• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you still buy the next generation consoles on day 1 if they release at $499?

scalman

I buy console for games not for box. Even it will be 500 thats fine , but i buy it when and only when it will have new amazing games on it. To buy new console to play previous gen games on it? I dont have what to play now on those excistinf consoles so for sure i wont play same games again then. Just new games. At least one new racing, open world 3rd and 1st person game then im good.

I used to be an early (day-1) adopter, but I don't see any value in it really.

You get to be a test consumer for potential hardware problems. There is little to no library in most cases. And you get to pay a premium for those "benefits". Plus we all have ridiculous backlogs.

I'm happy to wait. Hardware price goes down. Hardware manufacture and issues are sorted. Software price drops. And I'm still happily playing tons of great games. Waiting is where it's at for me.

If they launched @ $99, I'd be tempted, but I'd probably not even bite then because of the above issues.

Fbh

Sure, but more than price it comes down to games, specs and features.

A $500 consoles that feels like a substantial leap from current gen, has backwards compatibility, some good looking exclusives announced for the first year and is capable of showing me stuff that really looks like it wouldn't be possible on my current console? Sure

$500 for a console with some expensive looking gimmick or a bad library that's mostly just the same stuff I'll be able to play on my current system but running at higher resolution/framerate? Nah

But $60-90 to fill your gas tank in Canada is fine? I bet you don't think twice about getting gas, and that's something that never stops. $650 for many years of service is peanuts.

Source: It costs ~$95 to fill my car and it lasts ~380 km. I also own game systems.
I need gas to get to my job to make money. I don't NEED a game console.

Sure.
I'll buy the next Xbox day one. (and later also PS5 as usual for the exclusives when it will be cheaper as I have done so far for the previous.)

DESTROYA

Oh yeah would absolutely pay $499 for Stadia because that’s the future of gaming........wait

$499 seems reasonable for a good next gen console.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It mostly takes 1 year to get a price reduction. Let's say they launch at $499, maybe on Black Friday 2021 they will be $399, or $449 with an extra controller and game. I definitely get $100 worth of gaming time out of the console in 1 year.
I'm not even talking about prices but how launch systems are faulty in some way or another. AKA free beta testing.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not even talking about prices but how launch systems are faulty in some way or another. AKA free beta testing.
Yes, that's definitely true. It took Microsoft 1 whole year to get to a decent OS version for the Xbox One. There were a lot of features missing unfortunately. The cool thing was that they had an update every month with a lot of cool new stuff, it just should've been part of the OS from the beginning.

geordiemp

I would pay 600 for a Ps5 pro, I hope they dont gimp specs if there is no pro.
Also hope I can connect a large drive to house the huge ps4 library and backlog and there is a way to swap between SSD and large library.
Also hope it has good cooling, my Pro is a hair dryer.

Last edited:
I have an X, I have gamepass. I'll wait until games are no longer forward compatible and pick up a PS5. I was going to buy one on launch day but...what's the point? I might as well wait 6 months until the issues are ironed out, games are released and the price comes down.

GymWolf

Why not? That’s not even 2 days’ pay for something that lasts 5+ years. Total bargain for an adult.
But $60-90 to fill your gas tank in Canada is fine? I bet you don't think twice about getting gas, and that's something that never stops. $650 for many years of service is peanuts.

Source: It costs ~$95 to fill my car and it lasts ~380 km. I also own game systems.
Why can't people being more like you?

zeorhymer

Probably going to be my first console that I don't buy day 1. I play on PC far more than console so I don't need to rush out and buy it.

magnumpy

$499 sounds ok for a next gen console. might not buy it day 1 just because I'd be waiting for the library to fill out a bit.

I play or use my xbox for entertainment pretty much every single day. Assuming it has a 5 year lifespan at minimum, that's only about $0.25 a day if its $499.

Is something that I will use heavily throughout the next 5+ years worth one game of Pac-Man a day at a shitty pizzeria?

Yes.

Genx3

Why all these questions every week?
Everyone know that game forum posters would pay, but that doesn't mean there is enough to sustain a game platform. If it was true then Neo Geo would still be in business. It was one of the best hardware available of its day, and with literal arcade quality. But Neo Geo console died for a reason.

