• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Hangman is legit hurt in his match against Mox. A clothesline looks like it hurt him.

MJF cut a great bit with Regal.

lower rope also lost tension in the match.

• Empathy
Reactions: RNG

Fermbiz

Gold Member
AURDw7g.jpg

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Not a huge crowd. They can sell arenas for PPVs but seem to struggle for tv. I'm pretty sure WWE does too. Remember when WWF/E and WCW would pack arenas for everything? Good old days.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member

The undertaker seems to be happy not to have to keep up the facade anymore. Also, Does he have young kids? Not easy at that age.
It's still weird seeing him out of character. It's nice though, the man has earned every bit of rest he gets. He must be on Mount Kayfabe with only a few others who lived in a time before the mass proliferation of cameras and internet. The only other person who comes to mind is the Original Sheik, who apparently only had his real name said once at his funeral, and even then it was Sheik for the rest of it.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

The undertaker seems to be happy not to have to keep up the facade anymore. Also, does he have young kids? Not easy at that age.
I think he has some kids that are middle school age but I don’t really pay attention. He and his wife seem to get along great. I hope he enjoys all he earned.

hotbrew

Neo Member
How long is a taping? Is it true they do several shows in one go?
In a normal week they do Dark:Elevation/Dynamite/Rampage all on Wednesday (sometimes they do live Rampage like that one this past week).

What you probably mean is AEW Dark (not the same as Dark:Elevation) which they tape in Universal Studios Orlando and they do two sessions of like 3 hours of non stop squash matches. Sounds kind of awful lol but being there is really fun. It’s also free!

hotbrew

Neo Member
Not a huge crowd. They can sell arenas for PPVs but seem to struggle for tv. I'm pretty sure WWE does too. Remember when WWF/E and WCW would pack arenas for everything? Good old days.
I mean, it’s Daily’s Place…the Khan’s own it so running ANY AEW show in there is just pure profit for them. I’ll be honest…a Rampage live show, in JACKSONVILLE? There was a looot more people in there than I expected. But what do I know lol I’m a dork that drove 2 and a half hours to the show so lol.

Naked Lunch

The Elite teaser tonight on Dynamite was great to see.
Looks like theyll be making a return soon.
I dont follow wrasslin news too much - but glad they didnt drop Kenny and the Bucks over that jackass CM Punk.

Riho put on a great show - too bad the crowd was asleep during it.

Im not the biggest fan of this good guy MJF version. Just seems weird. The dude is a star though regardless.

NickFire

The Elite teaser tonight on Dynamite was great to see.
Looks like theyll be making a return soon.
I dont follow wrasslin news too much - but glad they didnt drop Kenny and the Bucks over that jackass CM Punk.

Riho put on a great show - too bad the crowd was asleep during it.

Im not the biggest fan of this good guy MJF version. Just seems weird. The dude is a star though regardless.
I suspect MJF will unquestionably be a heel when the gold reaches him next month. He’s just getting Mox to drop his guard.

Soodanim

Gold Member

It's all clear now. Everything Elite is going because Tony noticed he liked not having them round. We will see a new campaign called "Get the E out", where a Tony gets his wrestlers to sniff out the Elite sympathisers and drag them to the ring so he can fire them. If they don't leave? Ace Steel wasn't fired, he was released from a lower position to take Executive Enforcer duties for Tony. He will make them leave. A chained up Kenny is in the ring as a reminder. When he's done the era of All Tony Wrestling begins.

Or maybe Elite convinced Tony that they did nothing wrong and that Tony should push for maximum sympathy, which is why they're using "We built this" audio.

Dthomp

I thought it was great this week that they could barely hold it together and not laugh at Sami's like.

