• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

DKehoe

Well, they did it. They made Tessa the champion. Might as well. Anything to try and create some buzz. She's as credible a lady as you can get. imo. Sad to see Cage go but that seems to be Impacts role now. Developmental for WWE and now AEW.

Oh and If I never see another canadian destroyer again it'll be too soon. That shit has become the new ddt. It use to be an amazing protected move that Petey Willams did. Now it's everywhere.

I’m really not someone who usually complains about “they’re doing too many moves!” But I saw the finish of the Tessa match and she (if I’m remembering this right) did a Canadian Destroyer to set up a top rope Canadian Destroyer to set up a DDT. People don’t need to do that much. Okada is the best wrestler in the world and his finisher is a short arm clothesline.

That move used to be the most mindblowing thing in wrestling and now everyone does it.

cryptoadam

Banned
Candian destroyer has bern killed. That and the Spanish Fly.

Only way a CD is impressive is if you have heavyweights doing it. Keith Lee or Piper Niven its still impressive. But its s transition move now. I think once you had a CD off a ladder and threw a table it was done.

DKehoe

Candian destroyer has bern killed. That and the Spanish Fly.

Only way a CD is impressive is if you have heavyweights doing it. Keith Lee or Piper Niven its still impressive. But its s transition move now. I think once you had a CD off a ladder and threw a table it was done.

The thing about the Canadian Destoyer is it's a bit of a gimmick. The person taking it actually does all the work. Ibushi was able to have that doll give him Canadian Destoyer after Canadian Destoyer because it relies on the person taking it to make it happen, the person giving it is basically just along for the ride. Also, once 63 year old Ricky Morton is doing them then maybe they aren't a sign to your audience that you're an elite level athlete.

cryptoadam

Banned
The thing about the Canadian Destoyer is it's a bit of a gimmick. The person taking it actually does all the work. Ibushi was able to have that doll give him Canadian Destoyer after Canadian Destoyer because it relies on the person taking it to make it happen, the person giving it is basically just along for the ride. Also, once 63 year old Ricky Morton is doing them then maybe they aren't a sign to your audience that you're an elite level athlete.

Pretty much. I saw the Ibushi video with him doing 10 CD's in a row LOL. And ya when a 63 year old is doing the move it loses all its impressivness. I still think seeing a big dude doing it adds to the spectacle because even being along for the ride its impressive to see a guy like Keith Lee flipping like that.

But the mystique of the move is trash now. Its making the statue of liberty disapearing and then having every magician in town even the one going to your 5 year olds Bday doing the trick over and over again, with many doing it so poorly it gives away the entire trick.

DKehoe

Pretty much. I saw the Ibushi video with him doing 10 CD's in a row LOL. And ya when a 63 year old is doing the move it loses all its impressivness. I still think seeing a big dude doing it adds to the spectacle because even being along for the ride its impressive to see a guy like Keith Lee flipping like that.

But the mystique of the move is trash now. Its making the statue of liberty disapearing and then having every magician in town even the one going to your 5 year olds Bday doing the trick over and over again, with many doing it so poorly it gives away the entire trick.

Yeh, the cycle of wrestling is always that innovations get adopted by lots of people and just become part of the norm. So it's natural really. But the Canadian Destroyer was such a "wait, what the fuck was that!?" move when Petey Williams was doing it in TNA and it's so it's odd to see it be so common place now. But that's just wrestling really.

This post:

It's a 2 week ban.
Damn... LOL!

Also, love WWEonFox Twitter

GreatnessRD

Still trying to find any good reason as to why they gave Blanchard the top title in the promotion. Guess I shouldn't be too surprised since outlaw Callahan was the defending champion. Seems like a super goofy move that just screams "Look at us, we're progessive!" instead of making sense. Who do they think I'm actually going to believe that Tessa Blanchard can defend the title against? So dumb, lol

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Still trying to find any good reason as to why they gave Blanchard the top title in the promotion. Guess I shouldn't be too surprised since outlaw Callahan was the defending champion. Seems like a super goofy move that just screams "Look at us, we're progessive!" instead of making sense. Who do they think I'm actually going to believe that Tessa Blanchard can defend the title against? So dumb, lol
Impact is now a Canadian company, so trying to look progressive is exactly why they did it. And Impact as a promotion is starved for any attention as it is.

