• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

NickFire

I don't see them going back to actual PPV and charging 50 bucks, outside of maybe RR and WM, but even thats a long shot.

WWE just had a horrible quarter, fired their CFO and their stock tanked. So clearly something financially is not going the right direction. So it seems like they want to try and change the network because its been stuck at the same numbers for years and the OTT market is getting saturated.

We have to see what kind of deal they can come up with, but since the mentioned partnering with other OTT services, and they have been testing a free network, this is the way I see things going.

Maybe they make it a value add, like get Peacock and pay 5.99 for network PPV's or something. I don't know. But I think we will see a free version of the Network without PPV's and then some version of the Network attached to another OTT service.

Keep in mind NBC owns USA, so WWE programming on Peacock makes a ton of sense, and live programming can give the service something unique that Netflix/Disney/WB/Amazon don't have. Its all about the $$$ for WWE. they sold their souls for sweet Saudi blood money. So if they can sign some sort of licensing deal with another OTT for X $ for X amount of PPV's over X years i think it probably makes more financial sense then hoping network subs will jump up to 5 million all of a sudden. Its not happening. So gotta find another way to monetize the content.
I don't share your optimism because publicly traded companies are always focused on growth, growth, growth, and I'm pretty sure WWE canned two people who were huge network proponents. WWE is not going to sell its content for less than it already makes off it, and I just don't see how a different OTT would make $ by licensing the content that WWE sold directly for $10, without charging much more. I suppose its possible they bank on WWE content drawing in more customers than were drawn to the network, but I tend to doubt anyone will bet on that based on recent ratings reports. Time will tell, but I strongly suspect PPV's will be jacked up in price in a major way soon.

cryptoadam

Banned
I don't share your optimism because publicly traded companies are always focused on growth, growth, growth, and I'm pretty sure WWE canned two people who were huge network proponents. WWE is not going to sell its content for less than it already makes off it, and I just don't see how a different OTT would make $ by licensing the content that WWE sold directly for $10, without charging much more. I suppose its possible they bank on WWE content drawing in more customers than were drawn to the network, but I tend to doubt anyone will bet on that based on recent ratings reports. Time will tell, but I strongly suspect PPV's will be jacked up in price in a major way soon.

But is the Network bringing in that much?

1.4 million subs at 10$ = 14 million a year. But I doubt 1.4 mill pay 10 due to all the free months WWE gives off. So lets say 12 million a month x 12=144 Million, round up to 150 million a year from the Network.

If WWE can license its PPVs for 10 million a month that would be 120 million on licensing. Its only about 30 million difference which they could make up with a 5.99 and ad fees from a free version. If they could get NBC to pay 600 Million for 5 years of "PPV" streaming content, and sell WM for lets say 150 Million over 5 years thats 750 Million guranteed for the next 5 years. Network is not going to excperience growth. To investors bringing in 3/4's of a billion dollars looks much better than 1.3 million subscribers for the next 5 years. Network just isn't growing.

NickFire

But is the Network bringing in that much?

1.4 million subs at 10$ = 14 million a year. But I doubt 1.4 mill pay 10 due to all the free months WWE gives off. So lets say 12 million a month x 12=144 Million, round up to 150 million a year from the Network.

If WWE can license its PPVs for 10 million a month that would be 120 million on licensing. Its only about 30 million difference which they could make up with a 5.99 and ad fees from a free version. If they could get NBC to pay 600 Million for 5 years of "PPV" streaming content, and sell WM for lets say 150 Million over 5 years thats 750 Million guranteed for the next 5 years. Network is not going to excperience growth. To investors bringing in 3/4's of a billion dollars looks much better than 1.3 million subscribers for the next 5 years. Network just isn't growing.
I get why WWE shareholders want it. But the companies paying that much for the content are not going to just include it in some basic tiered service we could already subscribe to for around 10 a month, IMO. They will be looking to profit, which is why I expect them to charge 50 a PPV or more.

cryptoadam

Banned
I get why WWE shareholders want it. But the companies paying that much for the content are not going to just include it in some basic tiered service we could already subscribe to for around 10 a month, IMO. They will be looking to profit, which is why I expect them to charge 50 a PPV or more.

