• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

NickFire

Man, I'd bowed out from the thread for a few days as I had to catch up on DVR and didn't want spoilers, but this was one of the WORST weeks of WWE programming, in history (Maybe NXT was good, I just skimmed results).

Raw was awful, and ends with ..... Rusevs RL wife making out with Lashley? While I'm glad the belt came off of Kofi, what was the point of giving him wins over legit guys who will stay in the main event if the plan was just a squash anyway? Didn't give any care about Cain cause I didn't know who the fuck he was, all I thought was this dude needs to hit the gym. The worst part was resubbing to the network thinking, Bray gonna get a legit title run....and that clusterfuck of a match. Bray should come off strong, not stronger then 15 Brock Lesnars. Everything about that main event was stupid, like WCW 2000s levels of stupid. PPV was obviously a throw away since we have the draft to break the rosters again, except for the womens tags?....cause reasons? Not gonna comment on Gable, cause fuck everything they have done to him...and why is this feud still a thing?

No surprise that Vince probably loved it...he's stupid. This isn't new anymore. Dude likely should have been pushed out by a board of directors a LONG time ago.

Looking forward to AEW again, although not sure I care about Page/Dustin vs. Jericho/Sammi. Page already wrestles a very boring WWE style, along with Dustin and Jericho...I don't need any more WWE in my life.
If all AEW gives us is logical booking and consistency, I'll take that as a win right now.

cryptoadam

Banned
I disagree with it, but you aren't alone in arguing that Fiend doesn't need titles.

I would instead put that title on him. Make him a full blown candyman type of champion. Challenging him for the title (like saying his name 3 times) may result in really bad things for the challenger. Run with that for months or longer, with an eventual demon v. demon match (winner tbd, most likely should be bray as fin is boring compared to bray). Give him a chance to be the main attraction instead of a side attraction. Whether it pops big ratings or not, the momentum and interest he generated the last few months warrants it. Over the top yeah, but over the top if perfectly fine when its organic.

Also, if Vince was really gloating or laughing about the crowd reaction, then I would suggest HHH, Stephanie, and Shane get his head checked out. That was not we hate this character so much we are booing him heat. That was straight up this finish (and company) sucked, we all feel ripped off, and everyone should check out a new company reaction. That finish legitimately turned the best story they had for years, into an advertisement for a start up company.

I wouldn't have a problem with the Fiend winning, but if they wanted to keep the title of him then its easy to explain it within Kayfabe that he doesn't care about the title only about fear and pain. If they don't want to take the title of Seth but wanted this match then thats you way out, not having the match end because of a sledge hammer. It would of made sense kayfabe. If not put the title on the Fiend and let him run with it.

The fiend didn't win because Vince doesn't want him facing Brock.

He's probably rock hard thinking about Seth vs Brock at Survivor Series.

Dthomp

Show Preview for Oct 9th AEW:

private-party-young-bucks.webp

darby-jimmy.webp

Spears%20vs%20Mox.webp

6-man.webp

For anybody who hasn't seen AEW yet, enjoy Darby Allin, that guy is great

V2Tommy

Good luck man. I can't watch WWE product live anymore. I tuned in and saw Baron Corbin and immediately turned it off. DVR it is

It's funny... I think Corbin is excellent. Clearly he's got something on Vince to get his push, but he's moderately impressive with how he's advanced his career.

Dthomp

It's funny... I think Corbin is excellent. Clearly he's got something on Vince to get his push, but he's moderately impressive with how he's advanced his career.

For sure, he checks all Vinces boxes. Former real sport athlete, Tall, won't disagree with him, gets xpac heat. I'm shocked this dude made it out of NXT and yet somehow manages to win all this shit and continue to be semi meaningless. It's a talent

For sure, he checks all Vinces boxes. Former real sport athlete, Tall, won't disagree with him, gets xpac heat. I'm shocked this dude made it out of NXT and yet somehow manages to win all this shit and continue to be semi meaningless. It's a talent

It's because he wasn't shit in nxt. If you're over in nxt you're gonna get buried.

WWE thinks MMA crossover will make it more mainstream, but they forget that MMA on the whole is not exactly mainstream either--just a couple of the fighters are, and they fade in and out of relevance fast.

MMA isn't mainstream; Rousey was. MMA isn't mainstream; McGregor was. I think those are the only two MMA fighters in recent memory who, if you showed them like WWE showed Cain a few days ago, people would freak out.

