• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

dave_d

Getting quiet in here. Cheers to Bobby Lashley getting the title, and I enjoyed the Miz's antics trying to avoid the match. I don't care what people say, Miz still delivers as long as we aren't expecting more than what he is.

Also cheers to MVP. I don't think its a stretch to say he has elevated more guys in the past year or so than anyone else in the industry. The Hurt Business is booming.
I always found it weird how Cornette doesn't get Miz's character even though a chicken-shit heel is a classic character. (And he is good at it. Plus he's pretty much the best good will ambassador they have at the moment. Although that's not as important with so many talk shows being remote.) Also Cheers to Lashley.

NickFire

I always found it weird how Cornette doesn't get Miz's character even though a chicken-shit heel is a classic character. (And he is good at it. Plus he's pretty much the best good will ambassador they have at the moment. Although that's not as important with so many talk shows being remote.) Also Cheers to Lashley.
I kind of blame Vince for the negative reactions every chicken shit heel gets these days. Miz is a perfect example of someone who is good at it, and who the role makes sense for. But the role itself has been watered down into absurdity. Like clockwork, someone who dominates as a face ends up a chicken shit heel in WWE. And it drives people nuts and just makes them lose all interest in any of them.

dave_d

I kind of blame Vince for the negative reactions every chicken shit heel gets these days. Miz is a perfect example of someone who is good at it, and who the role makes sense for. But the role itself has been watered down into absurdity. Like clockwork, someone who dominates as a face ends up a chicken shit heel in WWE. And it drives people nuts and just makes them lose all interest in any of them.
True with the average fan. But the thing is Cornette is a literal historian of Pro-Wrestling. You'd think the one guy that could appreciate that character would be him since there's tons of wrestlers doing that roll successfully in the past.(Lawler, Flair, Andy Kaufman) Miz is good at that and I actually like seeing someone be something other than a cool or monster heel.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Getting quiet in here. Cheers to Bobby Lashley getting the title, and I enjoyed the Miz's antics trying to avoid the match. I don't care what people say, Miz still delivers as long as we aren't expecting more than what he is.

Also cheers to MVP. I don't think its a stretch to say he has elevated more guys in the past year or so than anyone else in the industry. The Hurt Business is booming.

Have to say seeing Lashley with the win hitting my news cycle was very weird in a good way. Its kinda bold and out there but I dont expect WWE to do anything with it.

I havent been keeping up with AEW but I will be watching REvolutonthis sunday with some friends.

Dthomp

So nxt is moving to Tuesday nights? Won't that free up AEW to potentially finally gain some ground?

This is two fold. NXT was regularly getting spanked by AEW in the ratings so I think this move was coming anyway to try and save face for the brand. With the peacock deal, ratings don't matter anymore, just content so having it on another night instead of against AEW gives them the thought process that people that normally watch AEW will tune in Tuesday now to watch their show also.

Agent X

On tonight's episode of AEW Dynamite, Paul Wight was interviewed by Tony Schiavone. Wight stated that he had a "scoop" on a major signing of someone with a "Hall of Fame worthy career", which will be officially revealed Sunday at the AEW Revolution event.

shoplifter

On tonight's episode of AEW Dynamite, Paul Wight was interviewed by Tony Schiavone. Wight stated that he had a "scoop" on a major signing of someone with a "Hall of Fame worthy career", which will be officially revealed Sunday at the AEW Revolution event.

Who the hell knows, I'm tempering my expectations.

On another note, the match with Shaq was about 100x better than it should have been. Everyone involved didn't try to do more than they were capable of, and it was genuinely fun. Jade Cargill is going to be a big star if she improves in the ring. She looked green, but didn't expose herself really.

dave_d

I hope they're not turning him into 1990's Mean Gene.

Agent X

On another note, the match with Shaq was about 100x better than it should have been. Everyone involved didn't try to do more than they were capable of, and it was genuinely fun. Jade Cargill is going to be a big star if she improves in the ring. She looked green, but didn't expose herself really.

I agree, it was an enjoyable match. Shaq might be moonlighting as a magician, considering the disappearing act that he pulled at the end!

I was also surprised to see Tully Blanchard in fairly good form, considering his age (67 years old). He's still got it!

Regarding the surprise signing, the most obvious choice (and one that would surely make shockwaves) is CM Punk.

Christian? He left the e before.

That thought crossed my mind, also.

I'm leaning towards either Mick Foley or Kurt Angle. Rob Van Dam is another possibility, or maybe even Kane. We'll soon see.

Dthomp

Hmm. The signing angle might be the thing that pushes me over the edge to order Revolution. The card is a little lackluster to me, and I have no interest in giving them rating or what not for Trash Hardcore Main Event.

I can't imagine Tony Khan is so much a mark that he'd think people would care about Christian, Angle (Hurts to watch him walk), or any other old guy. For that push, it needs to be a performer who can go so that really only leaves the likes of CM Punk, Brock Lesnar, or even more unlikely Batista.

I think it's gotta be a big former WWE guy, cause you wouldn't use Big Show to promote a big signing from ROH or Impact.

shoplifter

I have no interest in giving them rating or what not for Trash Hardcore Main Event.
I suspect this is going to be a psychology heavy match, rather than a straight up garbage fest.

Shaq is Kazaam. Of course he can disappear, he’s a fucking genie.

Dthomp

I suspect this is going to be a psychology heavy match, rather than a straight up garbage fest.

Shaq is Kazaam. Of course he can disappear, he’s a fucking genie.

I hope you're right, I just always fear that quote Kenny gave about needing to prove he's the best at every type of match, and it's just not true. Dudes only wrestle that trash crap when they aren't good enough to make it to a real wrestling promotion. There is a reason most ECW guys left the first chance they got to go to WWE or WCW back in the day.