50$ no. That would mean WWE isn't going OTT and just going back to a straight PPV model which I don't see.

NOw its possible they sell the rights to NBC U, who charge 4.99 for the "WWE package" add on to Peacock. Or sell it to ESPN+ which charges 4.99 etc....

Or an OTT service could really see the value in live "sports" programming and offer it included in their service.

The Network is just not showing growth. Its been years and they can't even maitain 2 million subscribers. How else can you grow your revenues? TV deal already locked in. Blood money already being squeezed. They can't add more live gates which are down anyways.

So why run a Network with less than 1.5 million subs with no growth? Free tier means more eyeballs and engagement and social media numbers. Ads can be added for revenue. And license the PPV's for more guranteed money. Maybe they only license the big 4 and keep the smaller ones on the network. Maybe just NXT ones stay on the network and they increase UK ones.

There are a lot of options but it comes down to if they can find any partners. If no one will pay for the PPV licensing then I see them staying the course. But it sounds like they want to partner with another service and get money from licensing their content. The 2 most valuable things they have is the PPV's and RAW/SDL. Since NBC owns USA i don't know if they would have to pay for streaming rights, but I could see WWE trying to get NBC to stream RAW on Peacock and get some money out of that.

NickFire

50$ no. That would mean WWE isn't going OTT and just going back to a straight PPV model which I don't see.

NOw its possible they sell the rights to NBC U, who charge 4.99 for the "WWE package" add on to Peacock. Or sell it to ESPN+ which charges 4.99 etc....

Or an OTT service could really see the value in live "sports" programming and offer it included in their service.

The Network is just not showing growth. Its been years and they can't even maitain 2 million subscribers. How else can you grow your revenues? TV deal already locked in. Blood money already being squeezed. They can't add more live gates which are down anyways.

So why run a Network with less than 1.5 million subs with no growth? Free tier means more eyeballs and engagement and social media numbers. Ads can be added for revenue. And license the PPV's for more guranteed money. Maybe they only license the big 4 and keep the smaller ones on the network. Maybe just NXT ones stay on the network and they increase UK ones.

There are a lot of options but it comes down to if they can find any partners. If no one will pay for the PPV licensing then I see them staying the course. But it sounds like they want to partner with another service and get money from licensing their content. The 2 most valuable things they have is the PPV's and RAW/SDL. Since NBC owns USA i don't know if they would have to pay for streaming rights, but I could see WWE trying to get NBC to stream RAW on Peacock and get some money out of that.
If things turn out like you expect I will probably be happy. But I really don't it working out that way, and expect they will try to treat PPV's like UFC fights. Hope I'm wrong, but doubt it.

DKehoe

Peacock seems the most likely destination, especially with Bonnie Hammer having been involved with it. I guess DAZN and perhaps ESPN+ would be other options. WWE wants something like the deal UFC got from ESPN+. I wonder if them already devaluing their PPVS to 9.99 makes them a tougher sell though since the streaming service can't have the advantage of being able to market what a great saving it is to go from the PPV price to the streaming price.

cryptoadam

Banned
If things turn out like you expect I will probably be happy. But I really don't it working out that way, and expect they will try to treat PPV's like UFC fights. Hope I'm wrong, but doubt it.

I can't see them every charging 50$ a PPV again. Maybe for WM and RR. But no way for a HITC or Money in the Bank.

They can't do 20 PPVs at 50 bucks a pop (12 WWE + 2 saudi Shows + 6 NXT PPV). They aren't that stupid to see it would be a disaster.

NickFire

I can't see them every charging 50$ a PPV again. Maybe for WM and RR. But no way for a HITC or Money in the Bank.

