• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Ol'Scratch

They keep mentioning her and seth being an item. So that's a possibility. I was thinking they might debut Shayna tonight as guest ref.
Yeah the theory is that they are trying to mainstream the relationship hoping for another Cena - Bella scenario that could be marketed.
Shayna is a rumor too, but for that to work she would have to cost Seth the match and I do not see the belt on Corbin

Bullet Club

Seth on Moxley:

Wzr1wLy.jpg

I dunno, Moxley was pretty upfront in saying that the opportunity given to him by WWE is something he will always be grateful for, and he's appreciative of how many doors his time in WWE opened for him (at least, that's what I remember from the Jericho podcast).

I take issue with Rollins describing it as "taking his ball and going home." Moxley's a grown-ass man and if he decides he'll be happier in a new environment (and hasn't done anything illegal to get out of WWE) I don't see the issue. Sure, it would probably be professional to not trash your employer's internal processes, but it's not like he's a lone voice in criticizing it, is he?

Heyman is set to become Executive Director of Monday Night Raw, while Bischoff will fill the same role for SmackDown Live. Both will report directly to WWE Chairman and CEO Vince McMahon.

So basically nothing will change.

cryptoadam

Banned
So apperantly Omega got all pissed and tweeted some stuff out because WWE is streaming EVOLVE's 10th anniversary show, same night as Fight for the Fallen.

Find it pretty funny that Omega would be so worried about EVOLVE. AEW is drawing 10-15K, while EVOLVE is an indy with no TV and draws 1K on a good night. I think that Omega really shouldn't be worried about EVOLVE, its not like WWE decided to run a PPV or even an NXT show.

NickFire

I dunno, Moxley was pretty upfront in saying that the opportunity given to him by WWE is something he will always be grateful for, and he's appreciative of how many doors his time in WWE opened for him (at least, that's what I remember from the Jericho podcast).

I take issue with Rollins describing it as "taking his ball and going home." Moxley's a grown-ass man and if he decides he'll be happier in a new environment (and hasn't done anything illegal to get out of WWE) I don't see the issue. Sure, it would probably be professional to not trash your employer's internal processes, but it's not like he's a lone voice in criticizing it, is he?
I agree with everything but the possible implication that Moxley's interviews were not professional. He absolutely had to talk from the heart to keep people interested in him IMO, and honestly the way he was used seem pretty unprofessional. So much wasted potential in WWE thanks to their writers. And this is the same company that had a 90 year old woman birth a hand after all.

DKehoe

Gold Member
So apperantly Omega got all pissed and tweeted some stuff out because WWE is streaming EVOLVE's 10th anniversary show, same night as Fight for the Fallen.

Find it pretty funny that Omega would be so worried about EVOLVE. AEW is drawing 10-15K, while EVOLVE is an indy with no TV and draws 1K on a good night. I think that Omega really shouldn't be worried about EVOLVE, its not like WWE decided to run a PPV or even an NXT show.

I would guess it's more about the streaming audience rather than the people there for it live. From his tweet Omega seemed pissed off that the show WWE is trying to undermine is one that's raising money for charity.

I agree with everything but the possible implication that Moxley's interviews were not professional. He absolutely had to talk from the heart to keep people interested in him IMO, and honestly the way he was used seem pretty unprofessional. So much wasted potential in WWE thanks to their writers. And this is the same company that had a 90 year old woman birth a hand after all.

From my memory of the TIJ podcast, it really all circled back to Vince--the man definitely has weird tastes and proclivities that sadly do not seem to match the audience for his product at this time, and he's the one that has final say on what goes out to the audience. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I hope something changes. Heyman in creative role would be huge. But I want Heyman to have full creative freedom. But I know he won't get that...
I give them both 6 months before they're frustrated at the majority of good ideas been either rewritten at the last minute or tossed out all together, and just leave.

cryptoadam

Banned
I would guess it's more about the streaming audience rather than the people there for it live. From his tweet Omega seemed pissed off that the show WWE is trying to undermine is one that's raising money for charity.

that makes no sense though.

Its streaming free on BR live so they aren't making money from "PPV buys". And anyone who bought a ticket or will buy one is not going to change their mind based on a EVOLVE show. So I really don't see how it undermines AEW's event.

