• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Am I the only one who has no clue what a Saraya is but did know her theme song? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Nobody was singing along though. What a bunch of marks!

And yeah Mox winning was like an extra soggy wet fart.
That is her real British name. Paige is a better moniker but that is owned by wwe I’m sure.

That is her real British name. Paige is a better moniker but that is owned by wwe I’m sure.
Yeah I still don't know who a Paige is, I spent 1999 through like April 2022 not watching any wrestling, so if it's in that gap I am in trouble (though I am trying to go through some backlog but it's uhhh a lot). I've gathered that she is someone who is reasonably popular and got hurt, and that's about it.

WWE is pretty hilarious on the 'owning monikers' front. Like In these early AEWs Cody Rhodes has to go by just Cody, because I guess WWE owned Cody Rhodes? Huh? How did they swing that nonsense? I guess Cody went straight through WWE development and didn't show up anywhere as Cody Rhodes outside of WWE? That shit's so petty. I assume it's a Vince thing :LOL:

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
She was a big deal in womens wrestling during that time. They have made a movie about her journey to wwe.

She was also foolish in her relationships and filming herself in intimate moments.

Kagey K

Banned
Yeah I still don't know who a Paige is, I spent 1999 through like April 2022 not watching any wrestling, so if it's in that gap I am in trouble (though I am trying to go through some backlog but it's uhhh a lot). I've gathered that she is someone who is reasonably popular and got hurt, and that's about it.
Watch fighting with my family and a couple sex tapes and you should be relatively caught up. 😅

For that matter most of these chicks in wrestling seem like the type that would have an OnlyFans... But maybe the promotions hold 'em in check?

dave_d

Honestly the most entertaining thing in this for me is listen to Cornette's take on it. He makes it sound like Punk is some kind of ninja taking out 4 to 10 Buck supporters all by himself until others showed up and is completely blameless, and that he was just defending himself. (Yeah, I have no idea what happened but I won't be surprised if comes out that one side, the other, or both are really at fault. We don't know that much.)

Dthomp

Honestly the most entertaining thing in this for me is listen to Cornette's take on it. He makes it sound like Punk is some kind of ninja taking out 4 to 10 Buck supporters all by himself until others showed up and is completely blameless, and that he was just defending himself. (Yeah, I have no idea what happened but I won't be surprised if comes out that one side, the other, or both are really at fault. We don't know that much.)

Someday I hope I can boil enough hate in my system the way Cornette hates the Bucks and Kenny. I swear, were they the only guys to bang his wife without him in the room to watch and he still jelly?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Someday I hope I can boil enough hate in my system the way Cornette hates the Bucks and Kenny. I swear, were they the only guys to bang his wife without him in the room to watch and he still jelly?
What? His wife gets banged by other dudes, this explains so much. He don’t hate them he hates himself. Because they refused to go the wwe way. When whatever wrestler “hazed” him he was acting like it’s just a rib but deep down the rage was building from day one.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Where did you get this from? I've heard nothing of the sort. All I've heard Jim and Brian do is try to piece something together from bits and pieces of truth and rumour combined with Jim's knowledge of locker room fights from the territory days. That pieced together thing is that a number of people turned up in Punk's locker room, something happened, Punk hit a Buck, whatshisface heard and went there because his disabled wife and friend were there, ended up throwing a chair, and Kenny has a bite mark where you would get one if you tried to get someone in a headlock. He didn't say Punk was innocent, he said if you're in that mood and 3-6 people turn up in your locker room and make it worse then it's no surprise. Past that, they commented on VPs choosing to confront someone in that mood without waiting for Tony. I don't remember anything past that, outside of Jim saying Punk is at least trained and the Bucks aren't exactly shoot fighters.

Where was this Ip Man vs 10 Karate black belts scene you heard him say Punk starred in?

