• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Opinion WP: Environmentalists make good movie villains because they want to make your real life worse

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
In the middle of "we got to new low: using kids for 'good' propaganda", WP opinion piece puts surprising perspective on what's going on:

Thanos, the villain (and protagonist, really) of the $2 billion-grossing megahit, “Avengers: Infinity War,” was basically an omni-powered Paul Ehrlich. Whereas the comic book version of Thanos sought to kill half of the universe in order to prove his love for an anthropomorphized Death, the film version was driven insane by his home planet’s self-immolation after a series of resource wars. Determined to eliminate suffering over food and land, over clean water and clean air, Thanos used the Infinity Gauntlet not to create abundance of each but to kill half of all living things.

“Aquaman” is the surprise hit of the winter, racking up more than $800 million worldwide so far. And while Jason Momoa’s bro-tastic turn as Arthur Curry is earning deserved plaudits from male and female audiences alike, it’s Patrick Wilson’s King Orm who caught my eye. Orm hopes to unite the underwater clans of Atlantis in order to create an unstoppable army that will destroy life on the planet’s landmasses.

But Orm is no madman. His genocidal war is not the result of personal trauma or ideological insanity. It is, rather, a version of self-defense: The surface dwellers dump their trash into the water, strangling the sea life; the surface dwellers spew their smoke into the skies, choking the ocean with particulates; the surface dwellers hunt to extinction the ocean’s animals, depriving the Atlanteans of conveyances. Humanity must die so Atlantis might live.

Environmentalists make a useful villain because their malevolence can be obscured by a patina of reasonableness. Global warming and other manmade problems are going to end the world if we don’t do something — so just about anything is justified! But their villainy resonates with the masses because they actually do want to make life worse for people, for the most part.

There’s a reason France convulsed in recent weeks, as middle-class protesters angered by taxes pushed for by environmentalists took to the streets. Environmentalists want to increase the costs of everyday goods and services by taxing carbon. They want you to fly less and to pay more, via offsets, when you do fly. They want you to stop eating meat. They want you to stop having kids. They want to deprive you of disabled-friendly plastic straws — and they’re coming for your delightful balloons next. They want to turn your corpse into food for plants because even the sweet release of death cannot save you from the environmentalist menace.

Some scary stuff, if you dare (ignore the title):

DISCLAIMER: I do think climate change is real and that we need to act to stop it. That just doesn't make me support every crazy on this planet, just because they agree with me on something.

Last edited:

pennythots

May 14, 2019
The Taliban were extreme environmentalists and wanted to ban plastic grocery bags.

Checkmate leftists, we know who you are.

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019

In this case time will provide these "villains" some type of redemption I think. If we think about the Earth being a bigger organism comprised of all the other species and materials it has, it's hard not to think of humans as a sort of virus or disease. The truly sad thing is that we have also the potential to work more as antibodies but, as with any autoimmune disease, sometimes a part of the organism that should be helping rebels or works against it. Humans I think are a bit like that. But I also think the Earth will get rid of us eventually and continue trial-and-error'ing to the next species that could serve it better.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Yoshi
Dec 15, 2011
Theatrics, emotion and rhetoric.

"You all come to us young people, for hope, for dreams"
Nope. No we don't. That's a strawman Greta.

"You have stolen my childhood".
You're still a child. Speak to the people that are managing you and tell them to let you be a child.

I think that using an autistic child as a figurehead for any campaign is disingenuous. "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" has always been a slimey tactic to guilt others into accepting your views. But the woke can't get enough - BECAUSE it's all symbolism and emotion. They feel they have the perfect vessel to push this portion of their narrative.

It's disgusting and children should absolutely be allowed to be children.
Nobody that is sane and reasonable asked for you, Greta. You're welcome to stop lecturing, preaching and posturing whenever you want.
But don't wield power and demand people listen to what you say in one breath, then claim helplessness and lack of power the next.
You can't have it both ways.

I'm not unsympathetic to the argument of climate change.
I do my part. I'm certain I could do more.
But instead of berating the 8% of the world that are soft targets over and over and over - how about addressing the 92% of the problem instead?
Not quite as easy a prospect because you don't get the same screen-time and emotions won't have the same impact as they do on the soft targets.
But nothing worthwhile is easy.