At the very least, give him a Heyman-esque mouthpiece that brings up the past between Cain and Brock; Rey, much as I love the man, is not the one to relay that sort of info. I mean hell, show Lesnar breakdancing in the ring against Cain on the Tron, that'll get people to raise their eyebrows.

Dthomp

WWE thinks MMA crossover will make it more mainstream, but they forget that MMA on the whole is not exactly mainstream either--just a couple of the fighters are, and they fade in and out of relevance fast.

MMA isn't mainstream; Rousey was. MMA isn't mainstream; McGregor was. I think those are the only two MMA fighters in recent memory who, if you showed them like WWE showed Cain a few days ago, people would freak out.

At the very least, give him a Heyman-esque mouthpiece that brings up the past between Cain and Brock; Rey, much as I love the man, is not the one to relay that sort of info. I mean hell, show Lesnar breakdancing in the ring against Cain on the Tron, that'll get people to raise their eyebrows.

Yeah, I'm worried about the quality of SD going forward as it's going to be set up as MMA-Lite.

dorkimoe

I watched AEW on wednesday, first wrestling I have watched in 10-15 years? I had to hear Tony Schivone talk, voice of my childhood.

I kept seeing promos for AEW during baseball and it looked good, so I looked up some clips and the moves they were pulling off were stuff I hadnt seen in years because of how hard they were to do. Really enjoyed the first episode and did some more research, I was under the impression it was more like ECW, but they said they wont do hardcore matches on TNT, which is sad because I am not paying $50 for a PPV ever in my life. I will give this wednesday another shot and see if it keeps me in, but really hope they change their mind on that.

sdrawkcab

Banned
So are you guys going to continue watching WWE? I'm sure the answer is "yes". And until you stop, NOTHING is going to change. It makes no sense complaining if you continue to tune in to see what happens next. Obviously Vince doesn't take wrestling very seriously; he's more concerned with the entertainment. Or rather, more concerned with keeping you coming back, and sometimes even when things are going badly, it works. I guess your curiosity gets the better of you? Until Vince's decisions starts to hurt his POCKET, you won't see a damn thing changed!

Sasha should have gotten that belt. Batley should have kept hers. Asuka and Kairi should have got their win, but not like that! Where was the build up? Where was the story? Where were the promos?

Bray vs Seth was a complete joke. But I think people like it this way, because everyone complains but continues to support the WWE brand regardless. Yeah, that's not how you create change. Sasha deserves better! Batley deserves better! Asuka deserves better! Kairi deserves better! Bray deserved better! Charlotte has been given her just dues, repeatedly. That locker room is filled with talent...and they're not being used for shit! Smfh

Here's an interesting story I just thought up; Sasha wins the belt. Becky challenges her at the next PPV, or in a weekday match for it; she loses. Sasha and Bayley enjoy their heel run. Sasha takes Ember under her wing (stick with me/us and you too can eventually be a boss).

Ember works her ass off, and even does Sasha's bidding. Eventually Sasha finds Ember getting a little too cocky...feeling herself a little too much. Sasha has to teach her, that Ember can be a boss, but not THE boss. There's only ONE boss, and that's Sasha. Ember, respectfully claims that she's a better wrestler than Sasha. Sasha, appalled by the gall start treating Ember like a peasant. Tag team match pair up with Sasha and Ember, Ember loses the match. Sasha flips out, and starts hitting her, slapping her, demeaning her. Ember stands up for herself. Bayley intervenes and they both beat Ember to a pulp. Next week, a battered Ember comes to the front and challenges Sasha for her title. Bayley laughs and says no, but to Bayley's surprise Sasha says yes. They have a match the following week and Ember nearly wins, but Bayley interferes and helps Sasha retain her belt. It's carded for the next PPV, and in a 30 min match, even with Bayley's interference, Ember wins and is the new champ!

This is how you build up talent. And I thought of that while typing it. Meh

NickFire

So are you guys going to continue watching WWE? I'm sure the answer is "yes". And until you stop, NOTHING is going to change. It makes no sense complaining if you continue to tune in to see what happens next. Obviously Vince doesn't take wrestling very seriously; he's more concerned with the entertainment. Or rather, more concerned with keeping you coming back, and sometimes even when things are going badly, it works. I guess your curiosity gets the better of you? Until Vince's decisions starts to hurt his POCKET, you won't see a damn thing changed!

Sasha should have gotten that belt. Batley should have kept hers. Asuka and Kairi should have got their win, but not like that! Where was the build up? Where was the story? Where were the promos?

