• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow, Metroid Dread really is the Soulsborne of Metroid (no spoilers thread)

GhostOfTsu

Banned
It's a great game, but I do believe it will turn a lot of casuals away. The boss fights were much harder than all the previous metroids. The only plus side for casual gamers is that you continue right next to the boss fight after you die.
There is a way to cheat with the Amiibos. The Samus gives you a permanent +100 energy and the Emmi +10 missiles then you can change your clock in the Switch settings (you can only scan the Amiibo once every 24 hours) and Amiibo will heal you/replenish your missiles. It works during boss fights too. Pause your game, change the clock, scan Amiibo. Repeat.

If you don't have the Amiibo, look for ways online to create your own NFC tag.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
How does it compare to say, Hollow Knight? I really enjoyed that one.

Done!

Angry Season 6 GIF by The Office

Kataploom

Gold Member
Just got to the last boss... shit is insane, I don’t even know hoy much time it will take me to beat tomorrow after having my arse kicked twice in a single minute

Last edited:
I have just beaten
tentacle underwater monster

Gameplay, graphics, control, atmosphere, level design are all top level.

Only 2 things make it not being 10 out of 10.
First, the discussed length. Note that I still haven't beaten it and this is just guessing from my side.
Second thing is linearity. And I mean in the sence that there is a set path layed out. Something like Hollow Knight where game lets you take your own way progressing, and 4 or 5 possible directions a player can take after a first area is something I was hoping for. Note here also, that this is also observation based on only 3.5 hours in on first playthrough.

Up until now it's 9/10
My thoughts exactly. Maybe bosses are bit too long to beat (to me it's all about exploration, not bosses). Also I have no interest of exploring the planet and still waiting for that "brinstar" moment.
Otherwise - amazing action-packed metroid game. Just no for my taste a bit.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
This soulsborne shit has to stop. I only killed three Emmis but save and refill stations are everywhere.

Shubh_C63

I tried it on an emulator (is this bannable?) and well it was hard for me. Not really blessed when comes to controllers but even in first 30 mins the switch/button layout made me think this shit will ramp up to insanity by the endgame. but the atmosphere is so good.

GymWolf

It's really good. When I play games like this (last time was Hades) I'm reminded of how great games can be.
Most games don't even come close to this level of gameplay polish.
You need to play more games then, we had great metroidvania this year, from ender lilies to fist to the imminent hollow thing sequel (and i'm forgetting a couple of them for sure) and they all play like a dream.

tassletine

You need to play more games then, we had great metroidvania this year, from ender lilies to fist to the imminent hollow thing sequel (and i'm forgetting a couple of them for sure) and they all play like a dream.
I play lots of games not just Metroidvanias.

I'm sure "imminent hollow thing sequel" is great. thanks for pointing me towards that one .... Any other games you can't remember that all play like a dream?

GymWolf

I play lots of games not just Metroidvanias.

I'm sure "imminent hollow thing sequel" is great. thanks for pointing me towards that one .... Any other games you can't remember that all play like a dream?
Start with the 2 i listed, they are both great but i'm mad because i can't remeber the other 1-2 metroidvania that i played this year that i liked (i have shit memory for names).

Death's door is more zeldvania but that one is good too.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's too hard basically

I'm actually shocked that this is the narrative some are going with.

I saw a blood Alanah Pearce video on instagram where she was talking about a lot of people finding it too hard.

Ive died a good few times on some of the bosses, because I was learning the patterns and rhythm of that boss, then what do you know. Boss beaten.

It's not that hard.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
Took me 6 hours for 100% completion. Probably can get that down to 2 to 2.5 with enough practice.

If you struggle at games, may take you a few hours more.
First play through took 10 hours (wont lie my brain turned off and the underwater boss gave me fits until I actually paid attention as well as the flappy bird minigame boss.) no guides no assistance 60% items so I can see 6 hours.

Last edited:
As stated the evading and countering feels soulsish on top of difficulty, also want to point out that Souls has been compared to Metroidvania's for years with its level structure.
Now that I've put in time on it, I don't really see the Souls comparison at all. It has a parry, and it has some good boss fights, but, so do other games?

It's not that hard. I die loads on the EMMIs, but eh, not that bad overall.

Now that I've put in time on it, I don't really see the Souls comparison at all. It has a parry, and it has some good boss fights, but, so do other games?