I'm worried that we are going to have so much fuckery with that stipulation and main event with all the moving parts right now.

shoplifter

Dudes only wrestle that trash crap when they aren't good enough to make it to a real wrestling promotion.

I see why you'd think that, and in a lot of cases it's true, but a really well worked FMW/Big Japan style match *can* be great. There are plenty of opportunities to create tension and create a story. I think it's fair to say that a lot of them are just violence for it's own sake, though.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Hmm. The signing angle might be the thing that pushes me over the edge to order Revolution. The card is a little lackluster to me, and I have no interest in giving them rating or what not for Trash Hardcore Main Event.

I can't imagine Tony Khan is so much a mark that he'd think people would care about Christian, Angle (Hurts to watch him walk), or any other old guy. For that push, it needs to be a performer who can go so that really only leaves the likes of CM Punk, Brock Lesnar, or even more unlikely Batista.

I think it's gotta be a big former WWE guy, cause you wouldn't use Big Show to promote a big signing from ROH or Impact.
Watch it be Mark Henry lol. He did said he'd be having another match in about 6 months or so

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'd love it to be Bobby Roode. He may not be hall of fame worthy but hes a favorite of mine who hasn't gotten a fair shake in the wwe.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I actually would like to see Christian in AEW. I dont think it'll change the landscape of wresting or anything but I always enjoyed him far more in TNA than WWE. WWE just never really gave him a chance.

shoplifter

I actually would like to see Christian in AEW. I dont think it'll change the landscape of wresting or anything but I always enjoyed him far more in TNA than WWE. WWE just never really gave him a chance.

Yeah, he'd be good but he's not a draw. I'd never book him at the top of the card at this point.

My money is on Lesnar if it's really a 'top guy' signing. He will get eyes on the product now that they're unopposed, and he doesn't need to be on TV every week with how AEW books the top of the card. He doesn't have any particular loyalty to Vince either.

NickFire

Who the hell knows, I'm tempering my expectations.

I was shocked by how well Shaq's match went, and you are 100% right about everyone sticking to their capabilities and making it fun. I expected a train wreck and came away really impressed by Shaq's performance and the match booking. It was brilliant.

dave_d

Have they confirmed if it's a current wrestler or not? I mean a hall of fame worthy career could include Michael Cole or Jerry Lawler.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah, he'd be good but he's not a draw. I'd never book him at the top of the card at this point.

My money is on Lesnar if it's really a 'top guy' signing. He will get eyes on the product now that they're unopposed, and he doesn't need to be on TV every week with how AEW books the top of the card. He doesn't have any particular loyalty to Vince either.

I just don't see lesnar not using an offer from AEW to get even more money from Vince.

Personally Osprey would be my dream guy in AEW but I believe he's still under NJPW.

Dthomp

Pretty sure it was confirmed Christian did sign an extension around Rumble time, so at least it's not him. I'm really starting to fear that it is Angle. He's beyond washed up, and honestly, he could barely cut a bad promo at the end in WWE fumbling his words. So unless they worked some type of deal with Punk and he's just trolling about it, I just don't see a world where this isn't a disappointment cause there just doesn't seem a world where Brock would turn down the WWE being able to go above and beyond an offer, Batista is old, and Cena just isn't leaving that umbrella. UNLESS this is Punk, Brock, or Cena, this was overhyped.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Pretty sure it was confirmed Christian did sign an extension around Rumble time, so at least it's not him. I'm really starting to fear that it is Angle. He's beyond washed up, and honestly, he could barely cut a bad promo at the end in WWE fumbling his words. So unless they worked some type of deal with Punk and he's just trolling about it, I just don't see a world where this isn't a disappointment cause there just doesn't seem a world where Brock would turn down the WWE being able to go above and beyond an offer, Batista is old, and Cena just isn't leaving that umbrella. UNLESS this is Punk, Brock, or Cena, this was overhyped.
I never need bod', how could I be scared of a man?
I walk through this land like I run this land
Never can you imagine the pain that I bring
If I said I'mma do it in the streets it's the same
It's the K-I-N, G in here
Wildest man in the world and I have no fear
I'm the mean in the mean, the nightmare dream
The root of all evil, the weak fear me, yeah!

Agent X

CM Punk already said it isn't him...which means that it probably is him. ;)

I doubt it would be either Brock Lesnar or John Cena, for reasons you and others have already mentioned. Mark Henry sure seems like a possibility.

I wonder if it could be a retired wrestler in an on-screen but non-athletic role, such as manager or commentator. If so, then I could see someone like Bret Hart inking a deal.

dave_d

I doubt it would be either Brock Lesnar or John Cena, for reasons you and others have already mentioned. Mark Henry sure seems like a possibility.

I wonder if it could be a retired wrestler in an on-screen but non-athletic role, such as manager or commentator. If so, then I could see someone like Bret Hart inking a deal.
Well in that case I know who it couldn't be. It wouldn't be Terry Funk because he isn't retired. :messenger_grinning:

shoplifter

God bless you, Kenneth Omega. I love me some god damned FMW carnage.

PlwpPDM.png
ofqCxgM.jpg

Dthomp

I've seen Henry mentioned, but I wouldn't consider his career HoF levels tbh. He had one good stretch as a main event champion (Kind of), and maybe 1 entertaining stretch as Sexual Chocolate (Still not a good anything though at that point).

I'm just going to assume Angle and hope to god I'm wrong. They have so many old timers already and unless he was showing up as a way to introduce Chad Gable I don't want him there.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Oh no. I don't want to see this. It hurt just seeing him walk to ring during his last run

I love Angle but he's done. There's nothing that can beat him jumping ship and headbutting Samoa Joe while still being able to go.
There's no recreating this hype

Last edited:
Top Bottom