DKehoe

Cornette has just lost the plot when it comes to Omega and The Bucks. It's a shame because he's clearly a smart guy with a huge knowledge of the industry. But he's now got to play up to this gimmick because it's what his audience wants. If he just didn't like them and it was a matter of personal preference that would be fair enough, I can get that those guys can be divisive. But it's ridiculous to claim that they're "killing the business" when a major promotion now exists pretty much because of their popularity. He might not like them but at some point you have to just hold your hands up and admit they must be doing something right even if it's not for you.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Cornette has just lost the plot when it comes to Omega and The Bucks. It's a shame because he's clearly a smart guy with a huge knowledge of the industry. But he's now got to play up to this gimmick because it's what his audience wants. If he just didn't like them and it was a matter of personal preference that would be fair enough, I can get that those guys can be divisive. But it's ridiculous to claim that they're "killing the business" when a major promotion now exists pretty much because of their popularity. He might not like them but at some point you have to just hold your hands up and admit they must be doing something right even if it's not for you.
Didn't the ratings drop 200k when Omega returned? Not that episode, I mean that segment

DKehoe

Didn't the ratings drop 200k when Omega returned? Not that episode, I mean that segment
I don't follow the ratings week to week anymore so I don't know. Ratings fluctuate based on so many factors so it's hard to look at a single instance and draw any meaningful conclusions from it. But the guy has main evented stadium shows which drew better with him headlining than they did in previous years, increased PPV buys, gave New Japan a huge surge in business in both Japan and the west which declined when he left, sold a shit load of t-shirts and merch, was one of the most significant components in drawing over 10,000 people to a show that had no TV or even a wrestling promotion to hype it up, as I said before is a big part of the reason a major promotion was formed and is clearly over with live crowds. The guy is a draw basically any way you want to look at it. But Cornette wants to act like he isn't because he doesn't personally like him and the way he wrestles. And like I said that's totally fine, he's entitled to not like Omega. But the "he's killing the industry" narrative is ridiculous.

dave_d

Where did you get this from? I've heard nothing of the sort. All I've heard Jim and Brian do is try to piece something together from bits and pieces of truth and rumour combined with Jim's knowledge of locker room fights from the territory days. That pieced together thing is that a number of people turned up in Punk's locker room, something happened, Punk hit a Buck, whatshisface heard and went there because his disabled wife and friend were there, ended up throwing a chair, and Kenny has a bite mark where you would get one if you tried to get someone in a headlock. He didn't say Punk was innocent, he said if you're in that mood and 3-6 people turn up in your locker room and make it worse then it's no surprise. Past that, they commented on VPs choosing to confront someone in that mood without waiting for Tony. I don't remember anything past that, outside of Jim saying Punk is at least trained and the Bucks aren't exactly shoot fighters.

Where was this Ip Man vs 10 Karate black belts scene you heard him say Punk starred in?
Well I've gotten through part of these 2

And maybe I'm taking it a bit wrong but in these first ones he does seem to sound like he thinks it's the EVP, Mike Knockitoff, and Cutlet so a 5 on 1. I think one of these is where they say Maegha isn't doing her job although one reading of that is that they brought her because they did want to talk and make it obvious they did. (Then again lots of people are idiots and will do stupid stuff in front of legal but think they're covered so I can't rule in or out that Maegha is going to say they're blameless or not.)

dave_d

I don't follow the ratings week to week anymore so I don't know. Ratings fluctuate based on so many factors so it's hard to look at a single instance and draw any meaningful conclusions from it. But the guy has main evented stadium shows which drew better with him headlining than they did in previous years, increased PPV buys, gave New Japan a huge surge in business in both Japan and the west which declined when he left, sold a shit load of t-shirts and merch, was one of the most significant components in drawing over 10,000 people to a show that had no TV or even a wrestling promotion to hype it up, as I said before is a big part of the reason a major promotion was formed and is clearly over with live crowds. The guy is a draw basically any way you want to look at it. But Cornette wants to act like he isn't because he doesn't personally like him and the way he wrestles. And like I said that's totally fine, he's entitled to not like Omega. But the "he's killing the industry" narrative is ridiculous.
I haven't been following the ratings either. Cornette makes it sound like Punk is a major draw. I mean I expect he probably helps but I also realize the guy is 44 next month and is basically Hogan's age in mid 97. Pretty much no matter what I'd expect his full time career to be over at the end of this contract. (IE he's a little younger than Edge when Edge came back in 2019.)

