• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you still buy the next generation consoles on day 1 if they release at $499?

PocoJoe

Banned
Ps4 gamer bundle were 550€ on launch so yes.

499$ would turn into 500-550€. It's usually 10-30% more here. 500$ = 550€ = 600$

Spokker

I'm open to pre-ordering both the second I'm able to but I'm leaving open the possibility they are so similar to make it redundant. Otherwise I just go with the most powerful one.

All I really play is The Show these days anyway.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Yes I have paid more for a launch day console. These are going to be premium devices and be more expensive. With the rumored specs they be a bargain at 499.99.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
If it's a playstation 5 and what I was getting for my 500 dollars felt like a good value then yes I would.

I would never pay that much for any other system though. Playstation and pc hardware are all I am willing to invest a good chunk of money in for the system itself.

AGRacing

Gold Member
499 is nothing for the amount of hours worth of enjoyment. Ps5 day one. XBX later on down the line unless they announce a very good exclusive. Then both day one.

Good point that a lot of people don’t really work out. I’ve definitely spent more than 500 dollars watching garbage movies in theatres since 2013 - that is for SURE.

Why all these questions every week?
Everyone know that game forum posters would pay, but that doesn't mean there is enough to sustain a game platform. If it was true then Neo Geo would still be in business. It was one of the best hardware available of its day, and with literal arcade quality. But Neo Geo console died for a reason.

epicnemesis

I think I’m done with home consoles. I just don’t play them anymore. PC and Switch next gen I think.
It’s hard to justify taking up the tv room to play a game, and even then I would probably prefer playing on the PC. The exception being Sony exclusives, but even then, I don’t really play those either. If PSVR 2.0 is sick I could see myself picking it up.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm only buying an XsX so I would be very happy if it's only $499. This idea of $399 consoles is a pipe dream except maybe the weakass Lockhart if it's even real.

lingpanda

Would like to keep new console prices under $499 if possible. Add on games and accessories and one can easily spend close to $1000 on launch day.

Varteras

Gold Member
Whatchu buy one of those fancy Lian-Li cases with 60 fans? $400? Christ, lol

That bitch is expensive and for some reason the price keeps going up lol

Zannegan

If the games are there, sure, but any more than that and a PC starts looking like the better-value buy, or it would if I wasn't in Tokyo where PCs are way more expensive for no conceivable reason.

Last edited:
I never buy hardware day one, I wait at least a couple of months to see if there's any major hiccups. Besides, I'm brazilian and therefore I pretty much have to wait for the prices to not be assfuckingly insane, like 5 times what it costs. Despite being a crazy Nintendo fan, I only recently picked up the Switch because the prices for Nintendo stuff here are so prohibitive.

njean777

499 is what I expect honestly, and I will be getting only the Xbox at launch. I have too much invested in Xbox with my digital games and Gamepass that going Sony wouldn't make sense. I may pick up a PS5 when it gets much cheaper way later next gen.

DrAspirino

Banned
Wouldn't buy it for the single reason that here, in Chile, those 499 USD are normally translated to the equivalent of 999 USD (with the import taxes, the stores margin, etc), and no console is ever worth that much money.

If the PS5 seems good without silly gimmicks (which it probably won't have, at least not deal-breaking), has a sleek design and doesn't looks like some ugly fucking PC tower, and of course has launch games that I want to play - hell yeah.

I think that's the ceiling for me though, unless it's an insane monster of power. Then I could easily pay more, but that would probably mean it's big, loud and ugly.. So I'm hoping it's more well-balanced in terms of price/performance. And size.

Kagey K

Banned
Going to need to see the games first, but that’s probably the top end I’d go. That would be about 650 CAD and I’d probably be leaving with 2. (One for me and one for my gf.) Hopefully they offer some smoking trade in deals for last gen consoles (This would be the first time trading in one,) but since they are fully backwards compatible I wouldn’t feel like I was leaving anything behind.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m working overtime right now to help cover the new PlayStation. I’m going to make it my one present (fingers crossed) from family this year. That will cover the difference. I have to earn it for myself, which takes sacrifices. I just wish my kid was older. He can just slap the controller or something.

I love launch consoles. I had my PS2 the day it came out. I spent close to $800 USD when PS3 came out. I was watching Geoff Keighley in NYC on my phone before I drove out at 11 PM for a PS4.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
$500 is fine. But I'm going to wait till there's enough good games before taking the plunge.

Then again, it may be worth just trading in right away before the value of existing consoles drops like a rock.

GreatnessRD

That bitch is expensive and for some reason the price keeps going up lol
Tryna get like you!

Bkdk

Certainly not day 1 even for rtx 3080ti, will wait till one or two really good title to release first, then I’ll spend the money to upgrade to rtx3080ti, for consoles it will be a few years when there is some absolutely must play that isn’t on PC. Also consoles at launch usually have issues with no decent games for about a year.

Moses85

I will only buy, if it will have enough juice and for 399€ you can’t expect that.

If they will release such a weak machine I must wait for a pro version.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I'm expecting both to be $500. Xbox Series X is day one guaranteed while PlayStation 5 is 50/50 at this time. It simply depends on their launch lineup.

pr0cs

If there are games I want to play on it then absolutely.
Launch consoles can be a mixed bag tho, usually the exclusives are dull and cross Gen stuff just fine on the old hardware

Poordevil

Not certain I will be a day one adopter, I am pretty happy with the Pro. But if the PS5 comes in at under $499 I would be very suspicious, rather than glad it is cheap. What corners were cut? What compromises were made? That would be my reaction to a $399 PS5.

Top Bottom