Bray vs Seth was a complete joke. But I think people like it this way, because everyone complains but continues to support the WWE brand regardless. Yeah, that's not how you create change. Sasha deserves better! Batley deserves better! Asuka deserves better! Kairi deserves better! Bray deserved better! Charlotte has been given her just dues, repeatedly. That locker room is filled with talent...and they're not being used for shit! Smfh

Here's an interesting story I just thought up; Sasha wins the belt. Becky challenges her at the next PPV, or in a weekday match for it; she loses. Sasha and Bayley enjoy their heel run. Sasha takes Ember under her wing (stick with me/us and you too can eventually be a boss).

Ember works her ass off, and even does Sasha's bidding. Eventually Sasha finds Ember getting a little too cocky...feeling herself a little too much. Sasha has to teach her, that Ember can be a boss, but not THE boss. There's only ONE boss, and that's Sasha. Ember, respectfully claims that she's a better wrestler than Sasha. Sasha, appalled by the gall start treating Ember like a peasant. Tag team match pair up with Sasha and Ember, Ember loses the match. Sasha flips out, and starts hitting her, slapping her, demeaning her. Ember stands up for herself. Bayley intervenes and they both beat Ember to a pulp. Next week, a battered Ember comes to the front and challenges Sasha for her title. Bayley laughs and says no, but to Bayley's surprise Sasha says yes. They have a match the following week and Ember nearly wins, but Bayley interferes and helps Sasha retain her belt. It's carded for the next PPV, and in a 30 min match, even with Bayley's interference, Ember wins and is the new champ!

Between the second and third hour I fast watched the the first two hours. After seeing no evidence they were going to correct the outcome of the Fiend match, or even address it unless I missed a fly over mention, I turned it off in disgust. Said I would check reports after the show ended for any resolution to fiend match from HIC. At this point, it's still TBD if I go back to watching any time soon or ever. Will check the show reports in case anything changes, but I am so disgusted by how Vince handled such a popular organic rise that I really don't care any more right now. I'm just burned out. It's like clockwork that the best acts get shit on in favor of who we are supposed to like. Before Bray it was McIntyre, Bray again, etc.

At this point I just don't see what is there worth paying attention to. Another draft - yawn. Another guy pushed for t shirt sales who isn't clicking with audience - yawn. Stupid gimmicks like viking raiders - yawn.

daemissary

I’m legitimately stopping watching main roster garbage. I honestly thought that it would get better since they would put in more effort with AEW competition and the new Fox deal but it’s clear now that effort isn’t the problem...Vince just has no idea what fans want in 2019.

I’m not going to stop watching NXT though, it is a quality product and I’m not going to punish them for Vince’s stupidity just because they are under the WWE umbrella.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Show Preview for Oct 9th AEW:
For anybody who hasn't seen AEW yet, enjoy Darby Allin, that guy is great

yeah, he is legit good, also has had a hard childhood, at least I think the commentators mentioned it about once or fifty times.

Fox Mulder

I was never going to watch 4 shows a week anyways.

NXT and AEW are fun. AEW is coming to Charlotte soon so I’m tempted to try to get tickets to that.

cryptoadam

Banned
I stick to NXT.

Good wrestlers, good characters, great wrestling, simple and effective storylines. No BS and they listen to the crowd and fans.

RAW/SDL I just read results, maybe catch the opening of RAW every now and then, and then might watch the 20 minute highlight version you see on YouTube.

I will still watch PPV's because me and a buddy make it a thing. But PPV's aren't that bad if you don't watch RAW/SDL every week because things are kinda fresh. Except when they do shit like HIAC.

Anyways wrestling has always been BS. Was watching some wrestling with wregret PPV reviews and remember Rikishi running over Austin. Or the Higher power. That was some real bull shit. Or fucken Kennel from Hell match. And thats not even going into WCW, USWF, AWA and so on and so on.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I will AEW here in the UK and AEW dark, I can watch them (I hope the ITV deal gets better)
as it's free to air and I don't want to pay because I'm a cheap ass lol

Last edited:

sdrawkcab

Banned
Between the second and third hour I fast watched the the first two hours. After seeing no evidence they were going to correct the outcome of the Fiend match, or even address it unless I missed a fly over mention, I turned it off in disgust. Said I would check reports after the show ended for any resolution to fiend match from HIC. At this point, it's still TBD if I go back to watching any time soon or ever. Will check the show reports in case anything changes, but I am so disgusted by how Vince handled such a popular organic rise that I really don't care any more right now. I'm just burned out. It's like clockwork that the best acts get shit on in favor of who we are supposed to like. Before Bray it was McIntyre, Bray again, etc.