Soodanim

Gold Member
I guess the long term will be the tell, and that's been a bit fucked with the suspensions so we're going to have to wait to tell. If it is the case that Kenny did result in a view count drop, then that may be attributable to the style/culture/audience difference between Japan and USA. It could be that with Omega out and Punk in the viewership changed, but I couldn't anywhere near confirm that.
Well I've gotten through part of these 2

And maybe I'm taking it a bit wrong but in these first ones he does seem to sound like he thinks it's the EVP, Mike Knockitoff, and Cutlet so a 5 on 1. I think one of these is where they say Maegha isn't doing her job although one reading of that is that they brought her because they did want to talk and make it obvious they did. (Then again lots of people are idiots and will do stupid stuff in front of legal but think they're covered so I can't rule in or out that Maegha is going to say they're blameless or not.)

I won't be able to provide timestamps for anything because I just listen to the podcasts and it all blurs into one, but my general impression is that they were mostly just speculating based on what little they'd heard and what they know of the people involved, helped by Jim's experience/stories of backstage conflicts. Brian often alludes to locker room/back stage sources, but I don't know if that's too relevant in this particular case past the bigger picture of The Elite as a long time dividing group in the industry and people feeling like they had to do things their way or be pushed out. That does undoubtedly feed into their view on Punk's motivations and whether he was right or wrong to speak up though, which of course led to the brawl.

From what I remember, it was less that he thought Punk fought multiple people and more the idea that if a bunch of people you're not on the best of terms with turn up in your locker room when you're still fired up, something's likely to go wrong. I don't think they commented on what fighting anyone did past the known stuff (Punk punching a Buck, the chair hit, and the bite). But I'd rather be corrected than remain wrong, so feel free if I've misremembered or missed anything at all. From what you've said about Megha, I think the general point was likely that she fucked up because that was not the right time for anyone to discuss anything and someone in her position should have known better than to allow anyone to go and see Punk. They'd have all been better off had they left it for the evening then sorted something out a day or two later with Tony present and no flared tempers.

Is it any wonder that when a fight broke out with this guy's disabled wife in the room that he ended up doing some shit? Even if it was the case that Punk threw the first punch, Ace wasn't in the room at the time, so by the time he got there and saw people rucking his outnumbered friend I doubt he was ever going to be civil 😂
1200px-Ace_Steel_by_Ryan_Bognar.jpg

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The current rumor is that AEW will buy out Punks contract and be done with it. Jesus what a fuckup. Punk is probably not hurting for money but I would think he's burned every bridge by this point. There's nowhere else to go that will pay him what he thinks he's worth. This really doesn't look good on Tony Khan either.

dave_d

The current rumor is that AEW will buy out Punks contract and be done with it. Jesus what a fuckup. Punk is probably not hurting for money but I would think he's burned every bridge by this point. There's nowhere else to go that will pay him what he thinks he's worth. This really doesn't look good on Tony Khan either.
I wouldn't be surprised if that's how it turned out. I know I normally am pretty critical of Punk. That being said a f'up of this level is management fault and that means Tony and the EVP. (Even if they didn't throw the first punch they and Tony let things fester and made things worse.) A pox on everybody's house.

NickFire

Anything to not let Mox have the belt......
It actually makes perfect sense for Mox to keep the belt warm for MJF right now. Mox just lost to Punk before crap went down. So Mox losing the belt again won't be as big of a hit to his character as it would have been for BD if BD was keeping it warm for MJF. Now MJF can take the belt, give Mox a rematch, and then go into a long program with BD chasing MJF for the belt.

Dthomp

It actually makes perfect sense for Mox to keep the belt warm for MJF right now. Mox just lost to Punk before crap went down. So Mox losing the belt again won't be as big of a hit to his character as it would have been for BD if BD was keeping it warm for MJF. Now MJF can take the belt, give Mox a rematch, and then go into a long program with BD chasing MJF for the belt.