It's not that hard. I die loads on the EMMIs, but eh, not that bad overall.
I can see how people would say it's difficult. But as you've all correctly pointed out, there are lots of different ways that a game can be difficult.
  • This game has smooth, but complex controls. If you're not accustomed to using every button on the controller, then you're going to struggle with multi-button presses under high stress situations.
  • This game requires you to correctly solve problems yourself and observe patterns. You have to observe bosses for patterns, weaknesses and "tells" and then create your strategy based around that.
  • You have to have ice in your veins and stay calm all the time. EMMI encounters and bosses require you to follow clearly observable tells and adapt on the fly without panicking. If you get sweaty hands, anxiety at the thought of an EMMI instantly ending your life, or don't have to patience to pace your dodges correctly on bosses then you could easily make things more difficult than they actually are. Half the time on bosses, I'd get hit more frequently until I slowed down and just observed and went at the bosses pace. But then other times you're constant rapid dashes over and over, and if you don't have any action game experience you might be overwhelmed. At times it almost feels closer to Ninja Gaiden than past Metroids, so people without that background could get schooled, frequent wall jumps into multi-air dashes are not uncommon while aiming in the air with two triggers so you're charging a shot.
I think the game is supremely polished and FAIR. Everything is clear, you just have to figure out the patterns. But I can put myself into the perspective of someone that's overwhelmed.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
It's too hard basically
If someone finds this game too hard then there's no hope for them. Fine, Souls games are 50 hours long and you have to worry about stats and builds, but in Dread you just run around and shoot things until you find the way forward. And the bosses mostly come down to just jumping over obstacles, like in 5000000 other games.

I can see how people would say it's difficult. But as you've all correctly pointed out, there are lots of different ways that a game can be difficult.
  • This game has smooth, but complex controls. If you're not accustomed to using every button on the controller, then you're going to struggle with multi-button presses under high stress situations.
  • This game requires you to correctly solve problems yourself and observe patterns. You have to observe bosses for patterns, weaknesses and "tells" and then create your strategy based around that.
  • You have to have ice in your veins and stay calm all the time. EMMI encounters and bosses require you to follow clearly observable tells and adapt on the fly without panicking. If you get sweaty hands, anxiety at the thought of an EMMI instantly ending your life, or don't have to patience to pace your dodges correctly on bosses then you could easily make things more difficult than they actually are. Half the time on bosses, I'd get hit more frequently until I slowed down and just observed and went at the bosses pace. But then other times you're constant rapid dashes over and over, and if you don't have any action game experience you might be overwhelmed. At times it almost feels closer to Ninja Gaiden than past Metroids, so people without that background could get schooled, frequent wall jumps into multi-air dashes are not uncommon while aiming in the air with two triggers so you're charging a shot.
I think the game is supremely polished and FAIR. Everything is clear, you just have to figure out the patterns. But I can put myself into the perspective of someone that's overwhelmed.
Yeah, i think that's a good summation. It's definitely fair, but it does require you to be aware and calm, methodical, probably to a degree a lot of people aren't expecting. It's not insanely difficult, but it certainly requires a bit more than just rolling through without thought.
I found the controls a little trouble at first, but i'm good now. I think that's a good sign - i like the challenge/having to adapt.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

As I stated, I played *a lot* of Metroid right before Dread released. I was well familiarized with both how the game controlled (thanks to Samus Returns) and the general item layout. Usually I just go and power through every main boss while avoiding getting minor collectibles unless they are in front of me or in obviously reachable places. That way, after about 2-3 hours I can spend hte last few doing nothing but going back for all the upgrades. The way the game is laid out, you get quite a number of them in your path as you enter and reenter locations.

Its really brilliantly designed.

Delt31

I doubted this game based on the early videos.

i was dead wrong.

this game is unbelievable now that I’m playing it. It’s giving SM a run for its money right now

The clock said it took me 10 on the first run but it felt longer.

I think people are misinterpreting this game for being great when it's really just good and very addicting. It's like one gigantic zelda dungeon that does a perfect job of balancing Adversity/Reward and Exploration. You always want to learn whats through the next door and overcome the next level baddies to get your new item every 20-30min of gameplay or so. It does this on a cycle repetitively. Most games do this but usually never in this short of a cycle and this consistently. This is why people keep saying it's great and addicting - because it is designed to give you an addiction and it makes you want it and want more. It's a brain drug. I couldn't put it down I beat it twice, but is it great?

Eh... the story is almost totally unintegrated from the gameplay. I feel like it was designed first as a game and then someone came in to patch it all together and program two cutscenes to give it meaning. The controls aren't as good as I wish they were. I see people in 2 hour speedruns simply getting frustrated at the controls not responding at times in ways that make sense. This was my experience as well. The analog stick's deadzone for moves is too small. Sometimes if you combine the stick and a button with another action like hanging on a wall the button's action will be blocked. The kneeling to shoot is especially difficult to nail because you have to press down on the joystick almost perfectly within 1 or 2 degrees of perfect down to get Samus to kneel.

Overall its very fun, but I feel the 88 on metacritic is too high. I'd consider Bugsnax a far better and memorable game and it's only got a 75/79. I wasn't addicted to Bugsnax like Dread but I can still remember that games characters and puzzles 10 months later. I can hardly remember anything distinct from Dread and I played it yesterday. The way it's just one big level mashed together into a goulash just makes it rather forgettable because only a few rooms or areas in the game stand out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom