even be out until 2015. I love lots of VC games too, but Nintendo has been trickling them out very slowly.

Right now Wii U is not just competing against PS4 and THE ONE. It is also competing against a much more attractive PS3 and 360. Both can be found cheaper than a Wii U and have built up huge libraries of great games over 7 years. PS3 has free online, great deals with PS+, some of the best exclusives in the industry, blu-ray movie playback and a huge community of dedicated players. There are so many better options for the light and casual gamer.

The Wii U cannot tread water for much longer in this climate. I don't think even a price drop to $200 would turn enough heads to make a difference. If money was an issue for me and I could only choose one console to own it would be a PS3.

Would a price drop to $150-$100 be the sort of drastic move to get enough people's attention?
I asked at the start but I'll ask again:
Would even U buy one at $100?

Sneds

Yes. I would. That works out at about £75 which is the price I paid for my second-hand Wii. I think £100 would be worth the cost of entry to play Nintendo's output.

UrbanRats

Was hoping to find one for around 200€ (about 275$) but no luck.
For 100$, lol, of course i'd buy it, that's a little more than the price of a full retail game here.

Yobalt

Doesn't really matter what price they offer it at because the reason I don't want the system is because the hardware is shit.

If you don't get it at that price, Reggie would have to personally deliver pizza to you and give you $1,000,000 with a free WiiU for you to get one

erawsd

I think Nintendo is still losing money or barely breaking even @$300. Taking a drastic loss on each isn't really Nintendos style.

Cromat

No afraid not. If anything I'd like to get a 3ds. If given a choice between a 2DS even or a Wii U I'd take the first any day.

UrbanRats

Doesn't really matter what price they offer it at because the reason I don't want the system is because the hardware is shit.

You judge hardware in a vacuum, not proportionally to price? In that case anything short of a sli Titan PC is "shit".
And the hardware inside your phone is also shit.

jms493

Neo Member
No...I have PS4, Xbone, 360, PC, 3DS and a shitty Vita.

I dont need another console and I can get my Nintendo fix on my 3DS

GutsOfThor

Hell, I'd get one for $150. I said in a post last month that I didn't give a shit about Nintendo but after seeing Super Mario 3D and some other games that piqued my interest, I'd definitely get one at this price.

Nags

Banned
So I'm seeing some comments that even at $100 it isn't worth it. Is the Wii U seriously that unattractive?
I know the problems with the system run deeper than just price, but damn!

Somnid

I don't see the point of this thread. You're just going to get the worst internal value rationalizations that are too highly specific to people to be worthwhile for discussion. Why not $50? $0? Reggies mails you $100?

The Hermit

I have one and I love it... But I don't recomend it. Its not a matter of price.

It lacks just too many genres like fighting, racing, sports in general.

ItIsOkBro

By the numbers it's losing but the Wii U is the best console out right now. It‘s winning the competition against PS4 and XB1 because those are still stuck with crappy launch titles. And it‘s library extends to the Wii so it can keep up with PS3 and 360.

Freki

Yes 100$ seems fair to me - at the moment I want:

3D World
WW HD
Pikmin 3
X

25$ Premium to play each of these titles would be accaptable...

I'd be down for a 100, or even 150. Possibly even 199, depending on how good X is. But right now, at 300? I can't really justify it.

Right now? Probably not. I honestly have no desire to really play Nintendo IPs anymore outside of a couple on the Wii U and the 3DS.

Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D are the only games I'm really interested in. Lego City Undercover too. So, nah. Probably not even at $100.

It's going to bomb like the Dreamcast and stores will start clearing them out for super cheap pretty soon. I mean, why take up that much shelf space if it's not selling? NPDs were abysmal, and Mario was the worst selling of the bunch.

Like the NGC, I expect a $99 price point fairly soon.

By the numbers it's losing but the Wii U is the best console out right now. It‘s winning the competition against PS4 and XB1 because those are still stuck with crappy launch titles. And it‘s library extends to the Wii so it can keep up with PS3 and 360.

Strange, I'm loving my PS4 launch games (outside of NBA2k14) and there are quite a few titles in the future (something I'm not sure of with the Wii U) that I'm looking forward to from all developers, not just the platform holder.

I bought one last month for around 400 bucks, and I'm happy with it, it's a great system with great games and a promising 2014 imo.
I own Pikmin 3, W101, MH3U, Nintendoland, and 3D World and It's so worth it. I still need to get Zombi U and Rayman Legends too.

For 100? that's a fucking steal I'd buy two just because it would be so cheap.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Probably not even there. Nintendo is notorious for keeping their game prices so high that it wouldn't even be much of a deal.

That's basically like paying a wii price and getting something that plays wii u games as a free bonus. Of course people would buy it

Of course. I was actually contemplating one for christmas (no PS4 for me just yet) but the fact that it's still $300 (I was under the impression they were selling bundles for $250) put me off a bit, and seeing November NPDs stifled my enthusiasm for it a bit. If sales continue like that we're bound to see another price cut sooner or later, but at the same time I'm a bit hesitant to paying more than $200 for what might be the next Dreamcast... so yeah, while my interest has been piqued, I've gotta wait for the price to drop a bit more before I commit.

QuiteUndead

Neo Member
Damn lol
IgMyx.gif

hachi

Banned
Ridiculous to ask for.

An Apple TV costs about $100 with no storage, no disc drive, and a cheap IR remote. For everything you get in the Wii U box (even with no pack-in game), anything under $200 is ludicrous.

I wouldn't expect it to ever reach 100 unless they just gave up on it, and you'd be buying a dead system.

I can see it hitting 199 in 1-2 years, that's probably the perfect price.

Top Bottom