• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you pay 800 Dollars for the PlayStation 5 at launch?

Well, would ya punk?

• Yes

Votes: 93 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 606 86.7%

• Total voters

ZehDon

Firstly, the article is over a year old. I'd be worried about a perma ban for necro-posting garbage tier articles from years ago and pretending it's relevant. Secondly, no, because Sony will never charge USD$800.00 for their console. Period.

Close this thread. We're done here.

Last edited:
Firstly, the article is over a year old. I'd be worried about a perma ban for necro-posting garbage tier articles from years ago and pretending it's relevant. Secondly, no, because Sony will never charge USD$800.00 for their console. Period.

I'm sorry, I didn't notice you were a mod. Thank God since then Sony has come out and set the price for the PS5 so we don't have to waste our time debating rumors and shit.

The Fartist

Gold Member
It's too much but if that were to be its cost then I shall pay along with the lint of my wallet, I'm 100% in, I don't give a fuck!

welcome-australia.jpg

It literally doesn't matter, because this thread isn't about the article, it's about asking you if you'd pay that or not.

saintjules

This thread also comes from an idea by a sleep deprived OutrageousFacts OutrageousFacts lol. There's been some crazy rumor about the PS5 costing 800 dollars and while that's certainly bullshit, assume for a second that the tech inside it justifies that price tag and they roll with it. SEX costs 780 bucks because Phil is one clever devil. We go from $399 for the PS4 to double that for the PS5. Would you do it?

No matter how silly you find the question, please answer it truthfully and maybe post why yes/no. PC masturbators spend more than that anyway to play Katawa Shoujo, so are consoles destined for that price range? And if so, are you there?

When I saw the price I immediately knew it stemmed from Michael Pachter last year.

Video didn't age well, but he's since then dialed back his opinion on price and you could tell when he was on the interview with Geoff Keighley and Peter Moore via Summer Game Fest. I think he said $500 by then. So the ridiculous claim has been dead for a while.

Last edited:
It literally doesn't matter, because this thread isn't about the article, it's about asking you if you'd pay that or not.

Exactly, the article was just Google exercise so people wouldn't think it was a random number. Like it's in the OP, the rumor is bullshit, but the idea that a console could launch at that price is not. It could happen.

Lol No. $800 would be insane and guarantee a historic failure.

My personal max is $600. But if either console launches over $500 they'll experience severe sales challenges. I wouldn't go so far as to say they'll be DOA above $500 but that would be a sign that one or both companies are essentially giving up on sales numbers coming anywhere close to current gen.

It may be that both consoles will be severely supply constrained due to the Coronavirus anyway, so they may calculate insubstantial sales losses at or around a $500 price point. But history has shown us what most people are willing to pay for a console. And we know where the "sweet spot" lies. Inflation or no, the general feeling from most consumers seems to be that the $400 price point maximizes early to mid gen sales momentum. A certain relatively small percent of early adopters will of course jump in no matter the price. But $800 is suicide.

Pallas

I think at one point maybe this could had been somewhat realistic? But their plans had to have change when COVID-19 crippled the world.

edit: wanted to clarify that no, I would not spend $800 on a console.

Last edited:

ZehDon

I'm sorry, I didn't notice you were a mod. Thank God since then Sony has come out and set the price for the PS5 so we don't have to waste our time debating rumors and shit.
Shouldn't need to be a mod to understand what garbage looks or smells like. There's nothing to debate here. Literally nothing.

"Tom Cruise might be a time traveler from another dimension! He might be here to drink your brain and eat your children!"
"He's clearly not"
"Oh I'm sorry - has he come out and expressly said he's not?! We're just trying to have an open and honest debate about an important issue here!"

To end this nonsense: Sony is not charging USD$800.00 for their console. Console prices, adjusted for inflation, have come down dramatically over the years despite their increase in performance power. The nature of economies of scale when dealing with technology. Not only would USD$800.00 be well outside the norm, it would place the PS5 amongst the most expensive consoles ever made. Given that Sony used the PS4 Pro to ensure their console platform would remain technologically relevant, removing the need to front-load the machine to keep it relevant six years post-launch at heavy expense, they're not going to suddenly veer to the left and abandon that strategy when it worked so damn well. If you think Sony's engineers produced a 10TFLOP box that'll somehow cost USD$800.00 your opinion just isn't worth considering.

