• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Dthomp

I don't think people realize the two reasons Nyla was put in that spot to begin with, cause she's trash in the ring. Green is an insult to alot of women wrestlers that work hard.

1.) She isn't a built up star like Awesome Kong/Aja Kong to set up the David vs. Goliath storyline. Since there was no other storyline before this for the womens divsion. Shouldn't have been in such a hurry to crown a champion IMO.

2.) She's a Trans, and I think they were hoping for more Woke points. I don't think they are seeking them the way some companies do, but if they managed some more fans and word of mouth it's still more eyes on the product to see a Trans wrestler.

If the goal was the best match possible, they could have pulled out Shida, Britt, Bea, Allie, hell anybody else on the womens roster.

Javthusiast

Banned
Don't you have some anime to be watching Mr. Olivier?

giphy.gif

tumblr_n5aqcaRoRz1togqvzo1_500.gif

DKehoe

Gold Member
I don't think people realize the two reasons Nyla was put in that spot to begin with, cause she's trash in the ring. Green is an insult to alot of women wrestlers that work hard.

1.) She isn't a built up star like Awesome Kong/Aja Kong to set up the David vs. Goliath storyline. Since there was no other storyline before this for the womens divsion. Shouldn't have been in such a hurry to crown a champion IMO.

2.) She's a Trans, and I think they were hoping for more Woke points. I don't think they are seeking them the way some companies do, but if they managed some more fans and word of mouth it's still more eyes on the product to see a Trans wrestler.

If the goal was the best match possible, they could have pulled out Shida, Britt, Bea, Allie, hell anybody else on the womens roster.

Nyla might be green but with her style she doesn't need to do much. They can just have her dominate with a few power spots and you can put her in there with more experienced workers to bump around for her and make her look good. Awesome Kong wasn't a built up star to their audience when she showed up in TNA but they made her into that by treating her as something special.

I don't see how they are looking for woke points. Obviously her being trans is going to be a talking point for some people but I don't believe they have actually mentioned it once on any of their broadcasts. If they were so actively looking for woke points they would be hitting people over the head with it as much as we are told Britt Baker is a dentist.

DKehoe

Gold Member

AEW has got to stop doing these stipulation matches when there’s no storyline reason for them, especially when they are just doing them for their YouTube show. It’s only going to make it mean less when you do one in a feud that actually calls for it.

brap

Banned

AEW has got to stop doing these stipulation matches when there’s no storyline reason for them, especially when they are just doing them for their YouTube show. It’s only going to make it mean less when you do one in a feud that actually calls for it.

Well at least it's not some comedy shit lmao

Dthomp

This is disappointing, don't pigeon hole Darby and Havok into only doing hardcore matches. These matches should be saved for PPVs and intense feuds, not just for filler for their dumb YT show. Nothing wrong with just a quality 3 way dance with these three, run with that.

This roster is LOADED with midcard dudes, they needed some type of TV title or midcard belt more then the tag titles at this point.

cryptoadam

Banned
Nyla should not have won the title. Your first womens champ should be a biological women. She can win the title down the line when she gets better and be the first trans champ. But lets be honest if she wrestled as a man she wouldn't have been signed to AEW.

Riho is the best of the rest, but thats not saying much. Britt Baker is still green I think she only has 3 years in the business. But for sure her frienship with Kenny is getting her places in AEW. But she is over and the crowd loves her. She is decent in the ring but not on the level of the Io's and Kari's of the world.

So far the womens division has been pretty weak. Not sure if Kenny is the best guy to be running it.

Dthomp

Nyla should not have won the title. Your first womens champ should be a biological women. She can win the title down the line when she gets better and be the first trans champ. But lets be honest if she wrestled as a man she wouldn't have been signed to AEW.

Riho is the best of the rest, but thats not saying much. Britt Baker is still green I think she only has 3 years in the business. But for sure her frienship with Kenny is getting her places in AEW. But she is over and the crowd loves her. She is decent in the ring but not on the level of the Io's and Kari's of the world.

So far the womens division has been pretty weak. Not sure if Kenny is the best guy to be running it.

