• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Bullet Club

WWE Raw ratings down against biggest MNF game of the year

Going against what ended up as the biggest Monday Night Football game of the year, Raw set a record low for a non-major holiday show, doing 2.06 million viewers last night.

The show was on Veteran's Day, but that is not considered the type of a holiday that impacts ratings.

The episode was expected to do a weak number, with the combination of the San Francisco 49ers-Seattle Seahawks game, and that Raw was taped.

The only Raw episodes in modern history to fall under this number were this past Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. However, the third hour last night was lower than the third hour either of those nighs

It's hard to say taped was that big of a factor given the drop was only 76,000 viewers from last week while football was up two million viewers, to a Monday night season high at 15.98 million viewers. The first two hours were really not that terrible all things considered. The first hour itself was almost identical to last week but the audience drop was faster.

The third hour was the least watched third hour in history, even behind Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. That was likely due to the closeness and interest in the game, plus the six-man tag with Ricochet, Humberto Carrillo & Randy Orton vs. The OC wasn't going to keep viewers who had any interest in football. The main event segment itself did gain viewers from The Viking Raiders match with Flash Morgan Webster & Mark Andrews.

Raw was tenth overall for the night on cable, beating everything that wasn't ether NFL related on ESPN, or news shows.

The 26 percent drop in audience from hour one to hour three was the largest in history, but given the excitement of the game, which went into overtime, that isn't a shock either.

Raw was down 16 percent from last year's show on the same week.

The first-to-third hour declines were consistent among those under 50. Women 18-49 dropped 28 percent, men 18-49 dropped 32 percent, teenagers, both boys and girls, dropped 30 percent. The over 50 demo was down 19 percent.

The three hours were:

8 p.m. 2.36 million viewers
9 p.m. 2.06 million viewers
10 p.m. 1.75 million viewers

Dthomp

One step closer to in ring return...right? RIGHT?

I need some Cult of personality to hit, that would bring me back for a short time, loved CM Punk.

NickFire

Somehow the shows have gotten more boring with network placement, and their shot in the arm is hiring a guy for an 11 PM talk show?

NickFire

So CM Punk chose a WWE studio show over a big pay day from AEW and the chance to shit on WWE, does not compute.
I also cannot understand why he wouldn't jump at the chance to wrestle again. There seems to be a huge black hole of talent who are ALLOWED to be over. An established guy like him would probably be allowed to get and stay over.

Oh shit, I can't believe I actually wrote that. Who am I kidding? Vince letting someone be the most popular who isn't cherry picked for us? Drew McIntyre should come to my house and punch me in the face for that one.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I also cannot understand why he wouldn't jump at the chance to wrestle again. There seems to be a huge black hole of talent who are ALLOWED to be over. An established guy like him would probably be allowed to get and stay over.

Oh shit, I can't believe I actually wrote that. Who am I kidding? Vince letting someone be the most popular who isn't cherry picked for us? Drew McIntyre should come to my house and punch me in the face for that one.

You would have to think Tony would of rolled out 6 to 7 figures for Trump to host AEW Dark instead of Schinovne. If he doesn't want to wrestle he could of been an interviewer or even the GM or anything.

NickFire

You would have to think Tony would of rolled out 6 to 7 figures for Trump to host AEW Dark instead of Schinovne. If he doesn't want to wrestle he could of been an interviewer or even the GM or anything.
Hell yeah he would pay 6 or 7 figures if Trump would host. Rating gold I tell ya.

(Now back to chuckling over the type for me)

Dthomp

So CM Punk chose a WWE studio show over a big pay day from AEW and the chance to shit on WWE, does not compute.

I'm not sold that this isn't the foot in the door that leads back to the ring...maybe Royal Rumble? For what I read, WWE did have alot of say for the people on this show, so it isn't likely Fox just hired him without the WWE signing off, and while I think many of the higher ups are DUMB...I don't think they are dumb enough to let Fox hire Punk without it being a WWE contract, because he could work for Fox...AND AEW then. I think he shows up here the next couple months while getting back into ring shape and inevitably leads to somebody calling him out on show or TV and potentially a main event style Mania program (Hopefully not a 1 off like Batista). Mania needs a shot in the arm cause what are we looking at currently? Ronda/Becky 2.0? Seth/....Don't Be Brock, Roman/....?. I'm not sure I can remember a time that this late in the year we don't really have an idea of what Mania is gonna look like (This could be good..if it wasn't WWE).

Got off track there a bit, but I do think this leads to him returning in ring. I know WWE is DUMB, but paying him likely 7 figures to be a host on a FS1 show doesn't seem like the best use of money. Give me my Punk/Bryan feud NOW!!!!

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I can see this being a similar situation to Sting, Warrior, and Angle, albeit with Fox rather than 2K being the bridge.

Although I do see Punk being the pre order bonus for 2K21.

cryptoadam

Banned
I'm not sold that this isn't the foot in the door that leads back to the ring...maybe Royal Rumble? For what I read, WWE did have alot of say for the people on this show, so it isn't likely Fox just hired him without the WWE signing off, and while I think many of the higher ups are DUMB...I don't think they are dumb enough to let Fox hire Punk without it being a WWE contract, because he could work for Fox...AND AEW then. I think he shows up here the next couple months while getting back into ring shape and inevitably leads to somebody calling him out on show or TV and potentially a main event style Mania program (Hopefully not a 1 off like Batista). Mania needs a shot in the arm cause what are we looking at currently? Ronda/Becky 2.0? Seth/....Don't Be Brock, Roman/....?. I'm not sure I can remember a time that this late in the year we don't really have an idea of what Mania is gonna look like (This could be good..if it wasn't WWE).