DinoD

Knowing Sony pricing strategy here in AUS, I am not expecting PS5 to cost less than $700 AUD. My prediction is $749-799 AUD., at the current exchange rate. I bought my PS3 (2nd revision, no EE chip) at launch here, for a whopping $999 AUD. Which I came to regret, since I had finished RFOM, there was nothing worth playing for at least a year.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck no. My limit is $500. Anything higher, I'll wait for a price drop.

Iced Arcade

No...I don't care if it was a supercharged PC and 5 super duper SSD that could play toy story graphics.

Not to mention here in Canada it would be roughly $1083 + sales tax. So extra fuck that

Last edited:

yewles1

I won't be able to save up $500 in time for launch, so in my case it's not a matter of me not wanting to, I just flat out CAN'T!

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
No, but I’ll buy one and sell it to somebody willing to pay $800, then use the extra $350 towards a PS5 SAD. I’m extremely tempted by the R&C trailer. That shit looks awesome.

Lol no, I will pay $500. You might get me at $549, but that launch lineup better be stellar.

Really, it all depends on the launch lineup. If the lineup sucks I might not get it at all (aka no exclusives I care about). I'll still have my PS4 Pro and PC. What's been "confirmed" for launch anyway? Spiderman?

lachesis

I am willing to dish out up to $799 at launch, providing there is a must-have AAA game that I am strongly interested in. Otherwise I will wait till the title of my interest is available.

Still rocking with current PS4 and Switch - the backlog that I want to tap in is plenty for at least 6 months.

I will however get xsx on day1 - that I was contemplating getting the 1x recently due to their enhanced BC games.

Shouldn't need to be a mod to understand what garbage looks or smells like. There's nothing to debate here. Literally nothing.

"Tom Cruise might be a time traveler from another dimension! He might be here to drink your brain and eat your children!"
"He's clearly not"
"Oh I'm sorry - has he come out and expressly said he's not?! We're just trying to have an open and honest debate about an important issue here!"

To end this nonsense: Sony is not charging USD$800.00 for their console. Console prices, adjusted for inflation, have come down dramatically over the years despite their increase in performance power. The nature of economies of scale when dealing with technology. Not only would USD$800.00 be well outside the norm, it would place the PS5 amongst the most expensive consoles ever made. Given that Sony used the PS4 Pro to ensure their console platform would remain technologically relevant, removing the need to front-load the machine to keep it relevant six years post-launch at heavy expense, they're not going to suddenly veer to the left and abandon that strategy when it worked so damn well. If you think Sony's engineers produced a 10TFLOP box that'll somehow cost USD$800.00 your opinion just isn't worth considering.

Okay time traveling Tom Cruise, but thing is you're missing the point here. The PS4 launched here in Brazil for what was at the time over 1000 USD. Some people bought it. I'm sure there are other countries where it doesn't cost the same it does for amerifats. So, combining that with the lack of any announced price AND the anticipation for those consoles, would people be willing to shell out an inordinate amount for these consoles? You see, the question isn't about the exact value here, but rather about what people would be willing to pay for it. I fail to see why that question got you so angry, it's a hypothetical question that's clearly presented as such.

Leonidas

Hell no.