Are we sure Kenny is running it? I legit didn't know that. I like the females they have, but I think they are learning quickly that this isn't the indies anymore where both chicks will get over and have this is awesome chants just by being out there. Plus, I don't really understand the working relationship with AEW and other companies, like how many of the females that we've seen are actually signed with them? Cause we haven't seen the Magical Girl (Can't remember her name), but really liked her work. They have the japanese women, who tend to only work really good matches against the other japanese females, the older vets who haven't been on TV or only like once (Still no Kong on TV), and then the rest. I know Allie didn't light the world on fire her first time in AEW, but she's marketable and attractive (just not as a brunette). Britt is fine, but seems to struggle with pacing and getting ahead of herself (Common Indy problem).

Just checked the official roster here goes:
Allie
Awesome Kong
Bea Priestly
Brandi
Britt Baker
Emi Sakura
Hikaru Shida
Leva Bates
Nyla Rose
Penelope Ford
Riho
Sadie Gibbs
Yuka Sakazaki

I mean that's not a big roster, but all we get every single week is Britt or Riho. I didn't even realize they had Sadie. So far on TV I don't believe we've seen Allie, Kong, Bea (in a match), Brandi, Shida, Ford, Gibbs, or Sakazaki.

The womens division needed a tournament just as much as the tag division did IMO.

Dthomp

20191028_RAW_AlanaRusevLashley--b8543b81fa14f7700f703fbeeac7d0e2.jpg

This shit is getting worse by the second.

This picture is enough proof that I did the right thing removing Raw from my DVR list and stopped watching. 1 person not watching doesn't make a difference, but at least I'm not aiding their ratings for this type of shit.

WWE has treated Rusev and Lana like trash ever since his crazy first year and Wrestlemania burial to Cena. They put in the time, and did anything they could to improve and get over and always just buried, and getting this angle before their contracts end cause WWE knows they're gone to make them look bad going anywhere else. Rusev TWICE was the most over person in the company, and was never given a chance, that was given to Jinder...because India? even though he's fucking Canadian....

This angle is embarrassing to them, the company, and honestly Lashley. Why, if SD is the MMA lite, fighters show are Lashley and AOP on Raw? Lashley should be what a FT Lesnar would look like, not this stupid shit. Ugh, at least I imagine if AEW scoops him up, they'll be smart enough to use him better....cause nothing else can be this bad.

Dthomp

THIS IS AWESOME
:messenger_clapping: :messenger_clapping: :messenger_clapping::messenger_clapping::messenger_clapping:

I wonder if Vince is into cuck shit. RAW? More like

ov0WxCD.jpg

Of Course Vince is a giant Cuck. I imagine after being on Roids his entire life and sleeping 3 hours a night and living off coffee and likely energy drinks he has no penis anymore.

This angle has vince all over it, cause I'm not sure anybody else cares enough to waste their time on something so dumb, while Vince is in the corner laughing hysterically like an 8 year old

brap

Banned
Of Course Vince is a giant Cuck. I imagine after being on Roids his entire life and sleeping 3 hours a night and living off coffee and likely energy drinks he has no penis anymore.

This angle has vince all over it, cause I'm not sure anybody else cares enough to waste their time on something so dumb, while Vince is in the corner laughing hysterically like an 8 year old
That or the child abuse. Reminds me of the incest storyline he wanted to do before.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Reportedly, the Lana angle is a Heyman idea, as was the Mike Cucknellis angle. Vince obviously gets final say on whether or not those angles are used, but Heyman would be the ones behind them.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Holy shit Smackdown tanked in the ratings. Shame too since the main event was so good. All eyes on how they perform this week now that they're back on FOX and no World Series game.

Airing on an unfamiliar station and against a monster audience for the World Series on their normal home of FOX, SmackDown had the lowest audience total in its history on Friday night, averaging just 888,000 viewers on FS1.

The show finished ninth for the night in the 18-49 demo with a 0.27 rating, barely one fourth of what the show had been averaging since moving to network TV.

WWE Backstage, which aired right after SmackDown, averaged 426,000 viewers. That was down from the 597,000 viewers that tuned in for the preview edition of the show on October 15, but WWE had the benefit of a strong lead-in from an MLB playoff game that aired directly before that episode.

SmackDown was airing on FS1 due to game three of the World Series being on FOX. The game drew 12.2 million viewers.

NickFire

I don't know if its general disgust with WWE affecting me more than warranted, but I found this bit to be stupid. I've got no issue at all with spitting colored liquid at people to distract them. But the narrative that it contains some sort of substance that burns and causes temporary blindness, but is perfectly harmless in your mouth, just seems stupid.