Fuck BD, I've been his biggest supporter for years...but I'm done. When you read the stuff about him just not caring at all and just going out and jobbing to half the roster, why as a fan should I even care anymore. Being a BD fan must feel alot like being a New York Knicks or Brooklyn Brawler fan. If that guy had 1/10th the fire and drive that Omega/Punk/Moxley/Reigns/Rollins had he'd be the GOAT, not in the conversation. So as a fan...I'm done, his matches are now piss breaks for me because either A) He'll come close and lose to real wrestlers, or B) He'll struggle to beat some jobber before winning in the end. If the build is to him and Jericho for the ROH belt...who fucking cares? ROH is AEW Dark levels of matter right now, and who cares if BD can win that belt after NUMEROUS attempts and fails at the real world title there.

Not sure I can get into AEW until Kenny and the Bucks and Cole are all back, cause Mox is the most boring champion that any company offers, same with Jericho with ROH belt. Who needs great fucking matches from your champs like the early AEW days when we can have WWE levels of talking segments and bullshit finishes. Mox is booked like Super Cena, in the dude put up a hell of a fight he basically won (But he didn't LOLMOXWINS). Toni Storm doesn't have the charisma to carry the womens division. I am sick of Britt...but jesus do the rest of the women suck. And who the fuck thought taking someone like Jamie who the fans organically turned and would go nuts for winning just lol I like being Britts bitch. TK needs fucking creative help, cause I can't recall the last thing that was pure entertaining in the last 6 months? maybe longer. He's got tons of ex WWE women (All of which have major flaws in at least one part of their game), both of his world champs are former WWE lets face it, midcarders making all of their talent look dumb.

Thank fuck Hunter has found a way to make WWE actually fun to watch. Even if it's not 7 stars, almost every segment keeps me entertained (and not the Vince sports entertained). I'm back to looking forward to Raw and SD, and dreading watching Dynamite and Rampage. WTF.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Imagine the odds if you put a bet on 1 year ago that Kenny, Bucks, and Punk would all be out on suspensions, and WWE would be regaining favour with fans and talent because Trip was in charge. That would be early retirement odds. Throw in Cody's story and you're Elon Musk with one bet.

A year ago, wasn't Paul pushed out of NXT and recovering from his cardiac event?

Dthomp

Imagine the odds if you put a bet on 1 year ago that Kenny, Bucks, and Punk would all be out on suspensions, and WWE would be regaining favour with fans and talent because Trip was in charge. That would be early retirement odds. Throw in Cody's story and you're Elon Musk with one bet.

A year ago, wasn't Paul pushed out of NXT and recovering from his cardiac event?

Yup, Vinces stooges had no issues burying old Trips hard during his heart issue stuff to get him out the door to save their asses.

In hindsight, the AEW stuff was always bound to happen. I love Kenny and the Bucks, but their whole change the world of professional wrestling thing they thought they could do really doesn't mesh with what a billionare owner/owners son wants. They wanted somewhere to focus on the in ring stuff and just put on bangers, TK wants to watch his favorite hardcore idols and heroes of yesteryear on his program every week. Who needs a great Kenny Omega/Alan Angels match when we can have Flabby 2J perform the worst spinning elbow in the history of the business. Andrade did that move 1000 times better but had to retire it cause it was Jerichos.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Yup, Vinces stooges had no issues burying old Trips hard during his heart issue stuff to get him out the door to save their asses.

In hindsight, the AEW stuff was always bound to happen. I love Kenny and the Bucks, but their whole change the world of professional wrestling thing they thought they could do really doesn't mesh with what a billionare owner/owners son wants. They wanted somewhere to focus on the in ring stuff and just put on bangers, TK wants to watch his favorite hardcore idols and heroes of yesteryear on his program every week. Who needs a great Kenny Omega/Alan Angels match when we can have Flabby 2J perform the worst spinning elbow in the history of the business. Andrade did that move 1000 times better but had to retire it cause it was Jerichos.
AEW seems to hold itself back from greatness at every turn with a mixed message of what they are. Jericho and MJF's dinner and dance segment should have killed both of their careers, but luckily MJF is good enough to replace the memories with all the other good stuff he's done. Who can forget the exploding ring? What a shambles that was! Funny From the outside, but there was no playing that off as intentional. Matt Hardy's transformation gimmick was awful. The amount of injuries is insane, these aren't just regular botches. Someone should have already died, it's a miracle they haven't. Matt Hardy alone has taken more than his fair share, the backstage concrete comes to mind. Julia Hart in the last week shows it's still going on.

