• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

DKehoe

Gold Member
So what was everyone’s match of the year? I think mine is Will Ospreay vs Shingo Takagi from the Best Of The Super Juniors final.

NickFire

Two things dawned on me recently.

1) The WWF attitude era was so successful that it has held wrestling back for almost 20 years now. What I mean is, thanks to Rock, Stone Cold, etc., WWE became so big it became a publicly traded company. But since then, it has chased the magic of the late 90's while never allowing the conditions that created the magic to continue because of how publicly traded companies operate.

2) I've lost all interest in wrestling.

DKehoe

Gold Member

New Japan continuing to not forgive Impact for what they did with Okada even though the people running it has changed multiple times since then.

Hinedorf

Banned
So what was everyone’s match of the year? I think mine is Will Ospreay vs Shingo Takagi from the Best Of The Super Juniors final.

Moxley vs Omega at AEW Full Gear was fucking brutal, haven't seen a match that ugly since Hell in a Cell

Hinedorf

Banned
Time to bitch about AEW! Not sure what has happened in the last 2 weeks but it seems they are definitely going away from being humorous and frequently taking itself way too seriously.

Besides a penis what's the difference between Nyla Rose and Awesome Kong as far as what they have to offer inside and outside the ring?

Cody was never the biggest star on the roster, he's acting like a midcard jobber

The Cody/MJF gimmick is dead, how can you expect it to work if they never confront one another

Another Jericho promo completely lacking of humor going with the bully angle that fails

I very much look forward to my Wednesday AEWs, it's been disappointing 3 weeks going

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Impact would probably want Okada, Naito, Tanahashi, or Ibushi to put over Tessa since they're so adamant on shoving her down people's throats in order to get a crumb of mainstream attention.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
What about the dustin vs cody match?

It was rough to see folks come out to help them pull whatever the fake barbed wire lodged in their skin it was, felt like a work that was so brutal it was a work and a shoot at the same time, once is enough for me!

Omega-Moxley-barbwire-spot-fullgear.jpg

DKehoe

Gold Member
It was rough to see folks come out to help them pull whatever the fake barbed wire lodged in their skin it was, felt like a work that was so brutal it was a work and a shoot at the same time, once is enough for me!

Omega-Moxley-barbwire-spot-fullgear.jpg

Omega said it was legit barbed wire. He said the idea of shaving the barbs down was talked about but he talked to a few death match guys who said that just leads to you getting scratched, not pierced, and that’s worse for scarring.

Personally I wasn't into that match. It just felt like them going from one hardcore spot to the next without much build up between spots. Also that feud didn’t feel like it justified that kind of match so it seemed like they were doing it just to do it. I much preferred Cody and Dustin which to me told a much better story.

cryptoadam

Banned
It feels like AEW is running the same storyline over and over.

We have will MOX join the inner circle. Will Page stay with the elite. Who will join the Nightmear collective. And who will join the dark order. Both the NC and DO have mystery men.

Its a bit repetative that all their storylines are basically will Sting join the NWO.

Bullet Club

The return of AEW Dynamite to TNT with a live program after taking Christmas night off last week scored the best viewership since Oct. 16 with 967,000 viewers. NXT, which aired a pre-taped 2019 Awards program, took a big hit to viewership, dropping to 548,000, it’s lowest viewership to date on USA Network. Both shows went up against the College Football Championship game.

The demographic leads were predictably strong for AEW, with a 0.52 rating in the M18-49 demo, well above NXT’s 0.17 rating. In the male 18-34 demo, AEW led by a 0.26 to 0.10 margin. Among all adults, AEW more than doubled NXT with a 0.36 to 0.15 margin.

No real competition this week but it's nice to see AEW's ratings bounce back up.

Hinedorf

Banned

No real competition this week but it's nice to see AEW's ratings bounce back up.

I can't find anything likable about NXT as it just seems like the Cruiserweight/Lesbian brand of WWE. I actually tried tuning in the last 2 weeks and it's 3 folks I've never heard of talking about NXT and promptly turned it off.

If AEW can't bury that in the ratings the end is nigh

Last edited:

Bullet Club

I can't find anything likable about NXT as it just seems like the Cruiserweight/Lesbian brand of WWE. I actually tried tuning in the last 2 weeks and it's 3 folks I've never heard of talking about NXT and promptly turned it off.

If AEW can't bury that in the ratings the end is nigh
NXT does well with the older demos and WWE have been putting some of their bigger stars on the show, so it's not really an easy beat. It has a solid following and is usually pretty good.

AEW is still fairly new so it will take some time for them to build an audience. Plus Dynamite has been fairly up and down quality wise.

