• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Yesterday, the 10th, I bought two tickets for my Brother and I to go see AEW Dynamite on October 30th. It comes to Charleston, WV, which is about an hour away from us. WWE never brings any of its TV or PPV shows here. I went to a house show about two years ago and it was good, but I’m stoked about going to see AEW Dynamite. It’ll be the 5th Dynamite show. I am really happy AEW is bringing these type of shows to my area. It’s pretty awesome.

klosos

This is off topic from modern wrestling , but recently (last couple of weeks) i have been checking out some woman's Joshi wrestling for the 90's from Japan on you tube, some of the women there were incredible. the likes of Bull Nakano , Devil Masami , Akira Hokuto and lots more. I never knew it was so good . i know a lot of talented woman are here now like Tessa Blanchard but i dont think even she could hold a candle to them 90's Joshi girls to be honest.

I watched a Manami Toyota and Plum Mariko ( RIP) match from 94 on you tube and it was fantastic , a must watch.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
This is off topic from modern wrestling , but recently (last couple of weeks) i have been checking out some woman's Joshi wrestling for the 90's from Japan on you tube, some of the women there were incredible. the likes of Bull Nakano , Devil Masami , Akira Hokuto and lots more. I never knew it was so good . i know a lot of talented woman are here now like Tessa Blanchard but i dont think even she could hold a candle to them 90's Joshi girls to be honest.

I watched a Manami Toyota and Plum Mariko ( RIP) match from 94 on you tube and it was fantastic , a must watch.
your avatar looks like a steam-punk PAC lol

Dthomp

Yesterday, the 10th, I bought two tickets for my Brother and I to go see AEW Dynamite on October 30th. It comes to Charleston, WV, which is about an hour away from us. WWE never brings any of its TV or PPV shows here. I went to a house show about two years ago and it was good, but I’m stoked about going to see AEW Dynamite. It’ll be the 5th Dynamite show. I am really happy AEW is bringing these type of shows to my area. It’s pretty awesome.

I'm hoping once it gets rolling they bring AEW to the upper midwest, since all I ever get near me is like a once or twice a year house show and I hate house shows. I skipped the last time Raw was in close enough to me in MN because well Raw has been awful for a while now and didn't want to waste ticket and lodging money.

daemissary

I'm hoping once it gets rolling they bring AEW to the upper midwest, since all I ever get near me is like a once or twice a year house show and I hate house shows. I skipped the last time Raw was in close enough to me in MN because well Raw has been awful for a while now and didn't want to waste ticket and lodging money.

I literally can get free tickets to Raw and Smackdown when they are in the area because I know someone that works for the arena and they need seat fillers.

I’ve went once. Never again. Raw specifically is a long, miserable experience live.

Paid for super good seats to an NXT house show next week though. Wish they would just tour legitimately.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I literally can get free tickets to Raw and Smackdown when they are in the area because I know someone that works for the arena and they need seat fillers.

I’ve went once. Never again. Raw specifically is a long, miserable experience live.

Paid for super good seats to an NXT house show next week though. Wish they would just tour legitimately.
They should be in 2020.

Dthomp

What a shitty SD. I think I'm done with WWE. I'll get the highlights from youtubers who review the shows cause this shit just isn't entertaining. Why do I a wrestling fan care about all your fake MMA matches? Draft? What draft, most of the key players stayed on their shows so far, other then Fox winning in the end and getting the Fiend...so I hope Bray fans enjoyed his little run before he's a joke again on Fox the fighting show. The skits with Fox people were super cringey and the "war" rooms were just sad on top of that. AEW gives me everything I want, it's just a shame that guys like AJ and bryan resigned and are stuck in WWE.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What a shitty SD. I think I'm done with WWE. I'll get the highlights from youtubers who review the shows cause this shit just isn't entertaining. Why do I a wrestling fan care about all your fake MMA matches? Draft? What draft, most of the key players stayed on their shows so far, other then Fox winning in the end and getting the Fiend...so I hope Bray fans enjoyed his little run before he's a joke again on Fox the fighting show. The skits with Fox people were super cringey and the "war" rooms were just sad on top of that. AEW gives me everything I want, it's just a shame that guys like AJ and bryan resigned and are stuck in WWE.