Wasn't the original pitch for sports based presentation? Then you have Orange Cassidy with that 'gimmick' (and his botches when he does actually wrestle), Bucks doing acrobatic paired routines that belong in a circus in the middle of a cage match, and whatever else I'm not thinking of. I thought the idea was to bring back lapsed fans that were tired of WWE, but you're not going to do that when it's a comedy presentation.

The lapsed fans came from the peak of Rock and Austin, and just because you can't top it that doesn't mean you can't learn from why it was good. No one seems to have learned, and Jericho seems to have forgotten everything in favour of promoting 40 gimmicks/trademarks and Fozzy.

Unfortunately for AEW their rival now has someone who worked through that peak running things and isn't an old man who lost his mind, and although Paul's stuck on certain things he's a wrestler's favourite that's already fixing things. AEW is the brand with something to prove, and that becomes a lot more difficult with the rival starts trying again. It's okay though, because Tony's nice enough to tweet someone on behalf of someone else and ask for an unblocking.

The next year or two should be interesting.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I watched the segment with the guy with the sign, they could have at least waited for a camera cut to have the guy get out of frame.

The obviously-some-intern guy just quickly scurries off to the back clutching the sign to his side in the frame lol

dave_d

Well apparently they took it down so here's another link to Bill Burr talking about Inoki beating the s**t out of the great antonio

Naked Lunch

Wasn't the original pitch for sports based presentation?
Yeah this is one major thing that seems to be forgotten. I remember the the match timer was a big deal in the opening months of AEW - and they even had a timeout or 2 in bigger matches, or a buzzer beater of sorts - the commentators would always mention the timer.

Im not sure what or exactly why but AEW suddenly became nearly unwatchable ever since the Bucks and Omega suspension. I cant really get behind any storylines or even matches. Everything feels halfbaked - just going thru the motions. Too predictable - no surprises. Why is Hobbs still stuck on a feud with Starks? Where is Miro? They need to move on from stuff faster. Do some big surprises - big shakeups.
The product is lacking bigtime.

Everyone is telling me WWE has improved but I cant stand their shows either. I always tune in when that annoying Bro guy is on - or another Honorary UCE segment. Just cant do it.

Looks like wrestling is dead again for me at the moment :(

The Honorary Uce (I'd've styled it OOSE personally but I digress) is one of the only things I like on WWE right now. If the Alpha Academy got to do anything but being pure clown jobbers that would be nice. And I suppose I like Seth Rollins. And special admonishment to Butterface Bayley. I hate women's wrestling, I have no knowledge of her past or why I should care she exists, I'm unimpressed with her mic skills and her little stable. I don't get it.

AEW I was looking forward to having Kenny Omega around, I occasionally tap into my AEW backlog starting from the beginning but that's not quite the same. I effectively haven't seen any Omega and as soon as he's finally back he's gone again.

Overall I haven't been too excited by either brand lately either. At least AEW has the MJF vs Mox thing coming up. Though in-universe it seems kind of silly, like last we really saw of MJF he was just getting powerbombed into oblivion by Wardlow. Then he gets to be the "Joker" and win their Money in the Bank or whatever?

In retro viewing I got through Halloween Havoc '95 I think it was... my god... I can't believe they got away with selling that shit. I love how they try to get you to call a 1-900 number during the fucking pay per view so you can hear vague news about the WWF or whatever from fucking Mike Tenay. And Jesus man.... Kevin Sullivan unleashing the "Yetteh" who is actually a mummy on Hogan is just the stupidest shit I've ever seen. I vaguely remember how dumb WWF was with Midget Doink the Clowns or whatever so I can't say definitively that this was the worst... but it's gotta be up there. And the next night on Nitro they don't even mention the fucking Yetteh.
19951029_gianthogancropped--0a84636089910c2762fac4b9a0572180.jpg

Bash at the Beach cannot get here soon enough.

