• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

cr0w

Old Member
Damn good WM overall. Dollars to donuts the main event issues were from Rousey still being too green to work a match that's called on the fly.

Paracelsus

Garbage main event. Pure trash, full of botches and poor decisions and build up. This was a case of one awesome wrestler, one mediocre wrestler and one rookie in the ring together, bad mesh.

People on resetera calling people incels if you dare speak ill of the match - not all, just one or two insane people.

Even reddit isn't afraid to criticize the match, they're just happy they got the finishes they wanted. This is a Black Panther situation.
That aside, it's not a secret Becky is a poor wrestler, Charlotte is a solid wrestler with some size issues (maybe it was awkward to wrestle two midgets and it led to some selling delays) and Ronda is a rookie with plenty potential. The match was sloppy.

Last edited:
The argument I see on Reddit is that they'll continue to parlay the main event finish (and its botch) as a point of controversy to continue the feud--which, if true, is a fucking terrible idea. You need closure at the end of your biggest show, not a shitfest that leaves many unsatisfied. Maybe if it wasn't the main event, sure, but not if it's how you want to close the show.

Paracelsus

The argument I see on Reddit is that they'll continue to parlay the main event finish (and its botch) as a point of controversy to continue the feud--which, if true, is a fucking terrible idea. You need closure at the end of your biggest show, not a shitfest that leaves many unsatisfied. Maybe if it wasn't the main event, sure, but not if it's how you want to close the show.

That's exactly what happened. Whether the original plan was to pin Charlotte and they changed it because Flair cried to Vince or they still meant to have her pinned but Ronda and Becky botched, the idea was guaranteed to protect Ronda from being pinned clean by someone that is nowhere near as legit as she is. No way they ever meant for Becky to go over Ronda clean, much less for Ronda to allow it to happen.
Hell, Brock buried the whole universe for almost seven years and he still lost with a low blow and three finishers.

That's exactly what happened. Whether the original plan was to pin Charlotte and they changed it because Flair cried to Vince or they still meant to have her pinned but Ronda and Becky botched, the idea was guaranteed to protect Ronda from being pinned clean by someone that is nowhere near as legit as she is. No way they ever meant for Becky to go over Ronda clean, much less for Ronda to allow it to happen.
Hell, Brock buried the whole universe for almost seven years and he still lost with a low blow and three finishers.

But Brock is vulnerable to low blows--we've seen that for a while now lol. Besides, when they guy is supposed to be the "beast incarnate," you're gonna need some extensive measures to take that guy down.

With Rousey......it's weird, maybe it's just a neanderthal mindset of mine, but I get the gut feeling that competitors other than Brock can maybe take him in a legit fight, I don't get any sort of vibe like that from any of the women up against Rousey. And that limits what can be done story-wise.

Bullet Club

Fuck me that was a long show.

Pretty good show overall. I didn't mind the main event even though it was fairly sloppy. Kofi winning was great. Corbin winning is fucking joke.

Wait.....why does Becky's shirt say "The Man"? I haven't watched it like a year.

Becky started calling herself during her feud with Charlotte last year to annoy her and to take the piss out of Ric.

NickFire

I enjoyed it a lot more than expected. Did not watch the kickoff show though, and did some chores during filler matches. That certainly helped keep my interest after 11 PM. Couple quick thoughts:

1) Becky pinning RR. I question if that finish was really botched, and actually thought it was pretty good. If RR sticks around or returns, the angle is already written. And I kind of like that Flair did not take the pin or submission. Totally expected her to when she was added, and her character deserves protection as much as RR IMHO.

2) Unexpectedly, I actually found myself rooting for Kofi and enjoying the post-match. I'm hoping he is able to use title to build confidence on mike and deliver some compelling promo's now. I've never really heard a Kofi promo and felt like I cared afterwards yet.

3) SR and Brock was great. The way Seth won was very believable based on how they have both been booked to date.

4) HHH intro was cool, and the match was not bad either.

5) CENA --> I loved it even though I couldn't understand the Mass guy in the Yankees shirt. That aside, the into and throwback character were really cool and unexpected.

6) Shane winning - second lowest point of show for me. Don't care about future storylines with Shane as competitor.

7) Roman winning was low point. So happy for Roman making a recovery so fast, and not mad that Roman went over. Just disappointing that it was over DM. DM is the untapped shining star IMHO. The match could have been the statement match that there's a new "beast" in town.

TrainedRage

Banned
As much as I have liked WWE in the past. I can't justify having the network when all I care about is NXT takeovers.

Gonna be canceling my sub to WWE and NJPW.

I'm just burnt out and let down.

kunonabi

not the worst wrestlemania but a lot of missed opportunities.

-Rollins beating Lesnar with just a low blow and three curbstomps was nonsensical and I would have much preferred an actual match between the two.

-AJ and Orton was decent but ended right when it was picking up

-Tag match was entertaining but ultimately just pointless. SD tag division is just spinning its wheels.

-Kofi and Bryan was easily the match of the night and the only one that felt like a WrestleMania match

-Women's tag was meh

-Kurt Angle went out on his back, unlike that selfish prat Trish, but Corbin was just the wrong opponent.

-Mysterio and Joe was filler

-Lashley and Balor could have been special with more time. Lashley seemed really into it but his career in WWE is just done at this point.