Everything about that segment on Smackdown was pure gold. Romans face when Jey says he doesn't care what he thinks with the camera zoom, and everything Sami, his facial reactions along with that ridiculous beard add so much to the segment. I really have been over Roman for most of this boring as shit title reign, but Sami adds so much to this storyline. Can't wait to see who eventually turns on who here

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Everything about that segment on Smackdown was pure gold. Romans face when Jey says he doesn't care what he thinks with the camera zoom, and everything Sami, his facial reactions along with that ridiculous beard add so much to the segment. I really have been over Roman for most of this boring as shit title reign, but Sami adds so much to this storyline. Can't wait to see who eventually turns on who here
Jey turns on Sami, Sami becomes full UCE. Jey and Sami fight for right hand man. Sami wins, Sami unites the Uce. Uce all serve Sami, Sami then turns on Roman. Roman is left alone. Even Heyman leaves him. Sami gets the championship. KO then comes in and helps Sami run the bloodline. Ultimately this causes a divide and the UCE return to Roman. with Jey eventually defeating Sami after becoming his most loyal follower.

Dthomp

Jey turns on Sami, Sami becomes full UCE. Jey and Sami fight for right hand man. Sami wins, Sami unites the Uce. Uce all serve Sami, Sami then turns on Roman. Roman is left alone. Even Heyman leaves him. Sami gets the championship. KO then comes in and helps Sami run the bloodline. Ultimately this causes a divide and the UCE return to Roman. with Jey eventually defeating Sami after becoming his most loyal follower.

Trying to read this made me think of the scene from Big Bang Theory where Sheldon explains Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock....

The way I'm booking it, if I'm a Vince McMahon who isn't running from sex scandals and have full creative control that is... Uso civil war goes down something like this... Jey and... the other Uso (ya know, the chill one) break up, the commissioner or whatever gives one title each to them in the parting, and it ends up Jey/Solo as one tag champ and Sami/OtherUso (sorry legit forgot the name and it's funnier if I don't bother to look it up) become the other champions... with whatever treachery needs to be involved there... Obviously this will require a Sami/Solo fracture... then you can have a re-unification fight potentially... but I mean I don't think you can let that happen, gonna have to be some kind of DQ that fractures the bloodline proper, and then one set of champs gets deported to Raw, which is a sad 3 hour show that for some reason doesn't get to have a real champion right now...

And go HEAVY on the comedy just to make that Jim Cornette angry :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Either that or they need to give Sami like a fetch quest to get the IC or Heavyweight title or something because you need to have gold to be a proper Uce.

Busting out a Fake Sting attempt
Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

Copacabana? That's the guy CM Punk was really mad about for some reason after that last big PPV right? Between that and the Bucks Thanos Snap promo last week seems like that dude is really done.

My entire life experience of CM Punk started with his MJF match where Wardlow abandoned his apparent long-time master. It was a pretty sad run with two crappy title wins that were immediately stripped. The highlight for me was when the Acclaimed had the rap comparing him to Hunter Biden :messenger_tears_of_joy:

My understanding is that he's already burned the WWE bridge. Well, good riddance buddy, hopefully you can get on the Jim Cornette podcast full-time or something!

In retro news I finally muddled my way through 1995's World War 3. The thing that jumps out at me about this era is the lack of a big screen for the poor crowd! I personally thought the PPV was way less of a turd than Halloween Havoc but it was not good. They promised a giant in all 3 of the rings... So there was The Giant... there was THE YETTEH who... looked like Scorpion from Mortal Kombat for some god damn reason and was the first or second guy out :messenger_tears_of_joy:. I thought the finish with the Macho Man getting the title was a pretty decent choice but the Hogan "I didn't go over the top rope!" stuff was just a little too silly. Like okay there's just one official and he looks away, then everyone's out of the ring when he looks back so I guess "fuck it, match over!"

In general I hate anything that utilizes more than one ring. And it probably makes the live experience a nightmare if you're in a bad seat. Not to mention the 3-camera SDTV presentation is just awful.

My only other thought is Marc Mero vs Diamon Dallas Page is kind of fun in a very stupid dated wrestling kinda way. Kimberly Page isn't quite as hot as I remember though, sad!

He's always on your mind, isn't he?
Sometimes when I think of the Bucks or CM Punk anyway. And I just saw him pop up in a "failed stables" YouTube video where his NWA dudes went nowhere in the late 90s WWF.

