• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you walk the Chang Kong Cliff Road?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/29/wish-...rail-on-the-edge-of-huashan-mountain-3818001/
All things considered, these tourists look happy enough even though they are navigating one of the most dangerous hiking trails in the world.

They are walking along the treacherous Chang Kong Cliff Road on the edge of China’s Huashan mountain.

Made of wooden boards just wide enough for a footstep, the ‘path’ is crudely nailed together and some sections are in desperate need of repair. Conditions are even worse during the winter months, when hiking is still permitted.

With only a harness around their shoulders, tourists dressed casually in jeans and trainers cling to safety chains as they creep along the rock face in Shaanxi province. Despite the dangers, the route is popular with tourists and monks alike as it is seen as a holy place – and besides, it has views to die for.

The road is believed to have been built more than 700 years ago by hermits seeking ‘immortals’ they thought were living high up in the mountains.

Huashan has a variety of temples on its slopes but it also has its fair share of hawker stalls to revive the spirits of the odd shell-shocked hiker.

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9UZbnNjJbY

iboebq5urIiMyw.jpg

ibcXQw5I32tgPI.jpg

imD7XzvbOAgVQ.jpg

iuvJlPyGhQ4FJ.jpg

ibaEnJqK3cPtei.jpg

iXRxn3047It8l.jpg

iUVZftZDgAEeh.jpg

iG8FS13OtBQf5.jpg

UFRA

Considering I couldn't climb a ladder onto the roof of a 20ft tall building a few days ago, I'd say no.

tino

Banned
I have been to HuaShan (it's just "Hua Mountain"), didn't take that road because I was in a tour group.

Without the tour group I probably would have taken it. You get the safety harness anyway.

Ra\/en

Yes.

I used to work at pretty great heights (like sometimes 200+ feet on a ladder with lanyard), so I'm used to the fear. That being said, I would still be nervous. I think it would be kinda fun though.

tino

Banned
Photos I took in Hua Mountain

The main route is not that bad, you can walk in one day. It's one of the five famous mountains. I would say its worth one visit but not repeat visit like the Yellow Mountain. Can't comment on the Chang Kong Cliff.

That looks fucken EPIC! But being that I'm deathly afraid of heights, I might not. On the other hand, you ain't livin' if you ain't takin' risks, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom