• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you still buy the next generation consoles on day 1 if they release at $499?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Also I believe the Xbox Gamepass app is still in beta.

So they are working out some kinks. Seems to be taking a while though.

imperium

I have no issues with PS5 at $499. Xbox is wait snd see for me. I don’t see $100 over the life of a console being a big deal in a age of fairly expensive electronics.

Derktron

Banned
No, not because I can’t afford it because I always wait til they either do a price drop, release a better system with no manufacture issues. I never get day 1 systems.

memphisba

No. Will wait for mid life (3-5 years down the road) for the PS5.

Until then,
1) the first batch greatest hits should be releasing,
2) the dlc should be all included as part premium edition
3) updated versions of the ps5 should be released with better designs and heat handling
4) developers have better knowledge of sdk and better overall games developed and released
5) more games support for the ps5 features and controllers
6) updated controllers with better batteries and more colors.
7) bigger storages
8) newer tv technology supports down the road - HDR to be mainstream

no way, i am paying as early adopter to replay the early ps5 games especially remasters and all that such shit.
the only thing that i could be missing out probably FPS multi player populations. Other then that nothing much.

for the time being, finish the backlog of ps4 games.

Last edited:

LordPezix

I was sufficiently impressed with my OneX when I had it.

I am looking forward to purchasing one of the new consoles on release solely for the fact that outside of playing games they are the go to media center for my home theater.

Ma-Yuan

I bought a PS3 for 599€ back in to 2007 so I don't see the issue. I also paid 499€ for my Xbox 360 back in 2005 so where is the issue? I mean there is inflation.
All is actually much cheaper then back then . . . if you look at packaged game prices or peripherals for instance.

They will have similar prices like a PS1 which launched at 299$ back in 1995 that equates to 501.58$ so exactly the same price. The Saturn even launched at 399$ back in 1995.

anthraticus

Banned
Missing a lot of great game!
Between older consoles & PC, I have waaay more than enough on my plate.

There's still so much that I own and have been wanting to play.... now I'm gonna go spend top dollar for new hardware/software.....doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I'm more interested in anyone who would forgo next generation because of a $499 price tag.

If that's enough to keep you out you shouldn't be here. Either you don't like gaming all that much or your financial situation is bad enough that you should be doing something to get a better profession.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I plan on buying both this year when they release. If there is a new Switch I will buy that too. I love new gaming tech.

scydrex

I have pretty much backlog on ps4. I’ll wait for Ps5 pro

Me too and will have The Last of Us 2, Cyberpunk, Read Dead Redemption 2, Ghost of Tushima are going to my backlog. The AAA and exclusives releasing this year will play then on PS5 with the backwards compatibility.

Last edited:

Mega Man

After missing PS4, I'll be getting incredible value out of a backwards compatible PS5 at $499. This will be preordered and picked up day ONE.

With the XBsX however, I think I'd rather upgrade my 1070ti to a 2080 super or ti (or even 3080 when that releases) and be good for the generation. If I feel like kicking it on the couch with an Xbox/PC exclusive, my XB1X should suffice for a few years.

Kev Kev

im super poor (switched jobs and went back to school :messenger_weary: almost done though :messenger_grinning:), so no.

even if i was still making decent money like i used to, there'd have to be a game i really wanted to play that i cant already do on my xbox one, that was only for next gen consoles.

or if they advamced VR for next gen consoles, that' be a sell point for me too.

but i so poor rn

I’m not vary of price as much as of another post-release drought like in 2014. It felt bad having nothing important to play for year and a half (Bloodborne broke the spell). And so many good titles coming out this year, I think I’ll be fine if I wait a bit for next console purchase.

Last edited:

Garibaldi

Yeap. In fact I'm more likely to not buy it if it is super cheap (unless Sony take a huge loss on it). If it's cheap because it's specced cheap, I'll just build a new PC. Consoles don't need to be sub 400($/$/€) anymore. Not bothering with an xbox this time though. I don't really use my One anymore so that will have to be sufficient if I want to play a MS exclusive.

