• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

cryptoadam

Banned
Maybe going forward, but the last two takeovers while good, are getting way to finisher spammy for my tastes. I love Adam Cole, but man his matches with Gargano just didn't click for me.

I think the Gargano/cole feud has kinda worn out its welcome for me, but they are going with the triology. I have to say I really liked Cole last night with hanging his pic in Johnny's families pizza shop, and then going to the same training school Johnny did and telling everyone to just quit. I read the spoilers so I know Cole is going to go even further with this heel schtick.

I still can't hate on Johnny G who has basically carried NXT for like the last 18 months with amazing main event after main event. This should be his sendoff and he should get called up and hopefully Heyman or Eric can utilize him properly.

NXT has a great looking future with Riddle, Lee, Dijack, Priest, and Kushida. That doesn't even include anyone in the break out tournament. 2 matches in and already 3 of the 4 have really impressed me (sorry DJZ but you are 205 live bound and probably the next TJP).

NXT has lost that thing that made it NXT. It is better than WWE but to say that it is the best thing going when NJPW are out there and AEW is almost on tv is a very bold statement

The last few weeks have had some solid main events. Strong vs Breeze was amazing, and Io vs Bazler was eeally damn good. The whole shows havent been as good, but they're still churning out great main events.

Silent Duck

If you don’t think NJPW is the best, Red Shoes has got two words for ya.
qr6x5PO.gif

Ol'Scratch

New Japan G1 Climax 29

Saturday, July 6 kicking off at 6PM Eastern / 3PM Pacific
From Dallas bah gawd funky like a monkey Texas if you weeeeeeell.

Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) vs. Roppongi 3K (SHO & YOH)

Jeff Cobb & Ren Narita vs. Shota Umino & Tomohiro Ishii

Bullet Club (Chase Owens & “Switchblade” Jay White) vs. Chaos (Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI)

Juice Robinson, Jushin Liger, & Toru Yano vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (BUSHI, Shingo Takagi, & Tetsuya Naito)

Lance Archer vs. Will Ospreay

Bad Luck Fale vs. EVIL

SANADA vs. Zack Sabre, Jr.

KENTA vs. Kota Ibushi

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada

FUCKING KENTA VS FUCKING IBUSHI. If Ibushi does not kill Kenta this will be amazing.
Tana vs RAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIN MAAAAAAAKAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH is always worth watching just for this match alone.

Ol'Scratch

Oh yeah and some MLW crappy event tonight live on beIN sports though Dr Wagner is on the card so that is always a plus

Ol'Scratch

Slammiversary Card for tonight
8PM EST PPV/ FITE / USUAL DISREPUTABLE PLACES

- Brian Cage (c) vs. Michael Elgin for the Impact world championship

- Rich Swann (c) vs. Johnny Impact for the X Division championship

- Taya Valkyrie (c) vs. Rosemary vs. Jessicka Havoc vs. Su Yung in a Monster’s Ball match for the Knockouts title

- Tessa Blanchard vs. Sami Callihan

- The North (Ethan Page & Josh Alexander) (c) vs. LAX (Santana & Ortiz) vs. the Rascalz (Dez & Wentz) for the tag team championships

- Moose vs. Rob Van Dam

- Eddie Edwards vs. Killer Kross in a first blood match

- TJP Open Cruiserweight Challenge

Dthomp

How was the fight for the fallen event? I was at a baseball game and didn't watch.

For me, it was ok...i guess. I was really not invested this time around. They need to get to All Out and TV and maybe then I can dig into it better. Just alot of nothing, only caught the end of preshow and main show but the womens tag preshow match was crazy sloppy. I've rewatched Double or Nothing a few times, but these free shows are just that, glorified house shows so worth it if you have the time to kill, but I'm curious how or if it was better or worse then the WWE show they put on.

cryptoadam

Banned
Is it me or are the Joshi AEW ladies a bit overrated. I think they all have some skills but you can see they could use some time in a place like the performance center. Also they are tiny. When its Joshi vs Joshi you don't see it as much but put them with other women and they almost come as little children.

Just find that their moves are always a bit off, cluncky, and a bit slow.

For me, it was ok...i guess. I was really not invested this time around. They need to get to All Out and TV and maybe then I can dig into it better. Just alot of nothing, only caught the end of preshow and main show but the womens tag preshow match was crazy sloppy. I've rewatched Double or Nothing a few times, but these free shows are just that, glorified house shows so worth it if you have the time to kill, but I'm curious how or if it was better or worse then the WWE show they put on.