And again its EVOLVE. Thats like WWE saying Joey Janella's spring break show is undermining Wrestlemania. AEW sells out 10K + Arean's, EVOLVE gets 1K on a good night at their shows. I would even say EVOLVE is behind companies like PWG/ROH/MLW etc... Its a good indy thats somewhat known, but its kinda far down the list.

This is a big show for EVOLVE and they will get some good exposure on WWE Network, and some indy guys not signed to WWE will probably be streamed to their biggest audience ever. Seems a downer to crap on an indy and indy guys getting some exposure.

DKehoe

Gold Member
that makes no sense though.

Its streaming free on BR live so they aren't making money from "PPV buys". And anyone who bought a ticket or will buy one is not going to change their mind based on a EVOLVE show. So I really don't see how it undermines AEW's event.

And again its EVOLVE. Thats like WWE saying Joey Janella's spring break show is undermining Wrestlemania. AEW sells out 10K + Arean's, EVOLVE gets 1K on a good night at their shows. I would even say EVOLVE is behind companies like PWG/ROH/MLW etc... Its a good indy thats somewhat known, but its kinda far down the list.

This is a big show for EVOLVE and they will get some good exposure on WWE Network, and some indy guys not signed to WWE will probably be streamed to their biggest audience ever. Seems a downer to crap on an indy and indy guys getting some exposure.

It's not totally "free" in the strictest sense. You need to be a subscriber to BR live to get it free. So if WWE can get some of those potential AEW buyers to instead watch the Evolve show with some of their NXT favs then that's a win for them. Personally I'm not too bothered by it because I'll just watch both shows. But WWE suddenly deciding to stream an Evolve show and send their talent to work on it on a day that just happens to coincide with an AEW show is rather petty. Particularly since, as Omega says, the show is raising money for charity.

Eddie Kingston being on the WWE network is cool though.

cryptoadam

Banned
It's not totally "free" in the strictest sense. You need to be a subscriber to BR live to get it free. So if WWE can get some of those potential AEW buyers to instead watch the Evolve show with some of their NXT favs then that's a win for them. Personally I'm not too bothered by it because I'll just watch both shows. But WWE suddenly deciding to stream an Evolve show and send their talent to work on it on a day that just happens to coincide with an AEW show is rather petty. Particularly since, as Omega says, the show is raising money for charity.

Eddie Kingston being on the WWE network is cool though.

but again thats my point, it streaming on WWE network is not effecting the charity at all. Its boy crying wolf to me. If 1 person or 10 million people watch it on BR live it isn't going to raise more money for charity. They already sold the tickets to the event, and I highly doubt someone would be like nah I won't go to an AEW show because EVOLVE is streaming on the Network.

The talent exchange stuff has been happening for a while, EVOLVE shows are actually like 50%+ NXT guys at this point. I doubt that EVOLVE decided recently when their 10th Anniversary show was going to air, they probably had that locked down a while ago. And the show is probably streaming on WWNLive or where EVOLVE streams their IPPV's. WWE has sent out tons of surveys asking about tiers and indy's on the network so I don't see it as petty.

And in the end AEW guys have been firing shots since day 1, so them getting some competition back and then crying about it is kinda babyish. And Omega was "crying", he was really pissed over it. Which like I said really makes me wonder who they think they are competiting with? This isn't an NXT show, or even an NXT UK show. Its not even MLW or PWG. Its EVOLVE. If AEW is worried about EVOLVE then maybe they think they are still an indy and not trying to be the number 2/1 promotion in the US.

EVOLVE would be doing flips if they sold 2K tickets to an event. Meanwhile AEW sells out 10-15K arean's in minutes, with Meltzer saying they could of sold 130K (LOL). Why is Kenny sweating EVOLVE. And if anything Kenny is being petty about an Indy and indy wrestlers getting exposure like this.

This show will have such a minimal impact on AEW. I bet most WWE fans have no idea that its going to air this saturday.

DKehoe

Gold Member
but again thats my point, it streaming on WWE network is not effecting the charity at all. Its boy crying wolf to me. If 1 person or 10 million people watch it on BR live it isn't going to raise more money for charity. They already sold the tickets to the event, and I highly doubt someone would be like nah I won't go to an AEW show because EVOLVE is streaming on the Network.

