• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow Lair frame rate is all over the place

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Just got the *preview* code and spent some time with it in the comfort of my sofa and I must say the frame rate is all over the place.

Didn't give me this impression at all at E3, but here, in a more intimate environment, me and him alone, the times where it stays at 30fps are so few they don't even matter.

Factor 5 either screwed big time or this version is as old as baby Gesus (albeit it honestly doesnt look so - even the gallery and the making of stuff is in there already)

Still having some fun here and there (just passed the "sea snake" boss - which attempts to pull a God of War in terms of QTEs but honestly fails due to the whole clunkiness of the engine), but the frame rate is killing it atm. That, plus the low-colors palette makes it very hard to even spot enemies flying over the background forcing me to use the "special vision" more that I'd like to (need to push down on the D-pad to activate it). Mission flow is interrupted like every minute by some quick cut-scene showing stuff like new enemies coming in or stuff like that. You cant even remotely understand how much I HATE THIS. Also, during missions there is A LOT of talking between allies. Which makes me wonder: how the heck can these guys talk to each other when they are flying miles away on their dragons!? They don't have mics for sure. Maybe somekind of telepathy.

Funny thing is I'm having ZERO issues with the motion controls. Actually the fluidity of the controls exacerbate the abysmal frame rate. I like to pull the rains for the 180°. Now that I got it, it works 100% of the times. Lock on works fine. I think some reviewers complained about it, but I dont see what's wrong. It's your standard press-shoulder-button-to-lock-on procedure. Maybe it's not the lock on per se, but rather the difficulty in understanding whenever or not you actually have a target in sight to lock on onto. As I said, it's hard to understand what's going on in front of you due to the frame rate/low color palette thing.

Dunno what to say rather than I do really hope Factor 5 did some magic between this preview code and what they are gonna deliver to the market. BTW, this is the "new vegetation" version.

On the bright side, we got the leaderboards. You can compare other people stats with yours, ADD A FRIEND right from here (u just click on the nick on the LB to get that option) and bring up the friends list in order to send/receive messages. Music is awesome (albeit broken in that it skips between in game and cutscenes for some odd reasons).

DISCLAIMER
- All of this comes from a frame rate whore
- Had a go with the silcky smoothness of Warhawk before jumping into this. Might have "influenced" me.

womfalcs3

Banned
I think it's older code because the SCE producer in charge of this project said the frame rate issues are fixed in the final build. (read that somewhere... sorry no link)

JdFoX187

Banned
Has the framerate been mentioned in other reviews? Not discounting your opinion, but F5 might have fixed it. It's disappointing nonetheless. I'm still really looking forward to this game, but the bad news keeps lowering my anticipation.

USD

My brain wanted to turn Lair frame rate into Lar fraime rate (whatever the hell that means). I'm gonna go to sleep now.

tanod

when is my burrito
There's already reviews and you're looking at preview code?

*confused* (not that you have preview code, but that they gave you that when apparently there is a reviewable build out there)

EDIT: What res are you playing in?

Darji

Banned
yeah everyone said that the framerate is fluid and no concern anymore. But mabye you counted the slow motion actions as frame rate issue?

Jk^^

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
20 pages, 7 bans, and a lock.

I think they'll be around 6 pages actually, it will start up quick, but most have already come to accept that LAIR is most likely a disappointment.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Shogmaster said:
They probably could have nailed 60fps locked @ 720p, but they had a marketing bullet point to chase after so...

Yeah. Which sucks cos I dont even have a 1080p display.

Maybe I can spot enemies easier on those HDTVs.

Jim

TTP said:
Just got the *preview* code and spent some time with it in the comfort of my sofa and I must say the frame rate is all over the place.

Actual *review* code is already out, so makes no sense it would be labeled as preview.

VonGak!

Banned
Shogmaster said:
They probably could have nailed 60fps locked @ 720p, but they had a marketing bullet point to chase after so...

LOGIC ALERT (caps) :p :)

Nah because then the game would run fluidly in 720p.

After all, Lair doesn't downscale 1080p to 720p but instead renders the game natively in 720p.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
tanod said:
There's already reviews and you're looking at preview code?

Beats me dude. Game is out in September in Europe (where I live) and Sony is sending "preview codes" for now. This can very well be intended as a preview code just because it lack localizations, the game itself actually being the gold code that will ship in US in a matter of days. This wouldn't be a first.

I was playing at 720p.

PolyGone

Banned
...this really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has seen the trailers and gameplay footage... the major turn off for me with this game...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
VonGak! said:
After all, Lair doesn't downscale 1080p to 720p but instead renders the game natively in 720p.

It does? WOW I dont really wanna see the 1080p version.

VonGak! said:
LOGIC ALERT (caps) :p :)

Nah because then the game would run fluidly in 720p.

Are you serious?!? @_0 Then why the hell is TTP having frame rate issues @ SD?!? Are you telling me that this game can't hold steady frame rate rendering @ 480p?!? X_x

raYne

Jim said:
Actual *review* code is already out, so makes no sense it would be labeled as preview.
Indeed. I was just about to ask why they'd still be sending out preview code in the first place.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
PolyGone said:
...this really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has seen the trailers and gameplay footage... the major turn off for me with this game...

Yeah but I kinda believed Julian when he said they usually optimize at the very end of the development process. Whatever they optimized here, I dunno.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Shogmaster said:
Are you serious?!? @_0 Then why the hell is TTP having frame rate issues @ SD?!? Are you telling me that this game can't hold steady frame rate @ 480i?!? X_x

720p!!!! I'm playing on an HD Ready 702p/1080i Samsung!!!

How dare u say I have a shitty SD!!!

;)

USD

TTP said:

;)
Just have to rub in the face of people playing on SubSDTVs, don't you.

Mmmkay

TTP said:

;)
Try playing it at 1080i to see if there's any additional performance drop.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
ShogSD said:
Then why the hell is TTP having frame rate issues @ SD?!?
To be fair, with all the stuff going on in this game I'd say likelihood of being fill limited are pretty low anyway. That said I'd still like some confirmation of no downscaling, I don't recall any interviews/PR mentioning it.

VonGak!

Banned
Fafalada said:
Is there an official word or evidence for this?
Nope pure guessing. :)

But would it make much sense to downscale instead of running it natively? (EDIT: I mean HUD and such could suffer like when downscaling from 720p to 480p)

And then there's the question why it wasn't demonstrated in 1080p back when F5 had the press gathered. To my knowledge it "only" ran in 720p then but F5 said they still felt sure they would hit 1080p. (I'll see if I can find the quote)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mmmkay said:
Try playing it at 1080i to see if there's any additional performance drop.

Later. At the moment, I dont feel like touching that again for a while.

Fafalada said:
To be fair, with all the stuff going on in this game I'd say likelihood of being fill limited are pretty low anyway. That said I'd still like some confirmation of no downscaling, I don't recall any interviews/PR mentioning it.
ABORT ABORT. TTP DOES NOT HAVE SD TV. RETREAT TO BASE. I REPEAT, RETREAT TO BASE.

Top Bottom