Apparently Britt Baker got concussed early in the match, which may go a bit towards explaining the sloppiness of the match.

Regarding cryptoadam's post about overrating the joshi, it has some merit. The best joshi that came abroad were snapped up by WWE mostly or have received a lot of rub with the Mae Young classic (with the notable exception of Mayu Iwatani, who technically is still in Japan). Sakazaki and Riho are good, but they are incredibly tiny, which also leads to a comparative effect esp. when you see them alongside the western women.

Also, I don't believe the AEW wrestlers really move and train together as of yet, so right now there isn't a lot of rapport between the wrestlers. While many of the men have crossed each others' paths in the past, it is much less the case with the joshi--I believe the joshi feds are pretty insular by nature. That, in turn, would probably result in chemsitry issues, even before taking language into account.

Ol'Scratch

My prediction from Hell Brock cashes in on Seth causing Becky to lose her belt without Becky losing and without Corbin beating Seth, also causing static between Seth and Becky

Bullet Club

Yeah it was a weak show. Averaged over 3m viewers for the first time in about a year. Doubt many of the extra viewers will watch next week.

Dthomp

How long can they rely on a nostalgia pop?

At some point doesn't it become kinda embarrassing

It’s pure desperation on their part. They sold USA and Fox on how things were on an upswing and the ratings have been trash and will continue to be until something major changes. These stupid reunion shows are their one week bandaid that they drag out as much as they can just to have one good ratings week.

chillinggamers_

Neo Member
AEW has been solid but compared to the NXT Takeovers it doesn't come close. I love the production side of the AEW though. Keith Mitchell has always been really good.

NickFire

I enjoyed the reunion. Would have found a way for the club to 1up the old timers if given choice, but the nostalgia was enjoyable IMO.

Dthomp

AEW has been solid but compared to the NXT Takeovers it doesn't come close. I love the production side of the AEW though. Keith Mitchell has always been really good.

Yeah AEW production has been really good so far, and for me I'd put Double or Nothing right there with an NXT Takeover. I'm trying not to judge the last two free shows since they really just felt like a televised house show, or regular week or Raw/SD to me. My hope is after All Out and when TV hits we start to see shit matter, that's been the only thing for me so far that is lacking. As much as I love a great wrestling match, there needs to be stakes and reasons for the fighting, can't just treat this like the indies anymore, and I hope they kick the shit out of WWE, because they need it. The talent pool is too deep in WWE for the lackluster stories that get told, and sorry to say for fans lackluster champions out of Mania in Kofi and Seth (Brock isn't any better IMO).

DKehoe

Fucking hell, that Okada vs Ospreay match was unreal. Anyone else here seen it?

Ospreay putting on that performance just two days after his (also amazing) match with Ibushi is crazy.

chillinggamers_

Neo Member
Yeah AEW production has been really good so far, and for me I'd put Double or Nothing right there with an NXT Takeover. I'm trying not to judge the last two free shows since they really just felt like a televised house show, or regular week or Raw/SD to me. My hope is after All Out and when TV hits we start to see shit matter, that's been the only thing for me so far that is lacking. As much as I love a great wrestling match, there needs to be stakes and reasons for the fighting, can't just treat this like the indies anymore, and I hope they kick the shit out of WWE, because they need it. The talent pool is too deep in WWE for the lackluster stories that get told, and sorry to say for fans lackluster champions out of Mania in Kofi and Seth (Brock isn't any better IMO).
Yes, they need to focus on story telling. Cody and Dustin was told very well in the short amount of time that they had but for everyone else their development has been pretty stagnant.

OK that Rob Van Damn video is legitimately funny. I miss WWE RVD. Had a great time when WWE came to Korea in 02-ish, the entire arena went "R-V-D!" and it was glorious.

cryptoadam

Banned
That 20 mini promo package/episode/whatever they did for Gargano/Cole 3 was amazing. One of the best things put out by WWE/NXT. I was down on the 3rd match again and another 2 out of 3 falls but that little show just sold me on the match again.

Gargano is probably losing, but he has to be up there as one of the best runs in wrestling over the last 2 or so years. He deserves a chance at the main roster and I would not bet against Johnny Wrestling.

Top Bottom