I wouldn't even pay $500 for a PS5. Sony exclusives alone ain't worth that price for me (which is the only thing that might interest me on PS5). I'll wait for the exclusives to come to PC and buy them there or buy the PS5 late-gen when it and the exclusives are cheap.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Okay time traveling Tom Cruise, but thing is you're missing the point here. The PS4 launched here in Brazil for what was at the time over 1000 USD. Some people bought it. I'm sure there are other countries where it doesn't cost the same it does for amerifats. So, combining that with the lack of any announced price AND the anticipation for those consoles, would people be willing to shell out an inordinate amount for these consoles? You see, the question isn't about the exact value here, but rather about what people would be willing to pay for it. I fail to see why that question got you so angry, it's a hypothetical question that's clearly presented as such.
Ok, so you're qualifying the question: would people in Brazil pay $200.00 less than the PS4 for the PS5? Is that actually what you mean - would you pay USD$800.00 directly? Or do you mean with conversion to local metrics? You're not being specific enough to make a point, and when you add in the specificity, the question becomes ludicrous. So, let's get specific. Being an Australian myself, the price of these consoles never aligns correctly to the American price - but it creates the launching pad. For example, if the PS4 launched for $399.00, we paid something like AUD$549.00. So, following similar conflation, at a launch price of USD$800.00, I'd expect around AUD$1,100.00. That's more than the PS3, which failed here at launch. No one would ever pay that. In Brazil, following the same conflation, a USD$800.00 launch price would be something like USD$2,100.00. Would anyone pay that? If USD$1000.00 was unreasonable, over double is laughable.

Like I said, there's nothing debate here. Might as well ask "Would you pay USD$1,000,000 and be kicked in the nuts?" because it's all hypothetical, right?

Ok, so you're qualifying the question: would people in Brazil pay $200.00 less than the PS4 for the PS5? Is that actually what you mean - would you pay USD$800.00 directly? Or do you mean with conversion to local metrics? You're not being specific enough to make a point, and when you add in the specificity, the question becomes ludicrous. So, let's get specific. Being an Australian myself, the price of these consoles never aligns correctly to the American price - but it creates the launching pad. For example, if the PS4 launched for $399.00, we paid something like AUD$549.00. So, following similar conflation, at a launch price of USD$800.00, I'd expect around AUD$1,100.00. That's more than the PS3, which failed here at launch. No one would ever pay that. In Brazil, following the same conflation, a USD$800.00 launch price would be something like USD$2,100.00. Would anyone pay that? If USD$1000.00 was unreasonable, over double is laughable.

Like I said, there's nothing debate here. Might as well ask "Would you pay USD$1,000,000 and be kicked in the nuts?" because it's all hypothetical, right?

How can you come to the conclusion there's nothing to debate here when your first paragraph sounds exactly like debatable stuff? This isn't an unreasonable question, it's not like I'm asking what would you do if Sony asked you to sign PSN Plus and BLACKED.com to play online. And besides, people should prepare their asses for a high price point for these babies. We have 0 indication of it being cheap, on the contrary, every rumor has been about it being priced at a premium. It won't be 800 bucks, but I don't know man it could be significantly higher than the PS4. And it could cost more than that in Australia, Brazil, Zanzibarland, wherever.

You're underestimating the irrational drive people have for new tech.

GenericUser

Yeah I would, if Cyberpunk, Dyning Light, Battlefield 6 and Elder Scrolls 6 would also be available at launch. The games decide how much I'm willing to pay honestly.

ZehDon

How can you come to the conclusion there's nothing to debate here when your first paragraph sounds exactly like debatable stuff? This isn't an unreasonable question, it's not like I'm asking what would you do if Sony asked you to sign PSN Plus and BLACKED.com to play online. And besides, people should prepare their asses for a high price point for these babies. We have 0 indication of it being cheap, on the contrary, every rumor has been about it being priced at a premium. It won't be 800 bucks, but I don't know man it could be significantly higher than the PS4. And it could cost more than that in Australia, Brazil, Zanzibarland, wherever.

You're underestimating the irrational drive people have for new tech.
If you want to debate price, cool, let's go into one of a dozen next-gen threads where the basis of the thread isn't a garbage article from a year ago that was trash when it was written, and have a real discussion. This thread is about "Would you pay 800 dollars for the Playstation 5". You've said it won't be 800 bucks. Every person in this thread has said no. So, what's there to debate?

Not at all. You're overestimating Sony's idiocy if you think they'll launch a console during a global pandemic that would price the majority of people out of the market. Is it gonna be pricey? Oh, absolutely. I'll write you a wall of text explaining why I think that. Will it be USD$800? Not a fucking chance.