They painted themselves into a corner with this story, and had to pull the trigger last night regardless of how shitty a person she is, but I think it's hurt the title. Just never been a fan of intergender matches.

GreatnessRD

Impact is now a Canadian company, so trying to look progressive is exactly why they did it. And Impact as a promotion is starved for any attention as it is.

They painted themselves into a corner with this story, and had to pull the trigger last night regardless of how shitty a person she is, but I think it's hurt the title. Just never been a fan of intergender matches.
Yeah, I feel you. They shit on both the women's division and the men's division with this dumbass garbage. And yeah, she's absolute trash and karma will get that ass one of these days.

Canadians ruin everything they touched!

DKehoe

They’re maybe the 5th biggest promotion vying for people’s attention at a time where fans have an incredible amount of choice in what they can watch. I guess they felt they needed to do something different to stand out.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Jesus, I feel like I'm the great Impact/Tessa defender in here but I'm pretty cool with it. What Tessa may have said in the past aside I feel like she's a superstar. There was bound to be a female world champion in a "big" promotion someday so it might as well be in Impact.

I hope they can gain some momentum this year and build the promotion back up. I'm not sure if they can ever get back into the distant number 2 they were in their heyday but as someone who's been a fan of theirs for over a decade, I hope so. You can tell that the core roster and the people behind the scenes are really trying their damndest and it shows. Impact defense force out lol.

DKehoe

That's not great. Stealing glory and all.

Yeh. I believe this all started because a thread someone made on the Observer board asking about it. So a few people decided to look into it. From what I had read about it, it did seem very much like he hadn't served. He was always incredibly vague when asked about it and the details he did give about a time frame clashed with what people knew about his wrestling career. But this confirms it. I don't think anyone has an issue with the character being a marine drill sergeant but he always insisted it had been true in real life too.

Bullet Club

Next they will tell us that Duke "The Dumpster" Droese never worked as a garbage man.

Wanna hear Tessa Blanchard taking a dump?

Now we need to hear Tully take a dump so we can compare them.

Hinedorf

Banned
AEW vaporwave tonight dawgs

Predictions for tonight:
Brit Baker will lose to somebody
The Dark Order will bother a jobber but the jobber still wont join them
Cody will pull out a close victory against a jobber he's paying all thanks to Arn Anderson doing something stupidly telegraphed
MJF will cut the same promo from the last 3 weeks

Expectations low, still excited and hopeful

DKehoe

Nice tribute to Rocky Johnson on the latest Observer Radio. Meltzer talked about his career for about 37 minutes. I know Meltzer’s an unpopular figure for some but he’s pretty much unrivalled for his ability to be able to just talk knowledgeably about more or less anything to do with wrestling history from any time period or area.

GreatnessRD

Yeh. I believe this all started because a thread someone made on the Observer board asking about it. So a few people decided to look into it. From what I had read about it, it did seem very much like he hadn't served. He was always incredibly vague when asked about it and the details he did give about a time frame clashed with what people knew about his wrestling career. But this confirms it. I don't think anyone has an issue with the character being a marine drill sergeant but he always insisted it had been true in real life too.
Because like some of us, he thought kayfabe should never die! But the internet and social media has completely ruined the idea. #hatetoseeit

GreatnessRD

I’m curious, when do you think kayfabe died?
I'll say 2010. But that's a guesstimate since I stopped watching religiously in 2005 after I graduated high school. But keeping up with it on social media and whatnot, that's when I say it was the beginning of the end. But that then is tolerable compared to what it is in 2020. For wrestling to be thriving as much as it is today, it feels furthest from actual wrestling to me. Championships mean absolutely nothing in this day and age. Sucks, lol

cryptoadam

Banned
AEW getting renewed for 4 years is huge.

2 years from now the biz is going to be very different. I expect some big name WWE and NXT guys to wind up in AEW. It won't happen overnight but in 2 years from now I think we are going to see different rosters.

Dthomp

AEW getting renewed for 4 years is huge.

2 years from now the biz is going to be very different. I expect some big name WWE and NXT guys to wind up in AEW. It won't happen overnight but in 2 years from now I think we are going to see different rosters.

Not sure about guys jumping, most resignings the last year and a half have all been 5 year deals, and I imagine that's gonna be the norm going forward for WWE to just keep people away from them. The renewal is good for AEW, but I'm surprised it came this quick. I mean, they probably get good to better ratings then most other TNT shows so good for TNT, but AEW really needs to step up their game IMO. Storylines are already stagnant for a few of these guys, and it shows that they really need to get more people trained or brought into their roster. Same dudes every week having the same boring tag team matches has already gotten old for me.