Neo Geo lived a normal console cycle.
The reason Neo Geo didn't sell much were the price of the cartridges. $200 per game was just too much for the average Joe.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
$499 has never worked, you can sell consoles at that price but much greater consoles sell at lower prices.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
No I won't. And I'm not convinced the jump will be so big.

But I get new hardware for the games. So it all depends on the games.

dano1

A Sheep
I’ve bought every Playstation day 1.
No reason to stop now. I’m planning on $499 for a 1 TB drive. Will gladly pay more especially if there are 2 or 3 TB options!!

Gameboy415

I will most likely get a PS5 at launch (even if it's $500) but I'm definitely holding off on the next XBOX.
I got XB1 (and PS4) at launch but, aside from a handful of exclusives I really enjoyed (the Halo games, Forza Horizon, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and some Indie stuff), I have barely used my XBOX One over the last few years. I really appreciate the Backwards Compatibility feature but there just aren't enough exclusives I enjoy on the XBOX side to justify buying the next console at launch.

LOLCats

Banned
Backlog long enough to get me through a price drop probably, so nope. burned once at $500 (launch x1), never again.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I know that whatever the price it would be more expensive and tougher to use and not get nearly as nice looking games even if it was the same specs and not have a lot of the games I want if I made the same thing myself. So to me they'll always have a nice value and be worth it

For the first time ever, I'm not sure if I'm going to get any of them this coming generation. We'll see. That said, yes, I would pay $499 (or more) without hesitation. I have always been one to own all the consoles, and I buy them all at launch. I'm just beginning to think that my console days might be over and I'll only be PC plus whatever handheld options are available - I'd LOVE to see a VIta 2 (I know it isn't likely).

Last edited:

Inglebard

Neo Member
For me that's a hard no. It's not just what it costs compared to other things you HAVE to deal with in life. To me, its about what you're getting for you money, what kind of real value it offers. In today's world where consoles are basically just PCs in a box, this is more important than ever.

If most of the games are released at the same time on console and PC and I have a PC that's already more powerful than the new consoles are, why rush out and buy one? The answer will be what exclusive games are offered. On this front, I'm interested in the PS5, of course, but I don't think I would spend more than $300-$350 on it, so I'm definitely out at launch. I waited for PS4 until I could get a pro with extras at $350. My backlog is already huge, so I can wait.

In the end, I'll get a PS5 eventually, but at $500 it would be a hard pass.

Nope.

Besides. People are broke, we're staring down another global recession and these consoles will be playing dlc infested half-games. These megacorps can sweat for my precious pennies.

Neo Geo lived a normal console cycle.
The reason Neo Geo didn't sell much were the price of the cartridges. $200 per game was just too much for the average Joe.
But that's my point. That if you don't sell to the average Joe, you don't get to have a console.

sol_bad

How many cups of coffee can you get for $500usd. Just cut your caffeine addiction down.
I'm there day 1 if it's backwards compatible. HAH, I'm there day 1 no matter what.

Tarkus98

Absolutely.
I can however see the reasoning for the consoles library to fill out a bit before diving in and in all likelihood paying less for the console at that time as well.
For me personally though, I just can’t wait that long (never could) but it’s a smart option.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
I'd buy it for $499 if is indeed backwards compatible.

But for now, still not sold on it. Not even sure I'll be getting a next-gen console due to the direction Sony is heading with things like censorship. Besides, most of my console friends don't have much time for games anymore; I've been playing PC a lot more the past few years than any of the consoles I've got.

Justin9mm

I have no reason to since I own a PC now.

I have no reason to buy an Xbox Console since I can play Xbox games on PC.

If PlayStation comes to PC like Xbox, I have no reason to buy.

If PlayStation doesn't come to PC, I will eventually buy a PS5 since I want to continue playing their 1st Party Games. However MLB The Show is going Multiplatform in 2021, which is good news.

In order for me to buy a PS5 at launch, there would have to be a cant miss game (God Of War) at launch. Killzone Shadow Fall 2 ain't gonna do it for me.
How about God'aw'fall ?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The types of games I like aren't even being made anymore

I wouldn't buy these consoles if they came out at $199

longdi

Banned
If ps5 is 499 and deliver on >12tflops with RT. I will champion my friends to buy it day 1.

Some iphones are more expensive even on contract!

Top Bottom