They can't do 20 PPVs at 50 bucks a pop (12 WWE + 2 saudi Shows + 6 NXT PPV). They aren't that stupid to see it would be a disaster.
I've got two partial sentences for you.

1) Several years of pushing John Cena without changing his shtick;
2) Same thing with Roman.

Womp womp womp.

:messenger_sunglasses:

Hinedorf

Banned
I've got two partial sentences for you.

1) Several years of pushing John Cena without changing his shtick;
2) Same thing with Roman.

Womp womp womp.

:messenger_sunglasses:

Totally agree with you but neither John Cena nor Roman are the problem, their characters for the most part just suck. I actually like Cena now that he seems to not take himself so seriously but Roman has very limited creativity as a character.

The bigger star who hasn't changed at all is exactly why fans tuned out, Brock Lesnar. You cannot put the belt on somebody who doesn't show up every week and still earn the respect of your audience.

You want subscribers to pay every month, you want fans to tune in every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday...... but you don't expect your biggest draw to be there? You don't expect the person the entire creative story line is built around to not be present. AND WHEN HE IS...... he stands there bouncing up and down laughing not even saying a word letting Heyman do all the talking. A dude who shows up once a month and doesn't even talk on the mic.....does that sound like somebody who's going to drive ratings to you? But in reality that's what Lesnar's entire career has been.

How many more years of this Brock shit can WWE honestly sustain because the whole gimmick has felt like Vince trolling fans by letting Brock continually kill any rival that would've driven change in story. The first time I ever found him interesting was this past Rumble and either he's going to completely job to Mcintyre or they're going to bury him just like they've done Roman several times over to once again stagnate any story around the championship.

daemissary

If WWE actually tries to charge more for their PPVs, I’m finally gonna be done with them entirely. At least the main roster, NXT can still get it.

That was an incredible episode of Dynamite. One of the best in months imo. Really feel like they are only gonna get better as disgruntled WWE guys finally get out of their draconian contracts because roster depth is their main issue.

Hinedorf

Banned
If WWE actually tries to charge more for their PPVs, I’m finally gonna be done with them entirely. At least the main roster, NXT can still get it.

That was an incredible episode of Dynamite. One of the best in months imo. Really feel like they are only gonna get better as disgruntled WWE guys finally get out of their draconian contracts because roster depth is their main issue.

I really don't understand putting/keeping the tag team straps on Hangman/Omega. They're single stars and it just devalues all of the tag team performers. I'd like to see the young bucks turn heel and have them screw over Hangman/Omega to take the belts.

daemissary

I really don't understand putting/keeping the tag team straps on Hangman/Omega. They're single stars and it just devalues all of the tag team performers. I'd like to see the young bucks turn heel and have them screw over Hangman/Omega to take the belts.

The Hangman storyline is one of the best things going right now, it doesn’t devalue other tag teams at all when there are two major singles stars put together with a purpose. You know it’s gonna blow up when they lose the belts and they are slowly building tension.

Just compare the nuance in their story to Seth/Buddy Murphy winning the tag straps. It’s like night and day.

In case anyone was offended, it was more of a comment about the dire state of the division. I mean the match was decent. Isn't Kenny the VP in charge?

Last edited:

Bullet Club

-- Ratings are in for Wednesday's installment of the Wednesday Night Wars -- with AEW Dynamite taking the night with an average viewership of 817,000 to NXT's 757,000.

However, the Dynamite number was down 12 percent from last week while NXT dipped by just two percent.

In the 18-49 demo, AEW averaged a 0.3 rating, down 17 percent from last week, good for a 10th place finish on cable. NXT was up nine percent in the demo, averaging a 0.24, putting them 21st.

The NXT demo number represents one of their best showings since their first few weeks, and the gap of 0.6 between the two was the closest the WWE property has been since December 18 when they beat Dynamite.

In addition to people over 50, NXT also had a slight win in females 18-49 with a 0.18 to 0.16 advantage over AEW. Per usual, AEW's strongest category was men 18-49, where they had a 0.41 to 0.28 advantage.

