• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you support a "tipping" feature in games?

Would you tip if the feature was available?

• Yes!

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • No!

Votes: 79 55.2%
  • Do i look like a charity to you?

Votes: 44 30.8%
  • Only if the experience was exceptional

Votes: 10 7.0%

• Total voters

Gargus

Banned
So this is like my wife and I going out to eat and spending money, then on top of it I'm supposed to give them even more money after I already paid full price for something? Yeah, no thanks.

If I have to pay for something I'm not giving someone even more money for no fucking reason. I tip them when I bought whatever it was to begin with.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Like buying something at a convenience store and they have a little tip jar?

No thanks.

The funny thing is tipping is a very US/Canada kind of thing. Many countries out there don't do it, and if you tip it can be seen as an insult as you basically treat them like beggars with your spare change.

But in US/Canada every restaurant worker, taxi cab, menial store worker expects tips. And if you dont give them one (even for shit service) they give you the evil eye.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Hmmm I would be all for it, but I don't think this could compare to what companies get these days. I used to think most gamers were like me and didn't do micrtransaction unless it was a free to play game and only if it were cosmetic. However I've watched streams of my buddies opening Ultimate Team packs, COD drops and don't even get me started on Black Desert. Black Desert is up there with Happy Wars far as I'm concerned when looking at how genius the system is at making your spend money and being unapologetic about the solicitation.

kCFqTq0.png

Woo-Fu

Banned
There is a tipping feature, it is called pre-ordering their next game when they deliver above and beyond on the current game.

Are the whales that desperate to throw away their money that merely providing a button to do it is enough? Take that money and do something nice for your mother ffs instead of validating a pro-publisher/anti-consumer business model.

They should be tipping us every time they ship a multi-gigabyte patch in an attempt to fix/add stuff that should have worked fine at launch. I'd be able to buy one Bethesda game and then use the tips to buy every other game I played that year.

Last edited:

Meesh

So I thought the thread title was "tripping", and I was like "hell yaaaasssss" activate the trip out button mah bitches we goin to fuck some shit up at Hyrule castle!

Then I discovered it was "tipping"... like... we already pay more for shit that should be there day 1. Not to mention all the microtransactions (the devils work).... and ... now tipping?

You must be tripping if you think I'll be tipping.

Zenaku

I actually thought about this before. If I ever get around to developing a f2p game I'd probably consider a donate feature.

Essentially no paid dlcs, no microtransactions, no upfront costs, just a completely free game people can throw a little change at if they enjoy it; an in-game patreon.

TaySan

Banned
I actually thought about this before. If I ever get around to developing a f2p game I'd probably consider a donate feature.

Essentially no paid dlcs, no microtransactions, no upfront costs, just a completely free game people can throw a little change at if they enjoy it; an in-game patreon.
If you ever do make that game i wish you the best. :D

Zog

Banned
OP put the gun down. Shooting yourself in the foot is not honorable and you won’t get a Thank You email from developers.
Actually it’s funny to me that some people feel the need to replace microtransactions instead of just ignoring them. It really is a game of cross this line while some game consumers allow the game industry to lead them by the nose across each line.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Like instead of making microtransactions they would opt in a "tipping" feature where players can donate any amount of money to the developers or the publisher if you are feeling charitable. We kinda see this with streamers and don't see why not for games.

Indie games in particular would benefit in my mind with such a feature.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’d love more stores for swag. I’d buy FromSoftware swag. I’d pay the markup price no questions asked. Tipping though? It all depends because you have contractors and outsourced resources helping to create the game too. Can I PayPal one of their staff members because they make awesome games? If it’s directly going to the dev team can I get some awesome avatars or wallpapers?

I think tipping is a way to say “micro transactions suck, make a good expansion instead”. I sorta cringe thinking about buying sports game microtransactions. You might as well have 5-6 different versions of the game.

Madden/FIFA
1/5 of the game unlocked; $65 USD
1/2 of the game unlocked: $149.99 USD
3/4 of the game unlocked: $299.99 USD
Entire game unlocked: $599.99 USD (what’s sad is that those prices are probably lower than the actual amount)

Wait a whole 11 months and restart the cycle all over again. Screw tipping that kind of crap.

Zog

Banned
I think tipping is a way to say “micro transactions suck, make a good expansion instead”

No it's more like saying 'I like micro transactions but sometimes I just want to give away money with NOTHING in return'. In other words, some game consumers want to burn their money a little hotter than they currently are with micro transactions.

No. And I don't know why we're coming up with ways to give companies more money. $60 is plenty enough already as well as the $100+ collector's editions. This isn't a restaurant, someone's stream, or Patreon. Let's keep it simple.

Last edited:

Chromata

Hard no. Streamers get tips because they release their content for free and some are good enough to do it full time.

Games here cost $80 and gaming companies are reporting enormous profit margins. Fifa doesn't have loot boxes because they're struggling to break even. Fifa has loot boxes because EA is primarily targeting revenue growth. Obviously that's what every business wants, but there are different ways to accomplish that.

Just look at Blizzard, the former devs spoke about how different the company operated during its earlier days. Now they're huge and need to appease shareholders. Different scale, different strategy.

I also don't see why indie games need to have tipping if they're not free. There is no shortage of hit indie games out there right now.

Adding tips is just sending the wrong message and a terrible precedent. When did buying someone's game stop being good enough?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
No it's more like saying 'I like micro transactions but sometimes I just want to give away money with NOTHING in return'. In other words, some game consumers want to burn their money a little hotter than they currently are with micro transactions.
:unsure:Maybe we’d be better off setting our money on fire.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
There has been some "support the dev" dlc (which does nothing or something or is music or), mostly from indies, some times free games. It's a nice way for them to make the process easy rather than send you to their paypal/patreon/whatever. If every game had it, it would lose its appeal FAST.

Last edited:

Greedings

Pretty ridiculous idea. No. I hate tipping at restaurants, I don’t want another weird social convention. I don’t buy things to “support” people. I buy them because I want the product. It’s such a weird concept that you would make a purchase to support someone. I don’t even think I fully understand what that means.

If devs want more money, they need to increase the price of their game. The market will decide if £100 for a game is sustainable. I remember paying that for some N64 games. I wasn’t happy about it but I still got them

lmfao no, not unless one of the developers personally swings by the crib, installs the game on my console for me, and *serves* me my controller on a silver platter.

oh, and during gameplay, every 20 minutes or so they have to refresh my beverage.

Sorne

All of you guys sound like you're angry because you're forced to tip the developers?
But if it's just an option, what's the problem?

If I thought the game was exceptional and I liked the developers then yea, I would be up for the tipping feature to support their future projects. Otherwise, I would just ignore it.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member

They are still considered indie right? :messenger_grimmacing_

Only big American cities can develop AAA. The rest of the world is Indie. Poland can only achieve AA.

On topic, it could be a good idea, but I already consider DLC as a kind of tipping. Like, with Psyonix, I get the season passes because I love the game and want to see it do well.

Anyway, the money would never get into the pocket of the lowly devs, it would just stay in the publisher's hands. And even if it did, I don't want to be funding pink hair dye, furry outfits, soy lattes, and Stalin posters.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
The problem with the idea of tipping is that even if it did replace micro transactions at first, eventually they would add it back in and still expect a tip.

Top Bottom