• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

cryptoadam

Banned
How did Strong turn out to be one of my favs? This guy is a machine. His cardio is insane.

Cole getting pounced into the 2nd row LOL, great visual.

Like the opening of the show. Dig that they will bust out a musical act every now and then, gives me an ECW vibe.

AEW was pretty good too and might give it the slight edge this week.

DKehoe

Marty to AEW ? I’m saying yes

Seems the most likely spot for him. He's friends with those guys and would probably be used pretty prominently. Maybe ROH make a huge offer for him, which considering the money they apparently paid for Taven is entirely possible. Obviously WWE would also pay a lot but I don't think they would use him all that well and he could become their whipping boy if AEW continues to do well.

DKehoe

What the fuck. I just found out that 14 years ago Misawa wrestled a match in the small town I grew up in here in Scotland and I had no idea.

Bullet Club

YMt4iZe.jpg

FW64YvP.jpg

Looks like NXT beats AEW again in the ratins war last Wednesday! AEW may have the attention of the 18-49 crowd, but WWE NXT has the overall market. Survivor Series did help push NXT become a 3rd brand for younger viewers to see. Also, last week of Dynamite was very underwhelming.....

cryptoadam

Banned
Looks like NXT beats AEW again in the ratins war last Wednesday! AEW may have the attention of the 18-49 crowd, but WWE NXT has the overall market. Survivor Series did help push NXT become a 3rd brand for younger viewers to see. Also, last week of Dynamite was very underwhelming.....

This is petty bad for AEW when you consider that they promoted a World Title match and had Omega vs Pac. I thought the show would do maybe close to a million, but to be under 700K woof.

Even worse is that they went from 1.4 million to 660K, close to 900K loss of audience since its debut. Since going head to head NXT is actually pretty steady and have lost about 80K or so from when they started going head to head with AEW.

And this weeks NXT though after survivor series, didn't have any RAW/SDL guys to boost it.

This weeks ratings will be interesting. Can NXT hold the post survivor series crowd, and can AEW get back its 200-250K viewers it lost this week?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I wonder how long the Khans will stick with AEW if it doesn't make money. Roh and Impact are still around but they work on tiny budgets.

Dthomp

I wonder how much of the ratings being down had anything to do with opening with the Jericho thing. I’m not a big fan of long skits like this on tv, should have opened with Kenny/PAC or some action. Lesson learned hopefully, the long talkie opening is one of the things I’ve hated about Raw for years

I expected AEW to be within the 800k range and definitely not under 700k. I didn't think it was a great episode but also didn't expect it to tank that much compared to previous weeks.

I wonder how much of the ratings being down had anything to do with opening with the Jericho thing. I’m not a big fan of long skits like this on tv, should have opened with Kenny/PAC or some action. Lesson learned hopefully, the long talkie opening is one of the things I’ve hated about Raw for years

While watching I wondered that myself. Although amusing I could definitely see channel flippers or fence sitters switching the channel during that. Plus it wasn't much later that whole Blade and Bunny and whatever segment happened, which was mega trash.

NickFire

This is petty bad for AEW when you consider that they promoted a World Title match and had Omega vs Pac. I thought the show would do maybe close to a million, but to be under 700K woof.

Even worse is that they went from 1.4 million to 660K, close to 900K loss of audience since its debut. Since going head to head NXT is actually pretty steady and have lost about 80K or so from when they started going head to head with AEW.

And this weeks NXT though after survivor series, didn't have any RAW/SDL guys to boost it.

This weeks ratings will be interesting. Can NXT hold the post survivor series crowd, and can AEW get back its 200-250K viewers it lost this week?
I'm still hopeful for the future of AEW, but the initial excitement has worn off. Jericho talking about the bubbly never gets old, and some of their acts are fun. But the buildup to PPV's I will never pay for takes some of the shine away. And having 200 year old Billy Gun show up and make the rest of the roster look really small was just weird and a bit cringy. I'm all for hiring people away from WWE, but Billy Gun in 2019?

cryptoadam

Banned
I'm still hopeful for the future of AEW, but the initial excitement has worn off. Jericho talking about the bubbly never gets old, and some of their acts are fun. But the buildup to PPV's I will never pay for takes some of the shine away. And having 200 year old Billy Gun show up and make the rest of the roster look really small was just weird and a bit cringy. I'm all for hiring people away from WWE, but Billy Gun in 2019?

Have to see what the ratings are tomorrow and if this was some sort of odd holiday blip (that didn't effect NXT for some reason).

But having a World Title match and drawing your worst audience ever is a really bad look.