Last edited:

Esppiral

Even at 699€, I mean people waste 1200€ on an iPhone so why wouldn't I spend that amount of money on my main hobby?

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm more interested in anyone who would forgo next generation because of a $499 price tag.

If that's enough to keep you out you shouldn't be here. Either you don't like gaming all that much or your financial situation is bad enough that you should be doing something to get a better profession.

Weird take. Nobody needs a PS5, and it's not like there is a paucity of games already in existence.

Even at 699€, I mean people waste 1200€ on an iPhone so why wouldn't I spend that amount of money on my main hobby?

Nobody needs a new iPhone either though.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Weird take. Nobody needs a PS5, and it's not like there is a paucity of games already in existence.

Nobody needs a new iPhone either though.

No one is saying anyone NEEDS it to survive. But it is weird if you are interested in gaming enough to be visiting a forum about video games that you wouldn't spend $500 on the hardware that lasts a good 6 to 8 years.

diffusionx

Gold Member
No one is saying anyone NEEDS it to survive. But it is weird if you are interested in gaming enough to be visiting a forum about video games that you wouldn't spend $500 on the hardware that lasts a good 6 to 8 years.

Well, it's not a good 6 to 8 years anymore, it was 3 years when Sony started prodding people to upgrade to the Pro and 4 for MS with the One X.

I just don't see why someone can't be interested in gaming unless they want $500 on the next thing Sony or MS wants you to buy.

Dlacy13g

LIkely yes but not for both.... I think this last generation taught me I can happily game in one ecosystem and have more than enough to play. Also factoring in that streaming services will become better and better as we move in to the next gen and I see a path to play those exclusives i want to not in my ecosystem via Ad Hoc streaming service buy in for that game. Playstation has cleared this pathway for me now by offering up their 1st party games eventually. I don't need to play those games day 1 to enjoy. So no matter what ecosystem I choose really I can stream the others exclusives at some point and if and when Stadia gets their 1st party lined up they should also have their free 1080p version running. This really will be a generation where you can be fine with just one main ecosystem.

Only if they have a game I must play. If not then I will wait until they do release a game I must play.

I doubt I’ll ever buy Xbox if all Microsoft exclusives will be released on pc

Niked

Bring it!
The price point gets easier to bare the better line up Sony offers at launch and a amazing 2021 release plan

420bits

Yes, money is no issue for me and I would pay whatever the price is, IF I think is worth it.

For the same reason I wouldn't buy it at 99 dollars if I didn't think it was worth it regardless if it came with a 9080 titan Z, a 99999x cpu and all the storage in the world. I buy stuff to use it, not to just own it.

No. I would wait a year for the eventual price drop, and for some quality first-party game releases. Now if that doesn't happen, and it drags on to year 2, I might as well hold off another year for the PS5 Pro.

NeatoB1

I'm buying a PlayStation V all the way up to 599 I'm not getting anything Xbox related because I already have the Xbox x
And when they release the PlayStation 5 Pro I'm going to get that thing also

dano1

A Sheep
Between older consoles & PC, I have waaay more than enough on my plate.

There's still so much that I own and have been wanting to play.... now I'm gonna go spend top dollar for new hardware/software.....doesn't make any sense.

I’m probably just more of a hard core gamer than you. I need to play/see the latest and greatest!!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not sure, I think $399 is the sweet spot.
I agree, but if you want quality, got to pay up.

Civics and Corrolas are $20k. They sell a ton. Pay more and get a much better car. But in this analogy, not everyone can afford paying an extra $20k to get a BMW 3 series.

In console gaming, a measly $100 extra can get you a good spec bump for a piece of hardware that will last you 5 years. That's literally $20 per year..... or cutting back on one big pizza per year.

Yet somehow this extra $100 is like a roadblock from hell.

I want the premium console experience, so I'll definitely dive into Xbox Halo Infinite despite owning a PC. I'll be glad to pay if it's a great console.

NahaNago

The 499 price isn't an issue for me. It comes down to if they can convince me to buy one day one. I do think that 499 for a next gen console seems a bit cheap this time around.

Top Bottom