• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow Lair frame rate is all over the place

sounds like you forgot to switch that "secret power" lever on the back of your console to the "super secret omgz they'll never know" position.

Madman

sebthelobster said:
i expect lair to be gone completely from the list war by the time of tomorrow.

and I expect heavenly sword to follow suit.
sebthelobster said:
notice how LAIR is suddenly gone from the listing war all of sudden these days :lol

i expect heavenly sword to quickly follow
Yeah, we get it.

pswii60

dark10x said:
How is the music and presentation then? Somewhat interesting at least?

If you ignore the framerate difficulties (believe me, I know how hard that can be), does the game itself seem to be any good?

Yeah, TTP would you agreed with the EGM review or the imaginary Edge review?

Nolan.

sebthelobster said:

Well even if it was rubbish, rubbish games has it's fans. I know people who still swear by N3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
sebthelobster said:

People have played HS and enjoyed it, however (the demo). I don't believe it will suffer the same fate.

JudgeN

I"m going out on a limp here but if the frame rate is corrected in , then the game will be a good right?

EGM was wrong confirmed :lol

pswii60

sebthelobster said:

Sony weren't pushing Lair at all at E3, and as a result I assumed the game had taken a turn for the worse and I might be right. But Heavenly Sword is getting pushed BIG time by Sony. They have a lot of faith in that game, and I have no doubt that it'll do well, both critically and commercially.

sebthelobster said:

Have you even played Heavenly Sword? Would you say the same for TH and LO since they had poor showings? All these games have some ambition and have a good chance of being good I would say. HS has had consistantly good previews.

Anyway back to Lair, hrm....I was actually anticipating this game, but if its a dud, then so be it

Haunted

Kabuki Waq said:
if the Frame rate proves to be all over the place as reported by TTP can we accuse Play of writing what their readers want to hear/read instead of the truth?
fixed and yes. I'm paging Anihawk for support, just in case Dave Halverson comes in here to refute.

VonGak!

Banned
Fafalada said:
To be fair, with all the stuff going on in this game I'd say likelihood of being fill limited are pretty low anyway. That said I'd still like some confirmation of no downscaling, I don't recall any interviews/PR mentioning it.

I'm googling like my life depends on it :D Not for a confirmation for no downscaling but for Lair having been shown to the press in 720p before 1080p.

Quick question, can the infamous RSX scaler do a straight downscale of 1080p to 720p? I mean doesn't it "only" do horizontal scaling.

steve

Banned
PleoMax said:
Don't stress about it. I heard they are only using like 30 or 40% of the Ps3 power, so it should use the rest in the final game and the FPS should sky rocket.
Hey Bob, if we knew we were only using 30% of the hardware's POWAH, why didn't we jack it up a bit and take full advantage of it?

Meh... 30% is good enough, let's go get some burgers.

God I hate posts that make it seem like a piece of hardware has a specific set limit, and there's a bar graph that rises to show you when you've "maxed" it out. /rolleyes

ascii42 said:
All PS3 games are rendered at 720p by default, if you run on a SDTV, I'm pretty sure it downscales the 720p signal.
The only time it won't render at 720p is when the game supports 1080p and you have a 1080p TV.

Wrong & wrong.

TTP. Check and verify with your TV's info button on what resolution the PS3 is sending to your TV. Up to this point every 1080p-native game has run in 1080i on TVs like yours.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dark10x said:
How is the music and presentation then? Somewhat interesting at least?

Top notch.

If you ignore the framerate difficulties (believe me, I know how hard that can be), does the game itself seem to be any good?

It's decent. Albeit frequently interrupted, missions are very hectic and drag you about between air and ground attacks. I like this. What I dont like is not actually understanding what's going on around me. For example. The mantas level. There are like 6 of those huge beasts slowly flying around. Dragons are attacking the mantas. They are coming from everywhere. You go defend a manta of your choice. Burn some dragons. Cut scene of a manta exploding somewhere. You go "uh?" for a sec but you are back in the game. Mess around you. "They are attacking us!". You go "Where?" "Who?" "How?". But you keep going and attack a random dragons squadron approaching a manta. You kill all of them. Manta is safe. Cut scene of a manta exploding somewhere. You go "uh?" for a sec but you are back in the game. Leading towarda another manta. You... Cut scene of a manta exploding somewhere. You go "uh? WTF?" for a sec but you are back in the game. So now you go searching for the next... Cut scene of a manta exploding somewhere. You go "uh? WTF? Seriously now" for a sec but you are back in the game. So, the mantas. Right. Let's see... Cut scene of a manta exploding somewhere. You go "uh? WTF? Seriously now what did I do wrong?" for a sec and then it's game over.