Got off track there a bit, but I do think this leads to him returning in ring. I know WWE is DUMB, but paying him likely 7 figures to be a host on a FS1 show doesn't seem like the best use of money. Give me my Punk/Bryan feud NOW!!!!

Ya he may be a FOX employee but no way WWE is letting him on their show and have him be free to go to AEW (or IMPACT/NJPW/ROH).

Just really surprised he didn't go to AEW. Could make good money and wouldn't have to deal with Vince/HHH.

Dthomp

Ya he may be a FOX employee but no way WWE is letting him on their show and have him be free to go to AEW (or IMPACT/NJPW/ROH).

Just really surprised he didn't go to AEW. Could make good money and wouldn't have to deal with Vince/HHH.

I'd love a look in Punks head, cause as much as he hates HHH/Vince...I'm not 100% sold he's a huge fan of Cody. I know he's buddies with one or both of the Bucks, but to him a superstar, any new fed has to be looked at with a crooked eye since at the end of the day Vince will open the checkbook huge for him and give him an easy schedule

brap

Banned
The Moxley vs Olivier match was great. If you have a problem with it then skip it and watch the little japanese girls or WWE. That is all.

Bullet Club

hqkVu7w.jpg

Oh yeah!

Bullet Club

AEW ratings get a post-PPV bump, NXT viewership down eight percent

After a week in which NXT came its closest to beating AEW since the beginning of the Wednesday Night Wars, AEW Dynamite ratings were up 16 percent from last week, averaging 957,000 viewers.

Dynamite finished fifth for the night on cable in the 18-49 demo, averaging a 0.43 rating in that important category. That number is up 22 percent from the previous week.

NXT on USA Network was down eight percent in total viewers, averaging 750,000 viewers. In the 18-49 rankings, they finished 22nd on the night with a .25 rating. That's down 17 percent from last week.

AEW beat NXT in every demo except for persons over 50, which is the case most weeks. NXT had an edge of 0.35 to 0.29 in that demo.

Dynamite was strongest in the males 18-49 category, with a 0.55 rating, almost doubling NXT's 0.32.

The AEW number was almost identical with where the show finished on October 23. The NXT audience has grown eight percent from that date, which is likely the effects of the current angle involving the NXT invasion of Raw and SmackDown leading into Survivor Series.

Here's a look at the AEW and NXT ratings since the beginning of the Wednesday Night Wars:

61HZO91.png

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've never gotten the appeal of Bayley. She just seems so......bland, backside notwithstanding.

I'm personally of the opinion that she is the weakest link in the 4 horsewomen.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've never gotten the appeal of Bayley. She just seems so......bland, backside notwithstanding.

I'm personally of the opinion that she is the weakest link in the 4 horsewomen.
I'm right there with you. Plus she looks too much like Grant Gustin in a wig to me.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Why would people still be talking about Punk's return? It was like 30 seconds and he hasn't done anything yet. Plus he hasn't actually returned to WWE. This is some serious reaching even for Meltzer.

Bullet Club

What happened when Eric and Tony Khan both showed up at Tony Schiavone’s birthday roast: Right at the very beginning of this thing, everybody’s seated. Mark Madden opens up and he goes, “Hey, look over there! Tony Khan the money mark! How many executive vice presidents do you have in your company anyway?” Evidently Tony took exception to that and got up and left. So I could have, I guess, had an opportunity to meet Tony Khan. But Mark Madden f***ed it up for me…and by me telling this story I probably just f***ed it up for myself, but whatever.

Bullet Club

“Trevor Murdoch is mad, bad and dangerous to know,” said Cornette. “He’s the only only man that I’ve ever known that can strap a bucket of fried chicken on his back and ride a motor scooter across Ethiopia.”

:messenger_grinning_squinting:

brap

Banned

“Trevor Murdoch is mad, bad and dangerous to know,” said Cornette. “He’s the only only man that I’ve ever known that can strap a bucket of fried chicken on his back and ride a motor scooter across Ethiopia.”

so sick and fucking tired of this stupid shit

Wait, that was the comment that was declared "offensive"? Chris Rock must be counting his lucky stars that he was born when he was, and not 10 years later.

It's so great to see Punk again! So far, he confirmed he's only employed by FOX, and never actually talked to anyone from WWE. He's free to criticize WWE and only has a couple positives things to say, such as Women's Wrestling which is better as ever and NXT. His criticism of the company is that it's still stale after he left.

Bullet Club

The eight-hour production feed featured:
  • 35 minutes of rehearsals
  • Almost 150 minutes of a black screen
  • The entire taping of the event
  • Announcers Tom Phillips and Nigel McGuinness’s off-air banter
  • Phillips, McGuinness, and ring announcer Andy Shepherd re-recording lines
  • Every word said into staffers’ headsets and earpieces by their producer

Last edited:
Top Bottom