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
In the middle of "we got to new low: using kids for 'good' propaganda", WP opinion piece puts surprising perspective on what's going on:

Thanos, the villain (and protagonist, really) of the $2 billion-grossing megahit, “Avengers: Infinity War,” was basically an omni-powered Paul Ehrlich. Whereas the comic book version of Thanos sought to kill half of the universe in order to prove his love for an anthropomorphized Death, the film version was driven insane by his home planet’s self-immolation after a series of resource wars. Determined to eliminate suffering over food and land, over clean water and clean air, Thanos used the Infinity Gauntlet not to create abundance of each but to kill half of all living things.

“Aquaman” is the surprise hit of the winter, racking up more than $800 million worldwide so far. And while Jason Momoa’s bro-tastic turn as Arthur Curry is earning deserved plaudits from male and female audiences alike, it’s Patrick Wilson’s King Orm who caught my eye. Orm hopes to unite the underwater clans of Atlantis in order to create an unstoppable army that will destroy life on the planet’s landmasses.

But Orm is no madman. His genocidal war is not the result of personal trauma or ideological insanity. It is, rather, a version of self-defense: The surface dwellers dump their trash into the water, strangling the sea life; the surface dwellers spew their smoke into the skies, choking the ocean with particulates; the surface dwellers hunt to extinction the ocean’s animals, depriving the Atlanteans of conveyances. Humanity must die so Atlantis might live.

Environmentalists make a useful villain because their malevolence can be obscured by a patina of reasonableness. Global warming and other manmade problems are going to end the world if we don’t do something — so just about anything is justified! But their villainy resonates with the masses because they actually do want to make life worse for people, for the most part.

There’s a reason France convulsed in recent weeks, as middle-class protesters angered by taxes pushed for by environmentalists took to the streets. Environmentalists want to increase the costs of everyday goods and services by taxing carbon. They want you to fly less and to pay more, via offsets, when you do fly. They want you to stop eating meat. They want you to stop having kids. They want to deprive you of disabled-friendly plastic straws — and they’re coming for your delightful balloons next. They want to turn your corpse into food for plants because even the sweet release of death cannot save you from the environmentalist menace.

Some scary stuff, if you dare (ignore the title):
Good grief. She'll look back on this and wonder what she was thinking.

Absolute madness. "Young people" are just that. They don't have the life experience to really understand how things work, and how easily people can be manipulated with malice.

fantomena

Jun 1, 2013
earth is doing just fine, so are humans

climate changers of the lunatic green new deal variety are basically cultists
Earth is gonna be fine, humans are fucked.

We are in the way of this planet, earth will be happy when humanity is gone.

This planet has been through an ice age, the stone age, dinosaurs, a meteor.

Climate change is killing the human race, not the planet.

Good grief. She'll look back on this and wonder what she was thinking.

Absolute madness. "Young people" are just that. They don't have the life experience to really understand how things work, and how easily people can be manipulated with malice.
A young girl wants to fight for change and you go "lol girl get a life you don't have enough life experience".

That's quite sad.

Adults attacking Greta and other young people who fights for climate change action are just sad.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
i doubt climate change will have any significant impact on our future that won't be solved by unrestricted competition between privately owned businesses

humanity will go on, the weak will perish (get rekt coastal elites)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaqazooloo

fantomena

Jun 1, 2013
i doubt climate change will have any significant impact on our future that won't be solved by unrestricted competition between privately owned businesses

humanity will go on, the weak will perish (get rekt coastal elites)
Why do you doubt that?

Paasei

May 15, 2014

My thoughts exactly, although if I am not mistaken, Earth has had more than one ice age. Things change and especially nature. And at some point we (luckily) don't fit in anymore with its design.

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
What is the specific issue with climate change policies? Infringing on short term value, or you do you just dispute the science backing it?

fantomena

Jun 1, 2013
My thoughts exactly, although if I am not mistaken, Earth has had more than one ice age. Things change and especially nature. And at some point we (luckily) don't fit in anymore with its design.
So we should fight for action against climate change because if we don't we will allow us self to die sooner.

