• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you choose money over friendship?

Friendship or getting rich?

• Friends

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • Millions dollar

Votes: 57 72.2%

• Total voters

Jethalal

Banned
You should add a poll I think.
Personally all my interests are relatively low cost and sharing our experiences with friends generally doubles the fun so I'd choose friends over money. 10 Million is a huge amount but I don't have any interest in things like cars, mansions, etc. Books, games, music, movies on the other hand are quite cheap and when I buy expensive things like a smartwatch, I feel cheated within 2 days as they don't seem to be worth the money and my interest fades away too.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
8639348034f4e9cb3c44d67f5b4c2614.gif

-Arcadia-

Banned
(Takes $10 million check)

(Television commercial)

Hi. I’m Arcadia, and I think Resetera is the best forum on the internet today. Thoughtful, consistent moderation meets a stable and friendly userbase in a welcoming, inviting environment where you can share your thoughts freely. Come on over today!

nush

Gold Member
Yeah, seeing as when you get older all your mates fuck off and are too busy with the family anyway. I'm skipping to the end.

So long suckers.

Jethalal

Banned
Genuinely curious for ones choosing money, isn't 10 milli a small amount for that decision. If it was something like 1 billion, then I think that money could've lasted you a lifetime but 10 million is like an expensive car and a house and then you gotta pay maintenance and property tax on them so it doesn't makes sense to me at all.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Idk. I think most could make 10 million stretch pretty far, lol.

The key is not to go all sports player crazy with it, and be smart. It isn’t unlimited.

Personally, if I was a millionaire, I’d probably just live in a decently nice house in a state with lower cost of living, and try to invest some of it it in smart, basically risk-free ways, while stretching it out to have a comfy life with anything reasonable I want (including epic vacations).

Jethalal

Banned
Idk. I think most could make 10 million stretch pretty far, lol.

The key is not to go all sports player crazy with it, and be smart. It isn’t unlimited.

Personally, if I was a millionaire, I’d probably just live in a decently nice house in a state with lower cost of living, and try to invest some of it it in smart, basically risk-free ways, while stretching it out to have a comfy life with anything reasonable I want (including epic vacations).
Yeah but you won't be having the fuck-you kind of money and you won't be able to have the fun of being rich if you spend money so conservatively. This is why I think choosing friends, especially if you have a very solid relations is much smarter.

Jethalal

Banned
Are you sure about that? Yes, inflation, but 10 million still seems like an overwhelmingly large pile of money to dive into.
It is but I believe only if you have got more money to back up the upkeep of your purchases like maintenance costs, taxes, etc. If you have a big house you'll need housekeeping staff to keep it in good shape, if you have a great car they have exorbitant maintenance costs and many require special fuel which costs more. So if you get 10 mill in cash without knowing how to get more, then I believe it's a stupid deal.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It is but I believe only if you have got more money to back up the upkeep of your purchases like maintenance costs, taxes, etc. If you have a big house you'll need housekeeping staff to keep it in good shape, if you have a great car they have exorbitant maintenance costs and many require special fuel which costs more. So if you get 10 mill in cash without knowing how to get more, then I believe it's a stupid deal.
But does it have to be on/off binary?

Isn’t there a space somewhere inbetween mansions and Ferraris, and how most of us live today, that’s fun, awesome, and sustainable? See what I’m saying?

I would be very, very happy to have those kinds of funds.

Jethalal

Banned
But does it have to be on/off binary?

Isn’t there a space somewhere inbetween mansions and Ferraris, and how most of us live today, that’s fun, awesome, and sustainable? See what I’m saying?

I would be very, very happy to have those kinds of funds.
There is but that was my original point, that it most likely won't be a big step up from our current lives. There would be some great advantages too though, you could finally afford the best college you want without student loans and ofcourse you'll be able to afford a great home too but the ones thinking 10 mill would make them the happiest person alive and make all others look like plebs are in for a disappointment IMO.

farmerboy

Friends. It'd be pretty sad to someday realise that people only engaged with you because of money.

As life goes on, you realise that you whittle your "friends" down to a small group of true, lifelong friends. Why would you exchange that friendship for money?

Dthomp

Wait...are we really acting like 10 million isn‘t beyond life changing money for most of the world? I could live off that 10x over for the rest of my life with none of the worries of bills and shit getting me down. As you get old, you basically just cross friends off an imaginary list as you focus on your life, gimme that money no questions asked.

Onironauta

I choose the money because my friends are not very good friends.

I'd choose the friends if i had deeper and more valuable friendships.

Drake

All my friends are now married with kids, so it's not like I see them much anyways. I would definitely choose the money. If I wanted to make new friends I'd probably just work a crappy low stress, low paying job and make new friends there.

Enjay

Banned
Stupidest question ever asked and no doubt the thread is full of even stupider answers from people trying to come off as enlightened individuals.

Last edited:
Top Bottom