The talent exchange stuff has been happening for a while, EVOLVE shows are actually like 50%+ NXT guys at this point. I doubt that EVOLVE decided recently when their 10th Anniversary show was going to air, they probably had that locked down a while ago. And the show is probably streaming on WWNLive or where EVOLVE streams their IPPV's. WWE has sent out tons of surveys asking about tiers and indy's on the network so I don't see it as petty.

And in the end AEW guys have been firing shots since day 1, so them getting some competition back and then crying about it is kinda babyish. And Omega was "crying", he was really pissed over it. Which like I said really makes me wonder who they think they are competiting with? This isn't an NXT show, or even an NXT UK show. Its not even MLW or PWG. Its EVOLVE. If AEW is worried about EVOLVE then maybe they think they are still an indy and not trying to be the number 2/1 promotion in the US.

EVOLVE would be doing flips if they sold 2K tickets to an event. Meanwhile AEW sells out 10-15K arean's in minutes, with Meltzer saying they could of sold 130K (LOL). Why is Kenny sweating EVOLVE. And if anything Kenny is being petty about an Indy and indy wrestlers getting exposure like this.

This show will have such a minimal impact on AEW. I bet most WWE fans have no idea that its going to air this saturday.

Yeh I get that. I had wondered if some proceeds from BR Live would go towards it but it being “free” means that’s probably not the case. To be clear I’m not especially on one side or the other on this. I’m all for more good wrestling.

cryptoadam

Banned
Yeh I get that. I had wondered if some proceeds from BR Live would go towards it but it being “free” means that’s probably not the case. To be clear I’m not especially on one side or the other on this. I’m all for more good wrestling.

Its pretty cool EVOLVE will be on the network. Haven't really watched a full show of theirs so it will be cool to see.

AEW has the same situation with All in, where NJPW and NXT UK are running shows the same day (but not time).

They will have to get used to the competition. And this is nothing compared to what we saw in the Monday Night wars with Bischoff giving out results or WWE's Billionaire Ted skits.

Ol'Scratch

Fyterfest Pre-show bitches and hos. Get some life up in here. I swear Jebailey looks like Tommy Dreamer and Walt Flanagan had a son

Ol'Scratch

I do not think it was in any way expected to be close to DoN. This one was free, and even more and what most people chose to totally ignore is that it is tied to a Fighting Game Tournament event.
If you totally ignore that then the pre show would probably not be fun. If you understood it, than you would laugh seeing Alex Jebaily looking like an idiot or a hardcore match using fight sticks and game controllers and sanwa buttons.
The Librarian thing does suck and needs to go as well as the dumb asses of darkness gimmick or whatever the hell that is.
The main card was really good, especially for a free card. A free AEW card easily blew away the last year of WWE full ppvs and will be better than what you will see tonight for damned sure.
Fyt for the Fallen is another FREE event. People expecting the free events to be the same caliber as paid shows are being rather dense.

Brandi Rhodes is the best looking woman in wrestling. God damn Cody is a lucky man.
Easily top few for sure

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

While I hate to do this, think we can name a few others that you'd rank in the upper echelon? Brandi is a gorgeous woman, that goes without saying.
I definitely agree she is, and will post a top 5 of my personal opinion when I get home from work tonight. (Will require research *cough* for science.)

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I enjoyed the show. I hope that Marty comes over. Tbh the librarian stuff is rubbish and it did look a little cheap let thank DoN but overall it’s was great once it started going.

cryptoadam

Banned
Show was decent. Jungle Boy really impressed me. MJF has the tools.

Lucha Bros are nuts and TBH I think they actually carry the YB. Hadokun spot was stupid. It would of made more sense if they actually hit the opponents, so the guys fell over because they were punched int he gut, not because of phantom air. Then the spot would of been great. I actually would of doubled down and had them all do tiger upercuts after LB/Laredo Kid were doubled over from being punched in the gut.

Mox match was a cool hardcore match.

