• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you play a Nintendo shared worlds role-playing game?

Would you play this game?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Basically, it would be a game with the shared worlds concept of Kingdom Hearts where you play as Nester traveling to a bunch of different Nintendo-themed worlds (Super Mario, Metroid, Legend of Zelda, Kirby etc), each of which could be divided into different large zones like a modern RPG. Sort of like the Mario & Luigi RPG games but bigger and better as it would be on the Switch or Switch 2.

After completing a world you (Nester) recruit a "Legendary Hero" such as Fox McCloud from Starfox whose ship helps you reach other Nintendo-themed worlds. The further you progress through the story, the more Legendary Heroes you have to select for your main party of four along with special moves and upgradeable abilities tied to each character. Reggie Fils-Aime could be the shop clerk, selling you potions and reminiscing about his time at the Animal Crossing world.

I like to envision it as a celebration of the history of Nintendo games. Like how Super Smash Bros. is their go-to fighting game, this would be their go-to RPG except it doesn't necessarily have to spawn any sequels.

What do you think?

I'd totally play it. But what I really want is a stylish art style Splatoon Tactics SRPG. Expand the lore. Show more cities. Show the history of the Octolings war, human extinction, squid space travel and squid politics. Redesign all the abilities for grid based tactics combat. Have a killer OST. Even throw in a Mario Sunshine reference or two. Show what Salmon cities are like and reveal the identity of Mr. GRIZZ

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

SO like Captain N the game? Nah. Not to call in the Nintendo hit squad on me but in my opinion very few of Nintendo's Worlds are interesting or fleshed out to the average player. (Yes I have no doubt someone will whip out a spread sheet of the royal family tree of Mushroom Kingdom as well as its territorial disputes through the ages) . The worlds were always just kind of there as a backdrop with continuity even shifting from game to game. Kingdom Hearts had the advantage of worlds that had well known histories and stories.
Smash Bros is more Nintendo's style. Fun characters and familiar backdrops to flex in.

SO like Captain N the game? Nah. Not to call in the Nintendo hit squad on me but in my opinion very few of Nintendo's Worlds are interesting or fleshed out to the average player. (Yes I have no doubt someone will whip out a spread sheet of the royal family tree of Mushroom Kingdom as well as its territorial disputes through the ages) . The worlds were always just kind of there as a backdrop with continuity even shifting from game to game. Kingdom Hearts had the advantage of worlds that had well known histories and stories.
Smash Bros is more Nintendo's style. Fun characters and familiar backdrops to flex in.
I think they have enough personality to help write a new story from scratch but I'm not expecting anything complex. Even Super Smash Bros. Brawl had a story mode which many fans hoped to see in Ultimate.

Doom85

I think they have enough personality to help write a new story from scratch but I'm not expecting anything complex. Even Super Smash Bros. Brawl had a story mode which many fans hoped to see in Ultimate.

Not to mention the good Paper Mario games did a lot with expanding the Mario world. Seriously, it wouldn't be hard to make the worlds interesting to explore at all especially for some like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, etc.

Zannegan

Like a Kingdom Smash or Smash Warriors game? Absolutely.

I would absolutely play a Captain N game--I like the Warriors games with crazy cameos, and Kingdom Hearts was great before the story rocket-jumped over a shark in an anime schoolgirl outfit. I'd watch a Captain N movie too--Wreck it Ralph was fun. I'd probably even watch a budget CG tv revival--big fan of Reboot back in the day, and Trollhunters ain't awful. Jeeze, I'd probably read the book--thank you Ready Player 1.

What can I say? I think I'm just primed for a decent crossover. I don't think it's exclusive to Nintendo properties either. In fact, I know it isn't. Just picturing Master Chief fighting hearless knockoffs side-by-side with Banjo (interesting parallels there) makes my hand twitch in the direction of my wallet. Lol.

Not to mention the good Paper Mario games did a lot with expanding the Mario world. Seriously, it wouldn't be hard to make the worlds interesting to explore at all especially for some like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, etc.
It would also be interesting to see what renditions of Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, Pokemon end up being used for the worlds. It wouldn't be like the Disney worlds in Kingdom Hearts that have very limited source materials.

If AlphaDream weren't shuttered late last year, I would think the concept might have been a good fit for them albeit bigger in scope. In any case, this is like my dream Nintendo game...

Enjay

Banned
No, and everyone and their mother has had this idea already way back when kingdom hearts was announced.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
100% yes! That sounds like a really fun idea and the nostalgia trip alone would be worth the price of purchase!

Top Bottom