There will be mass migration due to worse climate all over the world.

Isn't it better to fight for climate change so humanity can live longer and people won't mass migrate?

If people who are anti-immigration don't want migration, they should want action on climate change or get ready for billions of people who will migrate.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2011
Adults attacking Greta and other young people who fights for climate change action are just sad.
She's a puppet.

I'm critical of the exploitation of a minor for political and social propaganda. Which is what this is.
It is blatant.

People fall into the trap of identity politics when they try to dismiss this criticism. As you just did.

fantomena

Jun 1, 2013
She's a puppet.

I'm critical of the exploitation of a minor for political and social propaganda. Which is what this is.
It is blatant.

People fall into the trap of identity politics when they try to dismiss this criticism. As you just did.
Prove to me she is a puppet.

And if she is, why does it matter?

Last edited:

fantomena

Jun 1, 2013
the science is garbage and the people using it for policy gains are retards

i see no adequate climate predictors that don't break down under scrutiny

cultists, basically
What science is garbage? Link the science and tell me why it is garbage? What makes it garbage?

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
There are several countries right now that have birth rates of 8 babies per mother.
I'm waiting for the climate activists to tell me how this is a good thing if our world is "doomed" in the next 10 years.

Especially since they're the same ones who warn us about "refugees" coming from these places. Why is nothing being done to stop this?

The world will go on as usual.

Last edited:

Paasei

May 15, 2014
So we should fight for action against climate change because if we don't we will allow us self to die sooner.

There will be mass migraiton due to worse climate all over the world.

Isn't it better to fight for climate change so humanity can live longer and people won't mass migrate?

If people who are anti-immigration don't want migration, they should want action on climate change or get ready for billions of people who will migrate.
I believe climate change is not something (entirely) in our hands. We probably increase the speed the process, but not much else. I believe it's more of a natural phenomenon. Why you would fight against nature?

I see pollution and all other ways we waste and disgust the planet as its own seperate issue.
And a good way for us to stop wasting it, is to lower the population, but hey, that is way too extreme to be be a solution. So now we just ban balloons instead, while the giant companies keep on chopping fields of wood and dumping their waste in the oceans.

Last edited:

fantomena

Jun 1, 2013
She has no idea how the real world works. If she was serious about this climate bs she should had gone to India or China. She is a fraud.
What has she said that makes she a fraud in terms that she doesn't know how the world works?

I believe climate change is not something (entirely) in our hands. We probably increase the speed the process, but not much else. I believe it's more of a natural phenomenon. Why you would fight against nature?

I see pollution and all other ways we waste and disgust the planet as its own seperate issue.
Why do you believe? In Scandinavia for example, it's not a belief, it's a fact.

I often see it in american-centric message boards and such. It's about wherever you "believe" in climate change or not.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon

it's exactly this, and the rate of change is a drop in the bucket compared to natural emissions

Reactions: gunslikewhoa
Dec 15, 2011
Prove to me she is a puppet.
As the OP shows, she claims she has had her childhood stolen from her.
Assuming what she says is true then she has been manipulated by others.

Her words, not mine.

And if she is, why does it matter?
Because "the ends justify the means" is rhetoric that is zero-sum. Anyone employing it is happy to do anything to get their own way and will argue that their methods shouldn't be questioned.

This is dangerous and it is dishonest.
And when it concerns the exploitation of minors - (with or without autism - but in this case, with) - then it is morally repugnant too.

If your campaign relies on moral superiority, you had better practice what you preach.
As we've seen with many of those that assume moral authority over others, they are frequently dishonest, exploitative and morally bankrupt.

For some people the "wheel out Tiny Tim and let them say a few words" tactic isn't very convincing. Because it's so theatrical and it's so blatantly exploitative.
The only people that fall for it are soft targets and those invested in identity politics.