The draft actually meant something before, but it feels empty ever since they introduced the "wild card rule," which was a desperate attempt by Vince.

I'm just waiting for the day when Vince steps down, but... i don't know when that's going to happen.

Dthomp

The draft actually meant something before, but it feels empty ever since they introduced the "wild card rule," which was a desperate attempt by Vince.

I'm just waiting for the day when Vince steps down, but... i don't know when that's going to happen.

Yeah I told my wife I don't think I can watch WWE anymore til after Vince passes away. He won't give up control, and his ideas or beyond dumb. Storylines to just entertain himself in spite of the audience enjoying themselves, and only pushing his meaty guys. Stupid things like "Shorty Gable" happen because Vince allows this shit onto TV.

Oh yeah, it's a shame that joshi went through a real difficult time in the late 90s and the early 00s. Hell, Stardom, which is now seen as the vanguard of joshi puro, originally began with a bunch of highly attractive but limited-in-skill wrestlers--it took quite a while for them to get to where they are now. At the very least, it's a good thing that joshi puro has come off life support and is now going global.

GreatnessRD

I wish WWE would come to grips that they're NOT a sport. That dumbass draft should be further proof that they have no idea to be taken seriously at trying to be a sport. Taking Becky Lynch first overall was the equivalence of taking the 15th ranked QB with Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers still on the board. Just didn't make a lick of sense. The draft War Rooms was just too much. Not even the crowd was excited that you took Natalya with the final pick, Jesus, lol. But WWE is gonna WWE, so I'm not surprised.

Anyway, people watched NWA power? I thought it was pretty good. It reminded me that I'm closer to Cornette when it comes to wrestling now. The flippy kicks and false finishes are getting to be too much for me, like... relax. NWA Power felt authentic and Nick Aldis put over the entire company AND was able to keep it heel. They kept it to the wrestling and actually announced the correct terminology for the moves, it was a breathe of fresh air. Looking forward to the next edition.

AEW needs a midcard championship. Even if its a TV title. People getting pushed into the title picture too early looks crazy to me. Under no circumstances can I take Darby Allin getting a shot seriously so soon, lol.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I wish WWE would come to grips that they're NOT a sport. That dumbass draft should be further proof that they have no idea to be taken seriously at trying to be a sport. Taking Becky Lynch first overall was the equivalence of taking the 15th ranked QB with Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers still on the board. Just didn't make a lick of sense. The draft War Rooms was just too much. Not even the crowd was excited that you took Natalya with the final pick, Jesus, lol. But WWE is gonna WWE, so I'm not surprised.

Anyway, people watched NWA power? I thought it was pretty good. It reminded me that I'm closer to Cornette when it comes to wrestling now. The flippy kicks and false finishes are getting to be too much for me, like... relax. NWA Power felt authentic and Nick Aldis put over the entire company AND was able to keep it heel. They kept it to the wrestling and actually announced the correct terminology for the moves, it was a breathe of fresh air. Looking forward to the next edition.

AEW needs a midcard championship. Even if its a TV title. People getting pushed into the title picture too early looks crazy to me. Under no circumstances can I take Darby Allin getting a shot seriously so soon, lol.
NWA Power was my favorite bit of wrestling I watched this week, mainly because of how much the presentation reminded me of JCP.

Wouldn't it be the ultimate irony if, through some crazy bit of mischief, NXT became the flagship brand of WWE? It's a pipe dream, but it's a fun thing to imagine.

I wish WWE would come to grips that they're NOT a sport.

Yeah i don't like it when they do this either. Which is why I couldn't sit through that NWA show.

