• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WoW: two weeks in....Meh

The game looks good and captures the essence of Warcraft pretty well (I've only ventured in the human lands). But, the 'game' part isn't doing much for me. It's a lot of fetch it kind of quests. I know, I know what else can they do but it gets boring going to kill 10 of these and then come back or deliver this note to this person.

What I do like is the trades, getting a skill is nice and makes for a nice change of pace. The bad thing is that as a cook you have to spend a lot of time hunting down your recipes. What would be nice is if there was some sort of trade system where people could hunt for meat and then sell it to a butcher shop where you could buy it. The more meat they get the cheaper the sell price is for it. Or you could do trips to other realms to get more meat. It is difficult to get a party of lever 25s to go hunt with you for a few level 1 rabbits for your stew especially when you have mages on your party that will conjure food just so you can keep moving.

What is good is if you have a group that can role-play the game that can make it fun. But, that is difficult to do when you have "friends” that have different schedules and often it becomes "What quests are you working on."

While I will continue to play it I've kind of been sobered on the experience of MMOGs. If you aren't playing the game to socialize you won't have much fun.

madara

Interesting. I feel so mixed given how excited I been for WOW all this time and what I am hearing as time goes on with beta. Do you get that sense that grouping and meeting people is just a tool for a quest and then you part as alot folks are saying? Or is there good chance a community other then bnet whiners? Even I dont think I will touch this game unless there is a decided serious server like rp one at launch.

I"m really starting to think the only possible savior to this genre for experienced mmorpgers is going to be Vanguard, which is likely fall 06 game realisticly or nothing at all.
Everything seems to be so watered down because of all these whiners, and I have yet to hear mention of ton of high end content needed even for casuals a month after. I took the time yesterday to actually read the very long and well thought out Vanguard faq and had to nod my head at tons of things they mention wrong with current mmorpgs being culprits for why I never lasted more then month on mmorpg since Pre luclin EQ days.
But I was one that never had problem with CRs, a good challenge with alot depth as long as I felt needed, and pre luclin I surely did enjoy that as bard, even helping someone drag a lost corpse to them in a zone brought me alot joy or speed running them across the zone.etc.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Gattsu25 said:
as soon as I can afford to >_<

as it stands I'm already juggling between phone and power payments

Damn, sorry bro. We miss ya. I'm still saving for Haubergeon, but playing NIN isn't helping the bank account with the rebuying of Hairpin and such. lol

Soon though...

madara said:
Interesting. I feel so mixed given how excited I been for WOW all this time and what I am hearing as time goes on with beta. Do you get that sense that grouping and meeting people is just a tool for a quest and then you part as alot folks are saying? Or is there good chance a community other then bnet whiners? Even I dont think I will touch this game unless there is a decided serious server like rp one at launch.

Partly yes and partly no, but I have to say this because it is a beta and it suffers from intermittent lag (because they are doing various load testing and random bugs) it is safer to group for survival, you may lag while a teammate will not and they can save you from a battering. I think that is a condition of the beta and not representative of how you "could" play the game.

I have a group of "friends" that I play with on a regular basis. I grouped with them out of need but now I group because I like them. So again it's all on how you play it. If you get a group that wants to "live" in the world or warcraft then it is more fun. If you group with people that are looking for the best "dps" then will suck if that’s not what you are looking forward to playing. My "friends" and I have complementary skills so it works out well for us. For example I'm a skinner and a Warlock buddies of mine is a tailor so I give her all the leather I skin and she can make bags and clothes for the group.

I would like to see the parties be able to go to 6 or 7 member but I don't know how that would work.

I would also like to see for the game some sort of Mob average time to death calculator that correlates to respawning. Right now the mobs respawn after X amount of time. That leads to a whole bunch of waiting if you have a lot of parties around. I think if a mob’s ATTD is greater than whatever value they decide then it should respawn more quickly.

For the record, I've submitted my suggestions to Blizzard this isn't just random bitching.

IJoel

DJ Demon J said:
Slick, meet CoH. CoH, meet Slick.

My job here is done.

CoH is way too shallow for my taste.

I loved FFXI big time, but the mindless farming and gil gathering required killed it for me. I was addicted to it big time, until that hit big time (around level 32).

madara

Ah I see, thanks! No word yet on end game or mandatory well thought out fighting or group zones? Meaning this game has good chance to break trend with enough depth last past first two months?

Takuan

Do you get that sense that grouping and meeting people is just a tool for a quest and then you part as alot folks are saying?

This is exactly how it's been for me. I've been in groups where I've tackled multiple quests in one sitting, but after that I almost never group with those people again. In my experience, groups usually disband after accomplishing a task.

Takuan said:
This is exactly how it's been for me. I've been in groups where I've tackled multiple quests in one sitting, but after that I almost never group with those people again. In my experience, groups usually disband after accomplishing a task.

If often travel with similar people so mine is a bit different.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
This just make WoW sound even more appealing to me. I've played a ton of these kind of games and the ones I liked the least were the ones that pretty much expected you or even forced you to group up for everything.

If the game lets me solo a lot of the content and group up for major quests/bosses then that is great. In other games I've played it was a lot more fun when you could solo all over the world if you wanted, and were strong enough (and crazy enough in some cases).

If WoW lets me group when I want, solo when I want, and socialize when I want...I'll be happy.

Takuan

If the game lets me solo a lot of the content and group up for major quests/bosses then that is great. In other games I've played it was a lot more fun when you could solo all over the world if you wanted, and were strong enough (and crazy enough in some cases).

Yup, that's pretty much how it works. You only need to group for instance or elite quests. Otherwise, you can go solo (although grouping helps a lot in most cases).

Takuan said:
That's difficult to do unless you can actually find a group of regulars who have the same schedules as you.

I have a couple of groups that I run with but, I usually play late at night. But, there are three or 4 people I play with pretty much on demand.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Takuan said:
Yup, that's pretty much how it works. You only need to group for instance or elite quests. Otherwise, you can go solo (although grouping helps a lot in most cases).
Sold!

Top Bottom