• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

eQ5enm1.jpg

ViciousDS

Banned
dear god, if Sean Murray ever showed himself on stage for another game ever again or if even the word no mans sky comes up at any of the next two conferences especially with them being more fan based than press base. They are going to get boo'ed to shit.

So what are you peeps getting when you get back your steam refund for NMS?

For me I'm probably gonna get God Eater 2 since it comes with the original and TB said it was a good port.

I wish Amazon would refund my physical copy. I legit feel robbed. The last time I dropped a game this fast was Unlimited Saga.

Sky87

Got 8 hours played here, lets see if they process mine. I did initially file for a refund the day on release, but got cold feet when i saw people come out with tweaks etc, so i cancelled the request.

It's the only game that has crashed my GPU driver and the game simply isn't half of what they hyped it up to be.

Ludens

Banned
The dude played 50 hours and asked for a refund, some people have no shame.
If the game was crappy you could ask a refund much sooner than 50 hours. Man, even 10 hours are enough to understand if a game like that is good.

The fact that you played over 50 hours makes it seem like you just got a refund because you could though.

You don't put 50 hours into something if you don't enjoy it, even if it might not have been what they said it would be before release.
50 hours for what no mans sky promised to be is nothing. A drop in the hat. A lot of people were expecting to play this game for hundreds and hundreds of hours. The game wasn't as advertised. Many products give you a month or more for a full refund and this in my opinion is no different.

Not to mention a lot of people slogged through it for a lot longer than they expected trying to find some value in the experience. Doesn't mean they enjoyed it. Regardless I'm calling bullshit on any claims of 'you played x hours so you must like it' I played for 10 hours which is like 2 full metal gear games. It was shit. If I had paid for the game I would have asked for my money back. The fact that psn and steam are even offering these refunds is completely almost without precedent and tells you all you need to know about the quality of NMS.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://i.imgur.com/eQ5enm1.jpg

Let this be a lesson: If the developer can't quickly answer "what do you do?" in PR interviews over and over and over and over they dodge it: Don't buy it, folks.

So what are you peeps getting when you get back your steam refund for NMS?

For me I'm probably gonna get God Eater 2 since it comes with the original and TB said it was a good port.
If I had bought it (got Deus Ex instead) I'd get The Turing Test, Dead Rising, and... Idk save the rest I suppose.

Kyoufu

So how hard was it to get your refund mate?

Can you read my post at the bottom of the last page and tell me if that is what you had to do?

Wasn't hard at all. I told them it crashes too much to be acceptable and they completely understood.

They usually don't offer refunds, but I guess others have the same problem?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Got 8 hours played here, lets see if they process mine. I did initially file for a refund the day on release, but got cold feet when i saw people come out with tweaks etc, so i cancelled the request.

It's the only game that has crashed my GPU driver and the game simply isn't half of what they hyped it up to be.

If it's rejected:

I think support tickets would be the way to go for refund requests that fall outside either window. The refund system is largely automated and the note section is more for devs (who are also privy to the reasons given) than Valve.
If you get knocked back and the response doesn't suggest your reasoning was taken into account, reiterate why you feel an exception should be made as there's a good chance that your message wasn't actually read in full and the CSR just issued a recommended response. Stump explaining in detail that he'd like his received gift history only be told where to find his sent gift history is still the most egregious example I'm aware of.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I think it's more shameful to charge money for something that doesn't function correctly.
It took you 50+ hours to figure this shit out? Where a ton of people were crashing within the first hour and forth? Common son, we both know you played till you had nothing else to do other than refund.

Yep, Metal Slime edition.

Kind of missed that reverse circle/cross thing on Japanese Playstation console, didn't knew they kept doing it.

It took you 50+ hours to figure this shit out? Where a ton of people were crashing within the first hour and forth? Common son, we both know you played till you had nothing else to do other than refund.

He has pages on pages of error notices, the game doesn't work why wouldn't he ask for a refund?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
If you bought Fallout 4 or MGS5 or any other game, loved it, playing it for 50 hours with the intention to continue, then the game essentially completely broke, crashing every 10 minutes, you should be entitled to a refund because the product didn't come with a "you can only play this for 50 hours" disclaimer.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Common. If you play a game for 50 hours for a full 60$ refund... That's kind of a dick move.

Already tried to get a refund through PSN, but since I had gotten one a year ago, they refused it. Anyone who did so outside of the "one time only" policy - what did you mention to get it to work?

I certainly didn't put in 50 hours. I think my playtime is around 5 or 6 before moving on to the PC version.

Kyoufu

You played it for 50 hours

It clearly functioned enough for you to play for over two days of real world playtime.

This is some bullshit. I barely even travelled far in the game. Nowhere close to the center of the galaxy. You're telling me a game that no longer functions is OK?

Man, what am I even reading here?

I got my refund from PSN customer support a couple nights ago.

50+ hours of playtime.

Not surprised to see Steam doing the same thing.

As bad as it is you had a ton of crashes, it's pretty shady to do a refund after playing over 50 hours. Game is broken though so I don't blame you particularly.

Beefy

Even after this long you think they will? I got the game on launch in the US.

I got a refund yesterday from Amazon UK. Just said it kept crashing, also saidI felt lied to by the creators as it wasn't the game they promised. They accepted straight away.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
He's not paying for playtime, he's paying for a product that works and continues to work.

This is the same as getting a defective disc for any other game that crashes 50 hours in no matter what. You should be able to get a refund on that disc even if you played it for 50 hours.

U2NUMB

I tried 2 days ago.. have 4 hours logged although half of that time I was idol. They denied due to the time played...

Jonm1010

Banned
Even if I get three quarters of the way through a book and come upon the final third and realize that pages were printed blank, I would be demanding a refund as well.

The defense force for this game is ridiculous.

Just on principle alone I would encourage people who want to to try and refund this game. It was sold on false advertising. This shit needs to be punished by consumers. Shit like this game is why the industry treats their consumers like crap. Because not only does it often get rewarded, people will actively PR for those doing it.

joecanada

Meanwhile over at Sony...

Even though I do feel the game did mislead people, all your posts do is prove that the average person doesn't understand legal or consumer affairs.

If you bring a complaint forth against another party yes the onus is on you to supply proof of wrongdoing.

However a company could choose to just honour your request for customer service boost of course . But not every company can just afford to refund everyone like an Amazon or a Costco.
My friend brought a blender back to Costco after a year. Reason : I don't like it. They said okay no problem.
Good customer service ? Hell yes . Feasible business model for average business? Nope

Top Bottom