• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WoW Beta Testers List

Doth Togo

This patch fucking sucks! They nerfed so much good stuff on there.

1. They killed INVISIBLE.

2. Mage armor isn't as effective as it was before.

3. Auction houses are now in IronForge, Shake ya Booty Bay and some other wtf town. While I understand that they did this to prevent lag in Stormwind, it's a ghey idea.

They really fucked this up. No good, I say. No good.

firex

Mage frost armor was TOO effective, especially with the bug abuse 99% of mage players used (which was thankfully fixed). Invisibility was abused like hell, too. Mages could use that spell to skip tons of encounters and solo instance bosses. They nerfed that class, but it'll STILL probably be one of the most powerful classes in the game. They also said the removal of invisibility is temporary, until they can rebalance it.

They also massively buffed items... my shaman has triple the armor he had before, and literally up to +50 in some stats, with just level 34 equipment.

All in all this patch kicks ass so far and I only got to try it out for maybe 10 minutes before the server crashed (already, haha, though it always does this after a patch).

akascream

Banned
It will be interesting to see how rogue and mage damage compares now that rogue talents are in and now that you can't eat in battle. I guess there are still potions.

Doth Togo

This patch is taking forever to download. 8 hours on a 3.0mbps cable modem? Totally stupid.

And as for justifying the patch, it's still lame. Everybody hates the mage because they're still better than everyone else.

akascream said:
It will be interesting to see how rogue and mage damage compares now that rogue talents are in and now that you can't eat in battle. I guess there are still potions.

Between Potion's and swiftthistle tea I should be ok.

firex

I'd think being "better than everybody else" is pretty much why the class got nerfed. The invisible removal is just temporary though.

And rogues are overpowered as hell. Just read some of the posts on the WOW rogue forum... they are getting critical hits with some finishers with damage as high as what mages were getting when they first got their talents with that pyroblast spell.

I don't mind that mages got nerfed. They probably got overnerfed, but not too hard. They were, by far, too versatile and too powerful. Now they'll just be powerful. Eventually the invisibility spells should be put back in and they should rock, but won't allow for the extremely lame ganking that mages could (and did) abuse in PVP.

Priest talents are pretty good, but I got the ultimate shadow talent and it sucks... I am probably going to unlearn those talents and retrain without it and see if I like it more.

Anyone read Gabe's warlock ideas? I think it is spot on.

I like to play World of Warcraft. When I play this sort of game I tend to get attached to my character and I don’t really feel comfortable making new ones. I’m not sure exactly what it is, but once I’ve got my guy I stick with him no matter what. As each new patch comes out Blizzard opens up new classes for play. Once I started my Warlock though I never really saw any reason to switch. I guess that makes me a shitty beta tester, but I don’t really care. Besides, there are so many fucking hunters in the game right now it’s ridiculous. I was in Westfall yesterday and it was like Noah’s fucking ark.

Since I’ve really only ever played a Warlock I tend to think about them a lot. As of right now Blizzard does not seem to have a real clear idea of what the Warlock should be. They’re really just shitty mages with pets. There is really no reason to invite a Warlock into your party and so I tend to have a hard time finding groups. People are always asking for a healer or a tank or maybe a rogue. If someone is asking for a warock it’s usually just for health stones or a free teleport. I still love my Warlock though and I’ve spent a good deal of time imagining the sorts of things I’d like for him to be able to do. I figured it wouldn’t hurt anything if I just went ahead and posted my Warlock ideas here. Maybe Blizzard will read them, maybe they won’t. At least I’ll have shared them with someone other than Tycho who I don’t think really gives a shit, but is very polite when I start talking about soul shards.

Gabe’s Crazy Warlcok Ideas!

I don’t know how to write this out in a way that makes sense, so I’m just going to spit out all my ideas in no particular order.

The way I see it, the entire warlock class should be based on the concept of trades. The idea here is that these are magic users who have decided to consort with demons in order to become more powerful. That’s awesome and all, but as of right now the demons aren’t getting anything out of this deal. Everything I know about beings from hell tells me they don’t give up anything unless they get something in return. Maybe it’s money, maybe it’s some other kind of sacrifice.

I think the warlock should have a few incredibly powerful spells that have equally high risks involved. Maybe he could deal a ton of damage to a wide area but then he’d be useless for five or six seconds. In a party situation this might be cool. Once he’s done doing his thing the rest of the party could keep an eye on him until he’s conscious again. He might even become possessed for a short period of time. While possessed, his mana would be draining away but he might have access to a new set of attacks or spells. A warlock who is possessed might be capable of dealing insane amounts of melee damage but he might have a hard time staying on target. This goes back to the trade off concept. Maybe you have a warlock in your party beating the fuck out of some monster, then all of a sudden he comes at you.

The talent system for warlocks has not been implemented yet. I’d like to see an ability tree for them that actually had multiple demons on it, and advancing through the tree equaled gaining more and more favor with these individual demons. Some kind of fire demon for instance might allow you immolation at the beginning but as you prove yourself through class specific quests he might open up new more powerful fire spells for you. Demons always want humans to go and do shit for them. I’d like to see more of this sort of thing for warlocks.

What if while in a group you could trade one of the players in your party for a demon? Say you were about to go into a crazy fight, maybe the warlock could make a deal and trade one of his companions for a powerful demon. The player getting traded might slip into the spirit world as long as the demon was there. That’s the kind of evil shit I want my warlock to do. They are essentially the middlemen between hell and earth. The sorts of deals they are able broker between those two parties seems really interesting to me.

