• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

oagboghi2

To be fair, Swagger should be a big deal. WWE misses on ALOT of talent because Vince doesn't strike a fancy at that moment and buries instead. I still think Balor will be a one off thing for NXT, they don't need a fancy name from Raw or SD, and I am way more excited for Ciampa return then Finn coming back with his tail between his legs after what most would call a failure of a callup (I know his injury sucked and hurt his push), but we all know he got that first run because Roman got busted.
What even is the point of NXT anymore? Does any wrestler want to be called up? Why would you want to leave?

Manus

Yo I was impressed with that woman's title match too. Like I was way more into that than any women's match from WWE.

Dthomp

What even is the point of NXT anymore? Does any wrestler want to be called up? Why would you want to leave?

that's what I'd like to know. Most of these indy guys coming into NXT got close to main roster money and they get to perform in front of what basically could be called a "Piss ant gymnasium" in HHH terms since Full Sail only houses a small crowd of the same fans each week. Why would they ever leave that, knowing that MOST of those guys would get no reaction on the main roster. You get protected, you get to put on "spotfest" matches each week and are crazy protected if they are near the top of the card, and I'm not sure enough dudes in wrestling today have the drive of the 90s guys to be "THE man" on the A show, they are just happy to go out do some flips, hit some MOVEZ, and go back to Fortnite.

cryptoadam

Banned
To be fair, Swagger should be a big deal. WWE misses on ALOT of talent because Vince doesn't strike a fancy at that moment and buries instead. I still think Balor will be a one off thing for NXT, they don't need a fancy name from Raw or SD, and I am way more excited for Ciampa return then Finn coming back with his tail between his legs after what most would call a failure of a callup (I know his injury sucked and hurt his push), but we all know he got that first run because Roman got busted.

Swagger was always midcard, should never have gotten the runs he got in WWE.

Finn for now said he is NXT. I expect him to have a few months run down there. Expect more of this, as guys not doing much on RAW/SD will move over. Asuka is next.

And yes I am very excited for Ciampa.

AEW was good too and if the KISS it by just having wrestling with their over acts the show will do well.

NickFire

I can't stand this ref. Everything she does is so "extra" as the kids would say, and thus she's way too noticable. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I prefer my refs to be nearly invisible until needed for a spot.
So I had the opposite take. The show and/or a particular match had been going on for a while before I realized the ref was a woman (as in, she might have been out for much longer than the one match for all I know). She completely blended in beyond my notice until that point, and I only realized it in passing and not because of anything in particular. Considering I had never noticed a female referee before in wrestling, I'd say she did her job really well with respect to blending in. And honestly, I never once thought she did anything different than every other referee.

Overall, I enjoyed the first show. I was really impressed with the presentation for a new company. I did skip the opening video story about Cody, but would have done the same for any similar WWE video most likely. The actual wrestling was pretty good if I say so myself, and for reasons I'm not sure of I got a real chuckle out of the pin escape during the women's title match (when she kind of stood up from underneath the big lady). Never recalled seeing that move before. And Swagger coming out at the end worked for me. Knowing he's been off in MMA, it really felt like a big signing to me, and not just some has been WWE guy. I'll definitely keep watching, and wish them the best.

But one thing --> I really hope they get some sort of app going for $10 PPV's. I'm ready to invest the time to watch the show and follow the talent. But there's no way I am going back to the pre-WWE network pricing for PPV's.

Bullet Club

Old school ratings talk all over the net, I'm lovin' it!