In most other categories, the shows were either tied or within 0.03 of each other.

Miz and Mrs, which immediately followed NXT on USA, was down four percent this week, averaging 457,000 viewers. That was good for 49th on cable in the 18-49 demo with a 0.16 rating.

Here's a look at the last 10 weeks of competition as well as the average in ratings and total viewership for both shows:

Vrxb2HH.png

-- Raw increased eight percent from last week's low level with a show that did the best job of keeping the audience in a long time.

Raw averaged 2.34 million viewers, not far off the 2.40 million for the show the day after the Royal Rumble. But more important was the ratings pattern where for the first time since August 26, the audience grew in the second hour. This isn't unusual during daylight savings time but it is very unusual during standard time, particularly in the winter.

The first hour was up three percent from last week, but the second hour was up 11 percent and third hour was up nine percent.

The first-to-third hour drops were minor -- four percent for women 18-49, five percent for men 18-49, teenage girls increased 14 percent, teenage boys dropped 11 percent, and over 50 dropped six percent.

Raw was first in 18-49 and eighth overall on cable, trailing only news shows on Fox News and MSNBC.

The show was down five percent from the same week last year.

The real story was the growth of teenagers and over 50 in hour number two, which also was stable in 18-49.

In particular, the big winner was Angel Garza, whose match with Cedric Alexander was the high point of the show.

The three hours were:

8 p.m. 2.40 million viewers
9 p.m. 2.41 million viewers
10 p.m. 2.20 million viewers

-- We were able to see a quarter-hour breakdown of last Friday’s edition of Friday Night SmackDown that featured Bill Goldberg’s appearance to challenge The Fiend for a Universal title match.

The show peaked in the first segment with the return of ‘The Dirt Sheet’ with The Miz and John Morrison, who was confronted by the New Day with an average of 2,657,000 viewers.

From 8:15-8:30 pm, it was The Usos vs. The Miz & John Morrison and it fell 150,000 viewers to an average of 2,507,000 viewers.

The next quarter dropped 29,000 viewers with Alexa Bliss and Nikki Cross backstage, a backstage segment with King Corbin, and Elias performing in the ring before the interruption by Sami Zayn and Cesaro.

The 8:45-9:00 pm quarter increased by 31,000 viewers for Elias vs. Cesaro and King Corbin coming out.

9 – 9:15 pm increased by 125,000 viewers to 2,634,000 viewers for Roman Reigns attacking King Corbin followed by Bill Goldberg’s satellite interview and Firefly Fun House segment and the locker room segment with Daniel Bryan and Heath Slater.

The next quarter fell by 52,000 viewers for Bryan vs. Slater, the Braun Strowman interview with Renee Young followed by Zayn and Shinsuke Nakamura attacking Strowman and The Revival joining in.

9:30-9:45 pm dropped another 160,000 viewers for the Otis video with Tucker, Sheamus vs. Apollo Crews, and the start of the women’s four-way main event. This was the lowest quarter of the show with an average of 2,422,000 viewers.

The final quarter increased by 89,000 viewers for the conclusion of the women’s four-way match with Carmella over Alexa Bliss, Dana Brooke, and Naomi.

-- This week's episode of WWE Backstage drew the show's second-best viewership since it premiered in its regular time slot.

Backstage averaged 169,000 viewers on FS1 last night, which was up 74 percent from the 97,000 viewers it did last week. The rating in the 18-49 demo was a 0.06, up from last week's 0.05.

This week's Backstage began at 11:15 p.m. Eastern time and had a strong lead-in. The second and final day of this year's Westminster Dog Show averaged 1.089 million viewers on FS1 and did a 0.17 rating in 18-49.

The Dog Show began at 7:30 p.m. Eastern time and ended when Backstage began.

CM Punk returned to the Backstage panel last night, making his fourth appearance as an analyst. The best viewership the show has averaged in its normal time slot remains the 180,000 viewers it did on November 19, where Punk officially debuted on Backstage after making a surprise appearance the previous week.