- Lol at Roman still not being over

-Miz and Shane was saved by Shane's heel persona.

-HHH and Batista was what you would expect. Went a bit long but it could have been much worse.

-I thought the main event was sloppy as hell and poorly thought out. Having it after such a long night and putting Flair's pointless helicopter entrance and the musical number before just slowed it down even more.

Could have been a great night with some better booking and less filler.

Dthomp

Aren't wrestlers supposed to lose their retirement match? Him wrestling Corbin was a fucking joke to begin with though.

Yes, in the history of wrestling it's usually expected that you put somebody over on your way out. I hate Corbin, like Xpac heat I have for him, but he's young and somebody there likes him. Not alot of good midcard heels that could be in that spot is the problem. WWE has a weird issue that they have all these almost main eventers, like 3 main eventers, and a 100 low midcard jobbers.

Bullet Club

Aren't wrestlers supposed to lose their retirement match? Him wrestling Corbin was a fucking joke to begin with though.
Yes. If he was going to lose it should have been against someone good. Because it was against Corbin he should have won.

daemissary

Yes. If he was going to lose it should have been against someone good. Because it was against Corbin he should have won.

Yuuuup. They should’ve just had Kevin Owens beat the shit outta Corbin and take his place. No one would’ve been pissed about KO beating Angle.

Bullet Club

Nature Boy Kenny Omega
The Young "Rock n Roll Express" Bucks
Cody "Dusty" Rhodes
Chris "Chris Jericho" Jericho

That's rasslin!

Kairi is so cute.

Bullet Club

hmc8jRv.png

DSaSzEQ.png

Evans is/was Archibald Peck on the indies.

cryptoadam

Banned
I can understand Sasha is frustrated, but she comes off a bit selfish to me. I mean looking at the Iconics reaction to winning the title, these ladies worked just as hard as Sasha to get where they are too and winning the title was something that was really emotional for them.

If Hogan or HHH or Nash would of acted like this people would be talking about burying people and politics etc... She has a right to have some frustrations because she has been bounced around with stupid storylines, but she also is a mutli time champion and had a nice run as the first ever WWE womens tag champions.

daemissary

I can understand Sasha is frustrated, but she comes off a bit selfish to me. I mean looking at the Iconics reaction to winning the title, these ladies worked just as hard as Sasha to get where they are too and winning the title was something that was really emotional for them.

If Hogan or HHH or Nash would of acted like this people would be talking about burying people and politics etc... She has a right to have some frustrations because she has been bounced around with stupid storylines, but she also is a mutli time champion and had a nice run as the first ever WWE womens tag champions.

I don’t think it has anything to do with the IIconics whatsoever. You see RD Evans quitting, Road Dogg quitting, Revival being frustrated, and now Sasha...it just seems like Vince is totally losing it and talent shouldn’t put up with horrible management.

I know I wouldn’t put up a boss constantly telling me different things and changing their mind an hour before deadline so I’m not sure why we expect WWE talent to have to put up with that shit either.

cryptoadam

Banned
I don’t think it has anything to do with the IIconics whatsoever. You see RD Evans quitting, Road Dogg quitting, Revival being frustrated, and now Sasha...it just seems like Vince is totally losing it and talent shouldn’t put up with horrible management.

I know I wouldn’t put up a boss constantly telling me different things and changing their mind an hour before deadline so I’m not sure why we expect WWE talent to have to put up with that shit either.

If she is frustrated then I don't have an issue. If you aren't happy at your job go work somewhere else.

My only issue was if the rumors of her being upset about dropping the title was true.

Bullet Club

TO SMACKDOWN:
* Finn Balor
* Lars Sullivan
* Ember Moon
* Bayley
* Kairi Sane
* Buddy Murphy
* Elias
* Roman Reigns
* Mickie James
* Liv Morgan
* Chad Gable
* Apollo Crews

TO RAW:
* The Miz
* Aleister Black
* Ricochet
* War Raiders (As The Viking Experience)
* Andrade (w/Zelina Vega)
* Cedric Alexander
* Rey Mysterio
* The Usos
* Naomi
* Eric Young
* Lacey Evans
* AJ Styles
* EC3
* Eric Young

Nikki Cross & Heavy Machinery weren't picked up by either brand.

NickFire

When Elias was announced I was pretty excited because I like his chances of being in the title picture better on Smackdown than Raw. Roman being added right away put a soft damper on that excitement, but I still like the chances of Elias getting the belt. He deserves to be elevated quickly IMO.

GreatnessRD

Anybody been watching the Dark side of the Ring Documentaries? Absolute joy to watch for me and I hope they continue. Being a late 80s baby, it was informational for me to see about Bruiser Brody. A sure fire, fucked up, unfair way to go, but he has left a lasting impression.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Anybody been watching the Dark side of the Ring Documentaries? Absolute joy to watch for me and I hope they continue. Being a late 80s baby, it was informational for me to see about Bruiser Brody. A sure fire, fucked up, unfair way to go, but he has left a lasting impression.

Abdullah disagreeing with Tony Atlas about how things played out was interesting. You could tell it really pissed Atlas off.

Also, CM Punk returned to wrestling last night:

Top Bottom