It can basically get very confusing a times. A kind of I-NEED-A-****ING-MAP degree of confusion if u get what I mean. You just have this arrow pointing you towards your objective, but in more open missions like the one I described you gotta look around yourself and decide where to go. But then again, this confusion is mostly due to the lack of visual clarity.

jetjevons said:
I think it's a bit early to declare either game D.O.A.

oh god no, both games will go on to sell tons.

we are dealing with people who spent 600 dollars for a poorly launched console, they cannot possibly bend over is a more comprimising position.

look at the lair thread and look at how many people stating it publicly that they will buy the game just for the fact of it being a ps3 exclusive, you know this game will sell on mindless, brainless, bending-over-for-sony-and-telling-myself-that-i-like-it fanboyism alone.

dont you worry about sales now, thats nintendo fan's job

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Valkyr Junkie said:
Wrong & wrong.

TTP. Check and verify with your TV's info button on what resolution the PS3 is sending to your TV. Up to this point every 1080p-native game has run in 1080i on TVs like yours.

720p

My PS3 is set NOT to output 1080i btw. Only 720p is checked.

watership

pswii60 said:
Yeah, TTP would you agreed with the EGM review or the imaginary Edge review?

So the 9 out of EDGE hasn't been confirmed? It's so hard to tell on various boards with all the newspeak going around.

"We've always been at war with Eastasia."

haunts

Bacon of Hope
TTP, thanks for the impressions.

So funny to see people practically praying that this game turns out good and/or they make improvements to the game before it ships. :lol

Suck it up guys, its a game about flying around on a dragon. What did you expect? Were any of you around for the 1 batch of PS2 games? haha.

pswii60

I can't wait until we get some more reviews of this to shut everyone up.

TTP, give us a score when you've finished it.

Borys said:
NotASinglePersonWillBuyAPS3ForLairWollan.gif

LOL

Lair's taken a beating lately.....I think it will end up being a solid game, but I think that just too much pressure was built up to be a system seller type game for them to handle.

Dante

haunts said:

So funny to see people practically praying that this game turns out good and/or they make improvements to the game before it ships. :lol

Suck it up guys, its a game about flying around on a dragon. What did you expect? Were any of you around for the 1 batch of PS2 games? haha.

Hoping a dragon game with great visuals turns out good?

Crazy bunch these people are.

VonGak!

Banned
JudgeN said:
I"m going out on a limp here but if the frame rate is corrected in , then the game will be a good right?

EGM was wrong confirmed :lol

TTP could also just be more agile than the average American game reporter.
He has been doped by Michele Ferrari I tell you

Bebpo

Banned
sebthelobster said:

we are dealing with people who spent 600 dollars for a poorly launched console, they cannot possibly bend over is a more comprimising position.

look at the lair thread and look at how many people stating it publicly that they will buy the game just for the fact of it being a ps3 exclusive, you know this game will sell on mindless, brainless, bending-over-for-sony-and-telling-myself-that-i-like-it fanboyism alone.

@_@

Lair sucking has nothing to do with the issue of PS3 being a good system.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
pswii60 said:
I can't wait until we get some more reviews of this to shut everyone up.

TTP, give us a score when you've finished it.

Will do... later ;)

Games doesnt seem very hard. When you die you dont start from the beginning so it's all good. You just keep going.

Tiktaalik

Ouch sounds pretty crappy. One thing to consider though for folks who are hoping Liar will turn out better than the current crop of impressions we've been hearing is that framerate is one of the very last things to be optimized.

Then again if this is review code isn't it the same as the retail copy pretty much?

