• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you consider the racing in GTA5/Online "Arcade style racing"

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Everyone always asks for Arcade racers. Admittedly I dont play this game but my friend is obsessed with the racing portion only. I watch him stream it all the time. Seems like a lot of fun and very arcade style, not a lot of damage etc. Lots of cars to choose from, cool, crazy tracks, more serious tracks.

There is even a racing only mod community.

What are your thoughts about the racing only portion of this game?

Kokoloko85

Not for me.

Its more like sega fucking rally ( which I class as a rally more realistic type driving game ). The driving controls in GTA5 was one of the main reasons I didn’t carry on playing GTA5.

Yes I suck at it and most racing games and I realise most people say the controls are great.

For me, GTA 4 and Sleeping dogs driving controls was much easier and arcade like. I loved both those games and the driving control.

With GTA5 it felt like the car was always sliding and drifting with the back wheels. Chasing a sports car with a freaking slow car while shooting became a choir and I quit playing it.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

I think so, especially with the air control you have.

Most of my GTA Online time was spent racing, but the long ass loading times for lobbies stopped me from playing that game. Haven't tried it in years though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not for me.

Its more like sega fucking rally. The driving controls was one of the main reasons I didn’t carry on playing GTA5.

Yes I suck at it and most racing games and I realise most people say the controls are great.

For me, GTA 4 and Sleeping dogs driving controls was much easier and arcade like. I loved both those games and the driving control.

With GTA5 it felt like the car was always sliding and drifting with the back wheels. Chasing a sports car with a freaking slow car while shooting became a choir and I quit playing it.
Sega Rally is like the definition of arcade racing though.

Kokoloko85

Sega Rally is like the definition of arcade racing though.

I class that as a rally racing game, the controls are more realistic etc.
Id normally say something like Ridge Racer or Dayatona was a Arcade racing game. I dunno, I dont play with the genre much so my definition is probably totally wrong.

Roxkis_ii

I think it actually depends on the track. If your on a non stunt track, I think you could argue Sim-arcade.

Spoilers add more downforce
The thickness of your tires and ride height affect traction.

Only thing I'm not sure of is how accurate are the cars to their real life counter parts.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I class that as a rally racing game, the controls are more realistic etc.
Id normally say something like Ridge Racer or Dayatona was a Arcade racing game. I dunno, I dont play with the genre much so my definition is probably totally wrong.

Sega Rally is far from realistic in any way, but alright. :)

Kokoloko85

Sega Rally is far from realistic in any way, but alright. :)
Like I said Im no expert, but compared to the other racers at the time it felt less arcadey lol. Well I dont thinkk Gran Turismo was out at the time.

Ridge Racer type 4 and Dayatona USA was my favourites haha. And Monaco GP on the Megadrive/Genesis :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom