• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you still buy the next generation consoles on day 1 if they release at $499?

As we all know the 2020 consoles will have a massive power leap from the ones that released in 2013. This new zen technology is still quite expensive so I don't believe many gamers have realized that $399 may no longer be possible.

Let's assume that on November the PS5 releases for $499, are you still going to purchase it day 1, or is that price beyond the minimum you will accept?

Many people aren't thinking about this but it's reasonable to expect that both consoles will be $499, and with the PS4 and PS4 Pro getting price cuts, new Epic games Store deals, and Stadia offering pay-as-you-go gaming, it's going to be really hard to justify paying $499 on day one for a PS5 X unless the games are absolutely superb.

Yes, I mean that should be the expectation now in general. The value of money is at an all time low, inflation at an all time high, very few things in the gaming industry ever seem to scale them properly and $500 to $600 is actually where we should be right now anyway. This isn't like the 3DO in 1994 where it was $699, that $699 is $1,215 with the value of our money now.

Optical games for example have been $60 for like two decades now when realistically they should at this point be closer to $90. We've been getting away with a lot financially.

I have no reason to since I own a PC now.

I have no reason to buy an Xbox Console since I can play Xbox games on PC.

If PlayStation comes to PC like Xbox, I have no reason to buy.

If PlayStation doesn't come to PC, I will eventually buy a PS5 since I want to continue playing their 1st Party Games. However MLB The Show is going Multiplatform in 2021, which is good news.

In order for me to buy a PS5 at launch, there would have to be a cant miss game (God Of War) at launch. Killzone Shadow Fall 2 ain't gonna do it for me.

LordOfChaos

499 is good. Would be 750 after CAD conversion and tax.

Much more than that though starts to cross some psychological barriers for a console, growing up anything north of a grand should have been a nice gaming PC. I know it's not exactly logical with the exchange rate, but I think I'd have a hard time getting a day one console anything nearer to a grand.

GreatnessRD

If PlayStation doesn't come to PC, I will eventually buy a PS5 since I want to continue playing their 1st Party Games. However MLB The Show is going Multiplatform in 2021, which is good news.

In order for me to buy a PS5 at launch, there would have to be a cant miss game (God Of War) at launch. Killzone Shadow Fall 2 ain't gonna do it for me.

In this same boat as well. But for me I'll also add it also depends on the level of backwards compatibility and if certain 1st party titles at launch.

Oddspeak

I've been on a launch PS4 since November 15, 2013; skipped the "mid-gen refresh" consoles. I'm getting SOMETHING day one so I can finally move on.
And I've expected a $500 price point for months now. I'd be more surprised if they were lower than that.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Playstation one ( Day 1 )
Playstation 2 ( Day 1 )
Sexy playstation 3 fat ( Day 1 )
Playstation 4 ( Day 1 )

I should treat them the same so yes I'm gonna buy PS5 day 1

ClearMind

Report me for console warring (Xbot, Xbro etc.)

Im mostly in the same boat. I buy my hardware based on the software with exclusives being the differentiation. No exclusives = no buy.

TheShocker

I own all three current consoles and will be getting the Xbox day one as it’s my primary. I’d pay $499 for it. With the PS5, it’s going to have to have something killer for an exclusive for me to buy it at $499 with both consoles landing so close together. And I’m not saying the PS5 won’t be worth that much, as I’m sure it will be, but financially dropping $1000 right out the gate might not be plausible for me if the sony exclusives don’t wow me right away.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
depends on backward compatibility
To expand on this - because it's my answer too:

If the PS5 or XSeX can play, at a minimum, the games I currently have to have my PS4 / Xbox One X hooked up for then I'm willing to pay a premium to run my existing games on better hardware.

If they launch like last gen did, without any backwards compatibility, then I'm definitely waiting for a pretty sizable discount to appear before I buy.

Bryank75

Banned
I'd pay anything within reason.... Of course it depends on features etc.

Anything up to around 1000 to 1200.

My condolences for your loss (Stadia)!

Last edited:

ranmafan

My day one launch PS4 with the camera in Japan cost me about $460 so yeah I could see myself getting a PS5 at launch around the $500/¥50000 yen price. Would rather it be closer to ¥40000 yen if possible though

GymWolf

i'm ready to pay 800-1000 dollars for a console with a 3080ti and an intel i9 10th gen, make it happen sony.

Romulus

I would actually question buying anything UNDER $499 in 2020. People are flat dumb thinking we'll get anything remotely future proof at $399.

Inflation is a thing, you get less in 2020 than in 2013 for the same price, and that's considering ps4 and Xbox one were already underpowered.

AGRacing

1 of them for sure.... probably PS5 unless this year is an “Xbox One Launch” level meltdown from them. I really want to see backward compatibility back to the PS1 and / or free graphics upgrade patches for PS4 exclusives launched in 2020 as I mentioned in another thread.

I guess I’ll be paying a minimum of $599 CDN.... and that’s being optimistic.

The price is fine. It's more about the games.

I bought a PS3 at launch because of MotorStorm. Also played Warhawk, then Ratchet & Clank Future, Uncharted, inFAMOUS. MGS4 etc. I don't recall anything in the first year for PS4 that had the same "next-gen, must have" appeal. Maybe Driveclub, I don't know.

Last edited:
Nope, software line-up is almost always too sparse the first couple of years of a system's launch, and with mid-gen hardware revisions being more common nowadays, I may as well ride out the previous gen as much as possible. Not a fan of paying more for lesser hardware and less games.

OrionNebula

I’m rarely an early gen customer anymore, as I prefer not have the very first ‘’batch’’ of new gen consoles (360 got me too nervous, I suppose), but with the mid-gen Pro/Deluxe/Revision/Upgrade/Whatever now a common thing, I see no real reason to wait anymore

Putting $3 aside per day until release now 😆

Ellery

Sadly I can't really tell a lot about the quality of a console on release day. Usually takes longer to find the "problems".

But being honest here I am probably going to buy the PS5 day 1 unless I rate it as massively overpriced for what we get and the games being extremely underwhelming that launch with it. And even still then, because it has BC with atleast PS4, I see myself buying it.

No idea where my personal limit is. I know that I would pay $499 for a PS5 at launch, but I would genuinely be disappointed if it was more than that. I know the PS3 was $599, but I think that is just too much for a gaming console (if we speak about the market in general and not enthusiast consumers on gaming forums).

It is all about the whole package. Many factors, but if I had to give an answers then I'd say Yes

Xbox Series X I can't really put into consideration because I have a strong gaming PC where I would play Microsoft games on.

Top Bottom