• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

DKehoe

Sure, but you said the biggest draw in wrestling history. No way you can convince me it was anyone other than either: Hogan, Austin, or Rock.

None of them ever drew close to 100,000 people like Londos did. Londos also did it without TV and during the great depression.

Wrestling has been around for over a century. Is it not a bit of a weird coincidence that these three supposedly objectively best guys all popped up within a few years of each other? They're all obviously huge stars and all time greats,. I'm not disputing that. But so many people's frame of reference only goes back to the 80s. It's almost like someone came into power around that time and has the ability to rewrite wrestling history to suit his own legacy.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Another solid episode of NXT.

Opening was really cool and Io's entrance was awesome. Good match, not as good as the Takeover match but its free TV. Rhea looks like a total badass coming down afterwards.

Balors promo was damn good, maybe his best in WWE. Looking forward to his feud with Johnny watches wrestling, though I would of went with Johnny parapaligic.

Thorne/Bronson I thought was going to be meh but really surprised me. Strong style match as they just chopped the crap out of each other. Impressive to see the big guy fly. Add another hoss onto NXT.

Tag Match was a ton of fun thanks to the Kabuki warriors. And then we get our Womens War Games match. Teams look set question is will a 5th be added to the face team or do we not get all 3 horsewomen in the match?

Grimey/Bate another solid match. I am thinking we will get Dain/Grimey/Preist vs BSS. I kinda expect Trent to make his way to NXT soon enough.

Main event was a classic UE match. Can't go wrong with ReDragon. Glad to see Lee+Riddle team up been saying they should be a tag team for a while.

So now we have 2 Wargames matchs set. Will Dijack be the 4th man? Will Lee jump off the top of the cage?

Bullet Club

WON: Segment-by-segment breakdown of this week’s Smackdown, RAW, AEW and NXT ratings

The good news for Smackdown is that the show consistently increased the audience, starting at 854,000 viewers and peaking for the main event of Roman Reigns & Ali & Shorty G vs. Cesaro & Shinsuke Nakamura & King Corbin at 1,019,000 viewers.

New Day vs. Dolph Ziggler & Robert Roode lost 89,000 viewers. The Lacey Evans squash and Nikki Cross promo gained 18,000 viewers. The Firefly Fun House, Drew Gulak vs. Kalisto and Braun Strowman promo gained 83,000 viewers. The in-ring with Daniel Bryan, Nakamura and Sami Zayn gained 60,000 viewers. The Brock Lesnar, Paul Heyman, Rey Mysterio and Cain Velasquez in-ring gained 16,000 viewers. The part of the angle in the trainers office with Lesnar and Velasquez gained 10,000 viewers. And the main event gained 67,000 viewers.

In the segment-by-segment, for RAW, the high point with 2,457,000 viewers was Becky Lynch vs. Kairi Sane. The low point was the Aleister Black interview at 1,881,000 viewers (although that segment also had two commercial breaks in it). Lynch vs. Sane gained 108,000 viewers. R-Truth vs. Buddy Murphy lost 213,000 viewers. Street Profits interview and Hulk Hogan & Ric Flair coming out gained 15,000 viewers. Ricochet vs. Drew McIntyre gained 40,000 viewers. Viking Raiders squash lost 128,000 viewers. Andrade vs. Sin Cara lost 164,000 viewers. Charlotte Flair & Natalya vs. The Iiconics gained 98,000 viewers. Seth Rollins vs. Erick Rowan lost 56,000 viewers. Black interview lost 231,000 viewers. A.J. Styles vs. Humberto Carrillo gained 71,000 viewers. And the Rusev/Lana angle at the end gained 68,000 viewers.

Teenagers ranged from 47,000 for Lynch vs. Sane to 21,000 for Rollins vs. Rowan. 18-34 was strong for Lynch vs. Sane, Ricochet vs. McIntyre and Rollins vs. Rowan. Women 18-34 peaked for Lynch vs. Sane. Men 18-34 peaked for Viking Raiders and Black.

The first-to-third hour drop was 17.1 percent, not record breaking but much larger than has been the case in most weeks. They has also loaded the show, with the most pushed match, Seth Rollins vs. Erick Rowan, and the angle the show was built around, the Lana/Rusev face-to-face, both taking place in the third hour.

The first-to-third hour drops were 26.3 percent with women 18-49, 12.9 percent for men 18-49, 11.5 percent with teenage girls, 15.1 percent for teenage boys and 11.2 percent over 50. The most notable thing seems to be the Lana-Rusev angle idea was a major turnoff with adult women and didn’t seem to spark interest anywhere else either.