DKehoe

Gold Member
She does deserve it. A fantastic wrestler who I'm sure everyone will come around once she jumps to aew or wwe.

WWE and AEW are both going to be after her in a big way once she’s a free agent. Not sure who else you can say that about on Impact’s roster.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
I agree. I could see Brian Cage getting some offers perhaps. Maybe Sami.

Cage I could see in AEW but I believe WWE didn’t want him before due to wellness reasons. But maybe that’s changed now.

Sami was kind of a dud in NXT but maybe he’d do better if he went back. And there’s probably a spooky cult he could join in AEW. To be honest he’s one that I’ve never been as high on as other people seem to be.

So yeh while I could see either of those two ending up in one of those they aren’t going to spark a bidding war in the way Tessa will.

DKehoe

Gold Member
None currently. I was gonna watch some NJPW stuff but I just don't have the time to catch up or find videos. I did see the Kenny Olivier matches though.

I dunno if you're familiar with him but I think you'd like Minoru Suzuki. He's a grumpy old fuck who wrestles a realistic shoot style (trained by both Karl Gotch and Billy Robinson as well as being one of the founders of Pancrase) who beats the fuck out of the young trainees for fun.

b220b054b01b196ad07f95c6efd59cc765bfe532_hq.gif

giphy.gif

Also scares the shit out of your good friend Kenny

tumblr_p5axq9ciMc1qcg3kxo1_500.gifv

And takes feedback from fans well

DaUxwXjVAAAKRwb.jpg

Ovek

7Member7
I dunno if you're familiar with him but I think you'd like Minoru Suzuki. He's a grumpy old fuck who wrestles a realistic shoot style (trained by both Karl Gotch and Billy Robinson as well as being one of the founders of Pancrase) who beats the fuck out of the young trainees for fun.

b220b054b01b196ad07f95c6efd59cc765bfe532_hq.gif

giphy.gif

Also scares the shit out of your good friend Kenny

tumblr_p5axq9ciMc1qcg3kxo1_500.gifv

And takes feedback from fans well

DaUxwXjVAAAKRwb.jpg

He is my favourite wrestler by far. I’m quite hyped for his future NJPW match against Jon Moxley.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Just finished Night 2. Fantastic show overall imo.

Naito's story culminating with the win after seeing him lose to Okada at WK 12 was amazing.

Yeh, Naito's story has been one of the best in years. I was gutted when he didn't win at WK12 but doing it this time, and working the IC title in made it so much better. Him still trying to hit the Stardust Press was a nice touch.

If you've not seen it before this video does a really great story recapping it up to WK12. It's also a good example of New Japan mixing reality into it's storytelling.

Last edited:

Thabass

Two things dawned on me recently.

1) The WWF attitude era was so successful that it has held wrestling back for almost 20 years now. What I mean is, thanks to Rock, Stone Cold, etc., WWE became so big it became a publicly traded company. But since then, it has chased the magic of the late 90's while never allowing the conditions that created the magic to continue because of how publicly traded companies operate.

2) I've lost all interest in wrestling.

I would suggest trying out other avenues. WWE isn't the end-all be-all of wrestling. Check out AEW or New Japan Pro Wrestling. AEW is on TNT, so it's pretty easy to find there (unless you don't have cable) and NJPW can be found over at njpwworld.com. You need a sub for that though, but it's only $9.99 (or it was when I subbed to it).

Also, WWE isn't completely without merit either. NXT is far and away the best thing WWE has.

Hinedorf

Banned
Not sure where AEW is going from week to week, some lackluster performances to say the least

During the middle of the match between Private party and Hangman/Omega it looked like one of the guys from Private Party completely ran out of gas delivering elbows back and forth in the ring that you could visibly see Omega motioning him to hurry up like WTF IS TAKING SO LONG. I don't think I ever wan't to see Private Party again after that, just lazy work rate.

Another MJF mic promo that's the same one he's done for weeks, they're not building an angle, they're letting it stagnate at the same exact place it was from when the cheap shot occurred, just bad writing imo

I love how Brandi Rhodes looks but putting her on mic with the announcers was a huge mistake as she either talked too loudly or too quietly frequently distracting from everything in the ring with her shrill voice.

I'm in love with Hikaru Shida, dunno why

Is Riho vs Awesome Kong going to make for an entertaining match? Does anybody want that match?

Everybody rejects the Dark Order, either make them legit threatening or go back to a more comical angle

Predictable ending with Moxley, keeping the Inner Circle angle going for at least another week would have been a much better way to end the show as you'd come into next week wanting to see exactly what they finished with last night, completely wasted angle they spent weeks building to kill in 1 shot.

Top Bottom