Bullet Club

-- AEW Dynamite scored it’s second straight comfortable victory over NXT on USA in the live plus same-night-DVR viewership numbers last night, as measured by the Nielsen Company that samples viewership in thousands of homes around the country to estimate total viewership. AEW drew 940,000 viewers (down from 947,000 last week) and NXT drew 700,000 (down from 721,000 last week). The lead grew to 240,000, up from 226,000 last week.

The AEW cable rating of 0.68 compared to the NXT cable rating of 0.55.

In the key demo rating of 18-49 ratings, AEW outdrew NXT by a 0.38 to 0.21 margin, better than last week’s 0.36 to 0.26 margin. Among the male 18-49 demo, AEW doubled NXT’s rating – 0.51 to 0.26. Among the young male demo, AEW nearly doubled NXT – 0.29 to 0.16 margin.

Besides the strong demo numbers for AEW relative to NXT, the big reason for AEW and TNT to celebrate is they finished in the top five of all cable shows on Wednesday night the key 18-49 demo, including beating the early NBA game they went head to head with on ESPN (Philadelphia 76ers vs. Brooklyn Nets). The NBA game rounded to a 0.3 demo rating, below AEW’s rounded number o.4. AEW also outdrew the NBA game in total viewers by a slim margin of 940,000 to 934,000. The second NBA game on ESPN finished no. 1 in the 18-49 demo rankings.

If not for Rachel Maddow’s big interview with Lev Parnas on MSNBC last night, AEW would have finished no. 4. The Maddow show drew one of its better viewership totals of 4.469 million, good for no. 2 in the demo rankings and no. 1 in total viewership by a wide margin among all cable shows.

Regarding last week’s viewership (1/8), after tallying three additional days of delayed viewers, AEW drew 1,170,000 (up from 947,000) while NXT drew 899,000 (up from 721,000). AEW added 223,000 viewers; NXT added 188,000 viewers.

Two weeks ago (1/1), taking into account a full seven additional days of delayed viewers, NXT ended up with 688,000 viewers, up from 548,000 live viewers. AEW ended up with 1,228,000 viewers, up from 967,000. That was the third-best +7 day viewership Dynamite has drawn, and the best since Oct. 16. The best viewership total was for its premiere episode on Oct. 2 that drew 1.741 in the 7+ day tally.

hz9rNjy.png

-- For the first time since 2009, KENTA is returning to Ring of Honor.

KENTA will be in action at Supercard of Honor XIV in Lakeland, Florida on Saturday, April 4. He's the third Bullet Club member and fourth NJPW wrestler announced for the show. It will also feature Jay White, El Phantasmo, and Will Ospreay.

Villain Enterprises (ROH World Champion PCO, Marty Scurll, Brody King & Flip Gordon), La Faccion Ingobernable (Rush, ROH Television Champion Dragon Lee, Kenny King & Amy Rose), Slex, Session Moth Martina, Jeff Cobb, and ROH Tag Team Champion Jay Lethal are also advertised for Supercard of Honor XIV.

KENTA will challenge Tetsuya Naito for both the IWGP Heavyweight and Intercontinental titles in the main event of NJPW's the New Beginning in Osaka on Sunday, February 9.

Supercard of Honor XIV is taking place at the RP Funding Center in Lakeland and will go against NXT TakeOver: Tampa on April 4. Tickets for Supercard of Honor went on sale to the general public this morning.

The Bullet Club is also holding their Bullet Club Beach Party at Whiskey Joe’s in Tampa earlier in the day on April 4.

-- Pro Wrestling Sheet has learned Kalisto recently signed a new WWE contract extension.

Sources tell us the 33-year-old wrestler, who is currently part of Lucha House Party, has come to terms on a multi-year contract extension with WWE.

As you may recall, Kalisto tweeted last year making it known he had 10 months left on his contract and that he’d become a free agent in early 2020. The tweet caught the attention of his co-worker Braun Strowman who replied saying, “Adios.”

Sources tell us Kalisto decided to re-sign with WWE because the wrestler feels as though he still has a lot left to accomplish in the company.

Let the Lucha House Party commence!

KKxnxd4.jpg

Top Bottom