For AEW, the high point was 880,000 in the first segment. The low point was 701,000 for the Cody and Tony Schiavone car ride and Best Friends & Orange Cassidy vs. Alex Reynolds & John Silver & QT Marshall. Hikaru Shida vs. Shanna lost 85,000 viewers. The end of Shida vs. Shanna and the angle with Ortiz & Santana and the Rock & Roll Express lost 60,000 viewers. The Cody car ride and Best Friend s match lost 34,000 viewers,. The Cody/Chris Jericho contract signing and beating of Dustin Rhodes by Jake Hager gained 51,000 viewers. The Young Bucks & Kenny Omega vs. Jack Evans & Angelico & Kip Sabian lost 45,000 viewers. The end of that match plus the Jon Moxley/Peter Avalon angle and Moxley promo gained 9,000 viewers. And the Scorpio Sky & Frankie Kazarian tag title win over Pentagon Jr. & Fenix gained 55,000 viewers to 781,000.

For NXT, the Finn Balor promo grew 30,000 viewers. I had expected Balor promo vs. Hikaru Shida to be close, but AEW had a 795,000 to 607,000 edge. Bronson Reed vs. Shane Thorne lost 62,000 viewers. The women’s tag title match gained 143,000 viewers, so they ended up meaning far more than Balor. The War Games angle after the match lost 39,000 viewers. Grimes vs. Bate lost 163,000 viewers. Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly vs. Matt Riddle & Keith Lee lost 27,000 viewers in the head-to-head, but when AEW ended, they gained 145,000 viewers in the overrun so that’s probably a lot of AEW viewers. It probably also kills them in the last quarter because fans watch the NXT main events in fewer numbers knowing they can watch the AEW closing angle and miss nothing on NXT and still see its closing angle.

NXT did very close to AEW from 9 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. with Asuka & Kairi Sane vs. Dakota Kai & Tegan Nox, going against the Jericho contract signing and Young Bucks & Omega match. The AEW edge was 730,000 to 679,000 during that half hour, the closest it has come. But NXT collapsed in the last half hour of the show with the Tyler Bate vs. Cameron Grimes match and tag title match, with the head-to-head tag title matches doing 781,000 to 467,000.

tRlk3jJ.png

mPZc5UY.png

The baseball did over 20m. AEW & NXT should jump up a bit next week.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I actually didn't mind the Lesnar vs Velasquez match. It was structured exactly like an MMA fight with Cain getting caught despite going for the finish. Allows you to build up to a rematch later on down the road, I just hope they don't rush to it.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
People are stupid if they think Vince just left people high and dry because he didn't care. More than likely he left before talent was told they can't leave.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Gotta wonder how much longer ROH is going to be around at this point. It seems like they don't want to invest in any money to help the company grow and they don't have any good tv deals.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Finally got to see the Starr vs Devlin match from OTT's Fifth Anniversary show. Incredible stuff. One of my favourite matches of the year. Such a well done story throughout their feud and incredible heat from the crowd.

OTT does a great job with their video packages. Check out the one for this match.

DKehoe

Trent's pretty solid in the ring. Because of the Dragon Gate history between PAC and CIMA I was looking forward to their match on a stylistic basis. So it's disappointing to not get that. But Trent is a fine replacement. Also he's been using the question mark in his name for years so I don't get why VoW are bringing it up now.

NickFire

Never saw anything about Saudi's causing flight delay before this thread. But my take is who cares. It worked out big time. Smackdown was extremely entertaining because of the delay. Felt more special than any smackdown in decades.

shoplifter

To backtrack a little, I thought Joey legit murdered Marko on the finish when I saw it Wednesday night, but I didn't have a great angle to see how well he protected him. Couldn't tell if Marko was favoring anything beforehand.

Dthomp

Never saw anything about Saudi's causing flight delay before this thread. But my take is who cares. It worked out big time. Smackdown was extremely entertaining because of the delay. Felt more special than any smackdown in decades.

SD felt better because it was different. Problem with WWE programming is that it ALWAYS becomes formulaic because that's who they want to cater to. While SD was fun, it's going to be right back to business as usual now for the traveling brands.

Bullet Club

Notes From RAW talent meeting.

-A meeting was held before RAW to discuss Wrestler’s issues during and after the Saudi trip.

-Talent relations discussed “speculation” by wrestlers on social media created a dilemma for the company, wrestlers were assured it was a “mechanical issue”, wrestlers were discouraged from speculation about the issues. Vince McMahon and the Prince rumored argument was not discussed

-Seth spoke to the talent, was said to be an awkward speech attempting to unify the locker room, lots of talk about how every wrestler is a part of a team and encouraged keeping grievances and speculations off social media. Some felt Seth was being forced into a position that doesn’t fit him and he is not comfortable with.

-Talent were given a chance to ask questions, there were none. and i was told the situation felt unresolved, many are tired and burn out feeling is high.

-The Saudi Arabia deal is extended to 2027 two events per year I also am hearing now. This was always the idea to be the time period for the deal but the press release came out to break up rumors of vince and saudis being angry with each other

-As aside, Cain earned everyones respect, heard nothing but high praise for him all over for everything he went through this week with positive attitude.

DKehoe

Seth listening to Dave:

1ypz4p8.gif

Seth’s really bad at being the top guy. It makes you appreciate how well Cena was able to handle that stuff for years without putting his foot in his mouth like Rollins seems to constantly.

Also guessing Rollins maybe heard Meltzer talking about him on a recent Observer Radio

Top Bottom