Listening to like 5 minutes of his podcast that someone posted here was enough to make me really not like him. I wish for his continuing engagement in the wrestling world to bring him nothing but sadness and pain.

I reserve the right to develop hatred of all sorts of wrestling personalities as I get exposed to them.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Sometimes when I think of the Bucks or CM Punk anyway. And I just saw him pop up in a "failed stables" YouTube video where his NWA dudes went nowhere in the late 90s WWF.

Listening to like 5 minutes of his podcast that someone posted here was enough to make me really not like him. I wish for his continuing engagement in the wrestling world to bring him nothing but sadness and pain.

I reserve the right to develop hatred of all sorts of wrestling personalities as I get exposed to them.
5 minutes of audio and a 2 minute segment on how nothing was as hot as the hottest wrestler of WWE history has led to vitriolic hatred? I don't want to know what else goes on in your head

dave_d

This just warms my heart. Glad to know there's somebody else who isn't a Punk fan. Of course you probably would have been even less enamored with him back in his WWE run because of his over the top shill fans. FWIW it looks like this time he really is getting fired from a wrestling company. (He wasn't fired from the WWE, he quit. No matter how much his fans believe him if you walk out and aren't under contract that's quitting. Not that I blame him for quitting though. I mean if you're not happy and FU money go ahead a quit.)

Soodanim

Gold Member
This just warms my heart. Glad to know there's somebody else who isn't a Punk fan. Of course you probably would have been even less enamored with him back in his WWE run because of his over the top shill fans. FWIW it looks like this time he really is getting fired from a wrestling company. (He wasn't fired from the WWE, he quit. No matter how much his fans believe him if you walk out and aren't under contract that's quitting. Not that I blame him for quitting though. I mean if you're not happy and FU money go ahead a quit.)
Probably can't count this one as a firing it was a contract buyout negotiation (mutual agreement), but I thought he was fired from WWE on his wedding day so he's already taken one. It's definitely a weird one, either Punk goes home with his new contract buyout money or he and HHH build a bridge after the last one was burned down in a horrendous manner. Would WWE want to bother? Trouble follows Punk wherever he goes, it seems.

dave_d

Probably can't count this one as a firing it was a contract buyout negotiation (mutual agreement), but I thought he was fired from WWE on his wedding day so he's already taken one. It's definitely a weird one, either Punk goes home with his new contract buyout money or he and HHH build a bridge after the last one was burned down in a horrendous manner. Would WWE want to bother? Trouble follows Punk wherever he goes, it seems.
The gist of the story I heard was he left of his own volition after RR 2014 and had already satisfied his contract. So at that point that’s textbook quitting. (He literally could have gone anywhere he wanted and the WWE couldn’t have said boo about it.) Then the WWE spent the next 6 month trying to get him to come back because he made them so much money. After that long they gave up and gave him his severance package which is what he called his firing on the Colt podcast. (I’m guessing they figured he isn’t coming back so they should recognize reality. )

dave_d

Btw for those that haven’t been keeping track Punk has had issues at TNA, RoH, OVW, WWE and now AEW. I’d expect if he went back to WWE he’d have issues again.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I thought it was great this week that they could barely hold it together and not laugh at Sami's like.
I watched that clip last night because I hadn't seen it yet, it was great seeing them break and Roman roll with it. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of that story plays out

Last edited:

DKehoe

Do guys keep taking Tony out drinking to trick him into contracts?
I’m not sure what his job means exactly but I’m guessing Jarrett’s role is mostly going to be behind the scenes. AEW does need in that area and Jarrett has grown up around the industry and has ran a company before. So I can get picking him on that basis. Also it’s just funny to see him pop up everywhere.

NickFire

I’m not sure what his job means exactly but I’m guessing Jarrett’s role is mostly going to be behind the scenes. AEW does need in that area and Jarrett has grown up around the industry and has ran a company before. So I can get picking him on that basis. Also it’s just funny to see him pop up everywhere.
I'm just cranky today. Expected MJF, and got JJ. Not a fair trade.

Top Bottom