• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you recommend buying Star Ocean 4? (Purchase advice, $30)

Hello Gaf, I hope you can help me with this minor conundrum. I just now stopped by a local gaming store and among the recent additions they had Star Ocean 4 for $30($29.99) in stock. To be clear I had always wanted to play Star Ocean 4, but had never found a store that had the game in stock, so it had always eluded me. I did however, play Star Ocean 5 and that was...something.

But before I consider buying it, I wanted to ask Gaf if it's worth purchasing. I know reviews are not very fond of the game but I wanted to get opinions from gamers instead of reviewers since many times reviewers, as we all know, often get it wrong. It'll be some time before I am able to grab it, if I decide it's worth it, so I though this would be a helpful way to determine if I should purchase the game or stay far away from it. Sort of like a mini-review thread by gamers instead of paid gaming journalists.

No need to be nice about it, just tell me if it's bad or good, give me the pros and cons of the game and whether you think I should skip it. I did like Star Ocean 3, it's not amazing but I enjoyed it. I also played, and hated, Star Ocean 5. I don't know if any of that helps, but maybe it will give you a clue as to whether I would likely enjoy Star Ocean 4 or not.

Thanks for the answers in advance, I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on this game and whether or not it's worth purchasing. Especially for $30(360 version)

Cornbread78

Do you have an XB1/SeX/S or a PS4/5?

The 4k version is well worth it despite still employing the same shitty save spheres that can be very sparse in some areas

killatopak

Gold Member
If you’re the kinda person that likes doing achievements in game then this is one of the holy grails.

The amount of stuff to do is just absurd. Can easily get you 300-500 hours.

Battle system is great as always in a Tri Ace game. Story is alright.

graywolf323

Gold Member
Do you have an XB1/SeX/S or a PS4/5?

The 4k version is well worth it despite still employing the same shitty save spheres that can be very sparse in some areas
it's actually on sale on PSN right now for $10.49 too

I don't believe the 4K version ever released on XB1 though, only PS4 & PC

Shifty1897

$30 is high for this game. I paid $21(?) for the HD remaster on Steam and played through it just to say I could, since I was a huge star ocean fan.

In the grand scheme of things, it's better than 5 but worse than 3, 2, or 1. I'd only recommend playing it if you've already beaten those three and want more.

Graciaus

The game is average at best and designed in many ways to waste your time. If you can't get this for around $10 just skip it.

Combat is extremely repetitive, characters are trash, graphically characters are dolll like creepy and the story is nonexistent until it decides to try having one (which is not good). I played it to completion on the 360 and bought it again on PC and couldn't finish it a second time.

Replay 2 if you want a SO itch scratched.

SkylineRKR

This game is horrible, lol. Only the combat system is kind of fun. But those dungeons, the traversal, the dialogue, its awful.

Chukhopops

I would only recommend it if you are a huge JRPG player and have run out of better options. I dropped it after a couple hours and it is quite awful in my opinion.

Boss Mog

It's a decent game OP, the combat is fun. I'm guessing you saw it on 360 or PS3 because I don't think there's physical copies for the remaster on last gen.

Seems kinda steep. I paid that much for the PS3 version when it released over a decade ago.

The game itself is pretty decent and you can easily get 30 hours out of it, though, so it's not like it's a bad investment in that sense.

Top Bottom