Don't like Cody, and the unprotected chair shot was STUPID. Those days are gone Cody so enough with that BS. You bash WWE for their health care but then take an unprotected chair shote, FU!

Already wrote about Nyla Rose, but I don't buy her at all. The Joshi women are good but need some more polishing, but they are the stars so far of the womens division. Good match but I couldn't get into Nyla's power spots.

Daniels vs Cima was a competent well worked match between two vets, but nothing special and no sizzle on it. It was basically to give CIMA a win so he can job to Omega next month.

Its a tough call but I think that Shayna/Io cage match may have been the best match this week. And Garza/Wylde was right up there. It comes down to how much you like YB spot fest matches.

I think AEW has an audience, but I think their roster has ways to go. The production is actually surprisingly really good, but the roster itself is very indy and thin once you get past Omega/YB/Page. They have some good pieces there like MJF and Jungle Boy and Hangman, but there is still a lot of growth needed.

But hey its only their 2nd show.

Ol'Scratch

Show was decent. Jungle Boy really impressed me. MJF has the tools.

Lucha Bros are nuts and TBH I think they actually carry the YB. Hadokun spot was stupid. It would of made more sense if they actually hit the opponents, so the guys fell over because they were punched int he gut, not because of phantom air. Then the spot would of been great. I actually would of doubled down and had them all do tiger upercuts after LB/Laredo Kid were doubled over from being punched in the gut.

Mox match was a cool hardcore match.

Don't like Cody, and the unprotected chair shot was STUPID. Those days are gone Cody so enough with that BS. You bash WWE for their health care but then take an unprotected chair shote, FU!

Already wrote about Nyla Rose, but I don't buy her at all. The Joshi women are good but need some more polishing, but they are the stars so far of the womens division. Good match but I couldn't get into Nyla's power spots.

Daniels vs Cima was a competent well worked match between two vets, but nothing special and no sizzle on it. It was basically to give CIMA a win so he can job to Omega next month.

Its a tough call but I think that Shayna/Io cage match may have been the best match this week. And Garza/Wylde was right up there. It comes down to how much you like YB spot fest matches.

I think AEW has an audience, but I think their roster has ways to go. The production is actually surprisingly really good, but the roster itself is very indy and thin once you get past Omega/YB/Page. They have some good pieces there like MJF and Jungle Boy and Hangman, but there is still a lot of growth needed.

But hey its only their 2nd show.
The Hadouken spot was a throwback to matches Kenny used to do in the indies around the same time he had matches against 15 year olds and alot of other just fun and not serious matches.
I think it is one of the things that is great about AEW but I have also noted is an issue and that is that people who watch BtE and who have followed Kenny, the Bucks and these indy talents get the jokes and they understand and it is a fantastic throw back. Those people again also can differentiate between a free show at a Fighting Game tournament and a paid marquee event. Those that do not watch BtE and who are new to these talents will be lost.

cryptoadam

Banned
The Hadouken spot was a throwback to matches Kenny used to do in the indies around the same time he had matches against 15 year olds and alot of other just fun and not serious matches.
I think it is one of the things that is great about AEW but I have also noted is an issue and that is that people who watch BtE and who have followed Kenny, the Bucks and these indy talents get the jokes and they understand and it is a fantastic throw back. Those people again also can differentiate between a free show at a Fighting Game tournament and a paid marquee event. Those that do not watch BtE and who are new to these talents will be lost.

Like I said I would of bought the spot more if the hadokuns connected as gut punches. It would of made sense and still been "realistic" in the sense that these guys were knocked down by gut punches not "air".

It was a fighting game tournament so ya it played to the audience and they loved the spot, but it was just to much business exposing for me. It wouldn't of been hard to connect with gut "punches" to at least keep the semblance of this is a "real fight". I mean we had guys doing spanish fly's to the outside and canadian destroyers, and then all of a sudden 3 guys get knocked down by " "air".

Spot would of been way more awesome with hadokun as a gut punch, LB/Laredo Kid kneel over, then 3 Tiger upercuts, which also plays into the whole street fighter thing they had going on. It would be playful but still make sense in supposed hard hitting fight.

Ol'Scratch

While I hate to do this, think we can name a few others that you'd rank in the upper echelon? Brandi is a gorgeous woman, that goes without saying.
Ok almost forgot but here we go and these are in no order.

