• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

NickFire

I'll probably get around to it but I haven't watched last night yet. I'm beyond ready for this pillars feud to be over. There's no excitement or intrigue. MJF wins or you have a weak champion. Jungle Boy is the closest to looking like a world champ in physical stature, but his character / mic skills will not carry the company. Only way MJF losing would make any kind of sense would be if they want to put the title on a different heal right after. But who would that be? Moxley?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Cornette is great if you want to hear someone smartly shit on 90 percent of modern wrestling. I just watch the clips.
Also his weird acceptance of anything anyone used to do to him that was bad was just a rib while proceeding to laugh. I swear he likes being humiliated.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Cornette is literally a cuck. So yeh he likes being humiliated.
Cringe Reaction GIF

What culture is great simon miller is great.
Okay but are there any Americans? Does YouTube feed Americans talking about the Premier League or whatever to Brits?

I'm willing to accept Canadians as well. Big compromise there, since they're almost Americans but still worship a King.

• LOL
Reactions: RNG

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Okay but are there any Americans? Does YouTube feed Americans talking about the Premier League or whatever to Brits?

I'm willing to accept Canadians as well. Big compromise there, since they're almost Americans but still worship a King.

I have no idea why the’re are not as many American ones?

Maybe proportionately more of the UK is into wrestling than the USA?!?

Last edited:

dave_d

I guess there Konnan and Disco's inferno's youtube channel. I haven't listen to them lately but they were decent when I did. Here's a sample

RavageX

I guess there Konnan and Disco's inferno's youtube channel. I haven't listen to them lately but they were decent when I did. Here's a sample

I'm gonna have to disagree. Every time I tried to listen to them they just ramble. Jim Ross' podcasts really are the same each week, I do like Arn Anderson's and Jeff Jarrett's were informative. Kurt sounds like someone who doesn't know the business but just did what he was told.

Cornette I like because he covers history and current. There are some things I don't agree with but his overall view of current wrestling I am on board with, and often when I actually try to watch current wrestling its not far from how he describes it.

Though I don't understand his love for CM Punk. He IS right that he drew money and views to AEW, but his wrestling I see nothing to be impressed by. He is alright right about most of the angles and talent in AEW. The week to week makes no sense, and the matches remind me of playing Raw VS Smackdown. People are just doing moves everywhere.

dave_d

Though I don't understand his love for CM Punk. He IS right that he drew money and views to AEW, but his wrestling I see nothing to be impressed by.
I'm guessing he likes Punk because Punk doesn't like Bucks or Omega. Of course I'm in agreement with you, I'm not a Punk fan. (Although to be totally honest it was his fans that ruined it for me.)

Dthomp

I'll probably get around to it but I haven't watched last night yet. I'm beyond ready for this pillars feud to be over. There's no excitement or intrigue. MJF wins or you have a weak champion. Jungle Boy is the closest to looking like a world champ in physical stature, but his character / mic skills will not carry the company. Only way MJF losing would make any kind of sense would be if they want to put the title on a different heal right after. But who would that be? Moxley?

Don't give TK any ideas of giving Moxley the belt again, we've had to suffer through his awfulness twice already and I'm barely paying attention to AEW as is with this bad run they've been on, I don't need to drop them completely like I will if they go back to Mox and his weekly blading

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm not sure why aew is keeping roh around. From some screenshots I've seen it doesn't look like many people are at the tapings. Seem like a money pit to me.

dave_d

I'm not sure why aew is keeping roh around. From some screenshots I've seen it doesn't look like many people are at the tapings. Seem like a money pit to me.
I figure it amounts to something like this. Tony Khan is a long time internet wrestling fan that had his own e-fed. He also has a shit ton of money. He always wanted to run his own federation which he's doing with AEW which he probably sees as a resurgence of WCW. However given the chance to run one of the feds he watched over the years he's all over that. So when he got a chance to actually buy one of those he did. He would have done the same if it was ECW or Impact. The only one he probably wouldn't have wanted would be the WWF since internet wrestling fans hate the WWF. (They also hate Hulk Hogan so I'd be surprised if he ever hired him.)

DKehoe

It is odd. The ROH PPVs have apparently done relatively decent for what they are but I can't imagine they and the subscriptions to the ROH service bring in that much. I suppose that it's a place for more inexperienced talent to go to get some more matches under their belt that aren't broadcast under the AEW banner. And you can treat it as a separate territory where you can send guys to for a bit so that they can come back fresh for the audience and you aren't overexposing people. But it seems like an elaborate set up to achieve that.