FYI I think that war room reaction was meant for all their picks in that round, not Natalya in particular. (Still kind of silly they reacted that way every time though)

DKehoe

The rights fees were high because they sold themselves as a sport and that's whats in demand right now. So that's the angle they are going to play up because that's what Fox wants from them. The draft war room shit was cheesy as fuck though.

klosos

Oh yeah, it's a shame that joshi went through a real difficult time in the late 90s and the early 00s. Hell, Stardom, which is now seen as the vanguard of joshi puro, originally began with a bunch of highly attractive but limited-in-skill wrestlers--it took quite a while for them to get to where they are now. At the very least, it's a good thing that joshi puro has come off life support and is now going global.
OK that is interesting info, when I get time I'll check out stardom.

OK that is interesting info, when I get time I'll check out stardom.

Io Shirai and Kairi Sane both made their names in Stardom, definitely worth checking out (Sane went by Kairi Hojo back then). It's not great throughout the entire roster, but the top players are pretty darned good.

I'll be honest, I only knew about Stardom a long time ago because its head booker (and former ring announcer) was an absolute cutie and could wrestle adequately well in her wrestling days. And when you check out the first star of Stardom (Yuzuki Aikawa) she's a former gravure model who didn't shy away from contact but was not on the level that the joshis or even the current WWE women are. But they survived the early years and now have made famous some of the best women wrestlers on the planet.

Also check out Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling (TJPW) if you're interested--Yuka Sakazaki, who was at the first AEW show if I'm not mistaken, belongs there. It's affiliated with DDT, so there's some wonky stuff amidst the wrestling, but some of the girls there can WORK (Sakazaki, Miyu Yamashita, Reika Saiki and Mizuki to go off the top of my head). You can find some of their matches on the DDT Youtube channel for free!

Bullet Club

mT8Vxp3.jpg

US4pCDy.jpg

If you scrunch your eyes a little bit, you can imagine that chestplate on Bayley reading

BAY
BAY

Adam Cole will be in an angle with Bayley in the future.

Also, I am very drunk right now.

GreatnessRD

The rights fees were high because they sold themselves as a sport and that's whats in demand right now. So that's the angle they are going to play up because that's what Fox wants from them. The draft war room shit was cheesy as fuck though.
I get it, still doesn't make them a sport. But I'd pose as a sport too if I'm getting 1 billion dollars. Run me my money! But yeah, not my cup of tea. I'll try and stick with NWA Power. Good ole lunch pale and work wrasslin'

Dthomp

AEW Preview for 10/16/19:

darby-jericho.webp

womens-title.webp

omepage-pac-kenny.webp

best-friends-scu.webp

jrassic-lucha.webp

A stacked show IMO. Street Fight Stip for Allin/Jericho will help make Darby look good while helping offset 2 very different styles in the ring. Women's Title match should be good, fully expect some type of Bea Priestly involvement. Tag tourney continues, expecting Lucha and SCU to advance here. Looking forward to Dynamite!

Dthomp

I'm more excited that the card doesn't have any 3 star match Cody on for a change...

I'm not a fan of the Bucks style, but I'd be silly to think they aren't EXTREMELY talented. They spent so much time in the indies that I imagine it's going to be a struggle to sell for more then 1/2 a second. I was happy to see them put over Private Party last week.

Last edited:

V2Tommy

I'm more excited that the card doesn't have any 3 star match Cody on for a change...

I'm not a fan of the Bucks style, but I'd be silly to think they aren't EXTREMELY talented. They spent so much time in the indies that I imagine it's going to be a struggle to sell for more then 1/2 a second. I was happy to see them put over Private Party last week.
Can't stand their whole shtick honestly.

Interesting.

We're already at the phase of taking down the top-tier talent of the best wrestling promotion on the planet.

I genuinely let everything slide since I believe we're at the beginning of a Sony-vs.-Nintendo-in-1995 movement of professional wrestling.

Dthomp

Interesting.

We're already at the phase of taking down the top-tier talent of the best wrestling promotion on the planet.