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
Can you respond to my post? I want to check out the science you call garbage.
it's not possible to project climate change accurately enough to justify the ranges in the third assessment report of the ipcc

my main point is that things like the green new deal take questionable projections and use them to impose irresponsible legislation

Last edited:

fantomena

Jun 1, 2013
it's not possible to project climate change accurately enough to justify the ranges in the third assessment report of the ipcc
Link the science you got. Is it so difficulty? Whatever it is you got. Why should I believe you about the science today is garbage when you don't even post it?

And btw, do you know more about climate science than the scientists working on it?

Last edited:

Paasei

May 15, 2014
Why do you believe? In Scandinavia for example, it's not a belief, it's a fact.

I often see it in american-centric message boards and such. It's about wherever you "believe" in climate change or not.
Well then if it is a fact, then you basically confirm that what I assumed to be right - it not being up to us entirely - but rather a natural thing, is right. So then you agree with me?

Nature stands above us, as much as some wouldn't want it that way. So no, we shouldn't fight the natural phenomenon. We as a species have had our time on the Earths lifespan, just as the dinosaurs had for example.
If you want nature to adapt to us humans, then I think you would be doing it wrong. Plastic is a great example of this.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
Thanos was basically stealth climate change propaganda. Testing how receptive the general populace would be to population control. The “heroes” don’t even attempt to argue against his stance, it’s just kind of accepted, the little people are just pawns to move around, to give or take life is a privilege for the truly exceptional.

The results of this experiment were, yeah, a whole lot of people are totally down, in fact, many supposedly smart people will defend this as a good idea. Killing half the universe is ok if you are an environmentalist

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
I've always been of the opinion that humans should have put more resources into Space colonization.

Even if we do everything to make Earth a greener place, humans as a species were always vulnerable to other forces like supervolcanos going off, asteroid collisions, or hell, even the sun itself exploding.

As you point out, Climate Change could entirely be natural in which case, the other alternative was still getting man off this planet in search of other ones.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2011
I just realised that F fantomena is the same person that wrote this stuff in the Clown World thread:

Can someone explain to me why this thread cannot be taken as cyber bullying?
So asking questions is prohibited in this thread? Even when the question is about the content of this thread`?
:messenger_neutral:

A good supervillain fully believes in the righteousness of their cause. It is what makes them interesting and terrifying.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
Link the science you got. Is it so difficulty? Whatever it is you got. Why should I believe you about the science today is garbage when you don't even post it?

And btw, do you know more about climate science than the scientists working on it?
go read the ipcc reports where broad consensus is met with a variety of models that don't play well with each other in different target working groups

i'm not gonna play the stupid game where we trade links all day

Last edited:
Reactions: Oner

fantomena

Jun 1, 2013
I just realised that F fantomena is the same person that wrote this stuff in the Clown World thread:

:messenger_neutral:
Yeah? Don't see what my question in the clown thread has to do with this thread about climate change?

If people are gonna connect unrelated posts from different threads then Im out. For good, I guess.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2011
Yeah? Don't see what mu question in the clown thread has to do with this thread about climate change?
It serves as a demonstration of the stance of the person questioning the motives of others.
Using their own words as evidence, rather than hearsay.

If people are gonna connect unrelated posts from different threads then Im out. For good, I guess.
They aren't unrelated.
They are related by you and your obtuseness, seeking to undermine the arguments of others from indirect angles.

Now, you could stay and argue your position with sincerity and integrity - demonstrating your earnest interest in the comments you made and showing a willingness to engage with diverse points of view.

But you've chosen to bolt instead.

Like I said in my first comment in this thread:
But nothing worthwhile is easy.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
What science is garbage? Link the science and tell me why it is garbage? What makes it garbage?

In case you're wondering, it comes from a right-wing source because left wing sources are in the brainwashing business and won't dare bring up alarmist projections put forth by scientists in decades past that didn't pan out, they know it'll piss off their "woke" audience (re: look no further than NYT's headline changing case for proof).

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Killing the human race? Last I counted our population was at record numbers. If anything, humanitarian aid and medical technology driving down infant mortality rates is a bigger threat to our long term stability than climate change.

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018

Climate change isn’t killing the human race either.