Xrw0vww.jpg

I thought AEW’s first Dynamite show was pretty good. Hangman/PAC was the best match. The main event was interesting, though. The Young Bucks were on fire. I loved the Moxley got to show up and him putting Omega through that glass table was sick. Nice to see Jack Hager making his AEW debut. I can legit see him main eventing in AEW. He was always a great talent. Just didn’t get the right kind of treatment in WWE.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Finally got caught up with the DVR, watched Dynamite and NXT. Dynamite was much improved over Fyter Fest (only AEW I saw before this), but I enjoyed NXT more. Will still be DVRing both and watching them back-to-back.

oagboghi2

So a journalist(what a shock) at deadspin is trying to get Jack Swagger/Jake Hager cancelled based on a tweet he liked.

cryptoadam

Banned
I don't think they needed the title for this feud. Should of been a DQ instead, but I guess they wanted a title change to make things historic.

So is Brock going to get his win back from Cain LOL. He should of left his shirt on. I would actually have Cain cost Brock the title to add some more sizzle to this feud and Brock does not need the belt, not does Cain need to win the belt either.

cryptoadam

Banned
Just stupid. And the arena chanting AEW LOL.

I mean Foley is thrown off the cell and threw the cell and the match didn't end. You can't expect the marks to buy it sorry VKM.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
concept

survivor series

lesnar vs rollins

bell rings

lights go out

one light shines on the entrance ramp

a carpet slowly rolls itself out

down the ramp all the way to the ring

the spotlight follows it as it rolls out

the spotlight goes out

pyro

5 minutes of pyro

a massive fireworks celebration

then through the smoke walks

big tinder jinder

he has returned

he has the money in the bank briefcase

nobody questions it

michael cole is marking out

he screams "IT'S MAHARAJA TIME!"

jinder smugly, slowly, and confidently makes his way to the ring

rollins and lesnar look terrified

cut backstage to corbin clapping

cut back to the ring

jinder hits lesnar with a khallas

1 2 3

jinder mahal is wwe champion

everyone is celebrating

but not jinder

not yet

he says

wait a moment

and opens his briefcase

inside

another briefcase

he says i'm cashing it in

rollins superkicks him

5 times

jinder is on his knees

15 curbstomps

jinder kicks out at 1

hits him with a khallas

1 2 3

jinder mahal is universal champion

the dual champion big tinder jinder leaves on an albino tiger as the only commentary is michael cole sobbing loudly

Pitbull performs

corner graphic

fade to black

wrestling is over

that is the finale

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Doesn't surprise me to find out that the ending was Vince's call and he was reportedly laughing at the crowd reaction after the show.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Where did you hear this? :eek:

The finish of the Bray Wyatt vs. Seth Rollins match at Hell in a Cell was reportedly a Vince McMahon call and “his sight and vision played out how he wanted it” according to people backstage, Fightful.com is reporting. There was apparently one person that even said Vince was laughing at how fans reacted to the ending

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

You'd think the threat of actual competition would be a bit of a wake up call 🤷‍♂️

Bullet Club

This Shorty Gable stuff is terrible. I imagine "Shorty" is what women call Vince when they see him with his pants down in tanning salons.

NickFire

I would have believed it even if the source was daffy duck caught on a hot mic while inebriated to the point of blackout and with shitty toilet paper dragging from his feathers. Come to think of it, that was basically the ending of the most intriguing match since Lesnar ended the streak.

Absolute garbage ending, both in substance and how it treats the fans. I really hope Vince's voicemail is completely full due to Fox executives who want to discuss the first PPV since the switch, which literally ended with the wrong kind of boos, and chants for a start up company. They can leak whatever stories they want about being happy with the volume of the boos. It will all be bullshit though. That wasn't I hate this character with passion booing. That was straight up this product and company sucks, and everyone in the arena and at home just got ripped off for bothering to care booing.

daemissary

Well I was definitely wrong about it being underwhelming. Could be looked back upon as just as legendarily bad as Sting vs Drunk Jeff Hardy, WWE’s December to Dismember and most of WCW2000.

So I guess we at least got to be a part of history?

cryptoadam

Banned
It would of made sense if Bray was the one trying to kill Seth and have him take out a pair of pliars or some shit and try to pull Seths eyes out so the ref calls for the end of the match. Would of been BS but at least Bray would of been put over as a killer and his Fiend character shouldn't really care about titles anyways. Fiend just wants to cause pain and fear not win titles and drink bubbly.