Dthomp

It is odd. The ROH PPVs have apparently done relatively decent for what they are but I can't imagine they and the subscriptions to the ROH service bring in that much. I suppose that it's a place for more inexperienced talent to go to get some more matches under their belt that aren't broadcast under the AEW banner. And you can treat it as a separate territory where you can send guys to for a bit so that they can come back fresh for the audience and you aren't overexposing people. But it seems like an elaborate set up to achieve that.

That's how I figured RoH would be treated, AEWs version of NXT just without as much of a train from the ground up approach that they do at the Performance Center.

GreatnessRD

Okay, so I quickly decided I didn't like Cornette. I went in search of other wrestling youtube podcasts. How come they're all British?
Just curious! What didn't you like about Cornette's pod? From his wrestler nicknames to his disdain for modern wrestling, I find him fucking hilarious. It might be because I lean a lot into what he's saying I guess. At first I thought he was trolling with his takes until I YouTube'd a lot of that shit and couldn't believe it.

For those who watch wrestling on a regular basis (Either AEW or WWE) I salute you. Because ain't no fucking way I could digest that bullshit weekly, lol.

RavageX

Just curious! What didn't you like about Cornette's pod? From his wrestler nicknames to his disdain for modern wrestling, I find him fucking hilarious. It might be because I lean a lot into what he's saying I guess. At first I thought he was trolling with his takes until I YouTube'd a lot of that shit and couldn't believe it.

For those who watch wrestling on a regular basis (Either AEW or WWE) I salute you. Because ain't no fucking way I could digest that bullshit weekly, lol.
Personally this is how I see it as well. It's easier for me to hear a review than to watch the stuff. Especially WWE. When did they start talking so damn much?? I've ALWAYS hated that about more modern wrestling. Standing in the ring, talking and talking and talking....

I wish they would just bring back the short interviews and leave it at that.

He seemed to feel the need to get his politics out there. That and the weird CM Punk love(who incidentally got on my good side as a 'new' viewer by coming out to Cult of Personality, which I love, then quickly threw it all away by coming out to the ring the following week with some pro-abortion shirt because of the SCOTUS leak... wtf is this shit doing in a wrestling show?).

And the whole hating on the Young Bucks and Kenny Omega... who I both enjoyed. If it was just the hating on stuff that I'm liking, that probably wouldn't be an issue and I might otherwise find him entertaining. But he's not getting that chance.

For whatever reason, YouTube decided that maybe I would like "Wrestletalk"... which was the first set of Brits I ran into. I gave it a try, but they're basically everything RedLetterMedia made fun of with "Nerd Crew", just in wrestling form. It's just fucking weird.. they got kind of the GI Joe ripoff graphics, but then they're talking about how they were like 6 years old in 2001 or some shit so they don't even seem to be the right generation to be ripping that off. And I watched a Smackdown recap or whatever and the guy was bummed that Gunther (Walter?) was going to Raw because his job is to watch Smackdown and he doesn't watch Raw.... Like... what? Can't even be bothered to watch both shows? I get that they're a slog and all but damn... you're trying to review wrestling online for a living?

Anyway, circling back around... okay so what do you watch? New Japan or something? Or are you just a completely lapsed wrestling fan that for some reason still follows all the news? I get through the AEW and WWE weekly shows by aggressively riding the fast-forward and just generally putting it on when I'm doing other stuff.

I thought both the PPVs were solid this weekend. WWE gets 50 million a show from Saudi Arabia? That shit sounds kind of crazy, but the people there seemed to be having a good time.

What culture is great simon miller is great.

That main Miller guy from the WhatCulture stuff does seem pretty cool. Not so sure about this other guy they have doing news bits. The volume level and mic setup is kind of shit. The Miller stuff I've seen so far has him out and about in Vegas since he went to Double or Nothing... and somehow that seems to have better audio levels. Nitpicky? Maybe, but this is the kind of content I consume through an Echo Show while doing shit in the kitchen... and it's gotta rise above kitchen noises. 2 million YouTube subs and you can't get your mics sorted m8?

Disco Inferno and Konnan I both enjoyed back in the day. Disco Inferno doesn't have a good podcasting voice, and for that matter the mics seemed kind of shit there too. And they were talking about a Cornette opinion... of fucking Jade Cargill. So none of it was remotely intersting.

GreatnessRD

He seemed to feel the need to get his politics out there. That and the weird CM Punk love(who incidentally got on my good side as a 'new' viewer by coming out to Cult of Personality, which I love, then quickly threw it all away by coming out to the ring the following week with some pro-abortion shirt because of the SCOTUS leak... wtf is this shit doing in a wrestling show?).

And the whole hating on the Young Bucks and Kenny Omega... who I both enjoyed. If it was just the hating on stuff that I'm liking, that probably wouldn't be an issue and I might otherwise find him entertaining. But he's not getting that chance.