PolyGone

Banned
TTP said:
For example. The mantas level. There are like 6 of those huge beasts slowly flying around. Dragons are attacking the mantas. They are coming from everywhere. You go defend a manta of your choice. Burn some dragons. Cut scene of a manta exploding somewhere. You go "uh?" for a sec but you are back in the game. Mess around you. "They are attacking us!". You go "Where?" "Who?" "How?". But you keep going and attack a random dragons squadron approaching a manta. You kill all of them. Manta is safe. Cut scene of a manta exploding somewhere. You go "uh?" for a sec but you are back in the game. Leading towarda another manta. You... Cut scene of a manta exploding somewhere. You go "uh? WTF?" for a sec but you are back in the game. So now you go searching for the next... Cut scene of a manta exploding somewhere. You go "uh? WTF? Seriously now" for a sec but you are back in the game. So, the mantas. Right. Let's see... Cut scene of a manta exploding somewhere. You go "uh? WTF? Seriously now what did I do wrong?" for a sec and then it's game over.

man...

that sounds almost identical to the "save the freighters" levels in RS, just with dragons instead of tie fighters and mantas instead of rebel ships... :/

Barnolde

Banned
Bebpo said:
@_@

Lair sucking has nothing to do with the issue of PS3 being a good system.

I dunno, he made a convincing argument. Mentioned bending over for Sony, poor launch, $600, fanboyism. Seems legit to me.

haunts said:

eh, I thought it looked pretty epic and had some nice visuals, so I was interested...I like to form my own opinion though, based on some consensus...I think its sounding like a bit of a bomb, but I would like to see some more opinions first...

pswii60

TTP said:
Will do... later ;)

Games doesnt seem very hard. When you die you dont start from the beginning so it's all good. You just keep going.

Although that would probably make the game seem shorter, it really pissed me off in Rainbow Six Vegas when I f***ed up a mission and had to backtrack all the time.

And don't get me started on Ninja Gaiden.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Tiktaalik said:
Ouch sounds pretty crappy. One thing to consider though for folks who are hoping Liar will turn out better than the current crop of impressions we've been hearing is that framerate is one of the very last things to be optimized.

Then again if this is review code isn't it the same as the retail copy pretty much?

As I said, this is a preview copy. It might be a review copy "in disguise". Let's wait for the retail code for the final judgement.

I still have mine preordered.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
PolyGone said:
man...

that sounds almost identical to the "save the freighters" levels in RS, just with dragons instead of tie fighters and mantas instead of rebel ships... :/

Agreed.

Thanks TTP. You just saved me $60 and guaranteed this will be rental only.

karasu

sebthelobster said:

Please shut your broke ass up.

pswii60

TTP said:
As I said, this is a preview copy. It's might be a review copy "in disguise". Let's wait for the retail code for the final judgement.

I still have mine preordered.

Despite the patchy framerate, is it the 'best looking game ever'? Or at least technically?

Julian Eggebrecht made out that it was technically far superior to any other game we've seen yet due to the meshing. Also, are the textures pin-sharp when you go up to the buildings, or land on the ground? The videos make it seem like this, but obviously when you play a game yourself on your HDTV it can be a different story.

methane47

So has Speevy gotten a tag yet?

Code:
Speevy
[URL="ww.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7263254"]Happiest Man in the world[/URL]
Today 01:20 PM

It can basically get very confusing a times. A kind of I-NEED-A-****ING-MAP degree of confusion if u get what I mean. You just have this arrow pointing you towards your objective, but in more open missions like the one I described you gotta look around yourself and decide where to go. But then again, this confusion is mostly due to the lack of visual clarity.

It sounds EXACTLY like Rogue Squadron. I could never get past the defending missions in that game.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
TTP said:
Let's wait for the retail code for the final judgement.
If we're withholding judgment, why the more attention-grabbing tactic of a new topic rather than simply put these impressions in the official thread for the game?

pswii60

methane47 said:
So has Speevy gotten a tag yet?

Code:
Speevy
[URL="ww.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7263254"]Happiest Man in the world[/URL]
Today 01:20 PM

I think that's a bit unfair on Speevy. Xbot or not, he was praising Heavenly Sword to the max yesterday.

tanod

when is my burrito
This puts the game solidly in the "demo/rent first or no buy" category, unless every review that comes out from now on puts it at a 9 or above.

Sounds like this game, might have needed another delay.

Draft

kaching said:
If we're withholding judgment, why the more attention-grabbing tactic of a new topic rather than simply put these impressions in the official thread for the game?
To grab attention for his withholding of judgment.

Firewire said:
Ok WTF! are they not banning the junior troll's anymore?

Quoting trolling posts merely serves to keep them alive. Let the mods do their jobs and you worry about your end of the discussion.

unf unf

Top Bottom