At this point I just don't see what is there worth paying attention to. Another draft - yawn. Another guy pushed for t shirt sales who isn't clicking with audience - yawn. Stupid gimmicks like viking raiders - yawn.
I feel the exact same way. Couldn't even be bothered to watch Raw. Looked at some highlights online and that was it.

brap

Banned
I saw like half of the first AEW episode and it was pretty decent. Reminded me of WCW for some reason idk. Have to skip everything with The Young Cucks in it though. So embarrassing. I wish it was just JR and Tony on commentary though.

Big Tunes Billy bringing 80s studio wrasslin back. I love how Cornette is in it too.

brap

Banned
Cornette is great as usual. Most of the promos were good too. It's nice seeing wrestlers trying to be Flair or Arn on the mic instead of The Rock.

I like how the intro music is a Dokken song from Nightmare on Elm Street 3.
Lmao I wasn't sure if that was some modern song trying to sound old or if it was actually some old dadrock song. No wonder it was so catchy.

brap

Banned
Finished the ep last night. FUCKING LMAO JERICHO FOUND A HOT DOG IN THE RING AND SMASHED IT :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_loudly_crying:

dorkimoe

Kinda weird the winner of this match gets a shot at Jericho who is already scheduled to wrestle for his belt at the ppv?

daemissary

Yo this was a better show than last weeks for AEW. Such a hot crowd too.

Yeah, definitely better than week 1. I thought NXT won the quality battle last week but I doubt that will be the case this time. Whole show felt PPV quality.

I can’t express how badly I want the Wednesday Night Wars to elevate both products to the point they are out rating Raw and Smackdown. Bury that trash.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
tfw jericho using the term 'shoot' on live tv
tfw no hardcore matches
tfw no blood

And did fucking Dustin really come out to a heavy metal version of Brain Stew?

Intense ending

V2Tommy

AEW was insanely good last night. I cannot believe how they're doing everything right. Vince and HHH really need to check themselves because this feels like Sony entering the market against Nintendo.

Bullet Club

Jericho's gonna make Cody sweat
Sweat 'til he can't sweat no more
And if Cody cries out Jericho's gonna lionsault
lionsault lionsault some more
Teddy Teddy Long
A Teddy Teddy Long Long li Long Long Long

Another good episode of Dynamite. The opening match was great.

Last edited:

NickFire

Jericho absolutely killed it on the mic last night. And the overall show was pretty good too.

It's amazing how much better Jericho can elevate another wrestler with a single promo, than Vince was able to with years worth of chances.

Dthomp

Caught up with my DVR of Dynamite from last night, and if I wasn't fully on board with AEW (I was) I would be after last night. I gotta say, at first I just thought PP was just an indy Street Profits, but they are way better IMO. Was surprised by the upset, but you need things like this in wrestling to keep it from being stale. Womens tag was fine, storytelling here for Bea/Britt continuation and Riho got to look solid before her title match next week with Britt. Mox/Spears was meh though for me, although it did pick up towards the end. Mox never did much for me in WWE and for some reason gets the super big rub from getting to one up Kenny at every turn.

Havok/Allin was fun, I think I missed a bit of the action during this one cause it felt like Havok was controlling it all, then a Coffin Drop and it's done. Hoping for some sort of interference next week. Too soon for Darbi to be a legit title contender, but hate to see him eat an L and put up the valiant effort story. Main event did it's job, it told the story of the Inner Circle against the Elite, almost gave us the MJF turn that we all see coming. Jericho does his heel thing and leaves his comrades to their ass whoopings. Hagar looked good for the little bit of use, and seemed really fired up in the ring.

Overall great show, good storytelling. Really my only gripe continues to be WTF are you doing with a stupid losing streak angle with Omega? Literally every part of the Cody saga thus far (Outside the Dustin match) would be much better used on Kenny. He should not be coming off like this dude who can't handle the old WWE guys while Cody gets the HHH push.

Side note here, I'm not sure I feel the announce team. Excalibur is too good to be sitting around waiting for a brief window to say something. Tony has been way better then I expected him to be, and tbh I'd rather have it be Tony/Excalibur then the trio. JR and Tony just talk and talk, and sadly Ex is the only one who really knows the names of most of these guys moves. Maybe it's just that I haven't heard Tony in over a decade, and JR still uses the same old tired terms and chatter.

Fox Mulder

It’s a bit of a bummer with Omega. Heard how great he is but I couldn’t see most of his stuff in Japan. He’s just eating L’s and ass beatings in AEW. I get they want to build other stars and show talent like the women’s tag match though.

Top Bottom