I genuinely let everything slide since I believe we're at the beginning of a Sony-vs.-Nintendo-in-1995 movement of professional wrestling.

My issues isn't a Bucks only thing, I love AEW, but the whole Indy no selling across the board IS an issue in wrestling right now. False finishes all the time and no selling completely take me out of a match. Bucks are some of the worst offenders of this to me. I honestly can't tell if AEW is as good as I think they are, or if the bar is so fucking low from the "WWE style" I've suffered through for years so ANYTHING different feels amazing.

V2Tommy

I honestly can't tell if AEW is as good as I think they are, or if the bar is so fucking low from the "WWE style" I've suffered through for years so ANYTHING different feels amazing.

Interesting take. I often struggle with the idea of Stockholm Syndrome. vs Quality.

I had no idea Darby Allin is hitched to Priscilla Kelly. A lucky man.

I've never been a huge fan of the bucks either, but strangely I do find their superkick party schtick pretty funny and cool. Maybe it's Steve Corino yelling "Superkiccccck!" that does it for me.

chillinggamers_

Neo Member
Kenny Omega is becoming more of an odd character with his facials and the jazz hands routine every time I see him. Also, Cody pushing himself as this HHH type of Main Eventer is weird to see. Maybe I’m missing it but AEW comes off as a good show but nothing mesmerizing. I think you guys should take a break from WWE. I took a break from 07 to 14 and It helped.

Dthomp

For me as of right now (For what I have watched recently)

1. AEW
2. NXT
3. .....
4. .....
5. Raw
6. Friday Night MMA

I love the Young Bucks. I think they’re pretty awesome and it was good to see them putting over Private Party even if I would have liked to seen them becoming the first ever AEW Tag Champs. The Bucks is one of my favorite things in AEW right now. Too bad others don’t share that same sentiment.

Dthomp

I love the Young Bucks. I think they’re pretty awesome and it was good to see them putting over Private Party even if I would have liked to seen them becoming the first ever AEW Tag Champs. The Bucks is one of my favorite things in AEW right now. Too bad others don’t share that same sentiment.

That's the fun of wrestling, everybody has their favorites. Them putting over other teams puts them higher up my list then somebody like Cody going over everybody for no good reason. The problem I have is that I'm afraid the Bucks and Kenny will both be riddled with the dumb losing streak gotta find their edge storyline. Bucks need to improve on the one thing they would have had to work on had they went to NXT and it's selling and pacing. Not every match needs to be 100 MPH with no selling, in fact alot of the AEW guys I worry are going to break down working such an intense style match week in and out as apposed to once or twice a month on the indies.

That's the fun of wrestling, everybody has their favorites. Them putting over other teams puts them higher up my list then somebody like Cody going over everybody for no good reason. The problem I have is that I'm afraid the Bucks and Kenny will both be riddled with the dumb losing streak gotta find their edge storyline. Bucks need to improve on the one thing they would have had to work on had they went to NXT and it's selling and pacing. Not every match needs to be 100 MPH with no selling, in fact alot of the AEW guys I worry are going to break down working such an intense style match week in and out as apposed to once or twice a month on the indies.

I’m not an expert on the Bucks, so yeah, the pacing thing sounds like it might become a problem. I hope they and Omega don’t end up with the losing steak storylines. I am really pissed that they are jobbing out Kenny Omega like they are. The guy gave up the top position in NJPW to come to AEW and he loses every fucking match he’s had. WTF man?

I’m not an expert on the Bucks, so yeah, the pacing thing sounds like it might become a problem. I hope they and Omega don’t end up with the losing steak storylines. I am really pissed that they are jobbing out Kenny Omega like they are. The guy gave up the top position in NJPW to come to AEW and he loses every fucking match he’s had. WTF man?

Isn't he not just a talent, but also involved in the booking somewhat? I know Cody and the Bucks are involved, but unclear on whether Omega is.

Top Bottom