Warlocks should be able to bring someone back from the dead, but it should work a bit differently. When dead, if a warlock is near and he offers to revive you a contract should appear on your screen. He might require money or a soul shard in exchange for bringing you back. If you click okay you essentially sign the contract and your back in business.

Soul shards are cool but I should be able to do more with them. It would be awesome if warlocks could use soul shards in their crafting of items and clothing. Armor made from soul shards for example might protect you against certain spells or even other warlocks.

The role of the warlock in a party isn’t really clear yet. Like I said there is no reason as of right now to invite one to join you. He ends up just taking away XP and not offering anything back to the group. I’d like to see the concept of “trade offs” apply to a warlock’s role in a group as well. They should be able to do some wild shit for a party but you never know if something they try might backfire. It should be a sort of risk vs. reward type of deal. A warlock might be able to deal a thousand points of damage in one explosion of power but to gain that ability he might need an offering for his demon master from everyone in the party. Does he want health, mana, money, or maybe even someone’s life?

I’d say that right now warlocks are the kings of soloing in the game. With my pets I can go out and fuck up just about anything I want without to much trouble. I really don’t need to group if I don’t want to. To me that fits with the class, they are loners. When playing a warlock you often find your trainers tucked away in dark basements. These are evil fucking people who hang out with demons all day. Taking one into your party should be a gamble. There needs to be a high enough possible payoff that people will want to do it, but they should never quite know what they are going to get.

-Gabe out

Doth Togo

Best MMORPG ever.

Bow down, ladies.

bow-down.gif

salat2.JPG

bow_down.gif

Doth Togo

Some tornado knocked out WoW's US servers.

"Emergency Update: Extended Server Downtime - Indoflaven on 09/17/04
Due to a recent tornado-related emergency, our US servers for the World of Warcraft beta test have been taken offline and will remain offline through the night and into Saturday. Please check back here tomorrow afternoon for a status update. Thanks for your patience and understanding; we are working to restore service as soon as possible."

I finally got tired of being left out of this beta. I decided to create a weather-controlling device, and re-routed a local tornado square on top of Blizzard's Server HQ's. Looks like it worked. I might license this technology out the highest bidding government. Rock. Now i can buy Blizzard.

How's it feel now? Beta b!tches!

Doth Togo said:
Some tornado knocked out WoW's US servers.

"Emergency Update: Extended Server Downtime - Indoflaven on 09/17/04
Due to a recent tornado-related emergency, our US servers for the World of Warcraft beta test have been taken offline and will remain offline through the night and into Saturday. Please check back here tomorrow afternoon for a status update. Thanks for your patience and understanding; we are working to restore service as soon as possible."

Servers are still down =/

My plans for tonight fell through, and I'm very bored. I hope they are up soon.

Tyren said:
At 6:19pm EDT yesterday, the datacenter complex in Virginia that is being used to host the World of Warcraft beta test was hit and damaged by a tornado. Because water was leaking into the building in which our servers were located, we shut down the servers as a precautionary measure and flew out a team of our network engineers to the location to survey the area and provide a preliminary assessment.

This morning, we have confirmed that some hardware has taken on water, so we will need to conduct a careful inspection for damage before we can restore power to the servers. This inspection will take 48 hours or longer to complete, so we encourage you to enjoy the rest of your weekend with other activities, as the World of Warcraft beta test will remain offline for at least that long. We will post another update tomorrow afternoon, and we appreciate your continued patience and support.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Btw, how do I post on the beta forums? When I log into the beta site I am tagged as an anonymous user, and it won't let me post. If I click change character I get a blank list...

ManaByte

Gold Member
WoW isn't alone in this. The same datacenter houses the East Coast servers for Star Wars Galaxies, EQOA, City of Heroes, etc.

SOE posted pictures of what the datacenter looks like after the tornado:
datacenter1.jpg
datacenter2.jpg

Doth Togo

Emergency Update: Servers Drying Out - Block on 09/19/04
Enough electrical power is now available at the Virginia datacenter for us to analyze the extent of any damage that might have occurred as a result of the direct tornado hit Friday night, but the hardware is not yet dry enough to be powered up. The good news is that there's a possibility that we will be able to begin carefully powering up and testing the hardware late this evening. Our on-site team of network engineers is working around the clock on the situation, and we will be posting another update here for everyone tomorrow afternoon. The pictures linked to below give a general impression of the damage sustained by the building housing our servers.

The US World of Warcraft beta test will remain offline for the remainder of Sunday and into Monday, and possibly longer. As soon as we have an estimate on when we will be able to restore service, we'll share that information here. Our thanks go out again for your continued patience and support.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
omgwtf, i somehow got into the beta. I joined the waiting list pretty late in the game too. Wow. Didn't think i'd see this game till release after the stress test ended. See you all in there soon..

Malakhov

Banned
Got into the beta because of Redwarf, wich I have to thank again.

Made level 8 as a Human Warrior on the beta server 2 I think. Anyways, the game is awesome so far. I like how you don't even notice yourself leveling up because you're so engrossed in the quests etc...

I don't know if it's just me but is anyone else having problems with menus? It's a pain in the ass, they're not working very well.

IJoel

Anyone still playing it?

I got in the beta last night and only had a chance to create a character and just start it. I created him in the PvP server.

Doro: Level 2 Shaman Tauren

Top Bottom