Charlotte Flair was the in-studio guest on Backstage last night.

Here's a look at Backstage's viewership since its official premiere:

November 5 -- 49,000 viewers
November 12 -- 100,000 viewers
November 19 -- 180,000 viewers
November 26 -- 121,000 viewers
December 3 --138,000 viewers
December 10 -- 127,000 viewers
December 17 -- 95,000 viewers
December 24 -- 153,000 viewers
December 31 -- 97,000 viewers
January 7 -- 124,000 viewers
January 14 -- 84,000 viewers
January 21 -- 111,000 viewers
January 28 -- 97,000 viewers
February 4 -- 97,000 viewers
February 11 -- 169,000 viewers

Dthomp

What a terrible decision putting the belt on her (Him). This was done for the positive press it will create, and give a terribly ran division some talk. For a womens roster FULL of green talent everywhere, they decide to put the belt on the absolute Greenest of the green in Nyla.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Riho holding the belt for so long, but when all the women getting semi pushes are heels, why put it on Rose? You want a big monster to take it off of Riho, then why not Kong? She at least is mostly safe.

Other then the womens segment, Dynamite was decent, but still suffering from seeing the same 14 guys every single episode.

Bullet Club

HKJGywp.jpg

-- Teddy Hart, former MLW roster member, frequent indie wrestler, and New Hart Foundation member, was arrested Tuesday in Richmond, Virginia, on drug related charges.

The 40-year-old born Edward Annis was charged with possession of a Schedule III narcotic (a Class 1 misdemeanor) and possession with intent to sell or distribute. According to PW Insider, Hart was incarcerated at the Richmond County Jail after being booked at midnight. It's unknown if he has been released on bail, but he does have an April 23rd court date.

Schedule III drugs include codeine, anabolic steroids, hydrocodone, and others in that family.

Hart faces up to a year in jail and up to a $2500 fine for the misdemeanor while the possession with intent charge also carries jail time of between 1-10 years in prison or up to a year in jail with a fine to not exceed $2500.

Hart had really made a name for himself on the indie scene the past few years and was a big part of MLW's relaunch from 2017 through 2019. The company released him in early-December, a month after he came under question due to a Facebook post accusing he and another wrestler with the disappearance of Hart's ex-girlfriend, something he denied.

brap

Banned
Lost all respect for Ken Shamcock for molesting Hoey Ryan's cock. Also that corny pic is fucking hilarious.

NickFire

What a terrible decision putting the belt on her (Him). This was done for the positive press it will create, and give a terribly ran division some talk. For a womens roster FULL of green talent everywhere, they decide to put the belt on the absolute Greenest of the green in Nyla.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Riho holding the belt for so long, but when all the women getting semi pushes are heels, why put it on Rose? You want a big monster to take it off of Riho, then why not Kong? She at least is mostly safe.

Other then the womens segment, Dynamite was decent, but still suffering from seeing the same 14 guys every single episode.
Seems like a cry for attention and I'm having a tough time believing they thought this through. Putting aside my aversion to men or people born as men fighting women ever, how do they book this going forward without alienating the same people they hope to draw in by it? For all the immediate platitudes they will get from a segment of the existing audience and people who couldn't care less about pro wrestling, what happens if a challenger's push is perceived as overcoming the natural adversity a woman faces when fighting a man? Spoiler alert - a massive percentage of the people who think this is wonderful will suddenly accuse AEW of being bigoted transphobes, with calls to boycott, etc. I suppose that could be what they are aiming for (controversy can sell well), but I'm doubtful because AEW does not strike me as a strong enough brand yet for advertisers to resist the twitter boycott calls if they go that route.

DKehoe

I thought they should have put it on Nyla to begin with. And that’s nothing to do with her being trans. If you are establishing a women’s division filled with people most of your audience hasn’t heard of then having the big powerhouse be your champion to establish the belt is a good move. You make her a monster that crushes everyone until you build someone up to beat her. Simple booking that doesn’t require a lot of existing knowledge from your audience.