DKehoe

The Observer Youtube channel just uploaded this interview from a couple weeks ago that's an interview with Jericho from their Pacific Rim podcast. One of the hosts of the show is Fumi Saito, one of the highest profile Japanese wrestling journalists who has been covering wrestling for decades and has known Jericho since the 90s. It's a pretty fun listen with Jericho talking about his time in Japan.

brap

Banned
Oh wow 0 wrestling worth watching on AEW this week. Also Cody sucks. He needs to get his ego in check and turn heel. 2 womens matches is also laughable. Jeriboomer feuding with comedy wrestlers is the worst.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Slow episode for NXT this week, though they are building up to the 18th which will be a huge show before the end of the year. I am guessing no NXT on the 25th and 1st? Or will they do a New years day episode?

I though AEW started out hot, and I like me some Rey Fenix, but was kinda downhill from there and didn't watch the main event with Jelly and Mox. I thought AEW won the ratings last week but they got trounced, so won't predict this week. But if the last weeks 1st hour was the cause of the drop and not holidays or some other excuse, then this week will probably see a big drop after the Fenix match when we got Cody/Women/Jerhico promo.

And something a little fun, here is a vid of Rhea from 2 years ago. Wow what a change. Glad she found a good gimmick/character because she wouldn't be where she is today if she kept this white meat babyface thing going.

DKehoe

Oh wow 0 wrestling worth watching on AEW this week. Also Cody sucks. He needs to get his ego in check and turn heel. 2 womens matches is also laughable. Jeriboomer feuding with comedy wrestlers is the worst.

Cody is the most over babyface in the company. Why turn him heel now?

Hinedorf

Banned
I've completely given up on WWE now that AEW is around. Seems like WWE is on a warpath to discredit Raw and Smackdown for NXT which I just don't understand.

Complete saturation of talent, reusing same story/feuds when not necessary, same horrible shows that don't ever end with decisions in the ring.

I'm a full on AEW fanboy after that Moxley Vs Omega fight

Hinedorf

Banned

The Lucha Bros are more talented than anything the WWE has to offer right now, not sure what you're watching

brap

Banned
Cody is the most over babyface in the company. Why turn him heel now?
Because he's a spoiled little rich kid with a hot wife that basically owns the company. How the fuck is he even a babyface? He's about as obnoxious as MJF. Plus with that shitty fake tan and blonde hair he looks like some evil rich boy that could be trumps son.

The Lucha Bros are more talented than anything the WWE has to offer right now, not sure what you're watching
Do you think I care about WWE?

DKehoe

Because he's a spoiled little rich kid with a hot wife that basically owns the company. How the fuck is he even a babyface? He's about as obnoxious as MJF. Plus with that shitty fake tan and blonde hair he looks like some evil rich boy that could be trumps son.

I get that, and at some point he can leverage all of that to be a great heel but for now people are behind him more than any other face so run with it. Cody is a big reason why that company exists.Their audience isn’t looking to boo him right now.

Bullet Club

-- The Wednesday Night Ratings battle stayed neck-and-neck last night (12/4) with AEW drawing 851,000 viewers and NXT drawing 845,000 viewers, a mere 6,000 difference in viewers.

In the key 18-49 demographic, AEW landed in the no. 8 spot and NXT in the no. 12 spot.

Last week, NXT beat AEW in the live-and-same-night viewership, but in the next three days, AEW virtually caught up. AEW gained 304,000 viewers for a total of 972,000 viewers, with NXT gaining 173,000 viewers for a total of 986,000.

So, the ratings battle almost couldn’t be closer at this point.

Among the male 18-49 demo, AEW drew a 0.41 compared to NXT’s 0.36, so AEW still has a lead but it’s not close to what it was in October.

cryptoadam

Banned
If you are going to look at 3 day later DVR, then they need to take into account network views for NXT.

NXT is always the top program on the network (when there is no PPV). That has to be at least another 200-300K American viewers not being counted in NXT's ratings/DVR. And I bet those viewers skew into the younger demographic since streaming is more of a young mans game.

Dthomp

Good on Luke, never had a good run...and not sure the gimmick was ever gonna lead him anywhere. See if either tries the AEW waters now that the money isn't insane anymore.

DKehoe

Good on Luke, never had a good run...and not sure the gimmick was ever gonna lead him anywhere. See if either tries the AEW waters now that the money isn't insane anymore.

AEW is in need of some big men and he’s one of the best in the industry today. I can also see him doing well in Japan since he’s obviously strongly influenced by Bruiser Brody.

Last edited:
Top Bottom