• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow! The shoryuken forums are closing

caffeware

Banned
After serving as a place to meet and discuss fighting games for many years, the SRK Forums will unfortunately be shutting down at the end of January, 2018, due to their gradually decreased use.

http://shoryuken.com/2018/01/08/srk-forums-to-close-at-the-end-of-january-2018/

SRK_sfii_ryu_ending.jpg

End of an era.

EDIT:

It says they're going to keep them up and move to discord..

You are right. Apparently, they are taking donations to keep things running. Good news.

Last edited:
I feel like the fighting game community is weirdly split between sites right now. Most news comes from eventhubs, so there's a lot of discussion there, but the comments sections are way less practical than a fully fledged forum like SRK.

Also individual subreddits are probably taking over the space.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I remember watching SRK videos for Street Fighter III over a decade ago. I always thought they were popular enough to stay afloat. SRK and Tekken Zaibatsu are the two big names I remember while I was going to play Street Fighter and Tekken in the arcades.

I have to wonder how many users have just disappeared. I visited the site a few times, but I am also aware of how many legacy users and posts there are. There's always that percentage of people who quit or just become uninterested.

I also agree about Reddit and other outlets. With the increased availability of information now a days, a lot of the central HUB's have way too much competition.

Last edited:

gioGAF

Sad news, SRK was always a great place. Too bad I stopped playing Street Fighter and couldn't be more supportive :-(

jwillenn

I think I last posted a little bit in the early days of SFV (remember talking with some fellow Ibuki-ers), but yeah... dang.

ancelotti

It's a shame many of these kind of sites can't survive against the power of social media (Reddit/Facebook/etc.) I think we're losing the potential for a lot of quality content since those kind of sites tend to reward shallow hot takes over anything else. At least the site is being preserved, but without a community it's usefulness will continue to diminish. I find myself frequently thinking, "It was better back in my day..." which is a train of thought I try to avoid. However, as Skinner says, "Am I out of touch? No, it's the children who are wrong."

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
It says they're going to keep them up and move to discord..
Discord's kinda a shame. It's way overused for this kinda thing now, and chat's just not efficient for long term info storage or stuff like easily accessing the info that aids in picking up a character. (Also given Discord has no real way of actually making money off their thing, I really wince at the thought of all that info going poof sooner or later.)

Add the the billion facebook groups, everyone having a discord server or 5, Twitter, and the multiple YouTube channels, and you have an information explosion with no centralized repository.

Last edited:

BrettWeir

I see that they are trying to keep it afloat in one form or another, but still sad to read. When SF4 came out, I was an incredibly active member there. Hell, I used to be one of the custom stick makers and Namco stick modders before Madcatz came out with their sticks. Haven't been active there though since probably 2011 though, but a lot of good conversations from that forum.

Hell, not sure if Arthong is still around making plexi's for sticks, but I was the one that helped him get that business off the ground. Great guy.

Last edited:

radewagon

This sucks. Their Tech Talk section was invaluable to me back in the day. The people there are fantastic, knowledgeable, and super helpful.

Top Bottom