For whatever reason, YouTube decided that maybe I would like "Wrestletalk"... which was the first set of Brits I ran into. I gave it a try, but they're basically everything RedLetterMedia made fun of with "Nerd Crew", just in wrestling form. It's just fucking weird.. they got kind of the GI Joe ripoff graphics, but then they're talking about how they were like 6 years old in 2001 or some shit so they don't even seem to be the right generation to be ripping that off. And I watched a Smackdown recap or whatever and the guy was bummed that Gunther (Walter?) was going to Raw because his job is to watch Smackdown and he doesn't watch Raw.... Like... what? Can't even be bothered to watch both shows? I get that they're a slog and all but damn... you're trying to review wrestling online for a living?

Anyway, circling back around... okay so what do you watch? New Japan or something? Or are you just a completely lapsed wrestling fan that for some reason still follows all the news? I get through the AEW and WWE weekly shows by aggressively riding the fast-forward and just generally putting it on when I'm doing other stuff.

I thought both the PPVs were solid this weekend. WWE gets 50 million a show from Saudi Arabia? That shit sounds kind of crazy, but the people there seemed to be having a good time.
I 100% agree that his political talk can be overbearing, but I tolerate it for the rest of the show. You not liking CM Punk because of his personal views, all I can say is fair enough. But I do believe they shouldn't have this type of thing in wrestling, but you do need to stick up for what you believe so we're in the mix bag section. His hate for The Young Bucks, Kenny Omega and Pockets are one of the biggest reasons I tune in. While I don't dislike Kenny, I cannot stand the Bucks or Pockets. But that's your right not to give him a chance since he's a super pro hate The Elite guy, haha.

At this point in my life, I am a super casual wrestling watcher. Normally I'll just watch Wrestlemania or if I'm home and watching a sporting event (Football, baseball, basketball, etc) and they go to commercial break and wrestling is on, that would be my 5 or so minutes of watching. As I said, I can't watch the stuff that comes out today for 2 and 3 hours. Just can't do it. I saw parts of Double or Nothing, but fell asleep on the ladder match, lol. I am for sure a lapsed fan that just listens to pods to keep up with the times. Pre-Covid I used to attend Mania each year with friends as they're big fans. So I try to stay up to date for when we eventually get back to going. Even though I still do it, I try not to be the old man that always go "Who the fuck is this guy. Where this girl come from" When we're at the events, so that's why I try to keep up and Cornette does a good job, to me, in order for me to keep up.

It appears that everywhere outside of the United States are more enthusiastic about the product. Might be because they really like it or because they don't come out to other places as often. Regardless, it is good for viewing and for the wrestling business in-general.

I 100% agree that his political talk can be overbearing, but I tolerate it for the rest of the show. You not liking CM Punk because of his personal views, all I can say is fair enough. But I do believe they shouldn't have this type of thing in wrestling, but you do need to stick up for what you believe so we're in the mix bag section.
I think it was Adam Page whose Twitter I ran across, and found his politics off-putting as well but... it's his Twitter. Ultimately if he's not trying to lecture me on AEW TV then it doesn't bug me that much. CM Punk was the perfect shitstorm of politics + Cornette, plus that ridiculous locker room brawl with the Elite. What can I say? I picked a side.

The Acclaimed also kind of have a political comedy thing going with their raps, but it's reasonably equal opportunity, and they are actually funny.

At this point in my life, I am a super casual wrestling watcher. Normally I'll just watch Wrestlemania or if I'm home and watching a sporting event (Football, baseball, basketball, etc) and they go to commercial break and wrestling is on, that would be my 5 or so minutes of watching. As I said, I can't watch the stuff that comes out today for 2 and 3 hours. Just can't do it. I saw parts of Double or Nothing, but fell asleep on the ladder match, lol. I am for sure a lapsed fan that just listens to pods to keep up with the times. Pre-Covid I used to attend Mania each year with friends as they're big fans. So I try to stay up to date for when we eventually get back to going. Even though I still do it, I try not to be the old man that always go "Who the fuck is this guy. Where this girl come from" When we're at the events, so that's why I try to keep up and Cornette does a good job, to me, in order for me to keep up.
I'm looking for pretty much the opposite out of my podcasts. I don't have any friends that have any interest in wrestling. AEW's here in San Diego tomorrow and I just don't have the will to go to it solo. So out of the podcast world I'm just looking to get some discussion and capture a bit of the zeitgeist, because nobody I know gives half a shit about wrestling.

It appears that everywhere outside of the United States are more enthusiastic about the product. Might be because they really like it or because they don't come out to other places as often. Regardless, it is good for viewing and for the wrestling business in-general.
I'm really curious to see how the AEW Wembley thing goes. And I think WWE is having an event over there soon-ish in a smaller venue?

