• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you still buy the next generation consoles on day 1 if they release at $499?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I've started saving money last year, but €499 (which is ~ 42K RUB - including all taxes) is just way too high for a gaming console imho. I think I can manage to save ~42K RUB over the year to buy PS5 at launch but I hope they'll go for €399-449 instead.

Also, no full PS4 BC at launch = no buy for me.

Last edited:
I could, the difference between 400 and 500 quid isn't an issue.

But I already know there's going to be no reason to buy an XSX for at least a year after launch, and I might just get a decent gaming laptop anyway.

PS5 on the otherhand, it'll depend on whether there's either some amazing games at or near launch, or if it's fully backwards compatible, in which case I'm in day one.

I wouldn't even get the next generation consoles on day 1 if they released for free (unless they are going to cost more later on).

Honestly almost regret getting consoles last gen at all, because basically all games I was interested in except two are available for PC also now.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yup, 1 month down, $100 ACH'd right into my Next Gen fund. $50 for Sony, $50 for Microsoft.

Last edited:

LokusAbriss

Everything up to 499,00 is a no brainer. A device you use for 6-7 years and countless hours of entertainment. Bought the Xbox One day one and I used it till 2019. Upgraded to an X last year. In a time where you pay more than double for a smart phone, if you buy an apple or so, the price of the hardware is cheap.

Naibel

PS4 BC seems to be a given with PS5 so I won't mind buying at 499. Mainly because I will sell my PS4 Pro in the process, and at least save 100/150 €.

If the specs and the games are there, I may even preorder. I haven't preordered a machine since the Wii.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely, together with a LG CX this year. Not sure which console yet, will be decided based on their presentations and launch games. I find it weird that you would already know which console you want to buy if you don't know anything about any of them.

To expand on this - because it's my answer too:

If the PS5 or XSeX can play, at a minimum, the games I currently have to have my PS4 / Xbox One X hooked up for then I'm willing to pay a premium to run my existing games on better hardware.

If they launch like last gen did, without any backwards compatibility, then I'm definitely waiting for a pretty sizable discount to appear before I buy.
The xbox at least is confirmed to play everything the xbox one can, with maybe Kinect being left out.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
If you think you're getting a PS5 or the "non-budget Xbox" for $399 you need a hard reality check.

If the PS5 is truly fully backwards compatible back to PS1 I'd happily pay more. I have so many old digital games tied to my shitty old PS3 that I really want to move across.

Katsura

Absolutely not. Why would i pay full price to play the handful of games that will be available at launch? I'm going to wait for the inevitable redesign. By then, there should be enough exclusives to justify getting one and most of the launch titles will be cheaper

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Day 1? Not a chance. I wanna know what problems and issues the console may have before I buy it. Had I known about the Pro being the living-room equivalent of a booster rocket I would never have bought it. Piece of shit hardware! Good games, though. Unfortunately.

Naked Lunch

For really any income, in this day an age of 6 or 12 month financing on stuff like Best Buy or amazon credit cards for stuff over $300 - the cost is really irrelevant.

mcjmetroid

I will never buy a console day 1 after the Xbox 360 debacle and now after the Switch Joycon issue.

It's best to wait for potential issues to be ironed out.

MagnesG

Banned
WHAT GAMES

The price is not much of issue, I'm more concerned about whether I would really use it after the 2 weeks honeymoon period from getting these new toys.

It becomes a liability at some point where I had the impulse to carelessly invest in the system in order to satisfy my money's worth. It just leave a bad taste in my mouth at the end doing that.

Might as well wait for the improved system with a couple of must play titles. I'm a casual anyway these days.

Last edited:
Since im still refusing to upgrade my private PC rig I will probably buy both consoles at launch. You will get a decent performance for a decent price. You cant say this atm if you look at PC hardware. A rtx 2080super costs 700 € here. If any of those leaks we got have some truth in it getting a 10TF console for 499€ is just a steal.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Nope. When was the last time Sony or MS launched with a AAA rated system seller on day 1?

I ain't interested in Gran Turismo 15 or Call of Duty 43 with added raytracing. Certainly not to the tune of 1000 notes.

Last edited:

V2Tommy

No that's gonna be like $650 CAD, I'm not paying that much for a console.

But $60-90 to fill your gas tank in Canada is fine? I bet you don't think twice about getting gas, and that's something that never stops. $650 for many years of service is peanuts.

Source: It costs ~$95 to fill my car and it lasts ~380 km. I also own game systems.

lock2k

Banned
No, because where I'll live they'll cost the price of a car at launch.

If I lived somewhere that was priced in dollars and I had a wage in dollars, I would surely buy day one just because.

H4ze

Yes, because I actually work for my money and can afford to buy a 500 €/$ console every few years...
But the price should be justified ofc, if enoughe power, I would even pay more.

JCK75

My Xbox One and PS4 are for playing a few select exclusives and I really don't touch them much, I'm just more of a PC gamer as it fits my lifestyle much more and I like having my entire backlog in one place no matter how many generations pass by. The Xbox One S was my first purchase last gen as I wanted an 4K Bluray player and it was cheaper than any on the market. I got the PS4 Slim two years ago on black friday and replaced it with a pro this year on black friday (I don't DO black friday but I do browse amazon and got lucky both times). I'll give this gen a year or two for revisions to hit and prices to drop a bit and then I'll decide which to get based on what games I want to play. I'm leaning Xbox just because I'm digging the gamepass and I adore Forza but when it comes to single player action adventures which I tend to prefer Sony usually has the best so who knows.

Reactions: 888
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Only a fool buys day one systems these days.
It mostly takes 1 year to get a price reduction. Let's say they launch at $499, maybe on Black Friday 2021 they will be $399, or $449 with an extra controller and game. I definitely get $100 worth of gaming time out of the console in 1 year.

Why all these questions every week?
Everyone know that game forum posters would pay, but that doesn't mean there is enough to sustain a game platform. If it was true then Neo Geo would still be in business. It was one of the best hardware available of its day, and with literal arcade quality. But Neo Geo console died for a reason.
Yeah, it's crazy to think how much people are willing to pay for a phone (12 million iPhone 11 sold in like a month), yet a game console, that's supposed to last way more is a no go for more than $399. But it makes sense when you realize that out of 100 million PS4s Bloodborne has 3 million sales. I wonder if most people even use it outside of Netflix.
Obviously someone who plays videogames daily and has a decent income won't see a problem in paying $499 or $599, but it would be harder for a kid to convince his parents to get it for that price, or for someone who barely plays games to be willing to pay that much. I have a cousin who got an Xbone because it was cheaper and only played a couple of AC games and RDR2, you can't convince someone like him to spend $599.

Top Bottom