The human race isn’t dying,

Let me be clear. Anyone who says “the world will be doomed in 12 years” is a morally-bankrupt alarmist bullshit-artist who is spreading outright lies in order to capitalize on people’s lack of knowledge to scare them into voting for bullshit artists.

The vast majority of oxygen is made by ocean algae, which isn’t really being affected by human activity. If anything, heat waves promote algae growth.

The temperature isn’t changing as drastically as you want to believe it is. Even the easily-bought alarmist scientists that you probably like to quote don’t estimate a change greater than +10°F in the 22nd century. That may cause problems for countries so poor that they have little shelter and little water, but the first world will be fine.

Humanity is growing at an exponential rate. In fact, one could argue it’s growing too fast. But that’s still the opposite of “dying”.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Meh its probably more because environmentalist are generally old cis white dudes. Can't have Muslim baddies anymore. Chinese/NK'rs are off the list as well, need that sweet sweet Yuan. Russians are OK sometimes, but lefties still love their commies. Lets not even go there with African/Carriban people.

So you are left with old white rich businessmen(which is the most common baddie) or evil white environmentalist men. Often times you can throw in old white scientist man too.

To add to this, look at Godzilla. Literally the baddies were an enviromental group. Now at first the lady is part of this and is the 2nd baddie, but she "redeems" herself and realizes her mistake, while her evil cis male boss is too balls deep to realize the destruction he is bringing and never changes his mind. So even when the baddie is female in the end she becomes good while the man stays evil.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrRogers

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
Killing the human race? Last I counted our population was at record numbers. If anything, humanitarian aid and medical technology driving down infant mortality rates is a bigger threat to our long term stability than climate change.
True but plagues are also at their peaks of population numbers just before the whole system collapses and takes them with it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009

In case you're wondering, it comes from a right-wing source because left wing sources are in the brainwashing business and won't dare bring up alarmist projections put forth by scientists in decades past that didn't pan out, they know it'll piss off their "woke" audience (re: look no further than NYT's headline changing case for proof).
So where are all the climate scientist predictions that he isn't including in that "perfect 0-41 loss rate"? Is Nolte cherry picking outrageous predictions and poorly produced media articles? I have to question Nolte's understanding of science when he conflates "Scientific consensus" with absurd predictions like "500 Days Before ‘Climate Chaos". I'm pretty sure that prediction does not have a scientific consensus among experts in the field.

John Nolte said:
Sorry, Experts… Sorry, Scientific Consensus… Only a fool comes running for the 42nd cry of wolf.
Is he touched in the head?

Last edited:
Reactions: Yoshi

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
So where are all the climate scientist predictions that he isn't including in that "perfect 0-41 loss rate"? Is Nolte cherry picking outrageous predictions and poorly produced media articles? I have to question Nolte's understanding of science when he conflates "Scientific consensus" with absurd predictions like "500 Days Before ‘Climate Chaos". I'm pretty sure that prediction does not have a scientific consensus among experts in the field.

Is he touched in the head?
He isn't the one screaming the end of the world is coming.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
He isn't the one screaming the end of the world is coming.
Some people do as seen by some of the more recent ridiculous anxiety filled resetera posts about it. Doesn't make Nolte any less of an idiot for that article.

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
There are several countries right now that have birth rates of 8 babies per mother.
I'm waiting for the climate activists to tell me how this is a good thing if our world is "doomed" in the next 10 years.

Especially since they're the same ones who warn us about "refugees" coming from these places. Why is nothing being done to stop this?

They announced that they’re suing five of the world’s major carbon polluters on the grounds that the countries are violating their rights as children. If the suit is successful, the United Nations would classify the climate crisis as a children’s rights crisis. And more importantly, it would compel Argentina, Brazil, France, Germany, and Turkey—the five countries named in the suit—to work with other nations to forge binding emissions’ reduction targets, a sharp change from current international efforts that have so far basically rearranged the deck chairs on the Titanic.
They are not targeting the US, at least in this lawsuit.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Some people do as seen by some of the more recent ridiculous anxiety filled resetera posts about it. Doesn't make Nolte any less of an idiot for that article.
"Some people"

No, all of them are saying this, and all of them have been wrong multiple times.

Reactions: Tesseract