• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you want Link to be a girl in a future Zelda game?

Would you want Link to be a girl in a future Zelda game?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I can't make a poll, but there's a GAFer who wants a poll about this, so here's the question, posed to all on GAF, for what it counts. Feel free to add your 2 cents to your answer, and even if you're on the fence, try to indicate which way you'd go if you absolutely had to pick.

For GAF reference

Yeah

The hero of x is a reincarnation of the embodiment of courage, there's literally no reason it cannot be a girl.

Link/Prince Zelda would be awesome.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Sure. Does it matter? Not in a "Why would people want that?" kind of way. But like... would that affect Zelda so fundamentally that there's an argument against a change like that?

I don't see it. Link is the vaguest portrayal of a personality you can have. If the lore lets you lean into some reincarnation story, then why not? Why not allow the option?

Nyoro SF

For reference, I have beaten every Zelda game.... (except for those weird satellite-only Zeldas or some shiz and the CDi games) and I think it would be perfectly fine.

Edzi

No. This weird desire to gender swap established characters needs to go away. There are plenty of ways to empower women without having to heavily alter Link, like making new female characters or giving Zelda a more active role.

BiggNife

I don't see why not. It's not like Link's gender is a huge aspect of his character.

Alternatively a Zelda game with Zelda as the actual protagonist would be fine too.

Also to people just posting "No" I'm legitimately curious why you feel that way.

Yes, Link isn't a set character so I don't get why people get upset at the thought, though I understand why people want a playable Zelda instead.

Just please, no Linkle.

georly

I did until we started getting gaf threads about it on a weekly or monthly basis since E3 2014. Or at least brought up in every single zelda thread, basically :/

This.

Would also be nice if the gender you chose also affected Zelda.

So pick a female link = save a prince Zelda.

Or not have the person you're rescuing be have their gender/sex determined by your own, especially if there is no romantic subplot.

Kazerei

Banned
Sure. I don't like Linkle though. Link already looks androgynous enough that they don't really have to change his design, just call him a girl.

LegendX48

I think the best possible thing to have would be to give the player the option of male/female Link before starting. It'd be a nice way to mix up more playthroughs. As others have said though, there is zero reason the hero could not be reincarnated as a woman.

Zelda though, she shouldn't change.

Im with the Zelda being the main crew

That said they could always have you choose male or female link

It would literally not affect any of the Zelda games

Think this has been asked about a zillion times on here but Link's gender has never truly played any crucial role in the franchise, aside from a few jokes thrown his way about Ruto wanting to marry him.

Link's gender should be an option when you're entering your player name.

maxcriden

Of course. There is no good reason to change past games and there is no good reason future incarnations of link have to be male.

-MD-

I choose female characters often when given the choice but Link to me is a boy so no, I probably wouldn't.

Female and/or nonbinary Link please and thanks. No reason not to, would be an easy way to spice LoZ up just a tad and give the games a little more variety in their protagonist, not to mention representation in video gaming.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I really hope they add a poll because it would be interesting to see the results.
For me, no, unless there is a legit plot reason. Zelda is 30 years old and Link has been male in all the games. Changing it purely because of representation makes as much sense as demanding Nintendo make Super Maria Sisters where the goal is to rescue Prince Mango.

I wouldn't be opposed to a Zelda game starring someone other than Link - Linkle, for example.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Yes, I'd love the option to play as a female Link. Most Links are different people completely, who's to say the next one isn't a woman.

Amory

I mean, Link is kind of an established male character at this point.

No problem with a new main character being introduced, and it'd be cool if it was a female.

Ferrio

Banned
Yes, only because it's one of the few series you could do it and it totally makes sense. It'd be a real shame if they slept on that opportunity.

Top Bottom