Naked Lunch

AEW I was looking forward to having Kenny Omega around, I occasionally tap into my AEW backlog starting from the beginning but that's not quite the same. I effectively haven't seen any Omega and as soon as he's finally back he's gone again.
Ive read some of your posts saying you are back watching AEW (or pretty much all of wrestling hah) so I wont spoil it but - Kenny pretty much gave other people the spotlight in the beginnings of AEW - even for the first year or 2 or so. I distinctively remember him losing to Pac by submission in one of his first AEW matches - which was awesome.

Kenny then teamed up with Hangman for a long while which set up that long form storyline with him. And he had his singles moment to shine in AEW year 2 or so in many different promotions at the same time.

dave_d

The Honorary Uce (I'd've styled it OOSE personally but I digress) is one of the only things I like on WWE right now. If the Alpha Academy got to do anything but being pure clown jobbers that would be nice. And I suppose I like Seth Rollins. And special admonishment to Butterface Bayley. I hate women's wrestling, I have no knowledge of her past or why I should care she exists, I'm unimpressed with her mic skills and her little stable. I don't get it.

Overall I haven't been too excited by either brand lately either. At least AEW has the MJF vs Mox thing coming up. Though in-universe it seems kind of silly, like last we really saw of MJF he was just getting powerbombed into oblivion by Wardlow. Then he gets to be the "Joker" and win their Money in the Bank or whatever?

In retro viewing I got through Halloween Havoc '95 I think it was... my god... I can't believe they got away with selling that shit. I love how they try to get you to call a 1-900 number during the fucking pay per view so you can hear vague news about the WWF or whatever from fucking Mike Tenay. And Jesus man.... Kevin Sullivan unleashing the "Yetteh" who is actually a mummy on Hogan is just the stupidest shit I've ever seen. I vaguely remember how dumb WWF was with Midget Doink the Clowns or whatever so I can't say definitively that this was the worst... but it's gotta be up there. And the next night on Nitro they don't even mention the fucking Yetteh.
19951029_gianthogancropped--0a84636089910c2762fac4b9a0572180.jpg

Bash at the Beach cannot get here soon enough.
Oh you're watching that? If this your first time..........I'd argue it actually gets worse from here. Yeah it's going to be a tough slog before you get to bash at the beach.

Ive read some of your posts saying you are back watching AEW (or pretty much all of wrestling hah) so I wont spoil it but - Kenny pretty much gave other people the spotlight in the beginnings of AEW - even for the first year or 2 or so. I distinctively remember him losing to Pac by submission in one of his first AEW matches - which was awesome.
Yeah in the early AEW I've seen, Kenny, the Bucks and Cody all seemed keen to put the other guys over to help build the roster. Since you mentioned the "timer" being a big deal early on, yeah I caught that with I think it was Cody drawing on time with Darby Allin? It felt pretty telegraphed as in the middle of match I was wondering "why the hell am I hearing a 10 minutes elapsed announcement" over the PA? That was the first time I noticed it and it didn't seem prominent at all before that match. But then I started noticing it in later matches a bit. But yeah I'm noticing that it's not much of a thing in current AEW.

But after my inital surge it's been harder to find time to catch up on the old stuff as well as follow the new stuff. Just with AEW and WWE it's like what, minimum 8 hours of TV time a week (AEW seems to randomly supersize Rampage and do weird Saturday TV shows) plus another 2 PPVs a month that are like 4 hours each.

Speaking of PPVs... "Extreme Rules" is next up for WWE? Like I said, I've been watching this shit and I don't know who is even on the card. Probably Rousey and Harley Quinn. Seth Rollins and 420 Bruhhhhh maybe? This Karrior Kross dude against Drew McSwordLARP?

Roman Reigns ain't doing shit for another month when he fights Mr. YouTube?

Maybe Halloween Havoc '95 wasn't so bad... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Kidding, I didn't even mention the part where The Giant fell off the arena after the monster truck fight to his presumed death, only to just show up for his match as scheduled. Shit at least play up the stupid story of him falling into the river or whatever and have him come out soaking wet or something!

Oh you're watching that? If this your first time..........I'd argue it actually gets worse from here. Yeah it's going to be a tough slog before you get to bash at the beach.
Yeah I went with the start of Nitro... which, okay it's terrible, but ya know what, the intro and graphics package I will still take over the current WWE 3D nonsense.