And OMG - can they just release Rusev already so he can go to AEW and shine. The guy has charisma, can get himself over even when the audience is conditioned to see him as a jobber, and deserves so much better. As does the audience.

I don't know if its general disgust with WWE affecting me more than warranted, but I found this bit to be stupid. I've got no issue at all with spitting colored liquid at people to distract them. But the narrative that it contains some sort of substance that burns and causes temporary blindness, but is perfectly harmless in your mouth, just seems stupid.

And OMG - can they just release Rusev already so he can go to AEW and shine. The guy has charisma, can get himself over even when the audience is conditioned to see him as a jobber, and deserves so much better. As does the audience.

You can put semen in your mouth, but not in your eyes.

Dthomp

OJKNWsu.png

Terry Funk better be one of the judges

Ugh, please there is nothing I want less in life then a 60 minute Cody/Jericho match. Jericho is blown up 10 minutes into any match in his condition. This is completely pointless, and hopefully just a gimmick to have 3 legends at ringside and the match goes about 20-25 tops...

DKehoe

Gold Member
Ugh, please there is nothing I want less in life then a 60 minute Cody/Jericho match. Jericho is blown up 10 minutes into any match in his condition. This is completely pointless, and hopefully just a gimmick to have 3 legends at ringside and the match goes about 20-25 tops...

Yeh, I really doubt they are going 60. I think it’s just meant to be a call back to the Flair/Steamboat match that had judges and that one didn’t go 60 minutes.

brap

Banned

Am I really supposed to believe MJF's jew boy story? Dude is younger than me. People actually cared about that type of shit in the early 2000s? I don't even think I knew what a jew looked like when I was a kid. Also I didn't know he was jewish until he mentioned it.

Dthomp

We should all have that stupid Cornette mentality. I suppose the NBA would be much better off without that Semi Vanilla Midget Steph Curry right? I get he's just trying to bring any attention he can to that product, but when I see a promo thing and James Storm is there talked about like he matters at this point...I just can't take him seriously. Nothing against Storm, but lets not pretend the real promotions out there were fighting tooth and nail to get him and he chose NWA...

Kacho

Gold Member
Easy heat for Jim but he isn't wrong. It's part of the reason why I find NWA appealing. They got some real ass men there.

There are way too many vanilla midgets in wrestling these days. There are exceptions of course but they're few and far between. Even my wife points out how small some of those AEW guys are.

I swear promotions and training centers neeed a sign out front:

southport-pleasureland-north-west-amusement-park-on-the-seafront-merseyside-CP8M7E.jpg

Last edited:

Dthomp

Easy heat for Jim but he isn't wrong. It's part of the reason why I find NWA appealing. They got some real ass men there.

There are way too many vanilla midgets in wrestling these days. There are exceptions of course but they're few and far between. Even my wife points out how small some of those AEW guys are.

I swear promotions and training centers neeed a sign out front:

southport-pleasureland-north-west-amusement-park-on-the-seafront-merseyside-CP8M7E.jpg

To be fair, most of the big dudes...shocker can't handle the wear and tear. I'm fine hating on the Marko Stunts of the world, however neither of those two in COrnys shot could hold a candle to the likes of Bryan Danielson or AJ Styles, little dudes. I mean, it's fucking wrestling, this dude made a career off of people thinking grown as men needed a dude to "manage" them with a tennis racket?

In the end it comes down to what you want out of wrestling as a fan. To me, the big dudes now and over the years are fucking boring. I don't care about their draws because of dudes on top. Hogan, Cena, Roman, Goldberg, all the "big" dudes who were main event talents, were boring as fuck to me. Let me watch a match with HBK, Danielson, Styles, Punk, Omega any day of the week.

brap

Banned
Did you guys see the Rick & Morty turnbuckles on AEW tonight? IT WAS WUBBA LUBBA DUB DUB *BURP* EPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC
I COULDNT BELIEVE 2 GUYS WERE DRESSED UP AS REDDIT AND MEMEY AND WRESTLED EACH OTHER

Yeah, I was there live. Got me a Morty mask. My brother got a eye-patch Rick mask. I found It pretty ironic that you were saying the guys in AEW were wrestling like they were in Street Fighter and the Young Bucks dressed up as Ryu and Ken. Fucking hilarious, bro.

Top Bottom