• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you ever be interested in seeing other directors aside from Hideo Kojima helming games at Koji Pro?

mortal

Gold Member
90VBAm3.gif

With Death Stranding now in the hands of players, it's likely that Kojima has already assembled a skeleton crew to begin preproduction for the next game he'll be directing. Which is more than likely Death Stranding 2, or even Death Stranding 1.5. before that.

Hideo Kojima has been on record stating that he'll be designing games till he dies (which is rather admirable,) Although there will come a point where he eventually retires from AAA production altogether.

I'm curious if future Kojima Productions titles will see other capable and vsionary directors taking helm of production. Would you ever be interested in other creative visions taking lead of the Koji Pro team? Or even see the creative direction led by other art directors or character designers, aside from the prolific Yoji Shinkawa?

Enjay

Banned
If Tomonobu Itagaki can be allowed to be Tomonobu Itagaki I would love to see what type of insanity he could do with Koji Pro.

KOMANI

KOMANI
There will be. At old Kojipro, Shuyo Murata directed ZOE2 (Anubis), co directed MGS4 (was supposed to direct alone), Shinta Nojiri directed Ghost Babel and the AC!D series, and Ikuya Nakamura directed the Boktai series (4 games) and co directed Ground Zeroes. Murata is part of new Kojipro, he’ll probably end up directing a title.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
If Tomonobu Itagaki can be allowed to be Tomonobu Itagaki I would love to see what type of insanity he could do with Koji Pro.
That's an unusual choice. What about his sensibilities do you think would lend well to Koji Pro?

There will be. At old Kojipro, Shuyo Murata directed ZOE2 (Anubis), co directed MGS4 (was supposed to direct alone), Shinta Nojiri directed Ghost Babel and the AC!D series, and Ikuya Nakamura directed the Boktai series (4 games) and co directed Ground Zeroes. Murata is part of new Kojipro, he’ll probably end up directing a title.
Good to know. I would love to see What Shuyo Murata could accomplish with the Decima Engine. New IP would be ideal.

I don't really care tbh. After death stranding, chances are, Koji pro won't be around much longer.
That's such an extreme statement, I'm not sure whether or not you're joking tbh.

Ryu Kaiba

I want more Kojima games but if Kojima were to take a break and another director could fill his shoes for a bit I'd like it to be Fumito Ueda.

mortal

Gold Member
I want more Kojima games but if Kojima were to take a break and another director could fill his shoes for a bit I'd like it to be Fumito Ueda.
Given that Fumito Ueda went on to establish his own 3rd party studio, I doubt he would be interested. Although a collaboration between genDESIGN and Koji Pro would make for some intriguing results.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Because you asked a question? Of course you're not going to ask to elaborate when someone replied with "Swery" or "God I hope so."
You said no, so imagine you don't want to see other directors take lead at Koji Pro. I'm curious why you're not interested. Your one word response doesn't tell me much.

mortal

Gold Member
Hmmm another thread about Death Stranding - but disguised as if it's not. Impressive.
I'm not the type of person to "disguise" anything. The thread is exactly about what the OP is asking. I'm even sure how you even managed to come that conclusion.

CamHostage

If that meant KojiPro was making games for a new portable PlayStation, then absolutely...

Unfortunately, I think the days of small games as side-projects for big studios has come and gone. I was a huge fan of that period where PSP/DS were raging and XBLA/PSN offered tons of opportunity for experimentation and we had a wide range from megabudget productions to one-man dream side-projects coming out from major studios. Like The Cartographer said, there was a strong culture of apprentice talent at KCET and to a degree Kojima Productions Konami, (though I'm not sure if Kojima himself shepherded them or if these upstarts just got a big name stapled to their project?) and there are a number of good games from designers who did well in Kojima's orbit. The GBA&PSP Metal Gear games are some of my fave go-tos of the series even though everything but PeaceWalker is swept off canon (that makes them better sometimes since I can just play and not be mired in the big picture.)

Now, though, it's AAA or bust, and I don't see Kojima Productions doing many productions that are offshoots. Gor every major title, then, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to not have the guy whose name is on the door and on the box doing the game. An integral part of the hype and payoff for following and enjoying a Kojima Productions creation is the man, the myth, the legacy himself. Perhaps the studio will some day have an identity crisis (sort of like Ghibli has gone through with Miyazaki constantly threatening retirement) of trying to decide who and what Kojima Productions is with no more Kojima, but that's a luxury problem to deal with that the studio would be blessed to survive long enough to contend with.

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
You beat me to post that. I think Fumito Ueda could evolve his visions with the help of the direction and cinematography experience from Kojima. Those two guys unrestrained would be too much to the industry. Just throw Yoko Taro together there so the world can blow haha.

Shifty

Hmm.

On the one hand, it's kinda in the name. If it doesn't have HIDEO KOJIMA plastered all over the credits then what are you paying for.

On the other, Kojima has enough sway in the industry to facilitate interesting stuff from other lesser auters if KojiPro was opened up to other directors. Could potentially be good.

Top Bottom