He's an asshole and egomaniac but he draws for them. I can't fault Tony entirely.

One of the great constants of the pro wrestling business!

As far as personal opinions, I tuned in for Punk and Danielson when they debuted in AEW, but I'm not as invested anymore to tune in this time, even for Punk.

Dthomp

One of the great constants of the pro wrestling business!

As far as personal opinions, I tuned in for Punk and Danielson when they debuted in AEW, but I'm not as invested anymore to tune in this time, even for Punk.

I'll give the new show a shot for Punk and Co. but AEW has made me give zero fucks about Danielson anymore. Dude is just there as a background character for the ever more boring Moxley

You know. It's a real shame Christopher Daniels didn't come around about 10 years later. He's a hell of a talent that never got a shake in WWE because he isnt 6'3. Now he's 50 something and relagted to the background. His matches in Tna and roh were incredible.

Agreed on all fronts. I've had the privilege of getting to watch Daniels wrestle a few times over the years at our nearby independent promotion.

BTW if anyone else has an indy promo in your state or even nearby, and if it's decent, I implore you to go to a show! Going to live shows for smaller promotions can help curb the cynicism built up from purely watching matches and feuds from big league promotions. Plus, the crowd work is more personal, and you'll get to see moves, sequences, and interactions you wouldn't get on TV.

dave_d

Isn't it pretty typical for a promoter to put up with a talent that causes problems because they are a draw?
I think it's true to a point. I mean promoters used to put up with Bruiser Brody over the years because he was a big draw. That being said there have been some that have crossed to the point people wouldn't touch them. I mean people like Ultimate Warrior and Psycho Sid seemed to cause more trouble than they were worth. (Admittedly after a couple of years somebody would break down and hire them.) That being said I'm looking at Punk being a guy in his mid 40's. He may get injured, he might get sick of the business again so even if he's a draw, and who knows how much of a permanent draw he is, you might not get him for very long. (I know he popped a PPV rating and his merch sells but wasn't the buy rate on the last PPV he was in not actually better than without him?)

Dthomp

That's your reaction to the announcement of Danielson vs Okada? lol

lol, fair, I was listening to that video while I was typing and it just made me chuckle when he called himself that. I'm sure the match will be outstanding, with Okada winning 100%, just like every big Danielson AEW match until they show me otherwise with him actually beating a top level guy.

DKehoe

lol, fair, I was listening to that video while I was typing and it just made me chuckle when he called himself that. I'm sure the match will be outstanding, with Okada winning 100%, just like every big Danielson AEW match until they show me otherwise with him actually beating a top level guy.
I get what you mean that maybe Danielson isn't at the absolute top of AEW. I don't really follow them, or any other tv show week to week at this point so I'm kinda separate from that stuff. But Okada has been considered by people to be one of the top wrestlers in the industry for about a decade and Danielson even longer than that. So, for me at least, this is a real dream match. I get that there can be a lot of cynicism in wrestling when it comes to stuff like booking but getting a match like that at Forbidden Door is cool no matter what the outside context is. I'd also assume Okada wins. But with him not being champion right now it's less of a political issue.

Hayabusa83

Banned
I find Jim Cornette to be a complete hypocrite. For a so-called progressive he is awfully conservative when it comes to the wrestling business. Extremely xenophobic takes as well (with regards to Japanese wrestling).

DKehoe

I find Jim Cornette to be a complete hypocrite. For a so-called progressive he is awfully conservative when it comes to the wrestling business. Extremely xenophobic takes as well (with regards to Japanese wrestling).
In the aftermath of 9/11 Cornette cut a promo on OVW advocating for the US to kill innocent civilians in Afghanistan and Pakistan. He does so while standing in the ring with the OVW roster and what's funny is that you can see that Cena is one of the few who has the sense to not applaud it. His previous podcast co-host left the show because of his rants about Muslims.

Last edited:
Reactions: RNG

Dthomp

In the aftermath of 9/11 Cornette cut a promo on OVW advocating for the US to kill innocent civilians in Afghanistan and Pakistan. He does so while standing in the ring with the OVW roster and what's funny is that you can see that Cena is one of the few who has the sense to not applaud it. His previous podcast co-host left the show because of his rants about Muslims.

Crazy southerner who still wants it to be the 70s or 80s is a racist??? I can't believe it, not somebody with such nice things to say about people like Cuck Cornette

dave_d

Well and Lucha Libre too.(IE he thinks every Mexican wrestler is a "lucha suit". I guess we can bring up why he got canned from NWA.)

Top Bottom