Also Kong has other commitments and is pretty physically limited these days. So she’s not really an option.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Who said boomers weren't based?

Clown world indeed.

King of the mountain is just a saying. He wasn't misgendering her for gods sake. It just means she is at the top of her game.

Even in victory they have to look for defeat. Instead of celebrating this someone needs to be torn down.

Dthomp

Clown world indeed.

King of the mountain is just a saying. He wasn't misgendering her for gods sake. It just means she is at the top of her game.

Even in victory they have to look for defeat. Instead of celebrating this someone needs to be torn down.

I saw that pop up yesterday and figured they'd throw a giant fit. Those types don't want to celebrate their victories, they just want to tear down others. Almost like they act the exact opposite of the way they want to be treated.

Like you said, that is just a saying and something I'm sure JR has said for 30 years, so lets just put down our fucking phones and internet pitchforks and just agree that Nyla is a trash tier wrestler. If she/he was a normal sized female, they'd be Eva Marie for her level of skill. Let that sink in...

cryptoadam

Banned
I saw that pop up yesterday and figured they'd throw a giant fit. Those types don't want to celebrate their victories, they just want to tear down others. Almost like they act the exact opposite of the way they want to be treated.

Like you said, that is just a saying and something I'm sure JR has said for 30 years, so lets just put down our fucking phones and internet pitchforks and just agree that Nyla is a trash tier wrestler. If she/he was a normal sized female, they'd be Eva Marie for her level of skill. Let that sink in...

Or if she didn't transition she wouldn't be anywhere near a title, and probably not even AEW.

daemissary

Fired up to go to Takeover Portland today. This is basically the biggest wrestling event we’ve had here since...ever...so the crowd should be hot.

cryptoadam

Banned
Takeover tonight, should be another great night of Wrestling from NXT.

UE is losing tonight.
Balor/Gargano tough to call. I think goes to Balor but I can also see Gargano winning, I would say fuck finish but I might save that for later
I think Kai takes it over Nox and the feud continues.
Lee retains. The bigger question is what kind of crazy cruiserweight moves are these two guys going to bust out. How do you top a top rope spanish fly and avalanche destroyer? They should of made this a ladder match
Rhea will win. They may set up a triple threat, but I still think we are getting Flair v Ripley at Mania, and Charlotte getting her 1 on 1 match.
Cole retains. I don't think its time for him to lose the belt just yet. I will play my fuck finish card here. Or they are saving the title change for TV to pop a rating against AEW.

daemissary

Takeover tonight, should be another great night of Wrestling from NXT.

UE is losing tonight.
Balor/Gargano tough to call. I think goes to Balor but I can also see Gargano winning, I would say fuck finish but I might save that for later
I think Kai takes it over Nox and the feud continues.
Lee retains. The bigger question is what kind of crazy cruiserweight moves are these two guys going to bust out. How do you top a top rope spanish fly and avalanche destroyer? They should of made this a ladder match
Rhea will win. They may set up a triple threat, but I still think we are getting Flair v Ripley at Mania, and Charlotte getting her 1 on 1 match.
Cole retains. I don't think its time for him to lose the belt just yet. I will play my fuck finish card here. Or they are saving the title change for TV to pop a rating against AEW.

I hope we get a Bianca/Rhea/Charlotte triple threat. Bianca deserves better than to just be a stepping stone to a Rhea/Charlotte 1 on 1 match.

Dthomp

Why on earth does the WWE employ Sam? He's beyond awful on these things, and honestly they have like 200 "preshow" types who can talk.

cryptoadam

Banned
So predicted everything right. Hire me Hunter LOL.

Good Takeover but I kinda zoned out at the end. Not sure how I feel about a Gargano heel turn, but I guess this is kinda the feud that gets both guys on the card at the big show at WM weekend.

I want to see the Broserweights feud with NXT UK teams. GYV or Imperium, even Gallus would all be awesome matches.

Top Bottom