Instead it was ass backwards with Rollins trying to kill the Fiend and then stopping a match when people have been thrown off and threw cells and matches don't end. Heck HHH has used a sledgy in non-HIAC matches.

WWE needs to bury this PPV and hope everyone forgets about it real quick. Don't have Seth show up tonight. Let Bray cut a promo say all he cares is that he injured Seth and he was coughing up blood and the title means nothing to him, he only cares about Seth's blood thats his title.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
There has been some follow up to the whole Vince laughing stuff according to Fightful

At least one story we heard involved Vince McMahon initially laughing off the reaction that the crowd gave the finish. One high level source said "not exactly" to that degree and that "he took it seriously" and he's "not oblivious." The latter part came when pressed on context, with the source saying that "those people have agendas or are trying to protect themselves from their involvement."

NickFire

It would of made sense if Bray was the one trying to kill Seth and have him take out a pair of pliars or some shit and try to pull Seths eyes out so the ref calls for the end of the match. Would of been BS but at least Bray would of been put over as a killer and his Fiend character shouldn't really care about titles anyways. Fiend just wants to cause pain and fear not win titles and drink bubbly.

Instead it was ass backwards with Rollins trying to kill the Fiend and then stopping a match when people have been thrown off and threw cells and matches don't end. Heck HHH has used a sledgy in non-HIAC matches.

WWE needs to bury this PPV and hope everyone forgets about it real quick. Don't have Seth show up tonight. Let Bray cut a promo say all he cares is that he injured Seth and he was coughing up blood and the title means nothing to him, he only cares about Seth's blood thats his title.
I disagree with it, but you aren't alone in arguing that Fiend doesn't need titles.

I would instead put that title on him. Make him a full blown candyman type of champion. Challenging him for the title (like saying his name 3 times) may result in really bad things for the challenger. Run with that for months or longer, with an eventual demon v. demon match (winner tbd, most likely should be bray as fin is boring compared to bray). Give him a chance to be the main attraction instead of a side attraction. Whether it pops big ratings or not, the momentum and interest he generated the last few months warrants it. Over the top yeah, but over the top if perfectly fine when its organic.

Also, if Vince was really gloating or laughing about the crowd reaction, then I would suggest HHH, Stephanie, and Shane get his head checked out. That was not we hate this character so much we are booing him heat. That was straight up this finish (and company) sucked, we all feel ripped off, and everyone should check out a new company reaction. That finish legitimately turned the best story they had for years, into an advertisement for a start up company.

Dthomp

Man, I'd bowed out from the thread for a few days as I had to catch up on DVR and didn't want spoilers, but this was one of the WORST weeks of WWE programming, in history (Maybe NXT was good, I just skimmed results).

Raw was awful, and ends with ..... Rusevs RL wife making out with Lashley? While I'm glad the belt came off of Kofi, what was the point of giving him wins over legit guys who will stay in the main event if the plan was just a squash anyway? Didn't give any care about Cain cause I didn't know who the fuck he was, all I thought was this dude needs to hit the gym. The worst part was resubbing to the network thinking, Bray gonna get a legit title run....and that clusterfuck of a match. Bray should come off strong, not stronger then 15 Brock Lesnars. Everything about that main event was stupid, like WCW 2000s levels of stupid. PPV was obviously a throw away since we have the draft to break the rosters again, except for the womens tags?....cause reasons? Not gonna comment on Gable, cause fuck everything they have done to him...and why is this feud still a thing?

No surprise that Vince probably loved it...he's stupid. This isn't new anymore. Dude likely should have been pushed out by a board of directors a LONG time ago.

Looking forward to AEW again, although not sure I care about Page/Dustin vs. Jericho/Sammi. Page already wrestles a very boring WWE style, along with Dustin and Jericho...I don't need any more WWE in my life.

Top Bottom