I started watching WCW back in the day sometime after Bash at the Beach because I heard about the big Hogan heel turn and it just all of a sudden seemed like a cool thing to watch in the day. Way back in the day I'd watch whatever that WWF show was on USA like on Saturday or Sunday morning-ish.. then I'm pretty sure I saw the first episode of RAW and then fell off not too long after. My best memories of WWF were always renting the big PPVs from Blockbuster Video. You'd bring home 2 full VHS tapes of magic. Summer Slam, Survivor Series, Wrestlemania... Okay the first two Wrestlemanias weren't amazing rentals but like everything Wrestlemania 3 and up was golden. At least to a 10 year old.

So I don't know where my wrestling project is at. I try to watch this WCW stuff through the Peacock app on a cheap tablet while cooking/dishes/exercise biking but it keeps losing the place in the episode I'm at, and it's kind of hard switching between stuff. As soon as you finish Halloween Havoc 95 for instance it wants to load up 96. At least the Nitros stay in order decently. But if I start doing old WWF in the app as well I think it'll just get completely disorganized.

I downloaded all the AEW stuff from the high seas, and watch it on my computer sometimes while working but it's organized even worse. I've made a text file just to note the last thing I have watched now (Nov 13 2019 Dynamite). I should probably add the dates for the PPVs to the file just so I don't get lost.

Naked Lunch Naked Lunch , funnily enough the last Nitro I just watched featured Johnny B Badd and Eddie Guerrero going to a 10 minute time limit draw.

h00ters

Question to those who have been following wrestling now that were following it back in the late 90s/early 00's. How would you grade the state of it right now?

I was into wrestling back at the peak of the Attitude era, but when my parents got rid of cable around 2003 when I was still a kid, I had no way of watching it. Have been going through Youtube and watching old classics from that era and remembering just how fantastic it was. I tried getting back into it around 2008 or so and it just couldn't grab me. Didn't like the storylines, felt the wrestlers weren't that memorable etc.

Is it worth trying to get back into now? Have things improved or is it still much of the same old? I know Vince is now gone but I imagine that there won't have been any monumental changes that would've had time to come into effect yet.

Yeah I went with the start of Nitro... which, okay it's terrible, but ya know what, the intro and graphics package I will still take over the current WWE 3D nonsense.

I started watching WCW back in the day sometime after Bash at the Beach because I heard about the big Hogan heel turn and it just all of a sudden seemed like a cool thing to watch in the day. Way back in the day I'd watch whatever that WWF show was on USA like on Saturday or Sunday morning-ish.. then I'm pretty sure I saw the first episode of RAW and then fell off not too long after. My best memories of WWF were always renting the big PPVs from Blockbuster Video. You'd bring home 2 full VHS tapes of magic. Summer Slam, Survivor Series, Wrestlemania... Okay the first two Wrestlemanias weren't amazing rentals but like everything Wrestlemania 3 and up was golden. At least to a 10 year old.

So I don't know where my wrestling project is at. I try to watch this WCW stuff through the Peacock app on a cheap tablet while cooking/dishes/exercise biking but it keeps losing the place in the episode I'm at, and it's kind of hard switching between stuff. As soon as you finish Halloween Havoc 95 for instance it wants to load up 96. At least the Nitros stay in order decently. But if I start doing old WWF in the app as well I think it'll just get completely disorganized.

I downloaded all the AEW stuff from the high seas, and watch it on my computer sometimes while working but it's organized even worse. I've made a text file just to note the last thing I have watched now (Nov 13 2019 Dynamite). I should probably add the dates for the PPVs to the file just so I don't get lost.

Naked Lunch Naked Lunch , funnily enough the last Nitro I just watched featured Johnny B Badd and Eddie Guerrero going to a 10 minute time limit draw.
I'd recommend watching videos from the youtube channel Wrestling Bios.
Especially the "reliving the war" ones. It covers, in chronological order, the whole Nitro vs Raw, including PPVs, week after week.

I don't think the first few episodes were that good... but all of 1997 was golden. The guy doing it has a great sense of humour :D

Top Bottom