Brandi Rhoades
Scarlett Bordeaux
Zelina Vega
Yuki Kamifuku
Aj Lee

Last edited:
Ok almost forgot but here we go and these are in no order.

Brandi Rhoades
Scarlett Bordeaux
Zelina Vega
Yuki Kamifuku
Aj Lee

A man of culture.

I firmly believe that Mandy Leon (attitude and lack of wrestling talent aside) is a gorgeous woman, and that Taeler Hendrix pre-...uh, thickening(?) was gorgeous as well (pre-ROH days). And Priscilla Kelly, regardless of what you think of her...uh, antics, is a stunner.

Mina Shirakawa, Makoto and Toni Storm I'd rank pretty high as well.

I personally think it's great that Japan, US, Canada, UK and Australia have all produced women wrestlers who are now on big stages, and can wrestle as well as being easy on the eyes. Shame that WWE's creative really only has the capacity to focus on one woman at a time.

cryptoadam

Banned
With Vince with final say you can't put anything past him, but why would he bring them in, create these positions just to over rule everything they say?

I think Vince knows that WWE is in the dumps right now and he needs to do something. They have tried a bunch of different stuff over the past few months.

So Vince will be Vince, but I feel that he will give Paul and Eric a lot more rope then guys like Roaddogg because if he just wanted more yes man shitting out his scripts he would of just put 2 yes men in place.

How long it lasts well who knows. Vince could blow up at any moment. But with the XFL starting its very possible that Vince will not be able to put as much attention on WWE.

So I think Paul and Eric are going to have a lot of free reign and be able to push back against Vince, because I think that is what he actually wants.

Dthomp

cryptoadam cryptoadam not that I have any reason to believe Vince will change, that’s my hope...is that at the very least I think Paul and Eric are the types that at least can stand up to him and argue against some of his nonsense that the yes men haven’t had the guts to do. I wonder how long of a placebo effect this will have cause Raw this week felt like a much better show (with some Heyman output it sounds, although he’s been helping for a while), SD was just a mess to me this week, but it sounds like Eric isn’t on board til after the next PPV. I mean it isn’t like the product could get any worse so...

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
cryptoadam cryptoadam not that I have any reason to believe Vince will change, that’s my hope...is that at the very least I think Paul and Eric are the types that at least can stand up to him and argue against some of his nonsense that the yes men haven’t had the guts to do. I wonder how long of a placebo effect this will have cause Raw this week felt like a much better show (with some Herman output it sounds, although he’s been helping for a while), SD was just a mess to me this week, but it sounds like Eric isn’t on board til after the next PPV. I mean it isn’t like the product could get any worse so...

Ya I don't know how much Vince will change or how long it will last, but Heyman and Eric don't need the jobs so they won't stand for Vince's BS. I really think he brought them on board because he wants people who will stand up to him and wants to give them some free reign. If not he could just continue with what he is doing and hire more yes men. Now will this last 1 year, 1 month, 1 day? Who knows. WE could see in 2 months from now Heyman and Eric quit out of frustration.

I find the trick with WWE is to watch only the network. Skip RAW and SDL outside of maybe youtube highlights. If you only watch the network you only see the PPV's which aren't that bad, and since you aren't seeing the same match for the 12th time its kinda fresh. And of course you have NXT and NXT UK.

Ohh and can you tell me more about this Herman guy ? :messenger_winking_tongue:

Dthomp

Ugh fucking auto correct wrecks me again. This weeks raw was the first I’ve watched in a really long time. Cancelled my network sub after the last few (for me, below average ppv) and tend to just watch review YouTube vids to keep up with the product without sitting through all those hours of disappointment. I’m hoping for everything to work out, cause as much as I’ve loved AEW thus far, WWE has the far superior roster, they just aren’t used properly. You’ve got Bryan, one of the most over faces, and best heels of the last 10 years in a nothing tag team in the worst tag division, AJ feuding in the mid card, Joe wasting away, KO also, while we have clearly waste time champs in Seth and Kofi taking up the main event. This should be the golden age of wrestling in the WWE, not the trash fire it is

Top Bottom