Well I know Sony’s trying to outdo their previous generations but trying to beat the ps3 for worst launch is not the best to be aiming for

If you want to debate price, cool, let's go into one of a dozen next-gen threads where the basis of the thread isn't a garbage article from a year ago that was trash when it was written, and have a real discussion. This thread is about "Would you pay 800 dollars for the Playstation 5". You've said it won't be 800 bucks. Every person in this thread has said no. So, what's there to debate?

Not at all. You're overestimating Sony's idiocy if you think they'll launch a console during a global pandemic that would price the majority of people out of the market. Is it gonna be pricey? Oh, absolutely. I'll write you a wall of text explaining why I think that. Will it be USD$800? Not a fucking chance.

I don't remember a poll for this and asking this question in a next-gen thread would get it lost in the shuffle. I have even said myself multiple times that launching a console priced at this range is suicide. We all know that the PS5 won't be 800 bucks, but we have a lot of indication pointing towards it being expensive. So with the hype growing for its proximity, this is a good time to ask this question using it as an example. I could have asked would you pay 800 bucks for the PS6, but most people would say yeah since that's so far in the future like fuck it. PS5 is more real, more tangible. With midgen refresh cancer being a thing, we could have a PS5 Pro in a couple of years and that could be 800 bucks. Prices could skyrocket and by then, is the proposition of buying a console even valid?

Not every person in this thread has said they wouldn't do it BTW.

JimiNutz

Banned
I may do if the XsX didn't exist.

Like if it was a choice of $800 at launch or nothing then I may just pony up the cash so that I have nice new shiny hardware at launch. I think there's something special about getting a new console day one and booting it up for the first time, it's like Christmas.

If I could cop XsX for cheaper than $800 then I'd likely just go with that though...

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
No I'm not going t buy a PS5 anyway. I wouldn't pay that much even for an XsX,. The highest I'd go is $599, maybe $649 if that's list price. If it were any more I'd wait until the 1st price drop and keep playing on my 1X .

Kupfer

I was expecting up to 800€ before all the reveals anyway. $800 is just $710, so - yes, I will buy it.

Bryank75

Banned
They won't go over 500 but if they are doing a mid-gen refresh, I hope they go to 600. It's mostly very core gamers that buy a midgen upgrade and pushing for a higher end one would be awesome and give more longevity to the generation.

Nope.

But to put things into some gaming-related context: there are people paying Valve $1000 for their Valve Index VR headset (pc not included) and even $500 for a 128GB version of the Oculus Quest standalone VR headset (pc not required)

$500 may sound harsh for a console, but that's only because we're far more than 7 years in the $200-400 price range...

TheAssist

IF the hardware inside it was worth it (eg a comparable PC would cost like 2000 €) then yeah sure (and if enough games were actually using that power to do something interesting, not just higher resolution). It just really depends whats in it. I wouldnt pay that just for more storage though.
I mean I consider upgrading my PC for around 1500 € this year, so I dont see a problem with a 800€ console in general.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
For those of you who have said that you would not pay $800 for a PS5, is there something for which you would change your mind if it were paired with a PS5?

Grinchy

Banned
For those of you who have said that you would not pay $800 for a PS5, is there something for which you would change your mind if it were paired with a PS5?
If it was a bundle with PSVR2, I'd pay $800-1000 depending on how good the new VR kit was, but $800 just the system on its own is too much for a game console. No one would pay that.

Last edited:

AllyITA

NO, even 600 is a bit too much, 500 i can be ok with.
same thing for XSX.

i have a beast PC to play most of what is coming out, so there's no need for a next gen console at launch; expecially with the probably very scarse line up they will have.

Aceofspades

Banned
I still think console makers are unfairly squeezed in pricing compared to most other consumers electronics. Fans always demand the the most cutting edge features for cheap. Look at stand alone GPU/CPU prices (Nvidia lol). SSDs prices, phone prices among other thing.

Consoles are a bargain at $499 , hell even $599 or $699 for a device you use for 7 years.

Texas Pride

Banned
Is this a serious thread? I'm not paying more than 500 for a PS5. Anyone considering 600,700,800 for a PS5 please seek help.

Top Bottom